• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So as far as N64 games, that leaves Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and the original Super Smash Bros. Anything else I'm missing?

(Also, for some reason my first thought seeing Grunty's laser thing was K. Rool's Final Smash. I doubt they'd use that for hers if SHE were added, but I think it'd be cool: giant lasers are cool in general).
From the Rare side of the fence, there's also Killer Instinct Gold and Mickey's Speedway USA...thought the latter being tangled with Disney makes it more uncertain (though I wouldn't completely rule it out).

There's other stuff like the Cruis'n trilogy, Animal Forest (for Japan users only), and the third party stuff like Bomberman, Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle 64, etc provided if Nintendo can get their respective owners to play ball.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Third party N64 titles I suspect will probably come from the respective companies' future collections (Bomberman) or quirky individual releases (Glover, Mischief Makers).

Certain NES/SNES/GB/GBC third party titles they can grab either because the games are considered old enough to not have much value as individual purchases/part collections (see Castlevania Legends & the Game Boy Mega Man titles) or the companies that owned them are scattered to the wind so getting them is cheap once the rights are figured out (see the large number of Data East games all over the NES & SNES libraries).

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Come to think of it, some Cruis'n content for Smash would be pretty cool. At least some music.

Oh, and maybe some content from Ridge Racer and Daytona USA (and other SEGA racing games) too.
The coolest thing would be for Nintendo to get the N64 and Arcade versions of the original trilogy to basically really allow a full experience of the series.

Though that might be my preference for getting the arcade versions of the main themes:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Based on timing, do you think we could get a Gen 9 Pokémon in the base game of the next Smash and a Gen 10 Pokémon as DLC?
Depends entirely on when smash next is releasing, but if we didn't get a gen 8 min as dlc in Ult I'm not so sure we'd get two pokemon reps in the next smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Depends entirely on when smash next is releasing, but if we didn't get a gen 8 min as dlc in Ult I'm not so sure we'd get two pokemon reps in the next smash.
Although there might be a timing issue when it comes to Pokémon. I think it's possible that Smash 6 might come out before Gen 10 does.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Since im betting big on gen 10 being 2026, I think the 3 scenarios would be:

1. Smash Ult Deluxe relesses in 2025, gets a gen x newcomer as dlc (unlikely)

2. Smash next and gen 10 release the same year, and a Greninja esque situation happens (also less likely)

3. Smash next releases 2027, and a gen x newcomer is naturally base game.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I don't think he has a chance, but I'd love to hear what the Smash composers would do with the Jetpack Joyride theme.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with Smash OST brainworms. Every time I play a game, I think at least once "Wow what would a Smash-style remix of this track be like?"

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Based on timing, do you think we could get a Gen 9 Pokémon in the base game of the next Smash and a Gen 10 Pokémon as DLC?
Maybe? But we'd have to see what the releases are like. Z-A definitely releases next year. Gen X probably releases the following year, though GameFreak might switch to regular biannual releases to avoid rushing the games; In this case, Gen X would be pushed back to 2027. Smash usually launches two years into a console's lifecycle, and the witch 2 was rumored to be pushed back from a 2024 release to shore up launch titles; Based on that, we can infer Smash 6 drops late 2026/early 2027.

So laid out like that, it would be a solid 4-5 years since Scarlet and Violet released, compared to the two years between Sun and Moon and Incineroar being added to Ultimate. It sounds like enough time would have passed for Gen X to release and become the hot new thing, whereas Gen IX would be left in the dust.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pokémon just can't be predictable until closer to time, and even then it might still be a wild card. If Gen 10 comes out the year before, then obviously we're getting a starter from those games. My current prediction is that they come out the same year, which places it in the realm of possibility, but almost entirely without precedence, as Roy is probably the only character added within that tight a window.

If it releases the year after, then what'll they do instead? We know it won't be nothing, so would they take the opportunity to add another iconic rep like Eevee or Garchomp? Mix things up with something silly like Psyduck or Bidoof? I genuinely don't know.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm aware, but I don't think missing attacks like an RPG works well in a fighting game. If you hit the opponent, you should hit it. To get a similar feeling across, they could simply highlight that absurd defense stat and turn it into a tank.
Or just make it incredibly fast and dodgy.

What characters do you want to see as Assist Trophies?
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Protoman [Mega Man]
Majima [Like a Dragon]
Pyramid Head [Silent Hill]
Cactuar or Tomberry [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime [Dragon Quest]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Mike Jones [Star Tropics]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Bernard [Maniac Mansion]

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Honestly I could see another Konami character as a whole, Silent Hill makes sense but it could also be from contra or Suikoden.
CONTRA!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with Smash OST brainworms. Every time I play a game, I think at least once "Wow what would a Smash-style remix of this track be like?"
Give 'em to me!

What's your opinions on either of them?
I think I'm colorblind and can't tell your veterans from your newcomers. :p

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Honestly I could see another Konami character as a whole, Silent Hill makes sense but it could also be from contra or Suikoden.
I just remembered; ever since the last few Spirit Events earlier this year, I’ve been wanting to see Power Pro-kun as a fighter unironically.

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
I think I'm coloblind and can't tell your veterans from your newcomers. :p
oh :p
The newcomers in the smaller one are Waluigi, Dixie (e), Urbosa, Sylux, Bandanna Dee, G10 Pokemon, Noah (XC3), Issac, Shadow (e), Rayman and Dante. The larger one also adds Impa (e), Alear/New FE, Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) and Octoling (e)

Last edited:

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
Here's my explainations for each of the picks:
Wah, BWD, Issac: These are this game's ridley or banjo, the "holy **** they're finally here" characters.

Urbosa: Kinda a shoe-in for me, but I think the switch era of zelda should get a rep wholly to itself and while Rauru could work, the Champions are way more iconic and popular. Sidon would probably be the choice if this were to happen, but I chose Urbosa bc it'd give more representation with a new female character and the first fully non-fairskinned character in smash (villager and inkling don't count).

Sylux, G10, Noah, Alear: Reps for the newest games in these series, plus Sylux since I feel like nintendo will do a bigger makreting push for MP4 to get it to sell well to recoup the losses from the development cycle, and to gain popularity in Japan, where metroid doesn't sell as well.

Ayumi: The FDC series has had a resurgence in relevance in recent years bc of the remakes and Emio, she was considered for melee, and represents a franchise and game genre never represented. Plus she'd act as this game's wierd/retro rep.

The 3rd parties: I wanted to focus more on in-house characters, so I only chose 2 full new guests. Honestly these could go to anyone but I chose Rayman bc of Ubisoft's good relationship (although that might be changing soon), and Dante bc we could always use some new Capcom reps and he would have a fun playstyle.

The echoes: I know most of these could be entirely new characters, but I feel like it would take too much development time for characters that could just as easily be put over another character. Octoling was left off the smaller one bc I think actual characters would be more appealing than another blank avatar.

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
Here's my explainations for each of the picks:
Wah, BWD, Issac: These are this game's ridley or banjo, the "holy **** they're finally here" characters.

Urbosa: Kinda a shoe-in for me, but I think the switch era of zelda should get a rep wholly to itself and while Rauru could work, the Champions are way more iconic and popular. Sidon would probably be the choice if this were to happen, but I chose Urbosa bc it'd give more representation with a new female character and the first fully non-fairskinned character in smash (villager and inkling don't count).

Sylux, G10, Noah, Alear: Reps for the newest games in these series, plus Sylux since I feel like nintendo will do a bigger makreting push for MP4 to get it to sell well to recoup the losses from the development cycle, and to gain popularity in Japan, where metroid doesn't sell as well. Didn't include Alear on the first bc of Engage's lower reception and sales, plus most fan movesets I have seen from them haven't interested me. Also too much FE lol.

Ayumi: The FDC series has had a resurgence in relevance in recent years bc of the remakes and Emio, she was considered for melee, and represents a franchise and game genre never represented. Plus she'd act as this game's wierd/retro rep.

The 3rd parties: I wanted to focus more on in-house characters, so I only chose 2 full new guests. Honestly these could go to anyone but I chose Rayman bc of Ubisoft's good relationship (although that might be changing soon), and Dante bc we could always use some new Capcom reps and he would have a fun playstyle.

The echoes: I know most of these could be entirely new characters, but I feel like it would take too much development time for characters that could just as easily be put over another character. Octoling was left off the smaller one bc I think actual characters would be more appealing than another blank avatar.

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
What characters do you want to see as Assist Trophies? Please be serious, not just because you don't want that character to not be a fighter and annoy other people.
My list is:

• Sparkster, from Rocket Knight Adventures
  • TwinBee, from TwinBee
  • something from Space Invaders
  • Tetris blocks
  • Pyramid Head, from Silent Hill
  • Mumbo Jumbo, from Banjo-Kazooie
  • Peppino Spaghetti, from Pizza Tower
Psycho Mantis [Metal Gear]
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Porky Minch [Mother]
POW [Metal Slug]
Cranky Kong [Donkey Kong]
Tetris Blocks [Tetris]
Black Mage [Final Fantasy]
Slime [Dragon Quest]
Mumbo Jumbo [Banjo Kazoie]
Space Fever
Muddy Mole
Ballon Fighter [Ballon Fight]
Urban Fighter [Urban Champion]
Color TV-Game Racing 112
Color TV-Game Block Kuzushi

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There's other stuff like the Cruis'n trilogy, Animal Forest (for Japan users only), and the third party stuff like Bomberman, Mischief Makers, Ogre Battle 64, etc provided if Nintendo can get their respective owners to play ball.
The coolest thing would be for Nintendo to get the N64 and Arcade versions of the original trilogy to basically really allow a full experience of the series.

Though that might be my preference for getting the arcade versions of the main themes:

I, uh... guess everyone missed me about a page or so ago pointing out how Nintendo hasn't gotten around to adding the N64's OG Cruis'n trilogy onto NSO, huh?
Granted, I also mentioned how Cruis'n Velocity (for GBA) also isn't on GBA NSO. Although, does anyone expect THAT to be added (Velocity, I mean)?

Funny thing is, I honestly wouldn't have considered the possibility of Cruis'n coming to ANY NSO service, if it wasn't for Cruis'n Blast's Switch home port...

BTW, the reason Cruis'n Blast got a Switch port at all was because of the pandemic. Specifically, Eugene Jarvis (the series' creator) admitted that the arcade version's sales were REALLY being hurt by no one coming by to play the game (for understandable reasons), so the Switch port came about to recoup any potential losses.

Come to think of it, some Cruis'n content for Smash would be pretty cool. At least some music.

Oh, and maybe some content from Ridge Racer and Daytona USA (and other SEGA racing games) too.
I've talked about this quite a bit some time ago, but I'd actually LOVE a Cruis'n stage that serves as a sort of "remix" of the Big Blue and "Super Mute City" stages, where the cars are in the middle of a race while the characters are fighting on top of them.
Occasionally, the cars would perform tricks like flips, barrel rolls, "helicopters" and the like, launching characters off of them and forcing to find another car that's more "steady" to fight on.

Of course, I'd be perfectly fine with just Cruis'n music, as I imagine that Nintendo would need to write a pretty BIG paycheck to the various vehicle manufactures to have their vehicles featured in Smash Bros. (such as Chevrolet, Lamborghini, FIAT, etc.).

Speaking of music, I'd go nuts if Daytona's "Let's Go Away" theme song ever got into Smash. It'd almost certainly be an extra song on a Sonic stage, but I'd still take it all the same.
For that matter, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi doing Cruis'n music would also be a dream come true, as well...

Same goes for Ridge Racer music being on a PAC-MAN stage or Tekken (given R.R.'s connection to the latter series). Color me shocked if Reiko Nagase or Ai Fukami ever got Trophies/Spirits in Smash, though.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace

I want the purple Ape Piaggio as a playable character.

Come to think of it, Cruis'n even got a new game on Switch! It's pretty good, though it's no F-Zero.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not gonna lie, I cannot fathom the choice for most smash fan rosters to opt for Sylux over Raven Beak when Raven Beak is already a recent actually released Switch title that was commercially and critically acclaimed, has a great personality and story relevance, has an unfathomable amount of aura, and even an incredibly fleshed out potential moveset that we can actually see in action.

That, versus Sylux who we hope is maybe cool and important and does stuff in a game that'll drop anywhere within 2025 but is otherwise a nonentity.

And yes, this is biased.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not gonna lie, I cannot fathom the choice for most smash fan rosters to opt for Sylux over Raven Beak when Raven Beak is already a recent actually released Switch title that was commercially and critically acclaimed, has a great personality and story relevance, has an unfathomable amount of aura, and even an incredibly fleshed out potential moveset that we can actually see in action.

That, versus Sylux who we hope is maybe cool and important and does stuff in a game that'll drop anywhere within 2025 but is otherwise a nonentity.

And yes, this is biased.
Maybe because this is a speculation thread and it's not unreasonable to think Sylux would do cool **** in Prime 4 before a new Smash game is announced?

Fully agreed on Raven Beak being an amazing pick, but sometimes I like playing the devil's advocate. :p

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord

And yes, this is biased.
Sylux has been around for almost two decades.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
But they haven't done much across that time. Outside from their initial playable appearance in Hunter's nearly 20 years ago they've only had a cameo in MP3 and FF, one of which was just their ship and the other was on a gane many fans did not play (for circumstances outside of its quality, but still).

Sylux as a character is still very unestablished. Partially by design, but also because we've barely gotten anything on them in general. MP4 is the first time we'll actually get a good feel for the character, but otherwise they're coasting on an old game, two cameos, and the promise of something good.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Goombas have been around for almost four decades and we don't see anyone talk about them. Should we start campaigning for those little guys then?

Longevity does not correlate with how much someone matters within its franchise, and Sylux really hasn't done much.

Sure, he has a boss fight in Hunters but what after that? A bunch of cameos? Prime 4 really is what's going to make or break him, imo.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Hey, it worked for Plant. Didn't sakurai mentioned they're in almost every Mario game when talking about it?
:4pacman:
Goombas have been around for almost four decades and we don't see anyone talk about them. Should we start campaigning for those little guys then?
Mario already got an enemy now i would say add one of these:
1729281665005.png

They are in (almost) everyone of their Series Games Really Iconic in their Series too and could be really fun top play as!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
1729280932609.jpeg

It's hard to say. I'm assuming we're getting both Smash 6 and Gen 10 in 2026 - that pretty much rules out Gen 10 in base, but at the same time we're also four years removed from Scarlet and Violet. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think we're getting a new Pokemon in the next Smash game, but I think it'll be the least promotional since Mewtwo - basically whatever Sakurai thinks would be the most interesting addition that was created after Ultimate. It could be a S/V Pokemon, but it could also be from SWSH or PLA or PLZ-A or even Melmetal. Who knows.

I'm not entirely sure about the Gen 10 Pokemon being DLC either. I'm still a little confused we didn't get a Galar Pokemon in the Ultimate DLC. Maybe TPC don't want new Pokemon to be DLC, and Mewtwo was a special case (being a veteran with presumably not enough time to finish development for base Smash 4)? Obviously hard to say with the limited data we have - I'm just kinda yapping

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145

And yes, this is biased.
Tbh I would MASSSIVLEY prefer Raven Beak, but I feel that Sylux might get in over him because of timing, MP4 is set for next year and I don't see a new Smash coming out until 2026 at the earliest. By then dread will be at least 5 years old and it might be too late for him. Who knows though, with the development cycle of Smash probably starting shortly after Sora, the development team might've picked him because of Dread's relavence and bc Prime 4 was still in development. Who knows though, maybe neither gets in and this has all been for nothing ¯\(ツ)/¯ .

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think Gen 9 is more likely unless Smash comes out in 2027, which is possible but I don't know how likely it is and it possibly depends on how they want the promotional cycle to go.

I don't know if Gen 10 would happen in DLC in that case though, since Sword and Shield didn't get anything except a handful of Spirits for the starters, Corviknight, and Morpeko.

I kind of feel the same way about Fire Emblem next game depending on when the next new protagonist comes out, but that has precedent behind it with Smash 4, so I could see FE putting Alear in base game like Robin and the next new protag in as DLC like Corrin. Pokemon doesn't have that precedent despite having a perfect opportunity to with Sword and Shield, so there's really no telling.

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
Tbh I would MASSSIVLEY prefer Raven Beak, but I feel that Sylux might get in over him because of timing, MP4 is set for next year and I don't see a new Smash coming out until 2026 at the earliest. By then dread will be at least 5 years old and it might be too late for him. Who knows though, with the development cycle of Smash probably starting shortly after Sora, the development team might've picked him because of Dread's relavence and bc Prime 4 was still in development. Or maybe neither gets in and this has all been for nothing ¯\(ツ)/¯ .

Top Bottom