• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Debate: Do you guys think that the skin count limit of 8 should be removed, so the characters could have more skins and even DLC skins just like the Mii Costumes?
Yes, please God. Most of these characters would vastly benefit from having more than exactly 8 alts.

And for that matter, I’m still sad that Terry’s Garou design wasn’t an alt in Smash. If I were Sakurai, I’d be happy to make a whole new set of victory animations for the Garou design.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking of monster taming games, I’m currently towards the end of a playthrough of Digimon: Hacker’s Memory. The game has a cool story, good music, and cool monster designs but the dungeons are a bit repetitive. I love the battle system though. I think it’s an exact copy of FFX’s system.

Anyway, does anyone think any Digimon has a chance other than Agumon? I really like a lot of Digimon designs but I’ve never been a big fan of Agumon. As I understand, it’s essentially Digimon’s Pikachu so it’s probably the favorite. Some of my favorites are Ogremon, Titamon, Meramon, Grankabuterimon, Tyrant Kabuterimon, Gaiomon, and Beezelmon. No clue if any of those are popular enough for consideration though.
I love Womrmon hes sooo cute!
Debate: Do you guys think that the skin count limit of 8 should be removed, so the characters could have more skins and even DLC skins just like the Mii Costumes?
Definitly! although not every character should have more than 8 alts! Some like Ice climbers or game and watch are fine with 8!
It would definitly be cool to see (most) of the links and zeldas in smash! (all 3d games and Toon and toy) could easily be repped with just 1 zelda and 2 links!
Maybe we could also have 8/ 16 Bit skins? or 64 style models?
Maybe some costumes based on a diffrent character? (Lets say for example small zelda isnt possible lets give toon link tetra cosplay?)
Or dark alts for all the kirby characters! Or Paula, Poo, Ninten, Ana or Kumatora as alts for nes and lucas?

Maybe Halloween alts could be based on enemys / Bosses? (you know what i have an idea! Octorok toon link)

Yeah i mostly mentioned zelda but i just really love zelda what shall i say! (mario also needs powerup costumes i guess)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love Womrmon hes sooo cute!
Wormmon is actually a pretty major character in the Hacker’s Memory game I’m playing right now. If you like the character and haven’t played the game, I’d recommend it. I’m actually a big fan of a lot of the bug types in both Pokemon and Digimon. I tend to lean towards the cool/tough designs over the cute ones personally.

Pokemon: Golisopod, Orbeetle, Lokix, Scyther
Digimon: Kuwagamon, Grankabuterimon, Tyrant Kabuterimon, and Stingmon

I’d love any of these or another cool bug type to make it into Smash at some point.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wormmon is actually a pretty major character in the Hacker’s Memory game I’m playing right now. If you like the character and haven’t played the game, I’d recommend it. I’m actually a big fan of a lot of the bug types in both Pokemon and Digimon. I tend to lean towards the cool/tough designs over the cute ones personally.

I’d love any of these or another cool bug type to make it into Smash at some point.
the correct answer is vikavolt

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mine’s Golisopod. That Gen had a lot of cool Bug types. I’d say the two types with the highest percentage of my favorite Pokemon are Ghost and Bug. All of my top 5 favorite Pokemon are at least one of those types.
ice is my favourite type, although my top three aren’t ice types

Gengar84

Smash Hero
ice is my favourite type, although my top three aren’t ice types
I really like the Ice element in general but there aren’t a ton of Ice types in my overall favorites. Sneasel is probably the only one that makes my top 10. I also really like Kyurem, Alolan Sandslash and Glalie but they don’t quite make it to that level.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

I dont know if i like Wormons other evolutions (i still wanna watch the first movie before contiung DA 2) But stingmon looks super cool!
Sorta like a superhero!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really like the Ice element in general but there aren’t a ton of Ice types in my overall favorites. Sneasel is probably the only one that makes my top 10. I also really like Kyurem, Alolan Sandslash and Glalie but they don’t quite make it to that level.
I love all ice types. Very rarely do I have a Pokemon team without one

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I hAvE a IdEa LeTs AdD hErO WaRs MaIn ChArCtEr GaLAhAd InTo SmAsH:
1727266205477.png

AfTeR aLl ThE gAmE iS JUUUUUUUUUUST LIIIIIIIIKE tHe AdDs!

Also... i wish there was an alternate between big and small letters for sarcasm button!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love all ice types. Very rarely do I have a Pokemon team without one
Glalie is my favorite Ice type to use. I just think the Moody ability is a lot of fun. It’s also got a ton of Super Effective damage with just Earthquske and Freeze Dry. That leaves room for Substitute and Protect. I also like raising it evenly across the board so all the stats are exactly the same. Probably not the optimal way to use it but it’s fun for me.

It’s a shame that so many of my favorite Pokemon types are unrepresented in Smash (Bug, Ghost, Ice). Probably because between them, only Ghost has had a Starter. I’d love to see some more cool Pokemon choices in Smash that mix things up and aren’t so predictable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Glalie is my favorite Ice type to use. I just think the Moody ability is a lot of fun. It’s also got a ton of Super Effective damage with just Earthquske and Freeze Dry. That leaves room for Substitute and Protect. I also like raising it evenly across the board so all the stats are exactly the same. Probably not the optimal way to use it but it’s fun for me.

It’s a shame that so many of my favorite Pokemon types are unrepresented in Smash (Bug, Ghost, Ice). Probably because between them, only Ghost has had a Starter. I’d love to see some more cool Pokemon choices in Smash that mix things up and aren’t so predictable.
yeah we should have a penguin with an ice cube head

or a ghost in a teapot

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well, those beg the question, which direction does you guys prefer?

No EiH, Fewer characters like 26-38 characters for a robust single player similar to Brawl's with SE or a whole 64-84+ glutton of characters, every veterans and news releases but with not much do with them with sparse single-player like Smash 4 or even Ult in some ways?
I think a middleway is possible, but, having to choose, I'm more inclined to the first option.

Absolutely! Brawlhalla did that since a long time.
It's okay. Clearly they weren't actively trying to make a worse game. They thought EiH was the best move. I disagree, but they were doing what they thought best.

I gotta admit I'd be a sucker for an expansive story mode, but I prefer a big 50+ roster, too, so I'm okay if it can't happen. Trophies are actually my preferred collectible, but also I understand the resource suck associated; maybe there is some middle ground where we can get like a limited number of them and then have another secondary collectible that represents more characters (I mean Brawl already had Stickers alongside Trophies, with the former being essentially the precursor to Ult's collectibles). Two separate versions, though, yeah let's ditch that as long as the Switch-style hybrid model is a thing.
We still don't know how powerful the Switch 2 is (Heck! We don't even know it's true name yet), so it's a bit early to talk about how much memory would be taken by trophies. We only know they would take time to be developed from scratch up, that's for sure. But I sure would appreciate them more than a pgn picture I can find with my computer. But one thing I would appreciate even more are more Mii fighters costumes. Really! I'd give up trophies forever for a gigantic amount of Mii attires, or less gigantic but more fragmented (torso and legs having separate clothes).
There are so many videogame characters that would fit well as Mii fighters! I wish Nintendo would explore more their untapped potential.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

No EiH, Fewer characters like 26-38 characters for a robust single player similar to Brawl's with SE or a whole 64-84+ glutton of characters, every veterans and news releases but with not much do with them with sparse single-player like Smash 4 or even Ult in some ways?
I think it depends on what characters make it in. I can live with 30 something characters if I can at least keep some of my favorites and have a reason to hope for more. Unfortunately, many of my favorites are the most likely to be cut in such a scenario. The large majority of my most wanted characters would basically have no chance either. I would probably still buy the game for the single player but would likely go back to playing Ultimate once I finished everything. It’s kind of hard to get hyped for a game if not many of the characters connect with me.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know! I just wanted to make a bad Prediction!
I know nobody asks for this thrash character from a thrash game neither do i!
You now i was just jestin!
Is that a character you’d actually want even though it’s really unlikely? I’ve got several myself like Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. It just seems a bit random to bring it up like that otherwise is all. I can’t say I’ve ever actually heard of the character or game myself.

Speaking of cool characters with basically no chance, they just revealed a Soul Reaver 1 and 2 remaster on the latest PlayStation State of Play. I’ve always really liked Raziel and Kain as characters and would make for awesome Smash characters. I was never very good at the game because I got a bit stressed constantly losing health and I get lost a lot. I kind of want to give it another try though.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Everyone Is Here and Subspace 2.5 could serve as great DLC deals however. Just saying.
I completely agree. I’d happily pay at least $30 for a new Subspace Emissary DLC alone even if it didn’t include any additional stages or characters. I can also live with not getting everyone back base game as long as we get them eventually through DLC. I wouldn’t want too many saved for DKC though because revealing brand new characters is a lot more exciting to me.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Is that a character you’d actually want even though it’s really unlikely? I’ve got several myself like Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. It just seems a bit random to bring it up like that otherwise is all. I can’t say I’ve ever actually heard of the character or game myself.

Speaking of cool characters with basically no chance, they just revealed a Soul Reaver 1 and 2 remaster on the latest PlayStation State of Play. I’ve always really liked Raziel and Kain as characters and would make for awesome Smash characters. I was never very good at the game because I got a bit stressed constantly losing health and I get lost a lot. I kind of want to give it another try though.
No Hero wars sucks i dont want anything from that game!
Like its a mobile game with thrash ads!
I guess you could say i trolled with that? But im finnished now so everthings fine!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
No Hero wars sucks i dont want anything from that game!
Like its a mobile game with thrash ads!
I guess you could say i trolled with that? But im finnished now so everthings fine!
Okay, fair enough. On that subject, do you think Smash will get any content from other mobile games? I’ve never really been into mobile games myself so I know almost nothing about them beyond Nintendo’s own games. I think Granblue might actually have some chance since it got console games and an anime as well. Not sure about any of the other games though.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, fair enough. On that subject, do you think Smash will get any content from other mobile games?
At the very least, I’d like to see remixes of songs from Mario Kart Tour, and maybe even Ninja Hideaway as a stage (as well 3DS Rainbow Road and Waluigi Pinball, which were tracks in Tour that went over to the Booster Course Pass).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay, fair enough. On that subject, do you think Smash will get any content from other mobile games?
We currently have Gear Up For... from Fire Emblem Heroes. We can probably expect some more music tracks from games like Fire Emblem: Heroes and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Not holding my breath for content from the ones that went down pre-Ultimate though.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice

I'd prefer a midway but assuming I can only pick one, I think I'd go for the former. Tough choice, and losing that many characters would hurt. But tbh I play single-player more than VS mode so I'd be fine with that. Only thing I'd hate more than a smaller roster is having barely anything to do with said roster.

Everyone Is Here and Subspace 2.5 could serve as great DLC deals however. Just saying.
A Subspace like mode could definitely work as DLC. In fact, that's the only way I could see it happening in this day and age. I don't think it will, but that would be better than the strain it caused on Brawl's development.

Assuming any substantial amount of cuts though, I doubt EIH will be recouped through DLC. Mostly because I imagine they'll put more focus on newcomers like always. I imagine that they'd just bring back some of the most glaring omissions/popular return requests.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well with "everyone is here" I didn't exactly mean everyone. Seems close to impossible. But adding lost popular veterans, akin to Smash 4 with Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas did seems reasonable. A whole DLC Fighter Pass with veterans would work well.

And with a Subspace 2.5 I just meant a grandiose Adventure Mode like Subspace. Subspace was great, it had it's share of problems, but was great nevertheless. It would almost warrant the price of a full game maybe. But that's probably inevitable at this point in time.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

That would be awesome! I already said this plenty of times before, but if Snake makes it into the next game, they should have both of his designs from MGS1 and MGS2, and they should also add in Naked Snake (Big Boss) and Old Snake as alts.

Maybe, if they wanted to, they could even add in the Tuxedo, Iroquois Pliskin, one of Big Boss' sneaking suits and the suit from MGS4:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If trophies are too labor-intensive, I was thinking it'd be cool if there was like, I dunno, a set of collectable cards with custom Smash-original artwork or portraits on them, made by a collection of different artists. A way to have something new and creative without needing an entire model for them. Perhaps for "rare" collectables, we can have big pictures of crossover interactions, kinda like how Kirby: Star Allies has it's big puzzle pictures you can assemble
I like that.

I always thought Achievements should have used a Collectable Card aesthetic. It would also be a great way of doing Spirits/Trophies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If trophies are too labor-intensive, I was thinking it'd be cool if there was like, I dunno, a set of collectable cards with custom Smash-original artwork or portraits on them, made by a collection of different artists. A way to have something new and creative without needing an entire model for them. Perhaps for "rare" collectables, we can have big pictures of crossover interactions, kinda like how Kirby: Star Allies has it's big puzzle pictures you can assemble

https://wikirby.com/wiki/Celebration_Picture
How would everyone feel about a Triple Triad or Tetra Master style card game as a way to bring in other characters in a similar way to spirits and trophies? I always loved those games in Final Fantasy and they’re a fun and simple way to have some interaction with the characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
How would everyone feel about a Triple Triad or Tetra Master style card game as a way to bring in other characters in a similar way to spirits and trophies? I always loved those games in Final Fantasy and they’re a fun and simple way to have some interaction with the characters.
It could be cool but what I liked about the Spirits is that I could customize them to change up the usual gameplay. Compared to it, this idea requires me to like the card game as much as playing Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
no thank you

Gengar84

Smash Hero
no thank you
What other ideas do have for side modes and mini games? I actually really liked the Coin Launcher in Brawl. The remix of the main theme for that mode was nice and relaxing too. I think the card game could be a fun side mode but it’s cool if you think otherwise.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Ivander

Smash Legend
What other ideas do have for side modes and mini games?
Bring back fighting against Mooks, whether it'd be Smash Run, a Metroivania-like Adventure mode, making them fightable in Classic Mode and Spirits Mode or something like this.
So in regards to Smash Bros. content, some know me as someone who really wants Smash Run from Smash 3DS back because it was fun running around the giant stage and fighting against the different enemies from different franchises. And I have mentioned that I think Mooks being part of Spirit battles and World of Light would've been great for replayability if they couldn't bring back Smash Run. So this was a Mode I hypothesised for a Mook-based Mode that I think can work for Smash Bros. It's mainly about the mode cause if I added in all the Mooks that I want to appear, I wouldn't be able to post this due to too much words.
---
Smash Invaders

"Enemies from different franchises are invading stages across the franchises! Fight and defeat them throughout the stages and get to the leaders behind the invasions!"

"How it works: You fight enemy Mooks from different franchises on stages that are featured in Smash Bros. Sometimes during a stage you are doing, after defeating all of the enemies on that stage, you will fight a Mini-Boss, which can either be a powerful Mook, a Possessed character(with a feature similar to the possessed eyes on characters during Spirit battles in World of Light) or a possessed Assist Trophy, that appears after the enemies are defeated.
In other cases, they will appear at the start of a match alongside some of the Mooks you fight. Your goal is to get through the stages to the end where you fight against a Boss that leads the enemies."

"Quickplay Mode: Fight enemies through a set of 9 stages before fighting a boss on the 10th stage. You have 3 lives. You choose 1 out of 8 Bosses and their armies to fight against. Basically, each army's Boss is shown on the Quickplay Menu and depending on the Boss you choose to fight against will affect which 9 stages you fight on and affect the enemies that appear on the stages.
Like if you choose to fight against Dracula, while different enemies related to the stages appear for you to fight against, you will fight different Castlevania enemies, as well as certain enemies from different franchises that have similarities to Castlevania enemies not in Smash, in all of the stages you do, you will fight against a Werewolf Miniboss on the Omega version of Luigi's Mansion on the 5th stage, you will fight the Death Assist Trophy in Dracula's Castle on the 9th stage and then Dracula on the last stage.

"Random Mode: Fight a randomized set of enemies throughout a randomized set of stages that ends with a random Boss on the last stage. Every 5th stage and the last stage before the Boss, you will fight against either a character, an Assist Trophy or a MiniBoss Mook. There are 3 difficulties with different life counts and a Chaos Mode:
-Easy has you fight through 9 stages with the Boss on the 10th Stage. You have 3 lives.
-Medium has you fight through 14 stages with the Boss on the 15th Stage. You have 4 lives.
-Hard has you fight through 19 stages with the Boss on the 20th Stage. You have 5 lives.
-Chaos Endless Mode: You will start on a random stage fighting against enemies. Enemies appear in waves and after defeating all the enemies in one wave, a new wave will appear shortly. Every 5 waves, a Character/Assist Trophy/Mini-Boss will appear. Every two to three minutes, the stage will "Stage Morph" into a random stage, carrying you and all the enemies still alive into the new stage. Because the battle does not end, you keep fighting enemies until you lose all 5 of your lives.

"Tower Mode: Go through 100 stages with certain conditions(similar to Event Mode, but based around Mooks and whatnot), fighting against one of the game's bosses every 10th level, with the game's "Antagonist" and "Final Boss" on the 100th stage.
---
Any thoughts or opinions?

Top Bottom