• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, Echoes of Wisdom is getting pretty great reviews.

That's nice.
Can't wait to try on buying it tomorrow. Glad to see the princess of hyrule getting praise for her own grand adventure......if you don't remember or count the first one from the Zelda CDI series.

Edit: Beware of videos from those that managed to play the game a day early before release

Last edited:

RykZyk

Smash Cadet
My idea is for the next story mode to go in the roguelike direction, like NASB2's campaign mode. I don't think that a Subspace tier story mode would ever happen again due to just how much Subspace affected Brawl's development.
Wasn't Smash Run kind of like that?
Not opposed to the idea though, i'd be great if Smash Run makes a comeback.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If they do a Metroidvania/rougelike Adventure Mode for the next game, it should still be a sidescrolling beat 'em up like Melee's Adventure Mode and Subspace Emissary, but I don't want it to be repetitive (adding in the same enemies over and over again in different levels and having levels almost look and feel the same).

It should have you explore the different worlds each character is from, kinda like Melee.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wasn't Smash Run kind of like that?
Not opposed to the idea though, i'd be great if Smash Run makes a comeback.
I wouldn't be surprised if Smash Run returns in some form. Also, reminder that concept was brought from one of Sakurai's older ideas from a certain puffball.

Lastly, the music and intro from Rosalina and Luma's trailer is a throwback to that older game as well by Sakurai.

DKing

Smash Apprentice
Okay, fair enough. On that subject, do you think Smash will get any content from other mobile games? I’ve never really been into mobile games myself so I know almost nothing about them beyond Nintendo’s own games. I think Granblue might actually have some chance since it got console games and an anime as well. Not sure about any of the other games though.
For example Angry Birds Sega own the IP now.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Okay, fair enough. On that subject, do you think Smash will get any content from other mobile games? I’ve never really been into mobile games myself so I know almost nothing about them beyond Nintendo’s own games. I think Granblue might actually have some chance since it got console games and an anime as well. Not sure about any of the other games though.
Well, Fire Emblem Heroes did get a bit of content in Smash Ultimate in the form of two music tracks(while the main theme existed before the game, the new remix is very much based on Heroes' version). Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got the Booster pack that had courses from Tour and Fire Emblem Engage also had Fire Emblem Heroes content, including one of the games' main characters as an Emblem. So I don't see mobile games getting ignored by Smash Bros.
Granblue Fantasy is certainly possible. If Saber from the Fate series gets into Smash Bros, definitely expect some content from Fate/Grand Order. Genshin Impact is another one that is absolutely possible. And of course, Fire Emblem Heroes could get more content in Smash Bros. besides music and Mario Kart Tour could get some music or content in Smash Bros too.
For example Angry Birds Sega own the IP now.
Boy oh boy, if some of you thought the reaction to Steve was very divisive, imagine Red from Angry Birds getting in Smash Bros before another Sonic character, let alone another Sega IP like Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dude, I think you have a totally wrong impression on what kind of auteur Taro is.

View attachment 394641

Like this is the dude that said thumbs up to this:

And I also will correct you that across her numerous collabs, she has been censored once: for her PUBG appearance
Ah, so as long as Yoko Taro is paid, 2B will be our first Candy Crush rep :4pacman:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Well, Fire Emblem Heroes did get a bit of content in Smash Ultimate in the form of two music tracks(while the main theme existed before the game, the new remix is very much based on Heroes' version). Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got the Booster pack that had courses from Tour and Fire Emblem Engage also had Fire Emblem Heroes content, including one of the games' main characters as an Emblem. So I don't see mobile games getting ignored by Smash Bros.
Granblue Fantasy is certainly possible. If Saber from the Fate series gets into Smash Bros, definitely expect some content from Fate/Grand Order. Genshin Impact is another one that is absolutely possible. And of course, Fire Emblem Heroes could get more content in Smash Bros. besides music.

Boy oh boy, if some of you thought the reaction to Steve was very divisive, imagine Red from Angry Birds getting in Smash Bros before another Sonic character, let alone another Sega IP like Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.
You know, I imagine Red being accompanied by a few other birds as a single fighter, similar to the Powerpuff Girls in MultiVersus.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I don't really want Angry Birds to get in over another Sonic character or another SEGA IP, but imagining how furious people would be does sound hilarious.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Granblue Fantasy is certainly possible. If Saber from the Fate series gets into Smash Bros, definitely expect some content from Fate/Grand Order. Genshin Impact is another one that is absolutely possible. And of course, Fire Emblem Heroes could get more content in Smash Bros. besides music and Mario Kart Tour could get some music or content in Smash Bros too.

As far as I know Fire Emblem Heroes is the only Nintendo mobile game that actuually turns a major profit. Dragalia Lost had a bit of novelty for being Nintendo's first mobile-first IP, but it just didn't hit it off like Heroes did and now it's shut down.

Honestly, I think there's a chance of getting a playable Heroes OC next game, given how big a moneymaker it is. That said, that also kinda hinges on how long they want to keep the game going. Assuming Smash 6's roster is being decided around now, it's definitely in a position to be chosen, but all live-service games will peter out eventually, and who knows where Heroes will be when the game actually releases.

But still, as it stands now, Fire Emblem Heroes is still going pretty strong. It's still entirely possible we could see a Heroes rep in the future - Probably Veronica, from what I can gather. or another lyn alt

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Actually, going back to the topic of water DLC potential; I think they’re should’ve been a new Adventure Mode addition with each Challenger Pack that focuses on Ultimate’s post-launch content.
I love that idea! I would love to see something like that happen for Smash Bros.!

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Debate: Do you guys think that the skin count limit of 8 should be removed, so the characters could have more skins and even DLC skins just like the Mii Costumes?
Yeah, but not everyone needs over 8 skins; for a good chunk of the roster, 8 is really all you need.

8 skins should be the minimum for every fighter. If a character has a lot more potential to work with for colors and costumes (e.g. Mario, Link, King K. Rool, Steve, etc) then they should get extra costumes.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
We currently have Gear Up For... from Fire Emblem Heroes. We can probably expect some more music tracks from games like Fire Emblem: Heroes and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Not holding my breath for content from the ones that went down pre-Ultimate though.
Kinda late getting to this, but man I wish Ultimate could've had stuff from Dragalia Lost, even if it was just Spirits of the main party (Euden, Elisanne, Ranzal, Cleo, and Luca) as like a little Spirit event post-launch.

Also now that she's shown up in Engage, I fully expect some kind of collectible for Veronica from Fire Emblem Heroes at least; I remember being surprised she wasn't ever put into Ultimate as a Spirit.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Kinda late getting to this, but man I wish Ultimate could've had stuff from Dragalia Lost, even if it was just Spirits of the main party (Euden, Elisanne, Ranzal, Cleo, and Luca) as like a little Spirit event post-launch.
Is the Dragalia IP split with CyGames or is it entirely owned by Nintendo? If there's some fuzzy rights issues then Dragalia's non-presence would make sense, but I don't know if that's actually the case

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Is the Dragalia IP split with CyGames or is it entirely owned by Nintendo? If there's some fuzzy rights issues then Dragalia's non-presence would make sense, but I don't know if that's actually the case
I think it is split though I'm not sure to what extent, because as far as I can find, Nintendo seemingly owns the trademark but CyGames proooobably owns the characters? I'm pretty sure it's in the Nintendo Museum at least, I've seen an image that had Dragalia off in a like mobile game exhibit I think? Though this also obviously applies to things they don't necessarily own like the Bayonetta series too.

The main reason I wish Dragalia had been included is because Dragalia started like right before Ultimate came out (September for Dragalia and December for Ultimate), so they could've done something early on into Ultimate's life to sorta push the new IP they were working with?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just wait until she's the next one people complain about :V
At the very least, she seems to be a pure mage, specializing in staves and tomes, so she won't carry the same stigma of being a swordfighter. That said she probably would retain the usual Fire Emblem stigma, unless a lot of the FE fighters are cut next game.

...Ah who am I kidding, she'd still be stigmatized for bringing the FE fighter count back up again anyways

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just wait until she's the next one people complain about :V

It's just Smash fans nature at this point. That aside, she'll certainly get less stigma for being a non-swordfighter, a non-Avatar character and technically, if she were to have her Heroes first look as an Alternate, FE's first playable villain in Smash Bros.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

That would be awesome! I already said this plenty of times before, but if Snake makes it into the next game, they should have both of his designs from MGS1 and MGS2, and they should also add in Naked Snake (Big Boss) and Old Snake as alts.

Maybe, if they wanted to, they could even add in the Tuxedo, Iroquois Pliskin, one of Big Boss' sneaking suits and the suit from MGS4:
Oh! And if they really wanted to, they could even add in Venom Snake as an alt. But of course, they probably wouldn't do that, otherwise they'd have to get Kiefer Sutherland.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I've already said that I'd like to hear more music from the series, but I'd love to hear these songs from the following games:

Metal Gear:
Theme of Tara (New remix based on the original MSX version but keeps elements of the VR Training version from MGS1)
Red Alert
Escape (Beyond Big Boss)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake:
Zanzibar Breeze
Frequency 140.85/Level 3 Warning
The Front Line
Level 1 Warning
Advance Immediately
Imminent

Metal Gear Solid:
Tank Hangar/Warhead Storage
Intruder 1/Intruder 2/Intruder 3
Mantis' Hymn
Duel/Escape
REX's Lair
The Best Is Yet To Come

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty:
Tanker Alert Theme
Plant Sneaking Theme
Plant Alert Theme
Solidus Snake
Can't Say Goodbye To Yesterday

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater:
Battle In The Jungle
Ocelot Youth
Clash With Evil Personified
Sidecar (Escape from the Fortress/On the Rail Bridge)
Takin' on the Shagohod
Metal Gear Solid 3 Main Theme

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots:
Old Snake
Metal Gear Saga
Victory Song
Oishii Two-Han Seikatsu

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker:
Zero Allies
Koi no Yokushiryoku
Heavens Divide

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance:
Rules of Nature
The Only Thing I Know For Real
I'm My Own Master Now
Red Sun
Collective Consciousness
It Has To Be This Way

Metal Gear Solid V:
Sins of the Father
A Phantom Pain

And for a few extras:

Snatcher & SD Snatcher:
One Night in Neo Kobe City
Pleasure of Tension
Faded Memories
Twilight of Neo Kobe City
Difficult Move
Resistance

Policenauts:
Old L.A. 2040
End of the Dark
Embarrassment/Murder/Shoot For Angels

Zone of the Enders:
Kiss Me Sunlights
Beyond the Bounds
Oh, and maybe some music from Portable Ops too:

Destiny's Call/Break for the Fortress, Fortress, To Arms, Dynamite and The Hunt

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My idea is for the next story mode to go in the roguelike direction, like NASB2's campaign mode. I don't think that a Subspace tier story mode would ever happen again due to just how much Subspace affected Brawl's development.
Enlight me about the NASB2's campaign mode, please.

On another side, you know what? A rougelike metroidvania where every character count as one stock and you also start with few characters sounds good to me. Maybe it could even be not too long or difficult, unless you try to unlock all the characters and not lose anyone. And the map could not evenn be too complicated but procedural or semiprocedural, meaning the sections are scrambled every time, as much as the location of all the characters to be unlocked or the opponents to face, or both of them, like: Fight the heroes to free them of control and fight the villains to subdue them. Not to mention assist trophies could be opponents in the story mode too, or even minions, like goombas.
I think the game really needs both weak but not useless AT and strong but not OP AT.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
New side modes?

Make Smashketball official.

If Slap City can have Slap Ball and the NASB games can have sports, why not Smash itself?
People already make custom maps for this sort of thing since Brawl, and IIRC there's been mods for it for 64 and Melee, so why not take the hint and make it an official thing?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Maybe they could also add in sports-based modes, like Basketball and/or Volleyball. Maybe even Bowling.
By taking inspiration from Among Us, I thought a mode I'd call:"Spot The Bot"
It works like this: There are five characters on the battle ground, but only four of them are actually controlled by online people. The fifth one is controlled by an AI and the point of the game is to guess who is and eliminating them first.
Of course in this mode the names will be obscured until the end or the AI will come up with a name based on the friend lists of the players, which means the bot might call theirself "MyA$$" or "BigJim74" or even "Grrreat Tiger" and you would have no clue it's a bot.
Of course you can eliminate the other players and be granted with a message like "TimScam was not the bot"

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
New side modes?

Make Smashketball official.

If Slap City can have Slap Ball and the NASB games can have sports, why not Smash itself?
People already make custom maps for this sort of thing since Brawl, and IIRC there's been mods for it for 64 and Melee, so why not take the hint and make it an official thing?
You would never win while playing as Little Mac or Ganondorf so I wouldn’t even bother touching it. :morty:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Nintendo Museum was open to press today and we have photos of this character wall

This is now our list of First Party fighters, how are we feelin'?
Looking through this, I can't find any Nintendo franchise in Smash (with characters) that aren't on this wall, with one exception.

R.O.B.

But with the nature of R.O.B. that may be excusable.

Top Bottom