• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well, Brawl already gave me a Labrador, so... I'd like a Beagle next time around!

By the way, I have a question I'd like to ask everyone here regarding the Nintendog AT. It's something I've been thinking about ever since Smash 4, and I'm kind of surprised I haven't brought it up till now...

Basically, what do you all think of the idea of a Ninten-cat having, let's say... a 1% - 5% chance of popping out of an AT?
Honestly even just having multiple breeds of dogs that can appear would be cool, and yeah a small chance for a cat would be, too.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Well, Brawl already gave me a Labrador, so... I'd like a Beagle next time around!

By the way, I have a question I'd like to ask everyone here regarding the Nintendog AT. It's something I've been thinking about ever since Smash 4, and I'm kind of surprised I haven't brought it up till now...

Basically, what do you all think of the idea of a Ninten-cat having, let's say... a 1% - 5% chance of popping out of an AT?
Speaking from experience with cats... it should be 50%.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I going to assume that if Pyoro is teasing anything it probably has nothing to do with the Switch 2 or any hardware reveal. It was pretty much confirmed that his info came some sort of eshop backend access. Pyoro had incredibly limited information for the June Direct, mostly third-party stuff, and it's because Nintendo chose to delay putting up eshop pages for bigger announcements instead of having them ready to launch right after the direct. The only games Pyoro did know about and hint at were games that still had eshop pages up and ready to go beforehand (like Ace Attorney Investigations). This also goes for information they had for things like Nintendo World Championships, Everybody 1-2 Switch!, the Sonic Superstars rabbit skin DLC info, and even the Another Code remakes getting a demo - all stuff that would have been uploaded to the eshop and set to go up immediately after their announcements.

Now, after the whole interview nonsense it would be reasonable to assume that Pyoro's source or however they were getting that info would have been plugged up, but there's always the chance that it never actually happened and they just sat low for a while to get eyes off of everything for a bit. Or, maybe there's a new source they've managed to acquire. Or maybe they're just trolling. Who knows? Either way based on their past information I don't know how they'd be aware of an immanent hardware reveal unless there was something about it tied to the eshop.
Yeah, I remembered Pyoro got themselves in hot water for something. I'm a relative newbie to Smash spec, only logging on during FP2, but even I know to take all leaks with a massive grain of salt. Especially when it's something as vague as two tweets that have three letters each. And like you mentioned, Pyoro was basing everything off the eShop backdoor, so unless they're redoing the eShop itself in preparation for the Switch 2 I doubt they'd have anything (And even if they were doing something for the Switch 2, I doubt they'd do it to the publically accessible eShop until much later. They'd probably have it on hold somewhere else until they roll out the updates)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've love to see something done with the Rival Schools series.

Also, just imagine Kunio vs Batsu. That'd be a cool matchup!
At the very least, I wonder if they'd be willing to give us a Mii Brawler outfit of Akira Kazama's biker suit (Well, technically it's her big brother's gear, but still).

I think it'd be neat if they did what they did with Terry and added some Rival schools tracks to the Street fighter music list, since they exist in the same universe.
Oh, I'd LOVE for the following songs to be used...

EVERY Taiyo High School theme from both Rival Schools AND Project Justice
Gorin Dome
Gorin High
Gedo High
Pacific High
Seijyun High
Ziggy Amusement Park
Justice High
Justice High (Project Justice)
Illusory Space (Hyo Imawano's Theme)
Aoharu Square
Atsui Kodou (Burning Hearts, Rival Schools' PS1-exclusive intro theme)
A medley that combines Project Justice's Main Theme (0:37-1:17) and Project Justice's Character Select Theme

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Okay guys, we've been talking all this worthless stuff like characters, stages and gameplay. Useless. Effort wasted. It's time to discuss the really important things.

What dog breed will the Nintendog assist trophy be in the next game?

We've had a Labrador, a French Bulldog and a Toy Poodle. What will be next?
I'm partial to Beagle personally, but I'd also be fine with a Shiba Inu, since French Bulldog and Toy Poodle in Smash 4 and Ultimate were two of the 3DS versions and Shiba Inu was the last one in Japan (was changed to Golden Retriever in the west).

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Re: Nintendog. Border Collie. In memory of our family pet that passed away a year ago.

Re: Pyoro. What Pyoro is doing right now is the textbook definition of "I'm going to post something so vague that can be interpreted is a hundred of different ways so people will think I'm right regardless of what happens". "pih" and "rah" are all gibberish and mean nothing. It can be read as "Presentation in Hours" just as much as "Pickles in Hamburger".

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
For nintendog I'd absolutely like a spaniel. I'm very biased as that is my parents' dog (cocker specifically), but god I love spaniels.

Also finally started SMT VV, and seeing these animations and designs in a decent quality just makes me want it in Smash more. It's so cool. The new form would also make an excellent alt, assuming it has no major gameplay changes I haven't heard about.

And... I wonder if someone else has Pyoro's account or something. As people have mentioned, these tweets are so vague they could retroactively be pointed to as "clues" for almost anything. We're getting the console reveal soon anyway in all likelihood so it doesn't really matter.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord

This is a really cool idea for a platform fighter character. Moves like the Sister Combo and Powerpuff Slingshot are really fun and make good use of the three characters. Now that there's a tangible 3-in-1-at-once concept like this out there, it's easier to picture what Chorus Kids could've fought like if they ever made the roster, for me at least. I always thought having three out on the field would look weird but I'm glad to see devs of other platfighters proving me wrong and push the boundaries of what a character in this genre can be.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
When the topic was on Smash Reboot rosters, I tried cooking up something for that

Even made the DLC

(This could also double as a "If smash was made in modern day" type roster)

Not too sure about this one, I tried to combine what I think would happen vs. what I want to happen, I think as a result it is lacking some pizazz and spontaneity but I would be quite happy with this if it was real.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
When the topic was on Smash Reboot rosters, I tried cooking up something for that

Even made the DLC

Not too sure about this one, I tried to combine what I think would happen vs. what I want to happen, I think as a result it is lacking some pizazz and spontaneity but I would be quite happy with this if it was real.
Did.... You cut Pit.... And keep Palutena???

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

This is a really cool idea for a platform fighter character. Moves like the Sister Combo and Powerpuff Slingshot are really fun and make good use of the three characters. Now that there's a tangible 3-in-1-at-once concept like this out there, it's easier to picture what Chorus Kids could've fought like if they ever made the roster, for me at least. I always thought having three out on the field would look weird but I'm glad to see devs of other platfighters proving me wrong and push the boundaries of what a character in this genre can be.
Never thought I'd see the day we get Trice Climbers...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Did.... You cut Pit.... And keep Palutena???
Yes, I kept Palutena originally because she fit a niche I hadn't filled yet, but upon reflection and If I redo this (I probably will when I get bored enough) I would probably keep Pit instead (or just have both).

Love both characters, but when I started it I felt Palutena would have been just that much more unique.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Even made the DLC

Looking back on this (after like 3 hours lol), wait why the **** did I keep the Sportsmates??? yeah I need to change a few things but I don't feel like editing it.
-Sportsmate
+Pit

I'd also change
-DJ Octavio
+Dragaux

I like Octavio but it feels weird that I added him before any of the idols, and with the removal of the Sportsmates it left an opening for another Fitness based Nintendo game.

I overthink these things way too much.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Still on team no cuts just saying. Been getting cutspec content recommended to me more often so just wanted to cheer for my team! Ultimate 2/DX using Ultimate + DLC as a base and using same resources you would a hypothetical Smash 6 without Ultimate base.

Who actually wants this game? Cutting characters seems to carry a weird kind of hype among the Nintendo/Smash community and I just can't help but feel sorry for this attitude. What a waste of talent and resources is almost all I have to say after that. Smash is game of grandiosity and I hope Nintendo can be bothered with all their profits to appreciate that more than the community expects. It's the first real platform fighter, the one that defined the subgenre, that still has its original creator that's carrying it on to this day and has a whole hell of lot more potential to be expanded upon I think. Quite literally cheapens the game to eschew all that in some misguided attempt at profit maxing.

I also don't like the certainty people speak to this supposed profit maxing. Nintendo can certainly afford to make Ultimate 2/DX with more than enough high quality dev work put into it. There's quite literally no reason NOT to use Ultimate + DLC as a base to make an even bigger Smash 6 than one starting from scratch. And it would maintain the legacy of the franchise all the while. Whatever would or wouldn't make the most profit should be a lower priority than what makes the brand function in pop culture. It'd still be Smash and it'd maybe be much more profitable Smash but something important would be lost if Smash takes this direction. Fans shouldn't expect this much less want it because I think that expectation very likely let's Nintendo get away with mediocrity. Doesn't help the AAA space to give Nintendo an easy excuse either.

A Smash from scratch with cuts would have to have a heavily expanded moveset arsenal to be worth it to me. That's what I would want most of all. In addition to overhauls for the characters that stay in the game they'd all need to a plethora of added actionable options for me to think it was worth losing a lot of beloved characters over. Easy examples being giving everyone a Shield-Special and Back-Special and more. Universal counter option perhaps? There's so much that could be added.

And I wouldn't want dev time and resources wasted on Single-player content along with Trophies coming back because the former is overwhelmingly not as replayable as the Multiplayer content inherent of Smash (and it goes without saying it's not even close in comparison) and the latter is literally unplayable. I also think Spirits were just a cooler/better collectible overall in how they worked to augment the actual play and feel of the game itself rather than simply as some strict viewable reward collectible.

It sucks too because while I would very much appreciate a hypothetical from scratch/cut-heavy game with a stellar new direction like that I also know the speculation for new characters would really suck after that because it'd be a long Veteran vs. Newcomer debate that would frame all speculation from there on until Everyone is Here is potentially achieved again if ever at all. Also you only do Smash Ultimate 2/DX with same resources as a Smash 6 directly after Smash Ultimate itself while you could do a game from scratch with a heavy emphasis on moveset arsenal expansion at any point in Smash's discography. I would want an Everyone is Here sequel with one more big crazy run (just like Sakurai said to keep the record going in the Banjo-Kazooie demonstration) one more time for the game before potentially leaving it behind in favor of a heavy reboot of the game if at all possible and I believe that's the borderline objective best outcome for the series.

That's just all my perspective though obviously. It's nothing whatever.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Still on team no cuts just saying. Been getting cutspec content recommended to me more often so just wanted to cheer for my team! Ultimate 2/DX using Ultimate + DLC as a base and using same resources you would a hypothetical Smash 6 without Ultimate base.

Who actually wants this game?
I don't really. I want to see the series move forward, not stagnate, and the herculean effort required to bring back everyone again and again will definitely do that.

Cutting characters seems to carry a weird kind of hype among the Nintendo/Smash community and I just can't help but feel sorry for this attitude. What a waste of talent and resources is almost all I have to say after that. Smash is game of grandiosity and I hope Nintendo can be bothered with all their profits to appreciate that more than the community expects. It's the first real platform fighter, the one that defined the subgenre, that still has its original creator that's carrying it on to this day and has a whole hell of lot more potential to be expanded upon I think. Quite literally cheapens the game to eschew all that in some misguided attempt at profit maxing.
Speculation itself is hype, not necessarily the cuts themselves. Very few people are rubbing their hands together like "ohoho finally we're getting rid of [insert X character]!". Heck, we have people like DarthEnderX, the guy who openly despises quite a few character inclusions, is the most vehement that everyone comes back. So it's not that anyone wants to hamstring the roster, it's that we want a new game, and you can't get that without sacrificing at least 20 or so characters.

I also don't like the certainty people speak to this supposed profit maxing. Nintendo can certainly afford to make Ultimate 2/DX with more than enough high quality dev work put into it. There's quite literally no reason NOT to use Ultimate + DLC as a base to make an even bigger Smash 6 than one starting from scratch. And it would maintain the legacy of the franchise all the while. Whatever would or wouldn't make the most profit should be a lower priority than what makes the brand function in pop culture. It'd still be Smash and it'd maybe be much more profitable Smash but something important would be lost if Smash takes this direction. Fans shouldn't expect this much less want it because I think that expectation very likely let's Nintendo get away with mediocrity. Doesn't help the AAA space to give Nintendo an easy excuse either.
The certainty exists due to Sakurai himself saying that "Everyone Is Here!" cannot happen again. 69 full characters was too much, and caused a huge development sync, the effects of which can be felt throughout the game. There's only 6 full newcomers at launch, a lot of series staples in terms of single player content are just not here, etc. The logical response to this is to expect less than 69 characters, not more than 82, and that's even assuming they use the previous game as a base like they did for Ultimate.

A Smash from scratch with cuts would have to have a heavily expanded moveset arsenal to be worth it to me. That's what I would want most of all. In addition to overhauls for the characters that stay in the game they'd all need to a plethora of added actionable options for me to think it was worth losing a lot of beloved characters over. Easy examples being giving everyone a Shield-Special and Back-Special and more. Universal counter option perhaps? There's so much that could be added.
I dunno about universal shield specials (sounds clunky), but new mechanics and overhauls for older fighters is exactly what people are interested in when they talk of a reboot.

Side Tangent: Smash isn't going to reboot. It's far more likely that we'll see about 20 characters dropped, just enough to make development run smoothly, and in exchange we see a natural evolution of the franchise like we have before.

And I wouldn't want dev time and resources wasted on Single-player content along with Trophies coming back because the former is overwhelmingly not as replayable as the Multiplayer content inherent of Smash (and it goes without saying it's not even close in comparison) and the latter is literally unplayable. I also think Spirits were just a cooler/better collectible overall in how they worked to augment the actual play and feel of the game itself rather than simply as some strict viewable reward collectible.
This is all just preference talking. I will say that objectively, fighting games benefit massively from single player content, and a lack of it is a common criticism of the genre. Heck, it's a common criticism of Ultimate.

It sucks too because while I would very much appreciate a hypothetical from scratch/cut-heavy game with a stellar new direction like that I also know the speculation for new characters would really suck after that because it'd be a long Veteran vs. Newcomer debate that would frame all speculation from there on until Everyone is Here is potentially achieved again if ever at all.
The veteran vs. newcomer debate will probably only exist for DLC. For base, everyone is going to expect the vast majority of the roster to be veterans, with the normal amount of newcomers Ultimate notwithstanding. DLC for this game in particular will probably be kinda rough, with people very much wanting their favorite veteran and some people very much not wanting that favorite veteran, and others still preferring that DLC is all newcomers. I think the game after this will probably settle down though, and depending on how they structure their DLC, the debate could simply not happen because we know what to expect.

Side Tangent: You know, that would be a good compromise, show all the veterans in the season pass, but keep the newcomers secret so you can have the hype reveals as well. It's not like the veterans really need the big CGI trailers anyhow.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since we’re posting our rosters, I might as well share mine again. The lack of Olimar was an oversight and he should be there.

1726832073530.jpeg

I’m on team no-cuts myself but I realize that it’s basically an inevitability at some point. I’m just hoping we can keep the base roster around Ultimate’s with a similar final number after DLC, which is what I tried to do here. Going back to a Brawl sized roster at this point would really feel like a letdown without something huge to make up for it. I’d probably still buy the game but it would kill my hype of speculating newcomers.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Is it roster posting time? I’ve made a few changes from last time.
IMG_1784.jpeg

Please note asterisks denote an echo fighter.
  • :ultrosalina: has been cut, in favour of :ultsteve: due to concerns over too many Mario characters.
  • Isaac has been cut, in favour of Astral Chain’s Officer Howard.
I think Ultimate was… Ultimate. It was a celebration of gaming history in one fun package. But as we know, things can’t last forever. Doing Ultimate Deluxe would feel cheap, since everyone who wants Ultimate already owns Ultimate.

I think scaling back the EIH and the ‘celebration of gaming’ angle is the way to go. Less third parties, and less veterans means more room for new faces to get a shot.

I like the idea of a new game being a ‘celebration of the Nintendo Switch era’, with how successful it’s been and how certain series have gained more prominence in this era, namely the post-Brawl added series of Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, and Splatoon.

A total of 72 characters here is still a ton of characters. The likelihood is many characters will end up being cut in the game after this one.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Is it roster posting time? I’ve made a few changes from last time.
View attachment 394488
Please note asterisks denote an echo fighter.
  • :ultrosalina: has been cut, in favour of :ultsteve: due to concerns over too many Mario characters.
  • Isaac has been cut, in favour of Astral Chain’s Officer Howard.
I think Ultimate was… Ultimate. It was a celebration of gaming history in one fun package. But as we know, things can’t last forever. Doing Ultimate Deluxe would feel cheap, since everyone who wants Ultimate already owns Ultimate.

I think scaling back the EIH and the ‘celebration of gaming’ angle is the way to go. Less third parties, and less veterans means more room for new faces to get a shot.

I like the idea of a new game being a ‘celebration of the Nintendo Switch era’, with how successful it’s been and how certain series have gained more prominence in this era, namely the post-Brawl added series of Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, and Splatoon.

A total of 72 characters here is still a ton of characters. The likelihood is many characters will end up being cut in the game after this one.
Even if we scale back the third party content, I personally prefer Smash to celebrate Nintendo’s entire history rather than just focusing too much on the newest console generation. I think we should still get characters from newer games but the roster would get a little too boring and predictable if that’s all we get. Thats just my opinion though.

Top Bottom