• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I find it really interesting that Another Code / Trace Memory of all things in on there.

Maybe the remake sold better than we thought? Or maybe someone in Nintendo loves the franchise.

That's a really good question, I'll get back to you when I finish processing how Barbara the Bat made it on there.

Seriously though, given the breadth of what's there, probably just being an active franchise again is enough to get one square. Unless you're Advance Wars, apparently.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Seeing both of the main Famicom Detective Cub duo there is very nice. Funny enough, despite Smash Ultimate's insane list of spirits referencing a pretty huge list of Nintendo properties and characters, there are actually a couple of characters there that have zero presence in Ultimate, notably Taro (Famicom Detective Club) and Foreman Spike (Wrecking Crew).
Foreman Spike doesn't have a spirit??? That can't be true, there's a wrecking crew stage for crying out loud

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Foreman Spike doesn't have a spirit??? That can't be true, there's a wrecking crew stage for crying out loud
The only Spirit for Wrecking Crew according to the Wiki is for Eggplant Man, apparently.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wonder why only Marth and Chrom are there for Fire Emblem.
I wonder why Astral Chain isn't there.

If ARMS is considered active enough to get a square, why not Astral Chain?
Kirby and Pokemon seem to be the only IPs not developed internally that got several tiles on the wall.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
On the topic of Pikmin being one of Nintendo's flagships, obviously it doesn't sell gangbusters but Nintendo absolutely holds it in high regard. Always managing to make cameos and appearances like with Super Nintendo World and the various Nintendo Stores.

You love to see it. I just wish Olimar was included too since he's a big part of the series and is the missing 2nd half to the Pikmin whenever they're brought up, but what can ya do.

At least they didn't forget about him on the mural.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think the only picture on the mural I can't really place right now is the one in the bottom right surrounded by Mario swinging a hammer, Koopa Troopa, TotK Ganondorf, and Nintendogs near the MK8 Mario render.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
He's not. The only Punch-Out!! one is the one square with Mr. Sandman, Bald Bull, and Super Macho Man from Super Punch-Out!!
Well...that's better than nothing.

Still, you'd think they would've added something from the Wii Punch-Out!! game. like these:

1727313541236.png
1727313890780.png

or even from the NES game, like this:

1727313699006.png

I mean, at least something from Punch-Out!! is there but they could have done better than that.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
The Nintendo Museum was open to press today and we have photos of this character wall

This is now our list of First Party fighters, how are we feelin'?
Seeing Bandana Dee there over a regular Waddle Dee, given how few icons there are dedicated to the Kirby franchise to begin with, feels much more gratifying than it probably should be.

If this isn't a distinctive indication of how far he's come, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Seeing Bandana Dee there over a regular Waddle Dee, given how few icons there are dedicated to the Kirby franchise to begin with, feels much more gratifying than it probably should be.

If this isn't a distinctive indication of how far he's come, I don't know what is.
He had a statue at Nintendo Live too

Screenshot_20240926-115832.png

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
So the 7 biggest characters are Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Pikmin, Isabelle & Inkling

could this be indicative of what Nintendo thinks of as their biggest franchises? what could this mean for the future of smash? not a thing I imagine
Obviously I don't think this question would ever get to the point of being a serious one, but do you think Isabelle would have higher priority for returning than the Villager themselves at this point?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I believe in an interview, BWD was stated to be designed as a representative for all Waddle Dees, while still becoming a character in his own right. Waddle Dees are still marketable mascots, but if there's only one Dee in a group it's almost invariably going to be Bandana Dee specifically

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
It probably won't happen, but if Snake makes it into the next game, it'd be pretty cool if they recorded new Codec Calls for each character.

But then, if they wanted to do that, they'd have to have David Hayter re-record his voice lines and grunts (maybe even record new voice lines, if possible).

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Actually, going back to the topic of wasted DLC potential; I think they’re should’ve been a new Adventure Mode addition with each Challenger Pack that focuses on Ultimate’s post-launch content.
I know I'm late to the party on this, I think Adventure Mode (Subspace-sequel or otherwise) should just be a free DLC addition at this point...

Is the Dragalia IP split with CyGames or is it entirely owned by Nintendo? If there's some fuzzy rights issues then Dragalia's non-presence would make sense, but I don't know if that's actually the case
I think it is split though I'm not sure to what extent, because as far as I can find, Nintendo seemingly owns the trademark but CyGames proooobably owns the characters? I'm pretty sure it's in the Nintendo Museum at least, I've seen an image that had Dragalia off in a like mobile game exhibit I think? Though this also obviously applies to things they don't necessarily own like the Bayonetta series too.

The main reason I wish Dragalia had been included is because Dragalia started like right before Ultimate came out (September for Dragalia and December for Ultimate), so they could've done something early on into Ultimate's life to sorta push the new IP they were working with?
Interesting... I wonder if Fitness Boxing is in a similar situation as Dragalia (where Imagineer at least owns the cast) or Bayonetta (where the series is SO intertwined with Nintendo, it's almost an unofficial first party IP to them)...

The Nintendo Museum was open to press today and we have photos of this character wall

This is now our list of First Party fighters, how are we feelin'?
Insert Squidward Tentacles "It's BEAUTIFUL!" meme

Seriously though, this looks amazing! Heaven knows I especially appreciate the presence of characters like Barbara, Ashley Mizuki Robbins(!), Snip and Clip, Urban Champ, Ayumi and Taro, Donbe and Hikari, and the multitude of Nintendo Sports series.

With that said... I REALLY wish Nintendo didn't re-use characters here and there. Like, they definitely had a LOT more options for characters to add to this thing other than reusing Mario and Kirby every 3 or so times.

Heck, it STILL kind of bums me out that Mona (from WarioWare, among MANY other characters I had in mind for this thing) isn't here on the mural.

So the 7 biggest characters are Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Pikmin, Isabelle & Inkling

could this be indicative of what Nintendo thinks of as their biggest franchises? what could this mean for the future of smash? not a thing I imagine
Super Mario, Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon? Yeah, these 7 being Nintendo's flagship franchises definitely tracks. ESPECIALLY Kirby, what with all of the Kirby and Waddle Dee merch over there.

Found nothing from XC3 in the mural.
Or maybe there's a second one with Noah, Mio and SNES/N64/GCN/GBA/DS era characters (plus some characters from obscure/one-off Wii/3DS/Wii U games, this also includes Tokyo Mirage Sessions)
Ngl, I REALLY hope there actually IS another mural that covers even more characters that weren't found in the mural seen above...

I can't lie, part of me wants someone to dress up as Mike Jones and take a selfie in front of that picture.
You all aren't going to believe this... I actually spoke to RogersBase on Twitter, and according to him? StarTropics IS acknowledged at the Museum!

In addition to other Nintendo things that only got Western releases and/or have a WAY stronger presence in the Western Hemisphere (Gumshoe, Aura-Aura, Eternal Darkness(!), Tin Star(!!), Uniracers (!!), and Geist(!!!))

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Obviously I don't think this question would ever get to the point of being a serious one, but do you think Isabelle would have higher priority for returning than the Villager themselves at this point?
it's entirely possible considering how popular she's become. but I think both will be reasonably high priority

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Holy ****

Mario in Smash
tony-stark-eye-roll.jpg

That was funny the first 9000 times. Now it's just annoying as SJW Karen.

So, it consists of a series of fights, some being against regular characters, some against hordes of mooks, and occasionally a boss fight. The fights are listed on a mostly linear track with some branching paths (kinda like Smash 3DS classic mode.) Every so often you meet an NPC that gives you an upgrade that lasts the rest of the run, or sells you upgrades for currency that you collect from doing fights. If you run out of stocks, you game over, lose your upgrades and currency, and must start over, but you retain a different type of currency to buy permanent upgrades for your next attempt. You start with only SpongeBob unlocked in this mode, but defeating a character in a fight that you haven’t defeated before unlocks that character for you to use.
Nothing really exceptional but something that could definitely work with Super Smash Bros.
I still would like something with platforming sections like Melee's Adventure Mode and Brawl SSE, even without cutscenes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 394676
That was funny the first 9000 times. Now it's just annoying as SJW Karen.

Nothing really exceptional but something that could definitely work with Super Smash Bros.
I still would like something with platforming sections like Melee's Adventure Mode and Brawl SSE, even without cutscenes.
It's 2024 and you're still using "SJW" as an insult like a ****ing weirdo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was going to say the same thing but I didn’t want to restart the whole thing from the other day. I definitely agree that I can’t take people that use SJW as an insult seriously either. Most “SJWs” are reasonable and just want everyone to be treated with respect and dignity. Like most things, I’m sure there’s a few people that can take things a bit far but the whole outrage over it is ridiculous and seems manufactured. I view the term as a good thing personally. Society is never going to improve if no one speaks up about injustices.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was going to say the same thing but I didn’t want to restart the whole thing from the other day. I definitely agree that I can’t take people that use SJW as an insult seriously either. Most “SJWs” are reasonable and just want everyone to be treated with respect and dignity. Like most things, I’m sure there’s a few people that can take things a bit far but the whole outrage over it is ridiculous and seems manufactured. I view the term as a good thing personally. Society is never going to improve if no one speaks up about injustices.
Huh. From what I had seen I thought the term was specifically about the people who were being utterly ridiculous.

I...also haven't heard it in a while. Must be the perks of not having a Facebook/Twitter account; don't have to watch everyone squabble. lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Huh. From what I had seen I thought the term was specifically about the people who were being utterly ridiculous.

I...also haven't heard it in a while. Must be the perks of not having a Facebook/Twitter account; don't have to watch everyone squabble. lol
I don’t think anyone really uses the term anymore. They’ve mostly moved onto “woke” now which basically means the same thing. Like I said, I believe that there are a few people that likely take things a bit far and some companies probably use the cause as a PR stunt but the whole culture war part of it was manufactured BS. I think a lot of these outlets just profit off outrage to drive engagement and had to find something to get people mad about. I think everything was greatly exaggerated just to get people upset. Most of these “SJWs” were just people trying to bring attention to inequalities in the hopes to make things more fair for everyone.

Anyway, back on topic. The second season of Arcane is coming out in a couple of months and I’m pretty excited for it since the first season was so great. I think things might just line up for a LoL character to join Smash this time around since the franchise has been expanding its fanbase through other media and games. If we did get a character, I wonder how they’d handle the alt outfits. League of Legends mostly profits off cosmetics so I’m curious if they’d include any of those alts in Smash for free. I’m open to the idea of paying for alt outfits for characters beyond Miis as long as the prices are reasonable (the same price as Mii outfits).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think he's saying the Mario joke is old and annoying like the terms "SJW" and "Karen."

So I think you two agree.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Anyway, back on topic. The second season of Arcane is coming out in a couple of months and I’m pretty excited for it since the first season was so great. I think things might just line up for a LoL character to join Smash this time around since the franchise has been expanding its fanbase through other media and games. If we did get a character, I wonder how they’d handle the alt outfits. League of Legends mostly profits off cosmetics so I’m curious if they’d include any of those alts in Smash for free. I’m open to the idea of paying for alt outfits for characters beyond Miis as long as the prices are reasonable (the same price as Mii outfits).
Ya'know, I doubt we'll see them have all of their alts be various skins, but I could see at least one or two. Maybe something like:
  1. Default
  2. Croma
  3. Croma
  4. Croma
  5. Skin
  6. Croma
  7. Croma
  8. Croma
Or it'd be like Joker's alt situation where the last two slots are alternate costumes while the rest are pallet swaps. As far as which they'd pick, my guess is that it'd either be the most popular/iconic one (or two) or one that's cannon if applicable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fully agree. Hence I speak out wherever I can, but we gotta be remindful of staying respectful. It started to become an "insult" when people started to think their "non prejudice" mindset made them superior over others. Which is ironic in a way, but also sad. I've seen this happening in many communities before, the very same ego mindedness they accuse "the other" of is what drives them. It's ironic how these polarities play out sometimes, accusing each other of the exact same behavior.

Just stand with truth, respect and love and you'll probably be heard. And if not, doesn't matter, you're in the wrong crowd then anyway. Move on with grace.

Anyway, wondering when we get a new Smash or Donkey Kong. Wonder which we might get first.

Top Bottom