• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 395376
It's hard to say. I'm assuming we're getting both Smash 6 and Gen 10 in 2026 - that pretty much rules out Gen 10 in base, but at the same time we're also four years removed from Scarlet and Violet. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think we're getting a new Pokemon in the next Smash game, but I think it'll be the least promotional since Mewtwo - basically whatever Sakurai thinks would be the most interesting addition that was created after Ultimate. It could be a S/V Pokemon, but it could also be from SWSH or PLA or PLZ-A or even Melmetal. Who knows.

I'm not entirely sure about the Gen 10 Pokemon being DLC either. I'm still a little confused we didn't get a Galar Pokemon in the Ultimate DLC. Maybe TPC don't want new Pokemon to be DLC, and Mewtwo was a special case (being a veteran with presumably not enough time to finish development for base Smash 4)? Obviously hard to say with the limited data we have - I'm just kinda yapping
Going back to this, here's the list for who I think are on the table if my "any Pokemon prominent on the Switch" theory is correct. Bolded Pokemon are those I think are more likely.
  • Eevee
  • Melmetal
  • Rillaboom
  • Cinderace
  • Inteleon
  • Toxtricity
  • Dragapult
  • Zacian
  • Urshifu
  • Zoroark
  • Meowscarada
  • Quaquaval
  • Armarouge
  • Ceruledge
  • Tinkaton
  • Gholdengo
  • Ogerpon
  • Zygarde
  • Zeraora(This is a pre-existing Pokemon that was mentioned in the Game Freak Leak as getting attention in Z-A. They could end up scrapping it, or it could happen but not be important in the slightest, but I'm mentioning it to pad out the list)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, he didn't destroy them as he saw them as a greatest pride and creation of the Chozo and that they represented the great power of the Chozo, which he seeks and favors. But obviously, that includes weaponizing them.

Also, he didn't simply peace out, after slaughtering the Chozo and taking Quiet Beak back to Dread's planet, a lone X got aboard one of his Mawkin ships and he and whatever Chozo he had left spent time to contain them and when they did, only then did he try to come back for the Metroids only to find out they've been destroyed.

And Samus clones or a clone is going to happen at some point. Cloning has been a common thing in Metroid between the Bottleship Incident and the multiple attempts at Metroid clones, the Space Pirates and another group have been trying to make and reverse-engineer Samus' Power Suit and Gear like the Morph Ball, it just feels like a "When" in regards to a clone of Samus because Raven Beak certainly can't have been the only one to make the attempt. So far, there's been two versions of doppelgangers for Samus.
  • Dark Samus who is Metroid Prime that took Samus' suit and DNA to make itself a new body after the destruction of it's old body by her hand, but is still very much Metroid Prime in mind and intelligence. A doppelganger with the body of the copied, but with the mind of a completely different being.
  • SA-X which is a parasite that attempted to kill Samus, but was unable to, but meanwhile, it used her suit's removed parts to allow it to transform into a version of Samus, although it's very much driven by instinct and behaviour much like a typical animal, with only hints of possible intelligence. An animalistic doppelganger of the copied driven by instinct, behavioural and somewhat hivemind-like patterns with only hints of intelligence.
Basically, the only clone/doppelganger that hasn't happened for Samus is the doppelganger that is practically the exact same as the original, in both body and mind. One that believes themselves to be the original or a better version. And man, there's alot of paths on where that could go.
Oh yeeeaaah, there was an X-Parasite on the ship. Forgot about that. Been a while since I played Dread. In general I've been meaning to properly get into the Metroid games, but I just haven't had the chance

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Going back to this, here's the list for who I think are on the table if my "any Pokemon prominent on the Switch" theory is correct. Bolded Pokemon are those I think are more likely.
  • Eevee
  • Melmetal
  • Rillaboom
  • Cinderace
  • Inteleon
  • Toxtricity
  • Dragapult
  • Zacian
  • Urshifu
  • Zoroark
  • Meowscarada
  • Quaquaval
  • Armarouge
  • Ceruledge
  • Tinkaton
  • Ogerpon
  • Zygarde
  • Zeraora(This is a pre-existing Pokemon that was mentioned in the Game Freak Leak as getting attention in Z-A. They could end up scrapping it, or it could happen but not be important in the slightest, but I'm mentioning it to pad out the list)
My favorites here are Ceruledge, Toxtricity, Zoroark, Zeraora, and Meowscarada. If I could only pick one, I’d love to see (Hisuian) Zoroark out of these options.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • Eevee
  • Melmetal
  • Rillaboom
  • Cinderace
  • Inteleon
  • Toxtricity
  • Dragapult
  • Zacian
  • Urshifu
  • Zoroark
  • Meowscarada
  • Quaquaval
  • Armarouge
  • Ceruledge
  • Tinkaton
  • Ogerpon
  • Zygarde
Out of all these options, I'd personally go with Cinderace, Meowscarada, and Tinkaton. Honorable mention to Gholdengo, since he was designed to be Pokémon #1000.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I don't know if it's who they'd pick, but I'd like Narmaya as a stance-changing sword fighter.
I don't think she's the most likely pick but with her popularity she is absolutely on the Shortlist

I think the most likely are some combination of Gran, Djeeta and Lyria but I think Narmaya is up there as solid second pick with characters like Katalina and Sandalphon

• Eevee
  • Melmetal
  • Rillaboom
  • Cinderace
  • Inteleon
  • Toxtricity
  • Dragapult
  • Zacian
  • Urshifu
  • Zoroark
  • Meowscarada
  • Quaquaval
  • Armarouge
  • Ceruledge
  • Tinkaton
  • Gholdengo
  • Ogerpon
  • Zygarde
Yeah I agree with pretty much all of these, I'd also add Skeledirge and personally I don't see Melmetal having as much of a chance as someone like Ogerpon, but they're definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m still hoping for Gengar and I don’t think it’s completely out of the question. It’s been a really consistently popular Pokemon that’s made every game so far. It had both a Mega and a Gigantimax so it definitely gets pushed enough. They’ll probably want to promote a more recent Pokemon instead but if they decide to go with another classic, I’d imagine Gengar is near the top of the list.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Nintendo and Game Freak remade Pokémon Black & White, do you think they'd be called Onyx Black & Platinum White?
Not Platinum White because that'd be a completely different game.

My guess would be that it'd have to do with the game's mascot theming so maybe Truthful Black and Idyllic White?

EDIT: Actually on second thought, referring to black as truthful and especially white as idyllic is a terrible idea. Darth's suggestion below is way more sensible. In fact I almost feel dumb for not having it it's that simple.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ya know, we were talking about mages before. And with Jamboree out, I think there's a real discussion to be had about Kamek. He's always been fairly important to the overall world of Mario, but lately it feels like he's actually been given a pretty significant spotlight.

Like, the switch has been extremely kind to him. Mario Kart 8, Mario Party Jamboree (this one is especially notable), Mario Wonder, Mario Tennis Aces. The RPGs especially have used to great effect since the 3DS era. Notably Kamek even had the first real line of the Mario Movie.

But what sticks out to me is one of the common counter arguments against Kamek. He's just a generic Magikoopa and his design isn't unique enough from them. Thing is though, I don't that's necessarily true anymore

Characters having the name of their species isn't anything new, look at Toad and Yoshi. But Kamek does stand because he's kinda meant to be really important. Like he has super established character relationships with Bowser, being the guy who raised. You could swap out Yoshi for any other colour and not much changes, Kamek is a little different.

And I think Nintendo has recognised this. Because they don't seem to use generic Magikoopas anymore. On switch, not counting remakes, you have
-Bowsers Fury, a game that repurposes 3D World assets
-Mario Maker 2, a game that lets you create custom levels using classic stuff. And it kinda multipurpose having Kameks as a species since you can place multiple Bowser's down anyway
-Sparks of Hope, A Ubisoft game

Everything else is Kamek.

He's really starting to establish himself as a Mario series staple almost on the level of Jr. I'd be curious to see what his future is like in the Nintendo era

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Characters having the name of their species isn't anything new, look at Toad and Yoshi. But Kamek does stand because he's kinda meant to be really important. Like he has super established character relationships with Bowser, being the guy who raised. You could swap out Yoshi for any other colour and not much changes, Kamek is a little different.

And I think Nintendo has recognised this. Because they don't seem to use generic Magikoopas anymore. On switch, not counting remakes, you have
-Bowsers Fury, a game that repurposes 3D World assets
-Mario Maker 2, a game that lets you create custom levels using classic stuff. And it kinda multipurpose having Kameks as a species since you can place multiple Bowser's down anyway
-Sparks of Hope, A Ubisoft game

Everything else is Kamek.
Today I learned: The US is the only region where Kamek isn't the Magikoopa's species name.

Their absence might have more to do with how weird an enemy they are in 2D. Super Mario World, Super Mario Maker and its sequel, and that remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 are their only 2D appearances not counting Kamek's roles in the Yoshi's Island series. Why they're not in Super Mario Odyssey is a good question, but considering they don't really appear in 2D games, it makes sense they're not in Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Thinking about it though, Kamek himself seems to be a 2D staple, as while you never fight him, he's usually the explanation for fortress bosses that aren't Bowser Jr., Boom Boom, or a Koopaling. Still don't think this is them phasing out Magikoopas in favor of him persay, especially with them making regular appearances in 3D since Super Mario Galaxy, and having appeared as enemies in various spin-offs, but he's definitely a prominant figure in the Super Mario franchise. In fact he's probably the most prominant character that never appears on any merch to my knowledge.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
What characters do you want to see as Assist Trophies? Please be serious, not just because you don't want that character to not be a fighter and annoy other people.
My list is:

• Sparkster, from Rocket Knight Adventures
  • TwinBee, from TwinBee
  • something from Space Invaders
  • Tetris blocks
  • Pyramid Head, from Silent Hill
  • Mumbo Jumbo, from Banjo-Kazooie
  • Peppino Spaghetti, from Pizza Tower
  • Adeline From Kirby
  • Zant (possibly replacing midna) From Zelda
  • Duster From Mother 3

Top Bottom