• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Ooooh. I'm glad I showed up in time for this one.

As I've said before, the final installment in the Remake trilogy for FF7 is very likely going to align with the release of the next Smash and thus I think that means we're getting either Tifa or Barret or both. I'd personally feel like both were warranted with Tifa being one of THE video game heroines and Barret probably being the most iconic Japanese video game black man. Love 'em both to as I do the entire party of that game and I would definitely force them all into the game if I was Sakurai.

Also they can both make further use of the already developed Limit mechanic Cloud has as their Down-Special and I'd loved to see that work get further use for the dev team.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
if it’s another FF7 character I have less than no interest in it
God if three of our FOUR square enix reps is from FF7 that would turn me into the biggest ****ing hater. Like yeah, FF7 one of the greatest of all time, iconic, etc etc but holy **** this is a crossover with the company that owns a hundred IPs, there is ZERO reason why we are not just laser-focused on one series, but precisely one game in that series.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I think Sephiroth is way too small a sample size to assume that any other FF rep is just going to be from 7 lol. Sakurai clearly seemed to think Terra/Bartz were possible. I imagine they would just have to be negotiated separately and may or may not come with content from only their games.

I personally would definitely want Terra next, I think she's a pretty perfect pick. Trance would be a unique spin on a mana bar as a mechanic.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
While I’d expect a third character from VII if we were to receive a new Final Fantasy character given the game’s focus in SSB, Tidus is one of my most wanted fighters.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Do you think Sony is going to give a more detailed explaination for the PS5 Pro in the State of Play tomorrow? Other then the release date and price tag from its reveal trailer.
ps5pro.png

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Brother YOU are the people he does not want to deal with. DEI and Woke are dogwhistle terms used by racist as **** people.
Which is a damn shame. Cause woke started out as a term the Black community used to describe people who actually recognized the inherent racial imbalances and injustices present in our society. Being woke is an unequivocally good thing.

Everyone knows the real FF character we need is Cactaur anyway.
Cactuar was born to be an AT.

I think Vivi would be cool.
I used to want FF1 Black Mage as a Fighter.

But now, I'd rather just have a Mii Mage and get Black Mage and White Mage as Miis.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Some people are hoping for a Bloodborne remake or Ghost of Tsushima 2.
Not really connected with the Playstation series and its exclusive titles other than the PS1 and PS2 during childhood. I do wish them hope for their favorite game title being revealed tomorrow.

I just wonder if Sly Cooper will ever return....though I didn't play it.

DKing

Smash Apprentice
Not really connected with the Playstation series and its exclusive titles other than the PS1 and PS2 during childhood. I do wish them hope for their favorite game title being revealed tomorrow.

I just wonder if Sly Cooper will ever return....though I didn't play it.
I personally don't play recently on the PlayStation but a new sly cooper will be difficult to do . Sukapon Punch( Sorry I really don't remember the name correctly) have The Ghost of Tsushima game, infamous series, rumour to make a new IP. The only way I could see them come if Sony give to another studio they have. But with the state of Sony that forget they have "IP" it very uncertain, could be possible but the chance of it is low.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
...would now be a good time to say that if I had to have another Final Fantasy character, I'd take Barret over Tifa?
From what I hear FF7 in general has a lot of beloved characters. Tifa's the name I hear passed around the most, but Aerith and Barret are also iconic characters. I haven't played any Final Fantasy aside from Stranger of Paradise, but I hear Barret especially really well written in the remake trilogy. Also he has a gun for a hand and that's cool.

In general it seems like you could make an entire pass just around Final Fantasy. From what I can gather the Black Mage is an icon, and Vivi specifically is an extremely popular character while also being an archetypal Black Mage. Aside from that, I think the biggest games after FF7 are 6, 10, and 14, but I'm knowledgeable enough to say

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For Final Fantasy, please dear god anything else aside from 7, I like 7 but Final Fantasy has so much more to offer than that world

My choice would be someone from 14 (specifically Emet-selch or Y'shtola) or

Unironically, as a big fan of SoP, Jack Garland is the most ideal character to be translated from his main game to Smash Bros.

Of course, it'll never happen, but man he is so incredibly sick.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
This may have been said before, but I really hope the next Smash game brings back Boss Rush Mode if it has more bosses than just Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Unironically, as a big fan of SoP, Jack Garland is the most ideal character to be translated from his main game to Smash Bros.

Of course, it'll never happen, but man he is so incredibly sick.
Of course he won't come to Smash Bros. when there's no Chaos in Super Smash Bros. for him to kill. Galeem already obliterated Chaos and turned him into a Spirit.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
so what's going on here now? are people ready to talk about cuts and smash without sakurai?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Are we sure the next big Nintendo Game is Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom? Because right now it feels like Mario Party Jamboree is the one getting all the attention and preparing for release. We just found out the game has a story mode

AlRex

Smash Lord
Sony character probably should be Kratos for sheer recognition/notability of the series at this point, plus he does have some cool stuff for a fairly unique moveset in general. I got a soft spot for Parappa and Sweet Tooth as well, and they represent new genres for the playable roster, which is a bonus.

Another FF character, I’d prefer either a more general one like Black Mage, Chocobo, Moogle, or someone from one of the Nintendo console entries. Probably unlikely, but I think Sabin from Final Fantasy VI would be cool, he’s a grappler + almost another fighting game character, complete with inputs.

Another Sonic character, I like Eggman the most, he’s the least Sonic like of the likely candidates, he’s been around since the first game, more villains are cool, Eggman himself is cool, and there’s a lot of potential with his various gadgets and vehicles to be referenced. I get the boss aspect, but Death Egg robot is basically only one thing of his. You could maybe do both, the Death Egg mech as his FS and a boss, and his moveset having more to it. Other than him, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Amy even have some merit, though Amy seems the least likely.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Are we sure the next big Nintendo Game is Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom? Because right now it feels like Mario Party Jamboree is the one getting all the attention and preparing for release. We just found out the game has a story mode
Haven't heard that Jamboree is getting a story mode. Then again, I usually play Mario Party for the Minigames. Wonder what's the situation for this one?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
From what I can gather, Y'shtola is the default FF14 rep whenever they have crossovers, since the Warrior of Light is extremely customizeable, and Emet-Selch is the fan-favorite. That being said, I think it would be really funny if Sakurai just made an OC in the FF14 character creator and threw that in Smash

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which is a damn shame. Cause woke started out as a term the Black community used to describe people who actually recognized the inherent racial imbalances and injustices present in our society. Being woke is an unequivocally good thing.
It is. The original term was intended as this. But it goes beyond that. It means "awoken" , spiritually. See beyond the duality of this matrix system. Nothing political per say. But certain groups seem to hijack everything.......

Also culturally each and every age has proven that the wealthiest nations attract the most diversity. Turns out that accumulation of wealth from the places it's token attracts the same people of this region cause why wouldn't they want a share of what's also theirs ? Ancient Egypt, Greece, Babylonia, you name it, it all happened. Media is huge, media is for everyone, media should reflect diversity.

FF1 Black Mage is a cute idea though as a Final Fantasy fighter. The idea had quite some support before Cloud got into Smash 4. However fanbases of Geno kinda clashed with it.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Just to be clear, he doesn't say EiH prevented other aspects of the game from excelling, and obviously he would never say exactly that whether it were true or not. And to be doubly clear, I never intended to say that he said that either, just that it took a ton of sacrifice and effort to make it happen, which is exceedingly clear, and you can infer pretty easily that they could have done something more than worthwhile with the huge portion of resources that went into specifically doing EiH as the top priority.
But... something what?
Aside from more newcomers in the place of old characters which is fair.

Smash 4 didn't have the task of bringing everyone back and it doesn't really have much more going on than Ultimate. In fact it actually has less content and modes overall.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I've always been a big Ultima fan. But watching Majuular's Ultima Retrospective has reignited my enthusiasm for it and now I want it to get some Smash representation.
I've always thought The Avatar would be a cool fitting pick. I mean if you thought Hero was archetypal, the Avatar is where the term "avatar" for player characters in RPGs comes from in the first place. It's one of the most important and impactful game series ever, and the Avatar has access to a pretty unique array of spells and weapons beyond just the sword and shield that I think would make them pretty distinct. A lot of the later Ultima games lean into them as more of a spellcaster, and you could also take inspiration from Ultima Underworld.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm biased towards Tifa, so I wouldn't complain if she was the next Final Fantasy character. But it really should be someone from a game that isn't VII.
Yeah, I’m with you there. I love FFVII and its cast but it would be cool to see characters from other games instead of a third character from FFVII. I really want to see a summoner like Yuna or Garnet in Smash since I’ve always been a big fan of the summons in those games. Garnet is also my favorite character in FFIX, which might be my favorite game of all time. I think FFVIII and FFX probably had the coolest designs for the summons themselves so Yuna would be cool too even if I liked other characters from X more.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
"By the way, this is the final video in the Graphics category"
And I've already pointed out that before this, he's already posted the final videos for 6 out of 14 categories, which means now...
And now Sakurai’s wrapped up his UI category. That makes 7, right?
I’ve tracked down the tweets that clarifies which videos were the last in their respective categories and I could only find five; those being Planning & Game Design, Graphics, Effects, UI and Marketing. What are the other two?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But... something what?

Smash 4 didn't have the task of bringing everyone back and it doesn't really have much more going on than Ultimate. In fact it actually has less content and modes overall.
Smash 4 had critics say the DLC character slots for Mewtwo, Roy and Lucy's where "wasted" on veterans and should've been used for newcomers instead. Then again, people talk **** all the time.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But... something what?

This is an excellent point that I haven’t seen brought up very often. As much as I prefer Subspace Emissary to World of Light, the latter was still much better than Smash Run in my opinion. Despite its limitations, I feel like Ultimate’s Stage Builder was a huge improvement over Smash 4’s as well. I personally feel like Smash 4 was the low point in the series and is the only one that’s almost completely outclassed by its successor. Ultimate managed to bring back every character as well as giving us extra game modes. Still nothing compared to Melee’s and Brawl’s modes but a step up from 4’s.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Smash 4 had critics say the DLC character slots for Mewtwo, Roy and Lucy's where "wasted" on veterans and should've been used for newcomers instead. Then again, people talk **** all the time.
Yeah, that feels much more like a "you can't please everyone" sort of thing. Mewtwo especially had FAR more people supporting his inclusion at the time than being against it.

Top Bottom