• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the next game gets another Capcom character, it'd probably be from one of their most popular franchises, like Zero (Mega Man), Chun-Li (Street Fighter), Dante (Devil May Cry) or even Monster Hunter. But I still think Haggar (Final Fight), Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) and Strider Hiryu would be pretty cool.
That's why we need a Nintendo/Capcom merger.

Smash 6's newcomers!

Zero [Mega Man]
Sigma [Mega Man]
Chun Li [Street Fighter]
M. Bison [Street Fighter]
Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
Leon Kennedy [Resident Evil]
Wesker [Resident Evil]
Dante [Devil May Cry]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
Amaterasu [Okami]
Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
Strider Hiryu [Strider]
Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

Smash 6's newcomers!

Zero [Mega Man]
Sigma [Mega Man]
Chun Li [Street Fighter]
Wesker [Resident Evil]
Dante [Devil May Cry]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Amaterasu [Okami]
Strider Hiryu [Strider]
No MonHun? :(

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

Smash 6's newcomers!

Zero [Mega Man]
Sigma [Mega Man]
Chun Li [Street Fighter]
Wesker [Resident Evil]
Dante [Devil May Cry]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Amaterasu [Okami]
Strider Hiryu [Strider]
I could see this being the Capcom half of a Nintendo Vs. Capcom game, plus Ryu, Ken and Mega Man.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Among other things, Master Chief Collection would be cool to see and put some pesky arguments to rest in the process (lol).

And Hi-Fi Rush too. I recall that being rated for Switch and nothing came of it, so maybe they pushed it back? I haven't played it yet but it looks like fun.
Hi-Fi Rush was my favourite game last year, it's so good. The Switch 2 should probably be just powerful enough to run it, so I hope Tango being acquired means it can be followed through on.
All I ask for in regards to the Switch 2 is more menu themes.

Like, for ****'s sake, we already had this figured out in the 3DS days. How has the Switch 1 been out for 7 YEARS and we still only have basic black and white themes?
I suspect the reason for this is because the Switch OS is super light-weight. It only takes up 1 GB of RAM, meaning games have access to 3 out of the 4 GB of RAM total. That's already super limited, so if the Switch OS had more going on such as additional themes, it would interfere with the performance of games. For reference the PS5 reserves 2.5 GB of RAM for the OS.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For reference the PS5 reserves 2.5 GB of RAM for the OS.
Good to know we're moving away from having half the RAM be dedicated to the OS.

I'm serious. I always thought it was stupid for Sony to give the PS4 8GB of RAM only for games to be stuck with 4.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah it's interesting. I will point out though that there were a few pre-release Ultimate screenshots with Smash 4 Battlefield. Sakurai actually said himself that they used it as a test stage.

As for why specifically Smash 4 Battlefield, IDK maybe Sakurai just really likes it.
Its weird that they didnt just go ahead and keep it in the actual game. They already had it in a playable state if they were using it for tests.

All I ask for in regards to the Switch 2 is more menu themes.

Like, for ****'s sake, we already had this figured out in the 3DS days. How has the Switch 1 been out for 7 YEARS and we still only have basic black and white themes?
Corporate minimalism ruins things.

Oh! And Demitri and Morrigan.
And Phoenix?

Slime Scholar

Smash Journeyman
It is almost unfair how many good candidates Capcom has, which is why it's baffling to me that we only got Ken in Ultimate. They're second only to Nintendo in the diversity of their IP and in the sheer number of genre-defining games that they have.

I still think Phoenix Wright is the best fit, but I don't think there are many 'bad' choices.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Because trying to argue "EiH cost Ultimate newcomers", while pretending 11 of Ultimate's newcomers 'don't count', is not telling the full story, and is blatant cherry-picking.
Except I never said nor argued they don't count. In fact, this whole argument spun off because I mentioned that the base roster started with those 11 as a counterpoint to your argument from earlier.

I don't know where you're getting this from, but it blatantly misrepresents what I've been saying from the very beginning of this argument.

Except you don't work for Nintendo. So you don't know how any of that went.

You aren't telling the full story. You're speculating it.
Firstly, neither do you, and yet you've been arguing based on the same facts and information I have so this a weak statement.

Secondly, the information of the base newcomer count, DLC count, the timeline of the DLC, and the like are not speculative. That's all information we do have on hand and can be used factually when talking about how Ultimate got from 11 newcomers to 24, and how it compares to previous games, and that's been a major crux of our argument.

it's okay for you to ignore the last 4 to get your count?
Unless the base Ultimate newcomer roster was 15 or the final count was 28, I never did that.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I still think doing “Nintendo VS Everyone Else” (still limited to gaming) would be an interesting way to keep things fresh, hyped up, and change up expectations, but I see the logistical issues with it a bit. Would be the most fun potential way for a next game to go. 25 to 32 Nintendo, 25 to 32 third parties, Nintendo side is soft rebooted along with some of the current third parties. But again, there would be drawbacks people have with it all. As with every approach. Nobody is ever satisfied, really.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Hisuian Zoroark wouldn't really fit that bill becaise it is a Normal/Ghost type and can't learn very many ice moves. But they are associated with Snow so It's not that far fetched

No we need the real Ice Reps

Damn! I'd love seeing the Snow Bros. in Smash. I love that game!
Wow! I just discovered they had a new game:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I still think doing “Nintendo VS Everyone Else” (still limited to gaming) would be an interesting way to keep things fresh, hyped up, and change up expectations, but I see the logistical issues with it a bit. Would be the most fun potential way for a next game to go. 25 to 32 Nintendo, 25 to 32 third parties, Nintendo side is soft rebooted along with some of the current third parties.
Everybody gets 3!

Nintendo
Mario [Super Mario Bros.]
Kirby [Kirby]
Pikachu [Pokemon]

Konami
Snake [Metal Gear]
Simon [Castlevania]
Bill Rizer [Contra]

Sega
Sonic [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Bayonetta [Bayonetta]
Kiryu [Yakuza]

Capcom
Mega Man [Mega Man]
Ryu [Street Fighter]
Arthur [Ghosts 'n Goblins]

Bandai Namco
Pac-Man [Pac-Man]
Heihachi [Tekken]
Mitsurugi [Soul Calibur]

SquareEnix
Cloud [Final Fantasy]
Hero [Dragon Quest]
Bub [Bubble Bobble]

Microsoft
Master Chief [Halo]
Banjo & Kazooie [Banjo Kazooie]
Steve [Minecraft]

SNK
Terry [Fatal Fury]
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
Kasumi [Dead or Alive]
Rygar [Rygar]

Arc System Works
Kunio [River City Ransom]
Billy Lee [Double Dragon]
Sol Badguy [Guilty Gear]

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
DarthEnderX DarthEnderX Would swap Kirby, Bill, Arthur, Mitsurugi out for Link, Bomberman, Nemesis, and Agumon, and add an SNK with Terry, Nakoruru, and Marco, but these are personal quibbles.

Also secret Sony team with Kratos, Parappa, and whichever third choice is liked best between Sweet Tooth, Ratchet & Clank, Aloy, and some other one. Certainly.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
For fun, here's a list of how many times each character shows up in the challenge board images
:ultmario:-11
:ultluigi:-8
:ultpeach:-3
:ultbowser:-4-----1(Giga Bowser)
:ultdoc:-2
:ultrosalina:-4
:ultbowserjr:-4----1(Shadow Mario)
:ultlarry:-2
:ultroy2:-3
:ultwendy:-2
:ultiggy:-2
:ultmorton:
:ultlemmy:
:ultludwig:
:ultdaisy:-5
:ultdk:-5
:ultdiddy:-4
:ultkrool:-7
:ultlink:-6
:ultzelda:-5
:ultganondorf:-5
:ultsheik:-3
:ulttoonlink:-4
:ultyounglink:-1
:ultsamus:-1
:ultzss:-5
:ultridley:-4
:ultdarksamus:-2
:ultyoshi:-7
:ultkirby:-8-----1(stone transformation)
:ultmetaknight:-0?
:ultkingdedede:-3
:ultfox:-2
:ultfalco:-3
:ultwolf:-4
:ultpikachu:-7
:ultjigglypuff:-4
:ultpichu:-6
:ultmewtwo:-2
:ultlucario:-1
:ultpokemontrainer:-1
:ultsquirtle:-4
:ultivysaur:-2
:ultcharizard:-1
:ultgreninja:-3
:ultincineroar:-6
:ultness:-5
:ultlucas:-3
:ultfalcon:-6
:ulticeclimbers:-6
:ultmarth:-1
:ultroy:-2
:ultike:-5
:ultrobin:-3
:ultlucina:-3
:ultcorrin:-4
:ultchrom:-2
:ultgnw:-1
:ultpit:-2
:ultpalutena:-5
:ultdarkpit:-2
:ultwario:-3----1(Wario's Bike, without Wario)
:ultolimar:-1-----2(Pikmin without Olimar)
:ultrob:-3
:ultvillager:-11
:ultisabelle:-11
:ultwiifittrainer:-10
:ultlittlemac:-4
:ultmiifighters:-3
:ultshulk:-5
:ultduckhunt:-5
:ultinkling:-9
:ultsnake:-9
:ultsonic:-5
:ultmegaman:-4
:ultpacman:-4-----2(arcade Pac)
:ultryu:-5
:ultken:-7
:ultcloud:-2
:ultbayonetta:-5----1(batwithin)
:ultsimon:-5
:ultrichter:-1

*Some alternative forms were counted separately, these include Pac-Mans arcade form, Shadow Mario, Bat within(Bayonetta), Pikmin without Olimar, Wario's bike without Wario, Giga Bowser, Kirby chest transformation

Some notes
Daisy was counted 4 times before Peach showed up
I initially forgot to include Star Fox icons and it wasn't until right at the end of page 2 any showed up
It took soooo long for regular Samus to show up. Didn't see her until page 7, the online challenges. It's a photo of her and Dark Samus
There's a character on a warp star riding with Lucario, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Ike and Simon who I just can't make out (this image was also the only one Lucario showed up in)
There's an image of Mario and a bunch of gold characters. One of the gold characters wasn't counted because I couldn't tell if it was Mario or Luigi (and if it's Mario, it wouldn't be counted anyway)
Shulk doesn't like wearing his shirt, only wore it in one image.
META KNIGHT DOESN'T SHOW UP?? Unless he's the mysterious character riding the warp star (which it could be) Meta Knight isn't in a single image.
The only image with Martha is a group photo of Wario eating all the Fire Emblem characters
Pikmin are in more images than Olimar
Charizards only image is a group photo of characters in the air
Roy is the only Koopaling to show up in a image without Bowser Jr. And obligatory Roy and Roy image
The only photo of Game & Watch is just a rainbow of G&W. It's kinda tucked away too
The only photo of Richter is him on a bus attacking Dracula
There's an Image of Zelda in front of an explosion that's kinda hard to make out characters. Ganondorf and Ridley were counted but I couldn't see anyone else in the mess
The only image of Young Link was him drinking Milk with Isabelle
The only image with Pokémon Trainer was him in the background behind Squirtle and the Great Bay Turtle

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It is almost unfair how many good candidates Capcom has, which is why it's baffling to me that we only got Ken in Ultimate. They're second only to Nintendo in the diversity of their IP and in the sheer number of genre-defining games that they have.

I still think Phoenix Wright is the best fit, but I don't think there are many 'bad' choices.
Best fits to me are definitely Monster Hunter and Okami. They fit right in, seeing their games are all about action and combat after all. They'd work very well together in a reveal trailer for obvious reasons as well.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I already said there are no guarantees on what kind of game we could've/would've gotten instead. Explicitly avoiding going too deep into those hypotheticals. But it seems like you are trying to say that, whatever else they could have done, it would have had no advantages over doing EiH, and would have been strictly worse in all facets. Which is false.
Not at all. I'm saying that criticizing the decision to do EiH because they could have made something else in its place is not only unfair without knowing what that "something else" might have been, but it's also useless.
By this logic Sakurai could have not made a new Smash at all, making... I don't know... Ice Climber Uprising in its place, and that could have turned out to be the best 2d platformer ever. Or he could have abandoned game development altogether and become the best chef in Japan.
It's all totally baseless.

I disagree that the sacrifices of EiH were not apparent from the final release, and no, that doesn't force me to deny that Ult had a lot of content. Sakurai's own words basically attest to the monumental amount of effort that went into pulling that off, besides.
The game has series record amounts of content in stages, items, modes and a gigantic amount of single player collectibles.
So... What was the sacrifice?

Also I don't recall Sakurai ever being that dramatic about Everyone is Here. He sure never said that doing that prevented other aspects of the game to shine.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For fun, here's a list of how many times each character shows up in the challenge board images
:ultmario:-11
:ultluigi:-8
:ultpeach:-3
:ultbowser:-4-----1(Giga Bowser)
:ultdoc:-2
:ultrosalina:-4
:ultbowserjr:-4----1(Shadow Mario)
:ultlarry:-2
:ultroy2:-3
:ultwendy:-2
:ultiggy:-2
:ultmorton:
:ultlemmy:
:ultludwig:
:ultdaisy:-5
:ultdk:-5
:ultdiddy:-4
:ultkrool:-7
:ultlink:-6
:ultzelda:-5
:ultganondorf:-5
:ultsheik:-3
:ulttoonlink:-4
:ultyounglink:-1
:ultsamus:-1
:ultzss:-5
:ultridley:-4
:ultdarksamus:-2
:ultyoshi:-7
:ultkirby:-8-----1(stone transformation)
:ultmetaknight:-0?
:ultkingdedede:-3
:ultfox:-2
:ultfalco:-3
:ultwolf:-4
:ultpikachu:-7
:ultjigglypuff:-4
:ultpichu:-6
:ultmewtwo:-2
:ultlucario:-1
:ultpokemontrainer:-1
:ultsquirtle:-4
:ultivysaur:-2
:ultcharizard:-1
:ultgreninja:-3
:ultincineroar:-6
:ultness:-5
:ultlucas:-3
:ultfalcon:-6
:ulticeclimbers:-6
:ultmarth:-1
:ultroy:-2
:ultike:-5
:ultrobin:-3
:ultlucina:-3
:ultcorrin:-4
:ultchrom:-2
:ultgnw:-1
:ultpit:-2
:ultpalutena:-5
:ultdarkpit:-2
:ultwario:-3----1(Wario's Bike, without Wario)
:ultolimar:-1-----2(Pikmin without Olimar)
:ultrob:-3
:ultvillager:-11
:ultisabelle:-11
:ultwiifittrainer:-10
:ultlittlemac:-4
:ultmiifighters:-3
:ultshulk:-5
:ultduckhunt:-5
:ultinkling:-9
:ultsnake:-9
:ultsonic:-5
:ultmegaman:-4
:ultpacman:-4-----2(arcade Pac)
:ultryu:-5
:ultken:-7
:ultcloud:-2
:ultbayonetta:-5----1(batwithin)
:ultsimon:-5
:ultrichter:-1

*Some alternative forms were counted separately, these include Pac-Mans arcade form, Shadow Mario, Bat within(Bayonetta), Pikmin without Olimar, Wario's bike without Wario, Giga Bowser, Kirby chest transformation

Some notes
Daisy was counted 4 times before Peach showed up
I initially forgot to include Star Fox icons and it wasn't until right at the end of page 2 any showed up
It took soooo long for regular Samus to show up. Didn't see her until page 7, the online challenges. It's a photo of her and Dark Samus
There's a character on a warp star riding with Lucario, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Ike and Simon who I just can't make out (this image was also the only one Lucario showed up in)
There's an image of Mario and a bunch of gold characters. One of the gold characters wasn't counted because I couldn't tell if it was Mario or Luigi (and if it's Mario, it wouldn't be counted anyway)
Shulk doesn't like wearing his shirt, only wore it in one image.
META KNIGHT DOESN'T SHOW UP?? Unless he's the mysterious character riding the warp star (which it could be) Meta Knight isn't in a single image.
The only image with Martha is a group photo of Wario eating all the Fire Emblem characters
Pikmin are in more images than Olimar
Charizards only image is a group photo of characters in the air
Roy is the only Koopaling to show up in a image without Bowser Jr. And obligatory Roy and Roy image
The only photo of Game & Watch is just a rainbow of G&W. It's kinda tucked away too
The only photo of Richter is him on a bus attacking Dracula
There's an Image of Zelda in front of an explosion that's kinda hard to make out characters. Ganondorf and Ridley were counted but I couldn't see anyone else in the mess
The only image of Young Link was him drinking Milk with Isabelle
The only image with Pokémon Trainer was him in the background behind Squirtle and the Great Bay Turtle
gotta say it’s surprising meta knight isn’t in any of them

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Okay, here it is. Feast your eyes.

View attachment 394541
I still dont understand how careless The small Link slot is treated!
Like my first 5 games were the oracles, Phantom houglass, Spirit Tracks and Minishcap!
I only started playing as adult link in oot (which also features a small link)
Like Small links are the protagonist of atleast half the series (if we are charitable towards adult Link)
Also having the only link in the game being Champion Link is even more sacriligous!

BTW this isnt a you problem it just seems whenever People make smash rosters they always kick out the small link slot and i dont like that!
Even sheik is kapt more often!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like my first 5 games were the oracles, Phantom houglass, Spirit Tracks and Minishcap!
Like Small links are the protagonist of atleast half the series (if we are charitable towards adult Link)
Also having the only link in the game being Champion Link is even more sacriligous!

BTW this isnt a you problem it just seems whenever People make smash rosters they always kick out the small link slot and i dont like that!
I believe it's for these reasons:
  1. When doing small roster sizes, most every series is reduced to their bare essentials excluding newcomers. This requires cutting the Smol Links (Sheik sometimes gets in on seniority).
  2. The Smol Links are clones of Link that are also the same character, thus making them redundant in the eyes of most. That's also partially the point of them, as they're Links for people who don't like Link's playstyle and physics, but it doesn't win them much favor in the eyes of the Smash community.
  3. Young and Toon Link are both irrelevant at this point, while Model Link hasn't quite established himself as a consistent artstyle within the series since he's only been a part of a low-budget remake, and only has a minor appearance in a spin-off about Zelda, so adding him is hard to justify.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I believe it's for these reasons:
  1. When doing small roster sizes, most every series is reduced to their bare essentials excluding newcomers. This requires cutting the Smol Links (Sheik sometimes gets in on seniority).
  2. The Smol Links are clones of Link that are also the same character, thus making them redundant in the eyes of most. That's also partially the point of them, as they're Links for people who don't like Link's playstyle and physics, but it doesn't win them much favor in the eyes of the Smash community.
  3. Young and Toon Link are both irrelevant at this point, while Model Link hasn't quite established himself as a consistent artstyle within the series since he's only been a part of a low-budget remake, and only has a minor appearance in a spin-off about Zelda, so adding him is hard to justify.
But so is classic Adult zelda! And shes often included!
Sheik and young link debuted in the same game!
And Sheik is incredibly irrelevant!

Also the LA Remake wasnt reallly low budget! It looked really good!

So yeah while some of your points discredit Smol Link sheik is even worse of on most!

Anyways just hope they include a smol link (or toon and toy together) in the next smash!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But so is classic Adult zelda! And shes often included!
Are you referring to the current incarnation we have in Smash? If so you're not wrong, but it's less that they're specifically including Zelda from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds and more that they're...adding Zelda. We just don't know what form she'll take. It could be the same to spread the representation across the series like last time, but it could also be her newest appearance, and is likely to be if Ganondorf makes the jump.

Sheik and young link debuted in the same game!
And Sheik is incredibly irrelevant!
So yeah while some of your points discredit Smol Link sheik is even worse of on most!
When Sheik makes rosters like these, it's due to seniority as an impactful character to Smash specifically. It's the same reason why Fox, Captain Falcon, and Ness are on every single one. Young Link unfortunately doesn't have that kind of legacy within the series. Combine that with how he's seen as redundant and he fact that he hasn't had a game in 5ever and yeah, given the choice between the two Sheik wins every time. It's a similar story with Toon Link, but there's at least more of an argument for him.

Also the LA Remake wasnt reallly low budget! It looked really good!
Those aren't mutually exclusive things.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Creating a roster is difficult for me cause I neither want to commit to Everyone is Here 2.0, nor do I want to make any significant cuts so I just end up keeping 95% of Ultimate's roster while slapping like two dozen newcomers on it which gets the roster well into the triple digits which I doubt the next game would reach.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

A Link clone seems almost necessary at this point. Champion Link seems like a mainstay for now, and I think they'll keep Toon Link cause of his overall impact and popularity. The cel shaded style of Wind Waker influenced the art style of Zelda significantly in future installments.

I do also think Toon Link should take priority over Sheik. And that Sheik is definitely the weakest link in the Zelda series, despite not being a Link.

To go further in that pun, technically it's Young Link who's actually the weakest Link, but that's so obvious I already ruled him out.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A Link clone seems almost necessary at this point. Champion Link seems like a mainstay for now, and I think they'll keep Toon Link cause of his overall impact and popularity. The cel shaded style of Wind Waker influenced the art style of Zelda significantly in future installments.

I do also think Toon Link should take priority over Sheik. And that Sheik is definitely the weakest link in the Zelda series, despite not being a Link.

To go further in that pun, technically it's Young Link who's actually the weakest Link, but that's so obvious I already ruled him out.

It's a tough call but if it really came down to it, I'd honestly still keep Sheik over a second Link. It's a unique moveset vs a clone character.

Going in the opposite direction though, if I could have my way, we'd have about a dozen Links on the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just show your newcomers then and adopt a "Whoever they cut, they cut" attitude to the rest of the roster.
We disagree on our roster approach quite a bit but I can agree with this sentiment, it really does feel like the most productive way to handle things right now when the future is so uncertain. I've definitely adopted a "whatever happens happens" attitude toward third parties in particular. No clue how to go about judging that so I just pick out the ones I have something interesting to say about.

Mind you I still like discussing cuts and I don't think it's something we ought to shy away from, but when creating roster mockups its often the notable absences that demand more attention than the newcomers. If you just wanna talk about your fresh ideas then it's fine to just say here's some of the characters I'm expecting for next game and call it a day.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I do think full rosters with limited slots are an interesting thought experiment because everyone does something different.

Like say for instance they limit themselves to 50 slots or less the ratio of newcomers to veterans can be wildly different for everyone who does it and who they keep and who they add can also be an interesting way to get an idea of what they want from smash.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I had personal bias against some of the characters, so I was able to cut them. Along with some characters I thought weren't priorities and/or aren't relevant anymore outside of Smash.

Ultimate was huge in scale, and it's fine for the next Smash to not recreate its size. It might have many cuts, but if it adds enough newcomers, it can have a reason to be played over Ultimate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It's a tough call but if it really came down to it, I'd honestly still keep Sheik over a second Link. It's a unique moveset vs a clone character.

Going in the opposite direction though, if I could have my way, we'd have about a dozen Links on the roster.
Am not sure if Toon Link is to be considered a full clone. He's more or less a preservation of the old Link move set , and an overall well beloved character, who's also more important overall than Sheik.

I'll choose Toon Link every time. For the same reasons one could argue to pick Sheik over Ganondorf, also a "clone". I think we need a broader perspective than this.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He's more or less a preservation of the old Link move set
ehhhhhhh there's not really anyone in Ultimate who plays like :linkmelee::link2::4link:

BotW Link has those BotW-based changes, Young Link is more combo-oriented and has a stubbier sword and worse kill power, Toon Link is both too nimble and floaty to be classic Link and has a new forward smash that isn't the two-parter.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is the pettiest pet peeve ever but I don't really like roster mock-ups that shuffle the newcomers and veterans together a la Smash 4's CS. It makes it hard to pick out who's cut, who's staying, and who's new at a glance.
nod Smash introduction order is best order.

Although even then, I have a bunch of Echoes mixed in, cause I put them with their originals.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With just how varied Link has become in the games and spin-offs the close resemblance various versions of him have to each other in Smash does start to feel a bit limiting after a while.

In some ways even more than the lack of a non Tri-force trio fighter, it still seems like a shame that there's loads one can do with Link that don't rely on the notion of neutral special - arrow, forward special boomerang, down special - bomb, up special - sword spin, yet that sort of variance hasn't really happened. Maybe to many that seems intrinsic to every version, but for me with so many tools and weapons Link has had in the last 35 years, there has to be more that can be done with him.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I guess another reason to expect so many cuts is the assumption that the Switch 2 will be backwards compatible with Switch 1 games, meaning Ultimate will still be playable on the Switch 2, meaning any characters who get cut in the next Smash game will still be playable in Ultimate.
Enough with the rosters, let's post some bingo cards!

If you could pick a line to make a reality for Smash 6, which would it be?

This made me decide to do a bingo card of my own. Out of the characters I picked for my card, which line would you pick?
Alear​
Aigis​
Ayumi Tachibana​
Alucard​
Bandana Waddle Dee​
Chun-Li​
Dixie Kong​
Crash Bandicoot​
Marina ft. Pearl
Drone​
Estelle Bright​
Meowscarada​
Kratos​
FREE SPACE​
Lloyd Irving​
Noah & Mio​
Nakoruru​
Oatchi​
Shadow the Hedgehog​
Raven Beak​
Shantae​
Ring Fit Trainee​
Sol Badguy​
Tom Nook​
Master Chief​
Waluigi​

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Enough with the rosters, let's post some bingo cards!

If you could pick a line to make a reality for Smash 6, which would it be?

Last row - Purple-haired girl I don't know the name of, Waluigi, Dixie, Crash, and Pauline.
I guess another reason to expect so many cuts is the assumption that the Switch 2 will be backwards compatible with Switch 1 games, meaning Ultimate will still be playable on the Switch 2, meaning any characters who get cut in the next Smash game will still be playable in Ultimate.

This made me decide to do a bingo card of my own. Out of the characters I picked for my card, which line would you pick?
Alear​
Aigis​
Ayumi Tachibana​
Alucard​
Bandana Waddle Dee​
Chun-Li​
Dixie Kong​
Crash Bandicoot​
Marina​
Estelle Bright​
Meowscarada​
Kratos​
FREE SPACE​
Lloyd Irving​
Noah & Mio​
Nakoruru​
Oatchi​
Shadow the Hedgehog​
Raven Beak​
Shantae​
Ring Fit Trainee​
Sol Badguy​
Tom Nook​
Master Chief​
Waluigi​
Second row: Chun-Li, Dixie, Crash, Marina (idk if it's the one from Mischief Makers or Splatoon, but bonus if it's the latter), and Estelle.

Top Bottom