• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
we’d never hear the end of it “why’d you do this to my precious waifus” or “why’d you do this to my psychotic genetic psychic”
The implication that Mewtwo is their waifu...

I think I brought this up at some point before but I think it would be really cool to get some independent fan musical artists to make some remixes for the next game. I really like a lot of artists like GaMetal, LittleVMills, FamilyJules, RichaadEB, and others I see on YouTube and it would be cool to hear some of their content in Smash. A couple of these have actually helped with the music in actual games which is cool to see. I’m not entirely sure the specifics of bringing in fans to make remixes for Smash in regards to licensing but I think it could be fun.
I don't know if they'd go for it simply because it's fan content. They don't seem to take down fan remixes, so maybe they're OK with them, but I'm more inclined to believe that they tolerate them because they have to, and would copyright strike them all if they could. The idea of them working directly with them seems out of character. Cadence of Hyrule does have some of these fan composers, but those hires were almost certainly by Brace Yourself Games, with Nintendo having basically nothing to do with it other than maybe approve of the new compositions themselves.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There's no way Bizarro Sephiroth gets picked over Safer Sephiroth. The One-Winged Angel is 100x more iconic than the mid-boss transformation.
Yeah, you’re probably right. Just saying that both would be fun options. Bizarro Sephiroth had an awesome and under appreciated boss battle theme though. One Winged Angel is amazing and iconic but I thought Bizarro’s theme was great too.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I got a new sig with my most wanted newcomers in Smash 6.

For the sake of fun, this is now your newcomer roster. How do you react?

Pretty happy overall. None of my absolute favorites made the list but there are several characters here I like quite a bit. For a somewhat realistic roster, I’d be cool with this.

My favorites here are Crono, Koraidon, King Boo, Elma, Officer Howard, Isaac and Midna and Skull Kid. I’d be pretty pumped for any of those. The others don’t appeal to me as much but that’s fine and they could still be fun.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Pretty solid. Some characters I don’t care much for but a lot more that I do like, I’d be pleased with this.

The only thing I’d be wondering is WHERE THE **** IS WALUIGI??

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord

This has plenty of Scrimblo to satisfy me, I love all the unique character designs on display here. My favorites have to be Oatchi, King Boo, Bandana Dee, Ashley, and DJ Octavio. I would be very happy if this was the newcomer lineup.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

I'd think it's weird we're getting Elma over a Xenoblade 3 character and sad about no Ogerpon for a little bit, but I'd be cool with the rest, especially Paper Mario, Bandana Dee, and Ashley.

Funny enough, I used to really want King Boo back when I was younger and Luigi's Mansion was just one game on the Gamecube, so it's kinda funny to see King Boo come back full circle now that Luigi's Mansion is a full on series lol

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Pretty solid roster overall! In fact, the layout inspired me to create my own list of 18 newcomers.
Waluigi​
Toad​
Dixie Kong​
Rauru​
Raven Beak​
Bandana Waddle Dee​
Meowscarada​
Alear​
Oatchi​
Tom Nook​
Noah​
Mio​
Octoling​
Officer Howard​
Ring Fit Trainee​
Alucard​
Shadow​
Chun-Li​

What do you guys think?

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace

I’m kind of bummed an XC3 rep got shafted in favour of Elma. Otherwise, a good lineup.
Pretty solid roster overall! In fact, the layout inspired me to create my own list of 18 newcomers.
Waluigi​
Toad​
Dixie Kong​
Rauru​
Raven Beak​
Bandana Waddle Dee​
Meowscarada​
Alear​
Oatchi​
Tom Nook​
Noah​
Mio​
Octoling​
Officer Howard​
Ring Fit Trainee​
Alucard​
Shadow​
Chun-Li​

What do you guys think?
Probably the better lineup here. Pretty much has every major franchise getting something new.

Might as well throw my hat into the ring. Granted, there are some I’m more passionate about than others, but let’s have a look.

Characters with an (e) are echo fighters for existing fighters.
  • Funky Kong for Donkey Kong
  • Alvis for Shulk
  • Pneuma for Mythra (is just added on to them, not a seperate slot)
  • Octoling for Inkling
Characters with a * may be interchangeable with other characters from the same series.
  • Noah for Mio
  • Shadow for Dr. Eggman or Tails
  • Meowscarada for a Gen 10 Pokémon
  • Lyndis for Alear
Paper Mario​
Impa​
Ring Fit Trainee​
Noah*​
Isaac​
DJ Octavio​
Chun-Li​
Shadow*​
Meowscarada*​
Bandana Dee​
Tom Nook​
Lyndis*​
Rayman​
Funky Kong (e)​
Alvis (e)​
Pneuma (e)​
Octoling (e​
Shy Guy (EPB)​

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And no Waluigi, -1/10. :mad088:
Honestly, Waluigi just wasn't included due to space.

Him and Dixie were just barely not included. If and when I update this, they'll probably be on there.

I’m kind of bummed an XC3 rep got shafted in favour of Elma. Otherwise, a good lineup.
I haven't actually played XC3 yet. So I can't honestly say I want them, lol.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
For some reason the talk of fighters being demoted to assist trophies had me imagining a new weapon in the next game that's an Assist Trophy Gun. Basically if successfully fired on a fighter, it does damage & instantly creates an assist trophy version of the character that attacks all the other (non ATG wielding) fighters. It's not really practical given you'd have to put in a lot of work to balance trophy versions of each character, they'd need small visual changes to avoid confusion, and it'd be obviously banned in competitive play, but it is fun to imagine.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Was also updating my Signature

In the process I got carried away and made a list of my 33 most wanted First and Third party characters as well as a list of 11 non-game characters made just for ****s and giggles

So here is a silly thing inspired by Swamp's post, pick one character from each column and that is the set of newcomers for the next game.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
Completely unrelated to any of that how would people feel about ledge hogging and chaingrabs making a return? Matches in competitive ultimate often goes on way too long and I think a lot of that is the fact that it's so easy to make it back to the stage with much of the cast (and basically all of the top tiers). I think it should stay where you can't refresh your invincibilty by re-grabbing the ledge, but a reliable way to stop characters like steve and sonic from making it back would help discourage stalling and running down the clock. Chaingrabs exactly as they were would probably be too punishing, but maybe something in between to allow for more long term tech chases while not making any character larger than mario unviable? Tbh I mostly just want to see Dedede's chaingrab back bc it would be funny.
  • Ledgehogging: I think the ledges have room to improve, but I don't think going back to ledgehogging is the solution. (At least not as the main form of ledges, I'd be cool with it being a Special Smash option). I know it's not always as simple as "grab ledge, they die"... but that's what it often boiled down to, especially for tethers. But I do agree it's too easy to recover on the whole. I feel like that's more a problem with the ridiculous ledge sweetspots + recovery distances, so I'd go after them first.
  • Grabs: I gotta be fr, I have no idea what I'd like to see out of grabs. Brawl-era chaingrabbing was degenerate, but 4's solution of making you ungrabbable for a full second just felt awkward and arbitrary. I'm mulling over it, but right now I think I'd remove the 1 second "no grab" timer and adjust throw angles accordingly to keep chaingrabbing from being Brawl tier (though I don't think chaingrabbing existing at all is inherently bad). I feel like a increased DI angle would mostly solve that problem.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know how characters had songs play during their reveal trailers? What song would play during your most wanted reveal trailer? We Love Burning Town for Shantae for me.
The Apple Juice Song for Bandana Waddle Dee
Mona Pizza for Mona
Stickerbrush Symphony at first, then Bonus Time! (DKC3) (upon the reveal of her tagline) for Dixie Kong
Pilotwings, then Gyrocopter for Lark

I've got other characters, but these 4 are especially sticking out to me...

Waluigi​
Toad​
Dixie Kong​
Rauru​
Raven Beak​
Bandana Waddle Dee​
Meowscarada​
Alear​
Oatchi​
Tom Nook​
Noah​
Mio​
Octoling​
Officer Howard​
Ring Fit Trainee​
Alucard​
Shadow​
Chun-Li​

What do you guys think?
Ngl, YOUR roster is probably my dream roster in terms of things I highly expect. Like, at the very least? I'd personally have absolutely NO complaints!

Huh, not bad! Ngl, I wish Mona was here, but I'm not SO far under a rock to not acknowledge that Ashley is the more popular between the two of them.

In the process I got carried away and made a list of my 33 most wanted First and Third party characters as well as a list of 11 non-game characters made just for ****s and giggles

So here is a silly thing inspired by Swamp's post, pick one character from each column and that is the set of newcomers for the next game.
Wow! Once again, I legit can't say I'd be at all dissatisfied with your roster! Heck, you even added more obscure characters and non-conventional characters (i.e. Lip, Ayumi, Captain Rainbow, Yuka, Takamaru, Sami, Arle, Sakura, Haruka, Don-chan, etc.)!

By the way, how are you all making these rosters? I might take a crack at this...

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Lord
However from my own roster, if any of these many characters come in the next Super Smash Bros. game, that's when I'll change my roster and maybe replace them with others. I also know that some of these characters on this roster are unknown to almost anyone.
1722557755154.png

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Going purely off personal preference......

Estelle
King
Sakura
Sol
Wright
Wesker
Arle
Amaterasu
Yuka
Lip
Midna

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
I'm mulling over it, but right now I think I'd remove the 60 second "no grab" timer and adjust throw angles accordingly to keep chaingrabbing from being Brawl tier (though I don't think chaingrabbing existing at all is inherently bad). I feel like a increased DI angle would mostly solve that problem.
I was thinking something similar - removing the grab timer and allowing for regrabs but making throws very easy to DI out of. So you could grab someone -> they escape and tech the ground or just jump away -> you can re-grab if you read what they do after being thrown. So not true chaingrabs and just grab chains, I guess? :p

You're so right that brawl chaingrabs were awful. The absolute worst though was grab release shenanigans. Poor Lucas ;-;

View attachment 393096

The current discussion got me thinking of what roster of newcomers would be the most broadly appealing across the board to both longtime and new fans of the series. This is what I came up with, sticking to the 18-character limit that Swamp Sensei's roster has.
I think Anna or Lyn are lowkey more likely than Alear for our next FE rep. Engage is a celebration of classic FE so it makes more sense to go with a legacy character that's still popular today rather than just the newest protag. Anna is the series' only recurring character and Lyn is crazy popular in Heroes so either would make sense.

Also ngl I'd be mildly disappointed if we got Sans instead of Frisk or Kris. Sure Sans is iconic and the face of the game but that's mostly due to memes and he only actually fights in the genocide route which is the 'bad' route that permanently screws up your save. I'd prefer him to stay in a side character role if he's in smash. Also either Frisk or Kris would be smash's first non-binary character which would make me very happy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Honestly if I got Chorus Kids I’d be willing to accept just about anything else. Fortunately there are a lot of fantastic picks here.

View attachment 393096

The current discussion got me thinking of what roster of newcomers would be the most broadly appealing across the board to both longtime and new fans of the series. This is what I came up with, sticking to the 18-character limit that Swamp Sensei's roster has.
“Rhythm League” and Sans would have me over the moon excited. Octavio and Anna would get me pretty giddy too. Could not complain one bit at this… although I’d still like to wait and see what Sylux does in Prime 4 before really getting behind that.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’ll go off my own personal preference here too.

Raven Beak
Sami
Noah/Mio
Sol Badguy
Arthas
Wesker
Strongbad
Ameterasu
Nia
Juri Han
Midna

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I find it hard to even narrow down my list to a top 50 most wanted. It feels like I’m always leaving out someone I really want no matter how big I make the list. Even with a huge list like that, I share very few characters with the majority of Smash fans so I’ve come to terms that I probably won’t get any of them this time. I got pretty lucky in Ultimate getting both K. Rool and Sephiroth.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Per column, huh? Let's see... Using the big one since the hypothetical is under that

Euden (I miss Dragalia and want Cleo to get something even if it's just a cameo on the stage or a collectible), Oatchi, Noah and/or Mio, Ayumi for the left field deep cut angle (had to contemplate between her and Don-chan for a while), Ogerpon, Reimu, Ashley, holy **** Susie in Smash Bros I love Planet Robobot, Yuka because Rhythm Heaven, I'm torn between an Undertale character (would love Papyrus) and Ryza, and 2B for a friend of mine on Discord that loves 2B and wanted her in Ultimate lol

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not enough 3P. And a lot of that 1P is meh.

KB's tongue hanging out his box is cute though.

What do you guys think?
Much better overall. But still not enough 3P.

1. Estelle
2. Sami
3. Shadow
4. Sol Badguy
5. Doom Slayer
6. Wesker
7. Shantae
8. Kiryu
9. Dante
10. Juri
11. 2B

Last edited: