• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Royaru

Smash Cadet
If each 3rd party company got 1 new rep who do you think would be the most likely one?
SEGA: Kazuma Kiryu
Capcom: Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright
Konami: Bomberman or Alucard
Bandai Namco: Lloyd Irving or KOS-MOS
SE: Neku Sakuraba or Edea Lee
SNK: Mai
Microsoft: Chai
Disney: Rydrake or Spikan from Spectrobes (Copium)
I I know Hi-Fi Rush is no longer from Microsoft, but I haven't played many Xbox games yet. And I know a lot of them aren't exactly likely, but they are my favorites.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If each 3rd party company got 1 new rep who do you think would be the most likely one?
Konami: Bomberman or Alucard
SEGA: A 2nd Sonic character, Arle or Kiryu
Bandai Namco: Nightmare, Lloyd (or some other Tales of protagonist), KOS-MOS or The Prince (Katamari)
Capcom: Chun-Li, Dante, Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright
Square Enix: Geno or a 2nd Final Fantasy character (I'm kind of hoping for Tidus)
Microsoft: Crash Bandicoot, Doom Slayer or Master Chief
SNK: A 2nd Fatal Fury/King of Fighters character, Nakoruru or Marco/Eri/Tarma/Fio
Disney: Roxas, Guybrush Threepwood or Club Penguin

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My exclusive hangup with Monster Hunter is the fact that it hasn't happened yet. I would like to know what the conversation looks like behind the scenes because there's no doubt they've at least discussed it once or twice. Fighter or not, I think more Monster Hunter content is inevitable and frankly I think it's kinda ridiculous we didn't round that out to a stage in Ultimate or something. Assuming next game prioritizes brand new stuff over the legacy content that made up the bulk of Ultimate's development, maybe there will be enough room for one now. But yeah, if both parties are down for MH to get a character I really think there's nothing stopping it from happening. The series has seen notable growth since Ultimate so perspectives may have shifted.

I marked Chun-Li as safer only because Street Fighter already has a fighter. To some this probably means she's a tougher sell - I'm just fully convinced that the next step for filling out like, Brawl-level obvious roster gaps is touching on mainstay third party series and giving them their next dues. I don't think this will be in place of new third parties or blot out first party representation either, I just think this will be an avenue that opens up more in the future. And Chun-Li is pretty obvious top billing if such a thing happens.

The divide between these two characters comes down to character vs brand. Chun-Li is the most important Capcom character absent from the roster, one of the most important video game characters absent if we're being honest. Her presence would be driven by that credibility and how many people are attached to her identity. Monster Hunter is more of a vague "character" and instead is a vessel to represent a massively successful series. Likewise MH is one of the biggest Japanese IP absent from Ultimate's roster (beat out by, as you pointed out, Capcom's own Resident Evil... but that's another can of worms). So I think the value of these two additions levels out to pretty much equal, and that's why I'm also convinced one wouldn't immediately cancel out the other anyway.
Then why didn't it happen when we got the boss or at any point in the DLC? It's not like other Capcom characters took priority unless you count Ken for the historic value in regards to Echo Fighters.

Honestly, the very fact Monster Hunter got representation as early as the base game and CONTINUED to get representation through post-game with Spirits and Mii Costumes but no fighter paints the picture that this was a deliberate choice on Sakurai/Nintendo/the Monster Hunter developers.
As a disclaimer I've sunk like 270 hours into Monster Hunter Rise so my opinions are probably tinged with bias and copium. That being said, I will argue that there's some factors that could've played into the lack of a playable Hunter.

Firstly, almost three-quarters of the series' sales come solely from World, Rise, and their DLC expansions. Ultimate's base roster was set around 2016, before either of those games released. Monster Hunter was still pretty successful back then, but it's wasn't gigaton record-smashing successful at the time - It was still just a cult classic among Western audiences, and the likes of Street Fighter and Mega Man almost certainly outsold it, on top of Resident Evil's perennial records. Sakurai probably thought it was big enough to warrant a boss, but wasn't top priority for a fighter. Now that Monster Hunter has struck gold overseas and shattered almost all of Capcom's records, I'm sure the profile of a playable Hunter would've shot up massively.

Secondly, Ultimate's number one priority was getting in every single veteran, leaving room for only six full new fighters and a handful of clones. It's second priority was filling out ballot picks; As mentioned above, Monster Hunter was still niche in the West at the time, and any potential candidates it might've had (Hunters, Palicoes, maybe Rathalos if we're feeling bold) probably weren't topping the lists. There just wasn't enough room, and a Hunter wasn't big enough yet to reach those high standards.

Third, the DLC focused primarily on third-party characters. The first pass was settled around late 2018, after World had hit it big, and the second pass was set up around late 2019-early 2020, and could've possibly accounted for Monster Hunter Rise as a major Switch exclusive. However, given the wide range of third-parties Nintendo dealt with over the course of Ultimate's lifespan, I think it's safe to say competition was tight for those twelve DLC slots. The fighters we did get were:
  • :ultpiranha: Specified as a weirdo pick that nobody would see coming. Since he was also a pre-order bonus I don't think he operated under the same
  • :ultminmin :ultpyra: Representative of early Switch titles that almost certainly would've been in the base game if there was enough time
  • :ultbylethf: Planned in advance for a big upcoming third-party game
  • :ultjoker: A recent smash success that Sakurai was known to be a big fan of
  • :ulthero: An absolutely legendary series in Japan, and while I'll have to check, I'm sure there were a good few Japanese votes on the ballot for 'em. They also clearly jumped at the chance to shill DQ XIS, but that seems more like a bonus to me
  • :ultbanjokazooie: A hotly-requested character who was stated to have done well on the ballot
  • :ult_terry: A bit smaller compared to the other DLC fighters, but still represents a highly influential company and series with a strong legacy in the fighting game sphere, including in Smash's origins
  • :ultsteve: From the best selling game period. Probably also saw a good few requests going off of that
  • :ultsephiroth: An iconic villain, I'll need the source but I'm pretty sure he was a popular Japanese request. Also addresses the complaints of miniscule Final Fantasy content
  • :ultkazuya: Representative of one of the most successful fighting game franchises, as well as one of Bandai-Namco's flagships
  • :ultsora: He wasn't even planned originally, but he also won the ballot
Everyone has some pretty solid reasons to be added, and when you look at the video game industry as a whole, I'm certain you can find a lot of other potential candidates who also have strong incentives to be added to Smash. Hell, we didn't even get a Capcom fighter during the entire DLC cycle, but Capcom alone has a lot of other big names like Chun-Li, Dante, and the Resident Evil cast.

So to conclude, Monster Hunter's rise to fame happed roughly around Ultimate's life cycle, after the base game fighters were picked, and there were just too many potential options that could've (or did) been added instead and not enough room for everyone. Given the circumstances I don't think "well it hasn't happened yet" is a good reason discount a Hunter's chances for Smash 6

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As a disclaimer I've sunk like 270 hours into Monster Hunter Rise so my opinions are probably tinged with bias and copium. That being said, I will argue that there's some factors that could've played into the lack of a playable Hunter.

Firstly, almost three-quarters of the series' sales come solely from World, Rise, and their DLC expansions. Ultimate's base roster was set around 2016, before either of those games released. Monster Hunter was still pretty successful back then, but it's wasn't gigaton record-smashing successful at the time - It was still just a cult classic among Western audiences, and the likes of Street Fighter and Mega Man almost certainly outsold it, on top of Resident Evil's perennial records. Sakurai probably thought it was big enough to warrant a boss, but wasn't top priority for a fighter. Now that Monster Hunter has struck gold overseas and shattered almost all of Capcom's records, I'm sure the profile of a playable Hunter would've shot up massively.

Secondly, Ultimate's number one priority was getting in every single veteran, leaving room for only six full new fighters and a handful of clones. It's second priority was filling out ballot picks; As mentioned above, Monster Hunter was still niche in the West at the time, and any potential candidates it might've had (Hunters, Palicoes, maybe Rathalos if we're feeling bold) probably weren't topping the lists. There just wasn't enough room, and a Hunter wasn't big enough yet to reach those high standards.

Third, the DLC focused primarily on third-party characters. The first pass was settled around late 2018, after World had hit it big, and the second pass was set up around late 2019-early 2020, and could've possibly accounted for Monster Hunter Rise as a major Switch exclusive. However, given the wide range of third-parties Nintendo dealt with over the course of Ultimate's lifespan, I think it's safe to say competition was tight for those twelve DLC slots. The fighters we did get were:
  • :ultpiranha: Specified as a weirdo pick that nobody would see coming. Since he was also a pre-order bonus I don't think he operated under the same
  • :ultminmin :ultpyra: Representative of early Switch titles that almost certainly would've been in the base game if there was enough time
  • :ulthero: An absolutely legendary series in Japan, and while I'll have to check, I'm sure there were a good few Japanese votes on the ballot for 'em. They also clearly jumped at the chance to shill DQ XIS, but that seems more like a bonus to me
  • :ultbanjokazooie: A hotly-requested character who was stated to have done well on the ballot
  • :ult_terry: A bit smaller compared to the other DLC fighters, but still represents a highly influential company and series with a strong legacy in the fighting game sphere, including in Smash's origins
  • :ultsteve: From the best selling game period. Probably also saw a good few requests going off of that
  • :ultsephiroth: An iconic villain, I'll need the source but I'm pretty sure he was a popular Japanese request. Also addresses the complaints of miniscule Final Fantasy content
  • :ultkazuya: Representative of one of the most successful fighting game franchises, as well as one of Bandai-Namco's flagships
Everyone has some pretty solid reasons to be added, and when you look at the video game industry as a whole, I'm certain you can find a lot of other potential candidates who also have strong incentives to be added to Smash. Hell, we didn't even get a Capcom fighter during the entire DLC cycle, but Capcom alone has a lot of other big names like Chun-Li, Dante, and the Resident Evil cast.

So to conclude, Monster Hunter's rise to fame happed roughly around Ultimate's life cycle, after the base game fighters were picked, and there were just too many potential options that could've (or did) been added instead and not enough room for everyone. Given the circumstances I don't think "well it hasn't happened yet" is a good reason discount a Hunter's chances for Smash 6
Did you just call FE 3rd party?

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

It was a big enough deal to make a collaborative effort to get not only costumes in Smash For, but also a boss that doubles as an Assist and music tracks in Ultimate, and then costumes again and Spirits post-release, but not "enough" to get a fighter when even as far as the costumes first came to Smash, the franchise had surpassed Mega Man and was rapidly encroaching Street Fighter's numbers?

Giving the series content guest series would be LUCKY to get but no fighter when one could easily be negotiated for on top of all that....because "priorizing other franchises"?

A series that's notorious for only including monsters and armor skins for existing characters with crossovers with the sole exception to this day being Marvel Infinite (and there's even rumors this was behind the MH team's back, which requires verification but the fact the rumors exist at all exemplifies the issues in getting an actual "Hunter" character in anything)?

Yeah, not buying it.
It's painfully obvious that a fighter simply was never in the cards because there was no agreement for it between all parties involved. Something Sakurai is on record as having to happen for a guest to be included as a fighter.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Something worth mentioning in regards to Monster Hunter is that there is precedent for the dev team declining a character from showing up in a crossover fighting game. Specifically, Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Now, they did eventually backpedal and allow a character to show up in Marvel Infinite... but we all know how that game turned out. So who knows if they've gone back to being pessimistic on the matter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Something worth mentioning in regards to Monster Hunter is that there is precedent for the dev team declining a character from showing up in a crossover fighting game. Specifically, Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Now, they did eventually backpedal and allow a character to show up in Marvel Infinite... but we all know how that game turned out. So who knows if they've gone back to being pessimistic on the matter.
Kinda feel like they would've refused to let Nintendo/Namco bring back the Monster Hunter Mii costumes if they don't want the Hunters in any more crossover fighters.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I appreciate your writeup and I hear you, the competition was pretty fierce. But just as well, I don't think it's an unreasonable concern to have. I'm certainly not discounting it altogether, like I said plenty can change over the last 5-6 years and I noted it as an honorable mention for a reason.

I feel as if pointing out all the things these characters had in their favor muddles your case a bit more, though. I agree that something not happening yet isn't in itself a good point against it. We already know the other fighters had good credentials in their own right, fighters are individually judged for inclusion. But if they can find 12 fighters to add over Monster Hunter before, they could do it again. MH had as much going for it as most of these characters did if not more. Its stock has risen even further since Ultimate's release, but it was still a massive phenomenon at the time and the inclusion of Rathalos as a boss is a testament to this. The fact that it got this kind of major content to begin with means it was never a matter of whether or not it should be there. It's the kind of treatment you give to a series that would be playable under different conditions, like Animal Crossing in Brawl.

I'll reiterate though, I think Monster Hunter is a likely candidate for the next game. I just also wouldn't blame someone for being hesitant about it given its currently kind of strange limited role in the game and previous rumors about its viability. We should constantly be reassessing these things and addressing how the situation may have changed now, but these aren't nonfactors and color my doubt just enough to still believe Chun-Li's odds are superior. A character who has nothing forseeable standing in her way if the desire is there to add her, is always popular and relevant and appears in every crossover ever.

But again, I don't even think these two are in direct competition. If I put together a roster right now they would both be on it. Supplement for third party series like Chun-Li or Tails / Shadow / Knuckles / whatever probably ought not to be factored into any arbitrary company balance, if that even matters.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Kinda feel like they would've refused to let Nintendo/Namco bring back the Monster Hunter Mii costumes if they don't want the Hunters in any more crossover fighters.
I mean, at the end of the day they're just basic costumes, not a full-fledged character with a unique moveset. Perhaps that was good enough for them.

It's weird logic, yeah, but this series is notorious for weird **** when it comes to 3rd party content.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Monster Hunter World is very obviously the peak of Monster Hunter's breakout in the West, but it should be stated that Monster Hunter was slowly getting more and more popular in the West before then. It had started getting popularity after Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Tri had come out and when Monster Hunter 4 happened for the 3DS and didn't have news for the West release, there were a good amount of people actually begging Capcom to bring Monster Hunter 4 to the West.
And while we didn't get the original Monster Hunter 4, we did eventually get Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when it was made and it became the first Monster Hunter game to reach a million copies outside of Japan. So Monster Hunter was starting to get popularity in the West before World, but World would be the peak that would take Monster Hunter to the top.

Last edited:

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
The difference here is that the Mii costumes are just that: costumes. It's Miis dressed as the hunters, not actual hunters from the series. Having characters dress in various hunter gear is a very common for MonHun collabs, but outside of MvC:I I cannot think of any other instance where an actual Hunter with a defined personality (even just a bland blank slate) has appeared in another game and wasn't just existing characters playing dress-up.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
nevermind this

had Dragalia as an example of Monster Hunter, forgot it was just a skin of the Dragalia OC, Berserker

I do think that people are sleeping on the concept of a playable monster when it comes to Monster Hunter.

maybe not a full size Rathalos or Rajang (although they absolutely should, but they won't, those cowards)

but Monster Hunter Stories do have conveniently people sized version of the monsters (albeit called "Monsties" and I reject that name on principle)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, how do guys feel about the Xenoblade representation in Smash?

We have two (three) characters in Shulk, Pyra and Mythra. :ultshulk::ultpyra::ultmythra:

We have two stages with Gaur Plains and Cloud Sea of Alrest.

We have lots of music tracks from 1 and 2.

We have no items but Riki is an assist trophy.

There are lots of spirits from 1 and 2 with a few other spirits from X. And of course, there's the promotional XC3 spirit.

Overall, I think Xenoblade is doing really well. The two (three) characters are some of the franchise's most popular and important. The stages are great. I especially like Cloud Sea of Alrest. The music selection is great even if there are very few remixes. Riki is a fun assist trophy and the spirits all make sense.

Everything in the game seems to be great (except Shulk's face). I don't think it's fair to count the absence of XC3 stuff because that game came out much later. I do wish there was more XCX stuff though. Elma would be rad, but even a XCX stage or some music tracks would go a long way. Honestly I'd just love more XCX spirits. There's only five and they feel more like obligations.

What do you guys think?

Laniv

Smash Champion
WRT Monster Hunter: Would the Felyne be a viable choice for a fighter?

We have two (three) characters in Shulk, Pyra and Mythra. :ultshulk::ultpyra::ultmythra:

There are lots of spirits from 1 and 2 with a few other spirits from X. And of course, there's the promotional XC3 spirit.

Overall, I think Xenoblade is doing really well. The two (three) characters are some of the franchise's most popular and important. The stages are great. I especially like Cloud Sea of Alrest. The music selection is great even if there are very few remixes. Riki is a fun assist trophy and the spirits all make sense.

Everything in the game seems to be great (except Shulk's face). I don't think it's fair to count the absence of XC3 stuff because that game came out much later. I do wish there was more XCX stuff though. Elma would be rad, but even a XCX stage or some music tracks would go a long way. Honestly I'd just love more XCX spirits. There's only five and they feel more like obligations.

What do you guys think?
Speaking as someone who only played the first couple hours of Xenoblade 1*... It's fine. The character choices are fine (Noah and/or Mio is probably happening next game), the music selection is good, and the stages are... adequate. I like Metal Face but he's the only good part about Gaur Plain.

*I'm sorry y'all I could not get into Xenoblade as a game. Something about the gameplay just does not jive with me :(

cashregister9

Smash Hero

What do you guys think?
There are some minor things like how I think Shulk needs a visual overhaul, he sounds nothing like how he does in the game, he looks weird and they should remove Riki from his Final Smash because he is already an assist and it ruins the reference because you can only have 3 characters in your party including Shulk. The Moveset is fine, it's just cosmetic problems I have. Other than that though it is in a good spot, maybe promote Metal Face to an actual boss.

the XB2 stuff I have no problems with, I think it's represented great, definitely add some more spirits though.

And Obviously I think XCX and XC3 should absolutely get major content in the next game, Noah, Mio and Elma would be very fun to play as, and even getting more obscure characters like A or Matthew would also be really fun. There are plenty of great stage, music and spirit options too.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It was a big enough deal to make a collaborative effort to get not only costumes in Smash For, but also a boss that doubles as an Assist and music tracks in Ultimate, and then costumes again and Spirits post-release, but not "enough" to get a fighter when even as far as the costumes first came to Smash, the franchise had surpassed Mega Man and was rapidly encroaching Street Fighter's numbers?

Giving the series content guest series would be LUCKY to get but no fighter when one could easily be negotiated for on top of all that....because "priorizing other franchises"?
...Yeah? Space is tight when you have only ten-ish slots planned for your passes and like half the game industry you could reasonably negotiate with (Piranha Plant was a bonus and Sora wasn't originally planned, so I don't think they were factored into the original plan). Hell, Resident Evil was Capcom's top seller, and has still sold 6- million more copies than Monster Hunter, and it only got four Spirits. Actually we could make a solid argument for RE in regards to the original topic starter, but let's not get sidetracked.

The point I'm making is that even of a series or character has a lot of boons in their favor, there's a lot of other characters out there that also have incentives to be added. A strong argument for someone's chances is not the same as guaranteeing a place in the roster. Yes, we could hypothetically find twelve other fighters to add instead of a Hunter; But we could say the same for anyone, because it's a big industry and there's a lot of iconic series and characters to choose from. I'm arguing that a Hunter has a good argument to be added, not that it will.

As for the Spirits, the ones added post-launch were for Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2, both of which were upcoming times Switch exclusives. It made sense to throw some Spirit fights together for a quick cross-advertisement. I'd change my tune if the game shipped with a bunch of Monster Hunter Spirits floating around, but we only got Rathalos on launch, followed by two quick promotions for upcoming games. Rathalos is undeniably a standout piece of representation, but it's the only standout. Beyond that we've got two songs, a single Mii, and a couple of promo spirits; That's a little above average for a third-party without a fighter, but not earth-shaking.

A series that's notorious for only including monsters and armor skins for existing characters with crossovers with the sole exception to this day being Marvel Infinite (and there's even rumors this was behind the MH team's back, which requires verification but the fact the rumors exist at all exemplifies the issues in getting an actual "Hunter" character in anything)?
I'd chalk that up to simple pragmatism. Monster Hunter is usually pretty light on plot, and the handfuls of defined characters are usually replaced each game; Out of those handfuls, only a few of them actually do any hunting, and they'll always be second fiddle to the player's avatar. Plus, those avatars are usually covered head-to-toe in gear, with little distinctive traits of their own. So, the most recognizeable aspects of the series are the armors and monsters. A quick armor set or weapon would be the easiest bit of crossover media - And what do you think is more enticing to a player, decking themselves out in Rathalos armor or staring at an NPC who's much cooler than you could ever hope to be (And probably an OC, no less, given the whole blank slate avatar thing)?

Of course, this'll probably sound like a knock against a Hunter's chance to be in Smash. But I think it's worth noting that certain crossovers will prioritize different aspects of a series. For instance, Sonic Frontiers is a single-player, semi-open world game with a relatively limited selection of NPCs, and it probably won't have a reason to throw in a Hunter as a playable character or an NPC; Giving Sonic a Rathalos Armor skin and a slab of meat is good enough. But crossover fighters like Smash or Marvel vs Capcom are built on representing games that people enjoy (And comics in MvC's case, but that's beside the point). Oftentimes, characters are made out of blank-slate avatars to serve as a vessel for the gameplay mechanics, even when the series usually uses marketable mascots instead (re: Hero over Slime).

As for the rumors, I can't find anything concrete over the MvC:I Hunter being against the dev's wishes. There's a six-year gap between MvC3 and MvC:I, and it's been seven years since then and Monster Hunter has gotten much bigger. I'm not going to worry about old rumors until something concrete comes out.

Yeah, not buying it.
It's painfully obvious that a fighter simply was never in the cards because there was no agreement for it between all parties involved. Something Sakurai is on record as having to happen for a guest to be included as a fighter.
Eh, I wouldn't be that quick to definitively say it's because the devs are against it. At the moment, the only reliable source on that is eleven years old and has been later contradicted. With as wide a selection pool as the one Smash has, sometimes a character isn't added simply because they aren't added.

WRT Monster Hunter: Would the Felyne be a viable choice for a fighter?
Eh... Maybe for another series, but Smash places a big emphasis on player characters and translating the gameplay of a game. Felynes are funny marketable mascots, but they're primarily support characters. They're only playable appearance was in Generations, where they're still low-damage support characters. If we're talking about the first, possibly only MH fighter in Smash, I highly doubt we'll see a Palico.

superprincess

Smash Ace
Chun-Li vs. Monster Hunter is a ridiculous debate.

Come on. It's Chun-Li. She's the female fighting game character. Monster Hunter is a successful IP in its own right but I don't think it has the mainstream appeal of Chun-Li as a character. She's a pop culture icon. She'd generate a lot more buzz as a newcomer. Also, the Hunter is a generic avatar so I don't know how big of a fanbase they have as a character. It feels like somewhat of a quota pick, "we gotta have a Monster Hunter character now". Chun-Li's support is a lot more natural imo.

Peach, Zelda, Samus and Chun-Li in the same game would also be such a moment. Only one missing is Lara.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Come on. It's Chun-Li. She's the female fighting game character. Monster Hunter is a successful IP in its own right but I don't think it has the mainstream appeal of Chun-Li as a character. She's a pop culture icon. She'd generate a lot more buzz as a newcomer. Also, the Hunter is a generic avatar so I don't know how big of a fanbase they have as a character. It feels like somewhat of a quota pick, "we gotta have a Monster Hunter character now". Chun-Li's support is a lot more natural imo.

Peach, Zelda, Samus and Chun-Li in the same game would also be such a moment. Only one missing is Lara.
I dunno, selling over a hundred million copies seems pretty dang mainstream to me. I don't doubt Chun-Li would see an a lot of cheering and excitement, but I feel like you're underselling how big MH has gotten. Besides, Smash is no stranger to generic avatars; Our first look at Ultimate was a pair of nameless Inklings looking at a burning Smash Ball and people went wild. Partially because HOLY CRAP NEW SMASH BROS, but Splatoon's a major pillar for Nintendo now. You can't tell me people weren't hyped just to see Splatoon represented in Smash.

Plus, Villager was deemed big enough to be shown off for Smash 4's first E3 trailer, over recognizeable mascots like Tom Nook or K.K. Slider (And I guess Isabelle? But I'm not sure if New Leaf was out by then, so it was probably too early for her).

The way Smash works, people are often invested in a series just as much as they're invested in characters; It's entirely natural to play a game, fall in love with it, and want a vessel to represent it in Smash, even if they're technically not a character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
All this argumentation about how they wouldn't put in a blank slate vessel for a game's mechanics as the representative in smash, meanwhile we have a guy called the most generic possible name in "Hero" whose powerset is so generic, it can be applied to 4 different unrelated men. I'm seeing a really similar downplay of that series importance/popularity and the viability of such a character. I didn't think this needed to be restated but Smash is a pretty ****ing big deal and exceptions can and notably, already have, been made for characters deemed Smash-worthy.

I don't even play Monster Hunter, but a lot of these arguments are in incredibly poor faith or willfully ignorant.

and no, we're not getting the damn cat assistant.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not that financial appeal is or has been the main reasoning for fighters, but the sheer growth MH to the point where World and Rises are the best and second bestselling individual Capcom games of all time, the huge numbers the hypothetical Switch 2 MH game will do, and the likely continued hold Nintendo will have over the Japanese market with the Switch successor?

A Monster Hunter fighter may be simply too tempting for both Capcom and Nintendo to not do, especially with more recent games giving an even greater range of mechanics to work with for a Smash fighter.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
SharkLord SharkLord sorry for repeating what fog said, but since when Fire Emblem is Third Party?
I was mainly listing off all the DLC characters, but I grouped the first-parties at the top. I was trying to cover all the DLC fighters to explain why the DLC collection was so jam-packed
and no, we're not getting the damn cat assistant.
Yeah but then we could force Smash players to read iconic quotes like "Meow! What a furr-ocious meownster!" and "Fly with furr-ious force!"

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ya I think XBC is in a good spot overall. Sure, we can fix up some aspects of Shulk and I'd be cool with some more auxiliary content from X and 3, but I'm mostly content with what we have. Tbh I am happy that XBC 1 & 2 are the ones with the characters; I much prefer those two games to X and 3. I do think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that this series is very fortunate to be where it's at right now; if its content stays more or less where it is after a bit of a roster scale down that is actually a pretty good place for it IMO.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I still think we're getting Zero first and foremost as a base game addition next time. He's literally already halfway there towards being a fighter in Ultimate.
In general a lot of ATs feel like they're halfway to being fighters. I can easily see Sakurai going "Ah, this guy's super cool and got a lot of requests, but there's not enough time for another fighter. Best we can manage is putting the coolest moves on the trophy." Black Knight, Alucard, to a degree Shovel knight also feel like "fighter-lite" ATs the way Zero does.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Chun-Li is a huge deal.

But so is Monster Hunter. It's an IP that shapes the Japanese gaming landscape like Dragon Quest did. It's sheer size and influence cannot be understated.

That aside, they aren't really competing with each other. Pitting the two against each other is silly.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I was mainly listing off all the DLC characters, but I grouped the first-parties at the top. I was trying to cover all the DLC fighters to explain why the DLC collection was so jam-packed
I think they're referring to Byleth being listed as "Planned in advance for a big upcoming third-party game", which I assume was just a typo since it was primarily about the third parties lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I still think we're getting Zero first and foremost as a base game addition next time. He's literally already halfway there towards being a fighter in Ultimate.
Technically it's more like 1/3 but a lot of post-Brawl fighters are made pretty much the same way that Wolf was but with extra steps anyway so the rest of the attack animations he needs pretty much already exist thanks to the likes of Roy and Cloud.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Chun-Li is a huge deal.

But so is Monster Hunter. It's an IP that shapes the Japanese gaming landscape like Dragon Quest did. It's sheer size and influence cannot be understated.

That aside, they aren't really competing with each other. Putting the two against each other is silly.
Honestly? Sometimes I wonder if the "one fighter per company in a wave" rule is just something we're imagining. Why would Nintendo only settle for one character at a time? They're going to pay the licensing fees to the company regardless, so it's not like they're worried about Capcom or Sega or whever getting extra money. If the apparent replacement is another third-party, why would it matter? They'll paying for someone regardless. And they still negotiated for Snake back and both of the Belmonts in Ultimate's base game, on top of Bomberman as an Assist Trophy, so they can obviously license multiple characters at a time. Obviously making a fighter takes more than an Assist Trophy, but would licensing them really cost more? Genuine question, I'm no legal expert but I'm not sure if it would matter in the first place.

AreJay25

I mean if we're going to bring up Mega Man characters, then Battle Network seems like an option that people are kinda sleeping on.

That collection did WAAAAY better than anyone thought it would, and MegaMan.EXE is absolutely filled to the brim with moveset potential. I don't know if he'd get in over Zero, but the possibility exists.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean if we're going to bring up Mega Man characters, then Battle Network seems like an option that people are kinda sleeping on.

That collection did WAAAAY better than anyone thought it would, and MegaMan.EXE is absolutely filled to the brim with moveset potential. I don't know if he'd get in over Zero, but the possibility exists.
Asking for two more Mega Man characters would be really pushing it, but my fantasy has always been a Simon/Richter repeat with .EXE as the major Japan appeal character and Zero as the Western popular fighter. Different movesets and playstyles obviously, just a dual inclusion that pleases fans worldwide.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll just reiterate what I said on the last page since the flame was reignited to make it a one vs the other deal.

The divide between these two characters comes down to character vs brand. Chun-Li is the most important Capcom character absent from the roster, one of the most important video game characters absent if we're being honest. Her presence would be driven by that credibility and how many people are attached to her identity. Monster Hunter is more of a vague "character" and instead is a vessel to represent a massively successful series. Likewise MH is one of the biggest Japanese IP absent from Ultimate's roster (beat out by, as you pointed out, Capcom's own Resident Evil... but that's another can of worms). So I think the value of these two additions levels out to pretty much equal, and that's why I'm also convinced one wouldn't immediately cancel out the other anyway.
Whoever is more pressing to you probably just boils down to your preference in how characters are selected. Aside from the fact that I'm a bigger Street Fighter fan, I also just identify more with established characters over avatars. This doesn't make Monster Hunter less viable on paper, it just makes their addition a bit less personal or valuable to myself. Sakurai and Nintendo have shown no hesitation to add those kind of characters, but we got Sephiroth just as well as we got Hero. I feel like that illustrates the point nicely.

superprincess did mention something I've been trying to express though, which is that Chun-Li's inclusion lends itself to the kind of "dream matchups" that prior additions like Sonic, Cloud or Ryu have provided in the past. Letting her join the lineup of iconic female Nintendo characters makes her rank high in crossover appeal, it's quite an easy hook to sell the audience on and makes Chun-Li feel especially valuable even as a secondary character for an already represented series.

Top Bottom