• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could get behind King Boo honestly. Unique choice and might just fit the criteria for a newcomer that way. Honestly often forget about him, am not too familiar with the Luigis Mansion games. But he's prominent and relevant, and most of all unique.

Guess this is another reason a Mario newcomer is sort of guaranteed to happen, many solid choices overall.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I spoke well of King Boo not too long ago, but I also think he's a pretty strong choice in his own right. Being the main antagonist of Luigi's Mansion - a series that has gone on three games now and whose latest entry is one of the best selling games on the Switch - alongside having an obvious and compelling gameplay hook (ghost) and unorthodox build has King Boo checking off multiple boxes that could make him a valuable addition that may excite both Nintendo and Sakurai alike. He's not even a stranger to mainline games, most recently appearing in Mario Wonder in a memorable sequence.

Part of me feels like we may have been sleeping on how successful Luigi's Mansion has been lately. Sure, the main guy is already in Smash and theoretically something like Luigi's Mansion is represented just fine through a stage. But if they wanted to continue to expand, I think it would definitely be justified. Any other series dishing out a 13 million unit selling game on Switch would be considered a prime suspect. This one is just muddy because it's still Mario.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Screw it, I'll do a couple more:

The Shinobi for Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Ride The Tiger for Akira (Virtua Fighter)
Let's Go Away for Hornet (Daytona USA)
The Whole New World for Phantasy Star (Online) Character and/or Stage
Message From Nightopia for NiGHTS and NiGHTS And Reala/Theme Of A Tragedic Revenge for Reala
Funk Goes On and Receive You for Kiryu
Chun-Li Stage for…well, Chun-Li
Joe the Hero for Viewtiful Joe
Main Theme ~ Samanosuke's Theme for Samanosuke Akechi (Onimusha)
Theme of Mystical Ninja and I Am Impact for Goemon
Esaka? for Kyo and Stormy Saxophone 2 for Iori

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Imagine wanting good presentation lmao
1722575395441.png

Was also updating my Signature

In the process I got carried away and made a list of my 33 most wanted First and Third party characters as well as a list of 11 non-game characters made just for ****s and giggles

So here is a silly thing inspired by Swamp's post, pick one character from each column and that is the set of newcomers for the next game.
Raven Beak, Saber, Shadow, Sol, Phoenix, Reimu, Vivian, Dame Da Ne Guy, Dante, Sans, Zagreus

Truth the Ceomasterz33

Smash Journeyman
Hello, my fellow members. It has been busy with my family, activities, playing games, May vacations and others. I'll got with donor donations, but falling into ground and wake up. I just can't post in this threads and this sites until returning again.... Some regarding to cannot posting at this threads and sites until returning as Smashboards for late this June's.

I'll might be explain about May-June vacation's. Trying reply but playing games, eating foods, activities, my scheduling and others. Was been affected me.... Until returning as Smashboards. I'm observering at this threads and other threads, i'm back again.

I'll reminds for other fellow members. Some calling names for me. Please calling Truth or Richard or others for me! Please respect in me!
Hello, my fellow members. I got my liked post. Has been thanked you, my fellow members. I'll be Heartwarming and awesomeful moments, my posts! Are been since trying be attempts statements and claifiying to about vacation's and my life but got finally got sucessful and my likes by other fellow members. Thanks you, my fellow members! Be back for this threads. Be hope for my life.

P.S. I maybe be Singaporean or Aussie English accent?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Imagine wanting good presentation lmao
View attachment 393109

Raven Beak, Saber, Shadow, Sol, Phoenix, Reimu, Vivian, Dame Da Ne Guy, Dante, Sans, Zagreus
Timerra, oh how I'd wish! Lance, dark skinned woman for the representation and all, I'd love her in. But not prominent enough am afraid. And if Edelgard is gonna be there, why not Dimitri? Their rivalry is what kinda makes Three Houses, and Byleth mainly uses axe and lance moves so if they'd use those moves and create Edelgard out of the axe moves, they could do the same for Dimitri. Which am for honestly. Would free up Byleth and have them use their own Sword of the Creator more, which would make for a great move set by itself.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Timerra, oh how I'd wish! Lance, dark skinned woman for the representation and all, I'd love her in. But not prominent enough am afraid. And if Edelgard is gonna be there, why not Dimitri? Their rivalry is what kinda makes Three Houses, and Byleth mainly uses axe and lance moves so if they'd use those moves and create Edelgard out of the axe moves, they could do the same for Dimitri. Which am for honestly. Would free up Byleth and have them use their own Sword of the Creator more, which would make for a great move set by itself.
Because it's characters I like and want and I neither like nor want Dimitri.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Looking at other people's rosters made me realize that I would absolutely put Timerra over several of the the characters I did put down, I would also add Kyle Merkulov to that as well while I am thinking of other characters. I might have to rearrange some things.

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
All this talk about king boo just reminds me of how much I actually want a fighting game based solely on the mario franchise. I might make my own roster graphic later since everyone else is now.

In the process I got carried away and made a list of my 33 most wanted First and Third party characters as well as a list of 11 non-game characters made just for ****s and giggles

So here is a silly thing inspired by Swamp's post, pick one character from each column and that is the set of newcomers for the next game.
1. Tiki (If she can replace Corrin as the Manakeet rep, otherwise Gordon)
2. Sami (her neutral special is GUN)
3. Shadow (His gross Doom Wings would be a sick up special)
4. Sol (Bull**** Blazing Smash Remix NOW)
5. Doom Slayer (I am a little sad he isn't called Doom Guy anymore)
6. Reimu (Someone posted Touhou music in this thread and it was a song I can only describe as 'Evil Mariachi'. That is how easy it is to earn my support)
7. Ashley
8. Kiryu
9. Crash (TBH I feel like, 90% of crashes models have been pretty ugly. Smash is somehow able to make Incineroar look cool to me so I need Sakurai to work his magic on Crash plz)
10. Sans (Honestly anyone who got a mii costume instantly become like 80% more likely than anyone else
11. 2B

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we were to get Edelgard, Dimitri, and/or Claude, the devs most certainly would not be able to "create" them from Byleth's leftovers. The moves Byleth has for each are very few seeing as the 20ish moves Byleth has is already split between 4 characters.

Moreover, the moves Byleth does have aren't very fitting for the original characters such as the use of the flat side of the spear, double handing the axe, and telekinetically twirling the bow.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If we were to get Edelgard, Dimitri, and/or Claude, the devs most certainly would not be able to "create" them from Byleth's leftovers. The moves Byleth has for each are very few seeing as the 20 moves Byleth has is already split between 4 characters.
Yeah each one gets like 2-4 moves max since they're all relegated to a direction but the Sword of the Creator is used for all of Byleth's tilts.

So Claude would literally just get Nair and Neutral B, Edelgard gets Down Smash, Down Air, and Down B, and Dimitri gets Forward Smash, Side B, Forward Air, and Back Air. Meaning at max, one of them gets like a fifth of a moveset lol

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I spoke well of King Boo not too long ago, but I also think he's a pretty strong choice in his own right. Being the main antagonist of Luigi's Mansion - a series that has gone on three games now and whose latest entry is one of the best selling games on the Switch - alongside having an obvious and compelling gameplay hook (ghost) and unorthodox build has King Boo checking off multiple boxes that could make him a valuable addition that may excite both Nintendo and Sakurai alike. He's not even a stranger to mainline games, most recently appearing in Mario Wonder in a memorable sequence.

Part of me feels like we may have been sleeping on how successful Luigi's Mansion has been lately. Sure, the main guy is already in Smash and theoretically something like Luigi's Mansion is represented just fine through a stage. But if they wanted to continue to expand, I think it would definitely be justified. Any other series dishing out a 13 million unit selling game on Switch would be considered a prime suspect. This one is just muddy because it's still Mario.
I’d be at least happy to see King Boo as an Assist Trophy or a stage hazard. I could see other picks taking priority as playable characters.

I think we will be getting a Luigi’s Mansion 3 stage to replace the current LM stage that’s been here since Brawl.

Perhaps King Boo could capture fighters in paintings and deal some damage to them, like in LM3.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Perhaps King Boo could capture fighters in paintings and deal some damage to them, like in LM3.
Alternatively, if they did go all the way and make him playable, this could be such a fun grab concept. Slam a framed canvas down and trap your opponent in a painting for the initial grab, deal some damage inside as the pummel and then let the fighter tumble out.

AT would definitely be a satisfying enough role, or a boss, but the more I think on this idea the more excited I am about the prospect of him being playable instead. In general, I think he ought to have a bigger role next game. Could be a stage element too?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Like “Big Boo” from SM64? Where he was just a giant Boo?
Yeah, I always thought that the big Boo on the roof from Super Mario 64 was King Boo. I’m probably way off. Anyways, I think they should give us both the classic and Luigi’s Mansion version of the character as alts if he gets in. Maybe throw in a normal Boo outfit without the crown too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, I always thought that the big Boo on the roof from Super Mario 64 was King Boo. I’m probably way off. Anyways, I think they should give us both the classic and Luigi’s Mansion version of the character as alts if he gets in. Maybe throw in a normal Boo outfit without the crown too.
King Boo essentially just being a floating head does make these kind of alts pretty easy. I feel like this should be the case for Bandana Dee also, an alt without the bandana or a Sailor Dee variant feel like easy options. Unfortunate that Pac-Man can’t take advantage of this kind of versatility but I do think more simplistic fighters should take inspiration from Jigglypuff here.

I want consistency for the :ultkingdedede:
I love Sakurai’s performance as Dedede in Smash, and as a Dedede main I’ve gotten so accustomed to them that it may feel a little odd to switch that up. Wouldn’t be upset with Kumazaki Dedede but I do enjoy the trend of the voice simply being whoever the director is at that point in time. Kumazaki reasonably took over for the main series, but feel like this tradition should be upheld in Smash.

As for voice additions, it’s criminal that Isabelle doesn’t have her animalese yet. I don’t care how annoying it would be.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
At first it started ironically, but now I’m curious to see Shy Guy in Smash Bros. :shyguy:

Maybe he could be the next Piranha Plant.
I’d love more basic enemies in general. My most wanted are a Goomba and Bugzzy. I feel like these kinds of characters can be pretty controversial since I’ve seen a lot of complaints about Piranha Plant but I think they’re fun and have the potential to be some of the most unique fighters on the roster.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
no as he appeared in the original Luigi's Mansion

it's different from how he appears in two and three

Also it makes no sense for him to be the big boo from big boo’s haunt. He was the size of a regular boo when we first met him

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
no as he appeared in the original Luigi's Mansion

it's different from how he appears in two and three

Also it makes no sense for him to be the big boo from big boo’s haunt. He was the size of a regular boo when we first met him
Well you can chalk that up to my never having played a Luigi’s Mansion game. I did suspect I was wrong about that but for some reason my mind always linked the two.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If we were to get Edelgard, Dimitri, and/or Claude, the devs most certainly would not be able to "create" them from Byleth's leftovers. The moves Byleth has for each are very few seeing as the 20ish moves Byleth has is already split between 4 characters.

Moreover, the moves Byleth does have aren't very fitting for the original characters such as the use of the flat side of the spear, double handing the axe, and telekinetically twirling the bow.
Yeah each one gets like 2-4 moves max since they're all relegated to a direction but the Sword of the Creator is used for all of Byleth's tilts.

So Claude would literally just get Nair and Neutral B, Edelgard gets Down Smash, Down Air, and Down B, and Dimitri gets Forward Smash, Side B, Forward Air, and Back Air. Meaning at max, one of them gets like a fifth of a moveset lol
Well of course it wouldn't be enough. Just use those moves as a base style to design further moves on. Quite easy to envision actually how they'd play like. At least to me.

I also take any excuse to have Byleth play like Byleth. If they want a new gimmick, make them use magic or something. Basically make them a better functioning Robin.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Byleth’s Sword of the Creator is unique enough that they could have easily stood out from the other lords moveset wise without needing to go the weapon master route. No one in Smash has a whip sword. As a bonus, it would have made them the perfect base for an Ivy Valentine or Renji Abarai mod. That could still work regardless but it would have been even better.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Byleth’s Sword of the Creator is unique enough that they could have easily stood out from the other lords moveset wise without needing to go the weapon master route. No one in Smash has a whip sword. As a bonus, it would have made them the perfect base for an Ivy Valentine or Renji Abarai mod. That could still work regardless but it would have been even better.
The dislike of Fire Emblem sword characters prevented this from happening. The whining took away probably one of the most unique potential sword characters in the game. Big shame. Byleth could also use a few brawling techniques and magic, they had everything set in stone to be very unique, but they had to be Weapon Triangle ; The Character in order to be legitimate... huge loss.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The dislike of Fire Emblem sword characters prevented this from happening. The whining took away probably one of the most unique potential sword characters in the game. Big shame. Byleth could also use a few brawling techniques and magic, they had everything set in stone to be very unique, but they had to be Weapon Triangle ; The Character in order to be legitimate... huge loss.
I do agree that it would be cool to have more varied weapon representation on the roster but I feel like that should have been done by including characters that specialize in those weapons. I’d have loved Edelgarde or Dimitri in Smash. Changing Byleth into something they aren’t just to do that felt like the wrong direction in my opinion.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I do agree that it would be cool to have more varied weapon representation on the roster but I feel like that should have been done by including characters that specialize in those weapons. I’d have loved Edelgarde or Dimitri in Smash. Changing Byleth into something they aren’t just to do that felt like the wrong direction in my opinion.
dont we have enough homicidal maniacs on the roster?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kinda get it though. This represents Three Houses as a whole with one character, and the different weapon types. It's just extremely forced. But what's done is done.

I don't know who posted it a few days back, the "ideal fan favorite Fire Emblem roster" but it basically was Marth, Ike, Lyn, Chrom, Lucina, Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude. Which is very solid. Especially if Lucina and Chrom would share a move set. That frees up a spot for maybe Byleth with the Sword of the Creator, magic and brawling.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
If 64 DS is any indication, his true form is fought in a hidden mirror room, where he guards the key to Luigi's prison. If I had my way, that'd retroactively make 64 the first canonical appearance of King Boo. Unfortunately, I think 64 DS was retconned... :(

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

1. Euden
  2. Sami
  3. Takamaru
  4. Ayumi
  5. Phoenix
  6. Pauline
  7. Ashley
  8. Amaterasu
  9. Crash
  10. Officer Howard
  11. Midna

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If I were to hazard a guess, King Boo would have his most recent Luigi's Mansion appearance as his default costume, and his non-Luigi's mansion design as his secondary alt, with every other alt alternating designs. Something like:
  1. Purple (Luigi's Mansion 2 & 3)
  2. White (Mario Kart/Sports/Mainline)
  3. Red (Luigi's Mansion)
  4. Indigo (Super Mario World Big Boo)
  5. Emerald (Not a direct reference, but there are green gem collectables in Luigi's Mansio 2 & 3)
  6. Black (Bomb Boo)
  7. Sapphire (Not a direct reference, but there are blue gem collectables in Luigi's Mansio 2 & 3)
  8. Gold (Gold Boo)
Technically, the white design sees more use, but if they were to add him I could easily see Sakurai laser focusing on his appearances in Luigi's Mansion.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
RE: King Boo
This made me think of TKOWL’s moveset once again, and it’s got a pretty neat selection of alts to boot.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

From each column, not row? Okay.

1. Euden
2. Sami
3. Doc Louis
4. Hades
5. Drageaux
6. Pauline
7. Shantae
8. Amaterasu
9. Dr. Coyle
10. Lip
11, Midna