• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DKing

Smash Apprentice
In a scale to 1 to 10 what are the chances we can get other Final Fantasy games music in the games like FF6, FF15 , FF8...? Without a fighter.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Beat me to it, But If not considered spoiler for people, Then I'll say it's time to Clinch onto Seats. The Console seems to be all that people want and need it to be. The Superior version of the Switch, and maybe that Sae Philosophy will apply to the Games/Software made for it, Smash Included
Sae philosophy?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In a scale to 1 to 10 what are the chances we can get other Final Fantasy games music in the games like FF6, FF15 , FF8...? Without a fighter.
I’ll say around a 6 but that’s just a guess. We have content from other games in the third party series in Smash like Persona 3 and 4 music so I wouldn’t think there should be an issue beyond licensing. If they can work that part out, I think it’s pretty likely but that’s apparently pretty tough with that series specifically.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Remember when Nintendo's hardware was praised for its longevity, to the point where it was referred to as Nintendium? How the mighty have fallen.

None of my Joy-Cons lasted over two years without beginning to drift. My 2017 Pro Controller lasted a fair bit but has finally started to give out and drift this year. It's really gross how they've been able to just get away with it.
Well said.
Like, I'd prefer them to just raise the price if they must, but then make it worth it.
Having to change 2-3 joycons during the console's lifetime due to no fault of your own but because they... essentially just break on their own, absolutely sucks.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What does everyone think of Miku's chances?

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated to the current stuff but something interesting
Freedom Wars was a Vita exclusive game partly developed by the Sony first-party Japan Studio and which was published by SIE themselves, it's an IP Sony owns. Apparently the director wanted to do a remaster, and was given permission by Sony to use the license and have it be published by Bandai Namco. It's notable because the game is coming to Switch, despite not coming to Xbox as a Sony first-party IP. I know people were speculating that Lego Horizon being on Switch was a demand by Lego, but this would indicate that Sony is willing to at least put some of their smaller IPs/older titles on Switch. So like, take that as you will.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
When people say ‘reboot roster’, many just call it a day where they keep all the legacy Melee/Brawl vets and add a few new faces.

I’d like to see some roster attempts where no stone is left unturned for a true rebooted roster.
Oh so you want that okay here:
1726672267128.png

I still kept most of the important characters! But donkey and diddy now share a spot!
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
And avatar characters are gone!
Even Pikachu evolved!
And guess whos missing? Falcon punch man!
Heck i even replaced the Smash 4 3 thirdpartys with other similar characters!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 394420
I still kept most of the important characters! But donkey and diddy now share a spot!
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
Even Pikachu evolved!
I think this might be a genuine 0/10 roster honestly. Damn.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think this might be a genuine 0/10 roster honestly. Damn.
I’m not really a fan of the roster either but I think that was a bit uncalled for. There’s definitely a lot of really questionable choices here like removing Peach, Metaknight and Isabelle among others though. I’ll give Oracle Link credit for meeting the goal of a wildly different roster at least even if I don’t agree with it. Impa, Dixie, and X are cool choices at least.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I’m not really a fan of the roster either but I think that was a bit uncalled for. There’s definitely a lot of really questionable choices here like removing Peach, Metaknight and Isabelle among others though. I’ll give Oracle Link credit for meeting the goal of a wildly different roster at least even if I don’t agree with it. Impa, Dixie, and X are cool choices at least.
I mean...you could pretty easily do a reboot roster of that size and not have it be that bad lol. I don't think it's uncalled for to call it what I see it as.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
View attachment 394420
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
Even Pikachu evolved!
Wtf are you doing getting rid of Pikachu and replacing it with it's loser older brother?

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 394420
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
Even Pikachu evolved!
The thing is as much as a reboot would have changes, it would at least keep the series' core characters I feel, and would instead focus more on mechanical changes.

This roster changes things for the sake of change and nothing else, with pretty much every choice being worse than what we have currently.

• No Peach is a terrible idea and would never happen.
  • Combining DK and Diddy is actually pretty cool imo, I like this.
  • Toon link and zelda over their normal versions would be genuinely disappointing I think, especially after the whole series was represented in Ultimate.
  • I know octorok is your most wanted character so it being here makes sense (and it's genuinely a cool, unique choice) but I can't really see what it brings to the table at all.
  • Meta ridley, like the toon characters, is a change for the sake of it and adds nothing.
  • A metroid on its own wouldn't really be able to do much - if it was the variants from 2/samus returns then would actually be pretty cool.
  • Not a huge kirby fan but replacing meta knight with dark matter is certainly a choice.
  • Raichu over pikachu confuses me. Why replace the series mascot with a less popular counterpart? Again change for change's sake. Same with scream tail over jigglypuff.
  • Not sure how arceus would work but like... if they got him to work I'd be down tbh.
  • Sceptile is very cool (I'm biased but still)
  • Modern fire emblem needs something at least.
  • They're never getting rid of isabelle.
  • Ninten would unfortunately just kinda be Ness but less popular.
  • Inklings aren't getting cut but like... having actual characters there is cool. Especially Marina, we need black characters in Smash and even beyond that, I really like her.
  • Sonic and the Human make sense.
  • Ms. Pac-man and X are change for the sake of it again. Also Ms. Pac-man is literally impossible I believe? X is cool as a newcomer though
  • A Creeper literally can't fight.
  • Xenoblade will still be there. Like, even if they reboot the whole roster that just means noah and mio I think.

I think a lot of the newcomer choices are... fine, a couple good ones a couple I really don't like. But as replacements for what we have? No, this is just worse unfortunately.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A bit late to the Capcom convo, but... well, I know it's a snowball's chance in heck of this happening (even WITH Capcom Fighting Collection 2 coming out next year), but I'd like Batsu Ichimonji and/or Akira Kazama in Smash Bros.

Of course, I'd LOVE it if BOTH made it in, but I'm legit willing to take either at this point.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Unrelated to the current stuff but something interesting
Freedom Wars was a Vita exclusive game partly developed by the Sony first-party Japan Studio and which was published by SIE themselves, it's an IP Sony owns. Apparently the director wanted to do a remaster, and was given permission by Sony to use the license and have it be published by Bandai Namco. It's notable because the game is coming to Switch, despite not coming to Xbox as a Sony first-party IP. I know people were speculating that Lego Horizon being on Switch was a demand by Lego, but this would indicate that Sony is willing to at least put some of their smaller IPs/older titles on Switch. So like, take that as you will.
Hmm... wonder if Sony would be willing to let the Hot Shots franchise be on Nintendo consoles...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My top three most wanted Capcom characters are Zero, Guile, and Vega. Of those, I think Zero has by far the best chance. Guile would have a decent shot down the line but I don’t think he’s getting in before Chun-Li as the third Street Fighter rep. Vega has basically no chance since he’s a relatively minor character. I do think Zero has a lot going for him already having a presence in Smash as both an assist trophy and Mii costume.

superprincess

Smash Ace
View attachment 394420
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
Even Pikachu evolved!
Some very bad choices all around. No Peach or Pikachu...? I hope you understand why this would make the game tank.

Including Impa and an Octorok when icons like that are missing is a terrible idea. Not to mention the weird, arbitrary replacements like Dixie & Kiddy over K. Rool, or Ninten over Ness? Andross over Falco, solo Marie and Marina but no Inklings, Tom Nook without Isabelle, BWD/Dark Matter over Meta Knight; none of these are worthwhile trades. Some of the replacements aren't even shaking things up, like why scrap Ridley for Meta Ridley when the latter is already a skin? And Scream Tail over Jigglypuff is removing the only thing Jiggs has going for it—legacy—with nothing to make up for it.

Sorry, this gets a genuine 0/10. Almost in joke-roster territory.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Removing a character as obligatory as Peach is grounds for a “0/10” on its own. From that point forward every single new addition will be held under heavy scrutiny for being deemed a higher priority than the most important female Nintendo character. It casts a shadow on the entire roster, I think that's what some people have to consider when making arbitrary character trades that simply trail behind in inherent value.

Smash already doesn't really operate in terms of "replacement", although that is susceptible to change moving forward if roster space is particularly limited. But certain characters like Peach, Meta Knight or Isabelle do not have equivalent exchanges. They are too important to their series and far too popular to feel justified swapping out for another "rep" within their series. In what world Resetti outprioritizes Isabelle, or Dark Matter over Meta Knight, I'm not sure. God forbid Peach, one of the most unique characters on the roster and one of Nintendo's most popular characters, is swapped out for Captain Toad.

This is admittedly the most difficult balance when plotting out smaller rosters. You want to do something new, but there are certain choices that can't really be walked back on by a simple newcomer band-aid. New for newness sake is not Smash's forte and it creates rosters that feel built around shock value more than any coherent ideals.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Removing a character as obligatory as Peach is grounds for a “0/10” on its own. From that point forward every single new addition will be held under heavy scrutiny for being deemed a higher priority than the most important female Nintendo character. It casts a shadow on the entire roster, I think that's what some people have to consider when making arbitrary character trades that simply trail behind in inherent value.

Smash already doesn't really operate in terms of "replacement", although that is susceptible to change moving forward if roster space is particularly limited. But certain characters like Peach, Meta Knight or Isabelle do not have equivalent exchanges. They are too important to their series and far too popular to feel justified swapping out for another "rep" within their series. In what world Resetti outprioritizes Isabelle, or Dark Matter over Meta Knight, I'm not sure. God forbid Peach, one of the most unique characters on the roster and one of Nintendo's most popular characters, is swapped out for Captain Toad.

This is admittedly the most difficult balance when plotting out smaller rosters. You want to do something new, but there are certain choices that can't really be walked back on by a simple newcomer band-aid. New for newness sake is not Smash's forte and it creates rosters that feel built around shock value more than any coherent ideals.
It also doesn't help that despite being billed as a reboot not beholden to older games...a lot of the "newcomer" choices are no more than replacements. What business does Scream Tail have on the roster if it's not being a callback to Jigglypuff? Or Impa (on a roster like this) for Sheik? Or Ninten in general? To say nothing of things like Classic Sonic or Ms. Pac-Man.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like it would be kind of difficult for a Brawl sized roster to differ too much from what we got. I think you could remove the Ice Climbers, Wolf, Jigglypuff and a few other characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. for more recent characters like Isabelle, Inkling, Shulk, and Min-min but I feel the bulk of the roster are pretty much mainstays and would feel wrong to cut.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah... that's literally what I said after acknowledging that the Mii thing was a joke.

I think you missed the part of the post where the Miis were a monkey paw scenario. The scenario I would actually be in favor of is the latter half of the post where MH gets 3 characters based on some prominent/popular weapon classes.

They're customizable to a degree like the Miis but not actual Miis. Separate custom characters dedicated to Monster Hunter.

Getting full movesets centered around the Great Sword or Dual Blades while the bow, bowguns and a couple other weapons and items comrpise some special move options seems pretty reasonable to me.

It's no different than the MvCI Hunter in concept.
Ah, sorry, I think I missed that part. It sounded like you were in favor of three extra Miis specifically, not three extra custom characters like the Miis. That makes more sense; With that in mind I was probably too harsh in my response.

Three customizable characters would be interesting, but I dunno how much customization we could afford for such series-specific archetypes. At that point we might as well get more alts and bring back custom specials for every character. But regardless, I can see the appeal of having a select few focused movesets instead of trying to cover every base in a single moveset. The weapons themselves are treated almost like fighting game characters, with their own ins and outs and unique gimmicks.

Personally, my favorite Monster Hunter concept is this one, where each special switches you to a simplified moveset with a different weapon. It's essentially a stance character, but it doesn't overload the moveset by cramming in three other entire movesets.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It also doesn't help that despite being billed as a reboot not beholden to older games...a lot of the "newcomer" choices are no more than replacements. What business does Scream Tail have on the roster if it's not being a callback to Jigglypuff? Or Impa (on a roster like this) for Sheik? Or Ninten in general? To say nothing of things like Classic Sonic or Ms. Pac-Man.
Well this was something MvC3 was guilty of, but it isn't as blatantly obvious as replacing Pac-Man with Ms. Pac-Man. Cammy's replacement for example is X-23 rather than one of her clones from SF Alpha 3, and it manages to add plenty of newcomers that aren't just replacements for cut MvC2 vets as well.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
View attachment 394420
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
Even Pikachu evolved!
So people have mentioned a bunch of stuff with this roster and I won't go into all that, but I'm also baffled at using Louie over Olimar when Olimar is playable in every Pikmin game (main character of Pikmin 1, one of the captains in Pikmin 2, playable in some Missions and Bingo Battle in Pikmin 3, and gets his own side story in Pikmin 4).

Add on that Ms. Pac-Man isn't even appearing in Pac-Man games lately because of royalty rights disputes and nonsensical changes like replacing Steve with an enemy that only knows how to run over to you and explode, alongside everything everyone else has mentioned? And also the decision, with such small roster space available, to add a SECOND ARMS character whose only difference is she gets an extra jump, rather than just keeping Min-Min?

Yeah this ain't doing it for just about anybody lol

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
When people say ‘reboot roster’, many just call it a day where they keep all the legacy Melee/Brawl vets and add a few new faces.

I’d like to see some roster attempts where no stone is left unturned for a true rebooted roster.
Smash 40 Roster where series are limited to one Fighter each:

1726681883998.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero

View attachment 394426
I feel like they wouldn’t go with nearly as many third party characters with such a small roster but it would definitely be interesting. I still think it’s weird to omit series staples like Peach, especially after she just got her own Switch game.

I feel like these are a good example of why we shouldn’t go back to such a small roster again. It’s really tough to keep so many important characters while giving us enough newcomers for the game to feel fresh with a roster this size.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why are you guys slandering Raichu 😭
He's cool, his tail is a whip!
It's not Raichu slander so much as it is knowing they're never gonna cut Pikachu no matter how many cuts the team needs to make.

They still have a Pikachu character in the anime even though Ash is gone. That's how eternal Pikachu is.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

View attachment 394426
It's kind of an unfortunate byproduct of a roster like this where we end up really light on female fighters. It's easy to see how it happens, but it's pretty glaring. I'm not sure what my solution to that would necessarily be but you did remove some of the only Nintendo series represented dominantly by female characters (Wii Fit, ARMS) so we're losing most of the already limited amount that we have. Maybe you could swap Villager for Isabelle, I unno.

Even under such drastic conditions I think we'd see characters like Peach and Bowser creep through as exceptional cases. But for the sake of your roster I think I'd like to see us dip into prospecting female led series like Puyo Puyo or even Darkstalkers since that's a favorite of yours (mine as well). At least Fio gets to command the Metal Slug I suppose.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's kind of an unfortunate byproduct of a roster like this where we end up really light on female fighters. It's easy to see how it happens, but it's pretty glaring. I'm not sure what my solution to that would necessarily be but you did remove some of the only Nintendo series represented dominantly by female characters (Wii Fit, ARMS) so we're losing most of the already limited amount that we have. Maybe you could swap Villager for Isabelle, I unno.

Even under such drastic conditions I think we'd see characters like Peach and Bowser creep through as exceptional cases. But for the sake of your roster I think I'd like to see us dip into prospecting female led series like Puyo Puyo or even Darkstalkers since that's a favorite of yours (mine as well). At least Fio gets to command the Metal Slug I suppose.
I think this could be partially addressed by some of the third party character choices. There are actually a decent amount of female characters that could work as the sole representative of their franchise in Smash.

Here’s just a few examples:

Shantae
Jinx
Sarah Kerrigan
Tracer
Lara Croft
2B
Joanna Dark
Velvet Crowe
Morrigan
Etna
Lilith
Chell
Agnes

Although I do agree that there should be a few exceptions to this like Peach and Zelda, who should stay. Especially since each of them recently got their own game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I still kept most of the important characters!
I think what you meant was you kept the character who were important to you

It's not Raichu slander so much as it is knowing they're never gonna cut Pikachu no matter how many cuts the team needs to make.

They still have a Pikachu character in the anime even though Ash is gone. That's how eternal Pikachu is.
we should have a captain pikachu alt

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 394420
Ganondorf is now Ganon!
Even Pikachu evolved!
you are one of the most passionate, honest users on this forum. do not take that for granted.

however i respectfully decline your roster :202:

Top Bottom