• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
View attachment 394437

Argue semantics with me all you want, this is a really good game with Bowser as a main character regardless of what counts as a “Bowser game”.
No arguments there, I adore this game. But for this discussion it's more about their own series as well. Like you could argue Luigi's Mansion and Princess Peach Showtime could have their own emblem and such. Harder to justify with Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No arguments there, I adore this game. But for this discussion it's more about their own series as well. Like you could argue Luigi's Mansion and Princess Peach Showtime could have their own emblem and such. Harder to justify with Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
His face is the emblem. It’s on the boxart, and it’s been his emblem starting in the N64 era.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Something I will say is that developers can be very specific about gameplay mechanics that are patented. If Bandai Namco can literally own having a mini game during a loading screen for a few years, then Nintendo having some very narrow gameplay interaction under lock and key that Palworld may have even inadvertently infringed on would not surprise me in the least. I'm not saying it's right, but especially in Japan it's something very strongly enforced.
Someone in a Discord server I'm in mentioned that apparently Nintendo has a patent on day/night spawn rates? Have no idea how true that is, but it's a small gameplay related thing that came up about it lol

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
His face is the emblem. It’s on the boxart, and it’s been his emblem starting in the N64 era.
But like, you couldn't use Bowser's face as the emblem of the Mario & Luigi series which is what I mean. Bowser's Inside Story isn't a spinoff of Mario & Luigi. It's the third entry of a series with Mario and Luigi as the main characters. Even in Bowser's Inside Story where Bowser is one of the leads, he's a lead alongside Mario & Luigi

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Someone in a Discord server I'm in mentioned that apparently Nintendo has a patent on day/night spawn rates? Have no idea how true that is, but it's a small gameplay related thing that came up about it lol
So are they gonna sue Rockstar over GTA having different types of pedestrians spawn more during daylight and nighttime?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But like, you couldn't use Bowser's face as the emblem of the Mario & Luigi series which is what I mean. Bowser's Inside Story isn't a spinoff of Mario & Luigi. It's the third entry of a series with Mario and Luigi as the main characters. Even in Bowser's Inside Story where Bowser is one of the leads, he's a lead alongside Mario & Luigi
Counterpoint: Xenoblade emblem

Look at me, now I’m arguing semantics. :079:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Counterpoint: Xenoblade emblem

Look at me, now I’m arguing semantics. :079:
I mean if you wanna get REALLY technical, there is TECHNICALLY a Monado in every game, if we're talking the Smash icon for the series lol

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
"Nintendo's probably staying silent because the Switch 2 is about to be revealed"

Nintendo after silence

Guys, I don't think Palworld is coming to Smash...

Surprised they're suing for patent infringement and not something like designs. Seriously, some of those monster designs were flying WAY too close to the sun, even taking into account the tracing thing being debunked.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I mean if you wanna get REALLY technical, there is TECHNICALLY a Monado in every game, if we're talking the Smash icon for the series lol
Somehow I knew this was going to be brought up lol.

Honestly even with context of later games, Monado is very fitting as the emblem. Obviously it's imagery is everywhere in the first game but the monado is in every Xenoblade game in some shape or form. Even X featured it as a hairclip for Lin.

In other news, I posted my first article!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
But we both know they don’t look like Shulk’s.
I swear this is the last "haha semantics are funni" post about this I'll make lol

technically since Shulk is in all three games it does? xenoblade 1 is obvious, he shows up in 2 as a bonus blade (and even aside from that, Malos's isn't TOO different, just purple and much spikier), 3 has the Monado being kept by Melia (the Monado REX from Future Connected) and Shulk uses a version of that Monado as his Blade in Future Redeemed lol

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
OK guys, hear me out…

I know that Reimu Hakurei pretty much has a snowball's chance in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks of getting into Smash, and she'd probably have a better chance of becoming a Mii Fighter. But I think I know what may increase her chances.

It probably won't happen anytime soon (if ever), but I'm kind of hoping Team Shanghai Alice will port and localize the original Touhou games (PC-98 and Early Windows) to modern consoles and PC via Steam.

Besides, wouldn't it be awesome to hear ZUN's music in Smash? (Maiden's Capriccio, Bad Apple, U.N. Owen Was Her?, etc.)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
OK guys, hear me out…

I know that Reimu Hakurei pretty much has a snowball's chance in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks of getting into Smash, and she'd probably have a better chance of becoming a Mii Fighter. But I think I know what may increase her chances.

It probably won't happen anytime soon (if ever), but I'm kind of hoping Team Shanghai Alice will port and localize the original Touhou games (PC-98 and Early Windows) to modern consoles and PC via Steam.

Besides, wouldn't it be awesome to hear ZUN's music in Smash? (Maiden's Capriccio, Bad Apple, U.N. Owen Was Her?, etc.)
I dunno about PC-98 or early Windows (PC-98 is basically a different continuity at this point, and the early Windows games ran on a completely different engine than the one Mountain of Faith used and standardized for future games), but I believe Touhou 9 and onward (minus 17.5 and the fighting games, with the exception of Antinomy of Common Flowers) are all on Steam, and I know Antinomy of Common Flowers and 17.5/Sunken Fossil World are on Switch at least.

EDIT: Reading more into this, ZUN has also apparently stated before in an article that he lost the source code for Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, so that's a big complication for Touhou 6, and that first gen apparently has trouble working properly on modern computers (6-8 came out on Windows XP after all lol).

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
A bit late to the Capcom convo, but... well, I know it's a snowball's chance in heck of this happening (even WITH Capcom Fighting Collection 2 coming out next year), but I'd like Batsu Ichimonji and/or Akira Kazama in Smash Bros.

Of course, I'd LOVE it if BOTH made it in, but I'm legit willing to take either at this point.
I've love to see something done with the Rival Schools series.

Also, just imagine Kunio vs Batsu. That'd be a cool matchup!

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like they wouldn’t go with nearly as many third party characters with such a small roster but it would definitely be interesting.
They don't have much of a choice when you're only allowed 1 character per series.

When your Bowsers, Diddys, Charizards and Dededes are off the table, you have no choice but to branch out more.

It's kind of an unfortunate byproduct of a roster like this where we end up really light on female fighters. It's easy to see how it happens, but it's pretty glaring.
That's fair.

Tell you what. Here's Fighter Pass 1:

Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
Amaterasu [Okami]
Shantae [Shantae]

Come on, why are we even entertaining the idea of a "One character per series!" roster. That's never happening.
We're not. It's a thought exercise. For fun.

Here is my top three most wanted Capcom characters:
1. Arthur [Ghosts 'n Goblins]
2. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
3. Dante [Devil May Cry]

On my list, I only included characters with their own "series". So nobody from a one-shot game or spinoff.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Also, I finally FINALLY finished my Donkey Kong problem video that I started like 4 months ago (and recorded like 2 months ago)

Does Smash Bros have a Donkey Kong problem? That is the question
I just watched the video.

Yeah, Donkey Kong could definitely use some better representation in Smash. They should include more music from the DKC series that isn't just Jungle Level (DK Island Swing/Jungle Japes). We need more of David Wise's work!

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Copying and pasting from The Social Thread
Discovered something:
If you sped up the E3 2018 trailer theme from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, it sounds very similar to Hard Beat X Break Beat from that old Neptunia anime from 2013. Take a listen!
(Make sure that the Smash theme is on 1.25 or 1.5 speed)
Possible inspiration? I dunno.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
We need a Bowser game so he can be the sole rep of that series

Luigi has Luigi's Mansion
Peach has Showtime

Give Bowser his own game

(I wonder how many veterans you could bring back using loopholes like this)
You could consider rotating cast series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, and Xenoblade as different franchises.

I mean… different worlds… different stories… different casts… but still connected to the main series in some way…

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Not that people are actually making use of that so-far-advanced hardware. Even Astro Bot's main reason for being PS5 exclusive is that it makes use of the adaptive triggers and touchpad in the PS5's controller rather than its visuals.
I'm a bit late, but this is absolutely not true lol
This level has you able to instantly shrink down to mouse-sizes seamlessly without a loss in texture quality. This would not be possible without the PS5's SSD allowing for the instant loading of data and without the PS5's GPU and CPU being strong enough to handle such high resolution textures that can be loaded in so there's no loss in texture quality. If Nintendo wanted to do this on the Switch they would not be able to, because the console is not strong enough to handle it.
This boss fight has a second phase transition that seamlessly moves into an entirely different outdoors environment and has you moving at high speeds with new trees constantly loading in with no lag or drop in textures.

There's plenty of examples of this across the game. I'm sure I'm sounding like a bit of a shill right now, but one of Astro Bot's biggest strengths is how it flexes the PS5's power to introduce mechanics that would not be possible on a weaker console. This doesn't just apply to a cartoony game like Astro Bot either, there's plenty of games that use their graphical power to tell a story for example. Space Marine 2 would not be as good of a game as it is if you weren't able to spot Tyranids from across the entire skybox and see them charge at you, and if the texture quality wasn't high enough to sell the gritty, grimy dark sci-fi aesthetic.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm a bit late, but this is absolutely not true lol
This level has you able to instantly shrink down to mouse-sizes seamlessly without a loss in texture quality. This would not be possible without the PS5's SSD allowing for the instant loading of data and without the PS5's GPU and CPU being strong enough to handle such high resolution textures that can be loaded in so there's no loss in texture quality. If Nintendo wanted to do this on the Switch they would not be able to, because the console is not strong enough to handle it.
This boss fight has a second phase transition that seamlessly moves into an entirely different outdoors environment and has you moving at high speeds with new trees constantly loading in with no lag or drop in textures.

There's plenty of examples of this across the game. I'm sure I'm sounding like a bit of a shill right now, but one of Astro Bot's biggest strengths is how it flexes the PS5's power to introduce mechanics that would not be possible on a weaker console. This doesn't just apply to a cartoony game like Astro Bot either, there's plenty of games that use their graphical power to tell a story for example. Space Marine 2 would not be as good of a game as it is if you weren't able to spot Tyranids from across the entire skybox and see them charge at you, and if the texture quality wasn't high enough to sell the gritty, grimy dark sci-fi aesthetic.
I was exaggerating when I said that, I admit. I just haven't been impressed by the 9th gen all that much, my PS5 is pretty much just a Gran Turismo machine although I plan to get Astro Bot eventually.

Master_Scorpion

Smash Cadet
So, how do guys feel about the Xenoblade representation in Smash?

We have two (three) characters in Shulk, Pyra and Mythra. :ultshulk::ultpyra::ultmythra:

We have two stages with Gaur Plains and Cloud Sea of Alrest.

We have lots of music tracks from 1 and 2.

We have no items but Riki is an assist trophy.

There are lots of spirits from 1 and 2 with a few other spirits from X. And of course, there's the promotional XC3 spirit.

Overall, I think Xenoblade is doing really well. The two (three) characters are some of the franchise's most popular and important. The stages are great. I especially like Cloud Sea of Alrest. The music selection is great even if there are very few remixes. Riki is a fun assist trophy and the spirits all make sense.

Everything in the game seems to be great (except Shulk's face). I don't think it's fair to count the absence of XC3 stuff because that game came out much later. I do wish there was more XCX stuff though. Elma would be rad, but even a XCX stage or some music tracks would go a long way. Honestly I'd just love more XCX spirits. There's only five and they feel more like obligations.

What do you guys think?
Elma is one of my most wanted and I’d love a stage from X whether she’s playable or not other than that and no 3 representation yet I feel like one assist trophy from 2 and Metal Face also being a boss would be about all it needs

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I still think, if Snake makes it into the next game and they were to include both his MGS1 and MGS2 designs and the Tuxedo, Big Boss/Naked Snake (MGS3) would make a nice alt, and I'm not talking about that camo recolor of Solid Snake's suit.
They probably wouldn't do it, but another neat detail they could use for Big Boss is that instead of using Solid Snake's intro, which is a reference to the Tanker opening cutscene from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, they could have him enter by taking off a parachute and landing, much like one of the beginning cutscenes from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Virtuous Mission).

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think this might be a genuine 0/10 roster honestly. Damn.
you are one of the most passionate, honest users on this forum. do not take that for granted.

however i respectfully decline your roster :202:
So people have mentioned a bunch of stuff with this roster and I won't go into all that, but I'm also baffled at using Louie over Olimar when Olimar is playable in every Pikmin game (main character of Pikmin 1, one of the captains in Pikmin 2, playable in some Missions and Bingo Battle in Pikmin 3, and gets his own side story in Pikmin 4).

Add on that Ms. Pac-Man isn't even appearing in Pac-Man games lately because of royalty rights disputes and nonsensical changes like replacing Steve with an enemy that only knows how to run over to you and explode, alongside everything everyone else has mentioned? And also the decision, with such small roster space available, to add a SECOND ARMS character whose only difference is she gets an extra jump, rather than just keeping Min-Min?

Yeah this ain't doing it for just about anybody lol
Nice that you guys are respectfull!
But the point of this roster was a nothing is sacred aproach to shake things up!
That was the assignment!
You guys know i would never want meta knight to be cut for example!
I wanted to do a wacky reboot roster and apparently i succeded looking at your reactions!

Basically this was the assignment:
When people say ‘reboot roster’, many just call it a day where they keep all the legacy Melee/Brawl vets and add a few new faces.
I’d like to see some roster attempts where no stone is left unturned for a true rebooted roster.

I did go a bit crazy though! sometimes i just swapped chars because why not? there is however some method to the madness like:
Louie was choosen because i had only limited icons and because of his unique status as protagonist villain you guys know i love villains!
In general a lot of franchises in my rosters also become victims of my ocd most often mario! i like to cram all mario characters in the top row because i think that looks nice!

Basically this is not my Smash 6 roster (although having toon link and zelda over their champion version is a choice i genuinly prefer!

Bye for now (meaning a couple hours)

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
  • Pih-Rah
  • Pyra
Xenoblade 2 definitive edition confirmed! Now with Pyra's outfit from SSBU.
Xenoblade 2 is probably the one Switch game I can see most people being okay with getting another shot on Switch 2… other than the XCX supporters, I am so sorry.

It could also be a good opportunity to get an epilogue to be a bridge between 1/2/3 and the eventual XC4.
He's saying Pyra is confirmed to stay in the next Smash
Pyra & Mythra feel likely to return anyway. XC2 is still the best selling game in the Xenoblade series, and they are still some of the most popular characters in the series. I think these two are underestimated by the community when it comes to their chances to return.

And with a possible roster cut where seniority may start to become more of a risk, I think it bodes well for these two to return.

I mean, it’s a fair shout to suggest if Smash had started in the Switch era, or if Shulk hadn’t gotten in Smash 4, we probably would have gotten Aegis anyway in Ultimate’s DLC. And I suppose the best comparison there would be Ness in Smash 64.
Basically this was the assignment:
When people say ‘reboot roster’, many just call it a day where they keep all the legacy Melee/Brawl vets and add a few new faces.
I’d like to see some roster attempts where no stone is left unturned for a true rebooted roster.

I did go a bit crazy though! sometimes i just swapped chars because why not? there is however some method to the madness like:
I imagine a true reboot would likely leave some legacy series behind. Mother probably being the biggest example of being at risk under a true reboot.

Sometimes there are no replacements for cut characters, more so under a full reboot. There’s always character that someone likes, after all.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe I’m completely misunderstanding the “presentation in hours” thing but don’t they usually announce these presentations days in advance? How many times have we had a surprise Direct or presentation with no prior announcement. Seems like that would be a good way to have a lot of people miss it live that would have otherwise been interested.

Last edited:
Top Bottom