• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DKing

Smash Apprentice
How do you all feel about an indie fighter in the next Smash?

I feel like it's likely in the next game compared to previous Smash titles, precisely because a lot of indie darling successes released during the Switch compared to previous Nintendo consoles, so much so that Nintendo has even decided to organize a whole presentation specifically for them.
It's likely on the table that we will see an indie rep. Talking of indie do Quote still have a chance like for Shantae, Shovel Knight, Cuphead, Reimu, Sans, Hollow knight or Zagreus...?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Been playing Lollipop Chainsaw

I suggested her as a possible character before but now I’d actually like Juliet as a character in Smash, she would be friggin awesome.

Master_Scorpion

Smash Cadet
If each 3rd party company got 1 new rep who do you think would be the most likely one?
Mine are
Capcom: Monster Hunter
Square Enix: 2B
Bandai Namco: Lloyd
Sega: Eggman
Microsoft: Crash
Konami: Bomberman
SNK: Marco
Ubisoft: Ezio
Koei Tecmo: Hayabusa
Arc System Works: Sol
Sony: Kratos
Level 5: Jibanyan
Warner Bros: Scorpion
EA: Commander Shepherd
Rockstar: John Marston
THQ Nordic: Death
Valve: Gordon Freeman
Embracer: Lara Croft
Disney: Roxas

Any other more major companies I’m missing?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If each 3rd party company got 1 new rep who do you think would be the most likely one?
Mine are

well you forgot Disney who have a character in game

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Did you know Altered Beast was sio prominent in the past it had a even NES version?
Not only that but the NES version, to compensate the lack of graphic, had three extra stages and transformations, lion, shark and griphon.
The lion transformationis the most humanoid, has the fireball like the wolf, and the tiger and the spinning ball attack like the bear.
So, with four wolves, two lions, two tigers and all their moves, we have all skins and the moveset material for a solid Altered Beast rep.
Plus, it was one of the fewest games Sega allowed the NES to have, foreshadowing their future friendship. That should make it past than relevant.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
May as well, before I get started with the day.

Konami - Honestly I don't think another Konami character is especially likely, but I suppose it might come down to Bomberman or Alucard. The fact that both of them are ATs, and that we already know Alucard was under consideration for a playable role puts them firmly on the radar. Not much else to say there, I think they both sorta speak for themselves.

Sega - Probably a new Sonic character by a good margin, whoever it is. The demand for more Sonic content has persisted for years and the series has seen greater success and relevance recently than it has in a long time. For new Sega series though, next would be either Arle or a Yakuza character. I believe Puyo has the slight edge offering something more unique and possessing a deeper legacy on Nintendo, but Yakuza is being treated as part of Sega's three pillars these days and the series may be slowly working its way onto Nintendo consoles as well if the last Partner Showcase is anything to go by.

Capcom - It's Chun-Li, in my opinion. I really do believe we're gonna expand on some mainstay third party series and this is maybe the single most obvious pull available. Even detached from Street Fighter her character presence contributes to Smash's crossover appeal. Monster Hunter is not far behind, a series that continues to thrive and that is demonstrably very important to Nintendo. To be honest I'm leaning toward us just getting both of these characters.

Namco - Tougher call than a lot of people think. By default I think Lloyd is the go-to, but a Dark Souls character is quite a strong possibility too. Both of these are among some of the most successful Japanese IP absent from the roster. If there's any incentive to represent more contemporary successes in gaming, I think Dark Souls is a fantastic choice.

Square Enix - Probably 2B, right? Even beyond establishing herself as kind of a crossover queen, this just feels right. She's one of the most popular new characters to come out of the last decade of gaming and Automata has found its way onto Switch. Amongst SE's usual repertoire of RPGs I think she stands out as fairly unique too. Alternatively perhaps Geno's demand coupled with the Mario RPG remake has paved a way for that to finally happen - but I've decided not to develop strong feelings about those odds one way or another. We'll see what happens.

Microsoft - Still has to be either Master Chief or Doom Slayer. I'm personally inclined to bank on the former, I just think Halo's brand of sci-fi lends himself really well to Smash without the need to compromise much, but DOOM has a presence in the series already and I believe that demand is likely recognized internally. Could see it going either way but yeah, my chips are still down on John.

SNK - My gut says it would be another character from the King of Fighters circle. Geese Howard or Athena feel right to me, and would both offer something really interesting among the existing traditional fighter characters. If they wanted to bring in a new series I'd be shocked if it wasn't Metal Slug. It's the only one that comes close to contesting KOF's popularity and generally I think just offers a great amount of personality to be explored.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean...Guybrush Threepwood is right there.
And Grim Fandango and Maniac Mansion and Spectrobes. But if you asked people regarding another Disney character getting in Smash, very few are going to choose any of those games over another Kingdom Hearts rep.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
When people say ‘reboot roster’, many just call it a day where they keep all the legacy Melee/Brawl vets and add a few new faces.

I’d like to see some roster attempts where no stone is left unturned for a true rebooted roster.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • Konami: Alucard
  • SEGA: Probably another Sonic character
  • Capcom: Either Chun-Li, Monster Hunter or (assuming CERO lightens up) someone from Resident Evil
  • Namco: Probably either a Tales character, a Dark Souls character, or a left-field retro pick like Valkyrie
  • Square Enix: Most likely 2B, maybe someone from The World Ends with You if Sakurai can manage that
  • SNK: Probably Iori Yagami and/or Nakoruru

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Plus, it was one of the fewest games Sega allowed the NES to have, foreshadowing their future friendship. That should make it past than relevant.
All of these ports were by third-party developers, and SEGA in general were a good deal looser when it came to arcade ports in the 80s - there was plenty of SEGA stuff on the PC Engine too. So I don't know that this reads the way you want it to

Also
Calling "indie" a company is even worse than calling Africa "a country".
What the actual ****

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Indie companies are independent from each other and more than one or two could have a rep in Smash.
Labeling a block as "indie" as a stand in for characters not owned by a major corporation is in no way worse than having an amount of ignorance that bleeds into actual racism.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Mine are

Sega: Shadow
Capcom: Dante
Namco: Chosen Undead
Square: Geno
Microsoft: Doom Slayer
SNK: Marco Rossi
Disney: Guybrush

Ivander

Smash Legend
What the actual ****
Labeling a block as "indie" as a stand in for characters not owned by a major corporation is in no way worse than having an amount of ignorance that bleeds into actual racism.
Wait, you're telling me it's actually a thing that some people say unironically and not just some callback to a goof-up from a notable TV comedy show?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Considering "indie" refers to a company and Africa is an entire continent with millions of people, no I don't think it's worse or even comparable.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Capcom - It's Chun-Li, in my opinion. I really do believe we're gonna expand on some mainstay third party series and this is maybe the single most obvious pull available. Even detached from Street Fighter her character presence contributes to Smash's crossover appeal. Monster Hunter is not far behind, a series that continues to thrive and that is demonstrably very important to Nintendo. To be honest I'm leaning toward us just getting both of these characters.
Don't wanna downplay Chun-Li, but Street Fighter isn't my area of expertise so there's not much I can say. What I can add is that Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best-selling game ever, at over 25 million copies sold; Monster Hunter Rise is the second best-selling Capcom game at over 15 million, is the best-selling third-party game on the Switch with 8 million copies there alone, and the franchise as a whole is Capcom's second best-selling series, only beaten out by Resident Evil, which has more installments and has been around for a fair bit longer. Plus, the series was already massive in Japan and practically sold the PSP over there, and has enjoyed worldwide appeal every since World dropped. It must be stressed that Monster Hunter is an insane moneymaker for Capcom, and Nintendo's definitely be aware of it too. Plus, we already have a Monster Hunter boss, so a fighter wouldn't be too far off.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Plus, we already have a Monster Hunter boss, so a fighter wouldn't be too far off.

Then why didn't it happen when we got the boss or at any point in the DLC? It's not like other Capcom characters took priority unless you count Ken for the historic value in regards to Echo Fighters.

Honestly, the very fact Monster Hunter got representation as early as the base game and CONTINUED to get representation through post-game with Spirits and Mii Costumes but no fighter paints the picture that this was a deliberate choice on Sakurai/Nintendo/the Monster Hunter developers.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Don't wanna downplay Chun-Li, but Street Fighter isn't my area of expertise so there's not much I can say. What I can add is that Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best-selling game ever, at over 25 million copies sold; Monster Hunter Rise is the second best-selling Capcom game at over 15 million, is the best-selling third-party game on the Switch with 8 million copies there alone, and the franchise as a whole is Capcom's second best-selling series, only beaten out by Resident Evil, which has more installments and has been around for a fair bit longer. Plus, the series was already massive in Japan and practically sold the PSP over there, and has enjoyed worldwide appeal every since World dropped. It must be stressed that Monster Hunter is an insane moneymaker for Capcom, and Nintendo's definitely be aware of it too. Plus, we already have a Monster Hunter boss, so a fighter wouldn't be too far off.
My exclusive hangup with Monster Hunter is the fact that it hasn't happened yet. I would like to know what the conversation looks like behind the scenes because there's no doubt they've at least discussed it once or twice. Fighter or not, I think more Monster Hunter content is inevitable and frankly I think it's kinda ridiculous we didn't round that out to a stage in Ultimate or something. Assuming next game prioritizes brand new stuff over the legacy content that made up the bulk of Ultimate's development, maybe there will be enough room for one now. But yeah, if both parties are down for MH to get a character I really think there's nothing stopping it from happening. The series has seen notable growth since Ultimate so perspectives may have shifted.

I marked Chun-Li as safer only because Street Fighter already has a fighter. To some this probably means she's a tougher sell - I'm just fully convinced that the next step for filling out like, Brawl-level obvious roster gaps is touching on mainstay third party series and giving them their next dues. I don't think this will be in place of new third parties or blot out first party representation either, I just think this will be an avenue that opens up more in the future. And Chun-Li is pretty obvious top billing if such a thing happens.

The divide between these two characters comes down to character vs brand. Chun-Li is the most important Capcom character absent from the roster, one of the most important video game characters absent if we're being honest. Her presence would be driven by that credibility and how many people are attached to her identity. Monster Hunter is more of a vague "character" and instead is a vessel to represent a massively successful series. Likewise MH is one of the biggest Japanese IP absent from Ultimate's roster (beat out by, as you pointed out, Capcom's own Resident Evil... but that's another can of worms). So I think the value of these two additions levels out to pretty much equal, and that's why I'm also convinced one wouldn't immediately cancel out the other anyway.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Wait, you're telling me it's actually a thing that some people say unironically and not just some callback to a goof-up from a notable TV comedy show?
There are even people that think of Europe as one country like the United States, and no, it's not the same thing.

And OK, my hyperbole was too hyperbolic. My fault! I'm glad no one here thinks of Africa as one country large like Greenland because the damn Mercator projection map makes it look like that.

Though, I'm still thinking we are understimating Indie games, and the probabilities to get like three reps from three different indie companies are higher than we might think, and they could grow as time passes, expecially including DLC characters.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Capcom - a Hero-style Resident Evil Protagonists
Bandia Namco - Lloyd, even though he's been passed over twice
SEGA - Arle
Konami - don't know but the best I can say is it would probably be a character who's basically never discussed
Square Enix - Tifa
Microsoft - don't know, but it's probably going to be one of the big modern successes they got from the Activision-Blizzard deal
SNK - whoever closest fits the role of the Luigi of their OC crossover universe
Disney - Sora 2

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Indie companies are independent from each other and more than one or two could have a rep in Smash.
None of them should have a rep in Smash.

Any particular reason why Activision, Blizzard and Bethesda are separate but RARE is just grouped in under Microsoft?
It was someone else's template.

Last edited:
Top Bottom