• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know how characters had songs play during their reveal trailers? What song would play during your most wanted reveal trailer? We Love Burning Town for Shantae for me.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Has anyone here played the indie game Sea of Stars? I downloaded the demo the other day and I’m having fun with it so far. It’s an RPG that seemingly takes a lot of inspiration from both Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. The sprite work is really impressive and charming and the animations are great. I’ve only played about 40 minutes so far but I’m considering buying the full game once it goes on sale.

I don’t usually play a lot of indie games so I never really talk about them in the context of Smash but I’m more than open to the idea. I’m curious if we’ll see more indie content in the next game. Even something like a stage could be fun if we don’t get a playable character.
My wife has been playing it for the last month or so and really likes it because of how familiar it all feels.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nothing really. I just want the old Bowser moveset back and Dry Bowser is a cool way to do that. He’s also got blue flames but I think that’s easily something that could be done with an alt.
Problem with the old move set is, it's terrible. Am not against the idea in general of bringing back old move sets / playstyles through new characters. For example, Melee Peach was way more campy and defensive. Daisy could be made more like that. Or N64 Pikachu being a more powerful overall character, use Raichu for that, give it the old aerials for example. Or what about Pit and Dark Pit? Just make Pit more like his Brawl self and keep Dark Pit more or less the same. Just saying thing, not necessarily "for" these ideas or anything (I think Dark Pit and Daisy as Echoes are fine enough and don't warrant more for example).

I just don't think Bowser in Melee and Brawl had a good enough functional move set to bring back. And Dry Bowser is a perfect alternative costume. He's still Bowser after all and works with the same animations.

And I mean he's just functionally bad, as in, he's bad at being a heavy weight due to how his moves link together. Bowser in Melee and Brawl really can't do much at all. He's just functionally bad, the character has serious flaws that will always make him a weak character overall. Same with the current designs of say, Zelda, Little Mac, Lucario and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Problem with the old move set is, it's terrible. Am not against the idea in general of bringing back old move sets / playstyles through new characters. For example, Melee Peach was way more campy and defensive. Daisy could be made more like that. Or N64 Pikachu being a more powerful overall character, use Raichu for that, give it the old aerials for example. Or what about Pit and Dark Pit? Just make Pit more like his Brawl self and keep Dark Pit more or less the same. Just saying thing, not necessarily "for" these ideas or anything (I think Dark Pit and Daisy as Echoes are fine enough and don't warrant more for example).

I just don't think Bowser in Melee and Brawl had a good enough functional move set to bring back. And Dry Bowser is a perfect alternative costume. He's still Bowser after all and works with the same animations.

And I mean he's just functionally bad, as in, he's bad at being a heavy weight due to how his moves link together. Bowser in Melee and Brawl really can't do much at all. He's just functionally bad, the character has serious flaws that will always make him a weak character overall. Same with the current designs of say, Zelda, Little Mac, Lucario and Ganondorf.
I’d imagine all of that can be addressed by buffing him appropriately. I just want the feral animations back like his biting forward special and headbutt forward smash. I’m definitely no competitive expert but I would think you could keep those attack animations and power them up enough that he wouldn’t suck competitively.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’d imagine all of that can be addressed by buffing him appropriately. I just want the feral animations back like his biting forward special and headbutt forward smash. I’m definitely no competitive expert but I would think you could keep those attack animations and power them up enough that he wouldn’t suck competitively.
I wouldn't say it's the animations that buffed him so much as it is everything else, like Tough Guy. You can have the new damage/knockback/frame data values etc. with the old animations.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Or what about Pit and Dark Pit? Just make Pit more like his Brawl self and keep Dark Pit more or less the same.
has PTSD flashbacks of my brother playing Pit in Brawl and spamming Side B when we were younger, the HIYAYAYA audio echoing in my ears

Please don't force me to suffer this way.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We are probably never going to gett E.G.G.M.A.N because it has vocal lyrics with a third party musician but it's be perfect.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
has PTSD flashbacks of my brother playing Pit in Brawl and spamming Side B when we were younger, the HIYAYAYA audio echoing in my ears

lol yeah that was annoying. It’s even worse on custom Stage Builder stages with ice floors where Pit just slides across half the stage dragging you with him. I always found his voice in Brawl to be kind of annoying too which added to it.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice

Dread it... Run From It...

But he HIYAYAYAYAs all the same.

(fun fact, there was this kid in my old neighborhood that loved to pick up sticks and swing them around. Naturally he loved spamming this move lol)

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know how characters had songs play during their reveal trailers? What song would play during your most wanted reveal trailer? We Love Burning Town for Shantae for me.
I have a list of these because i have an active imagination and have visualized in my head what a reveal trailer would look like for 'em.

Shadow the hedgehog:
Radical highway

Kiryu:
Receive you for the cinematic part of the trailer
Funk goes on for the gameplay part of the trailer
Trouble shooting star for the "hype" portion of the gameplay part trailer

Cybuster/Masaki:
Hot winds! Hurricanes! Cybuster! For the first half gameplay
ROCKS for the "Hype" portion of the gameplay

Phoenix Wright:
Court begins for the cinematic part of the trailer.
Objection! 2001 For the first half of the gameplay portion
Pursuit: Cornered for the "Hype" part of the gameplay

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Theme of Lu Bu for Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Honnoji for Nobunaga Oda (Samurai Warriors)
Throw It All Away for Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Go Straight for Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Lock & Load and Devils Never Cry for Dante (Devil May Cry)
Worth Dying For/Raise Thy Sword and In The Name Of Father for Nightmare (SoulCalibur)
Katamari on the Rocks for The Prince of All Cosmos (Katamari)

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sophisticated Fight and Strepitoso Fight for Estelle
You Have a Power Like Mine for Tiki
Sword Of Promised Victory and Turning Seasons for Saber
Geki Teikoku Kagekidan for Sakura
Emblem Engage! and Last Engage (Prayer-Incantation) for Sommie
Carrying The Weight Of Life for Noah/Mio
The Academy and Gym Leader (Terastal) for Gholdengo/Ogerpon
PoPiPo and Catch The Wave for Hatsune Miku
Arthas, My Son for Arthas
OG (Classic) and Chapter 5 Island Theme for Jonesy/The Recruit
Something Secret Steers Us for Gordon Freeman

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'll bite.

If Rygar gets in I'd probably leap out of my chair and cheer while "Sunset" and "Mountain" play (think of how We Will Rock You always leads into We Are The Champions) and Rygar out there slaying with his Diskarmor with Rizz. And yes I want the NES songs

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Waluigi - Waluigi Pinball
Gholdengo - Gym Leader Battle (Terastal version)
Edelgard - Apex of the World
Doc Louis - Fight Theme (Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!)
Mach Rider - Mach Rider Theme, preferably a new remix
Takamaru - The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Medley)
Starfy - A medley that transitions from the Title Theme to the Let's Go Theme
Ashley Robins - Either a vocal or instrumental version of To The Place I Call Home, or if they wanted to be funny, a remix of the Lake Juliet song
Kyle Hyde - Probably On the Rocks for the beginning portion, going into a Violet Sky remix for the gameplay portion
Frogger - Likely a medley of the various Themes from the game
Sans - Megalovania

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Ditto for Shantae.
Kaze yo Tsutaete for Roll.
OPENING - Vampire Chronicle for the CG/For gameplay, a new remix of the Scotland stage for Morrigan.
Opening - Vampire/Darkstalkers for the CG/For gameplay, the Romania stage remix from Darkstalkers Resurrection for Dimitri.
Supporting Me for Shadow.
The Goddess' Fall and Afterglow for Rapi.
This Is True Love Makin' for a double reveal of Mai and Chun Li.
The King of Fighters '98 - Esaka '98 (Arranged) and The King of Fighters '96 - Arashi no Saxophone 2 (Arranged) and Tranquilizer for a double reveal of Kyo and Iori. Esaka goes first for the Kyo reveal, then Arashi for Iori, then they face off to Tranquilizer while showcasing other new KOF elements like the stage, etc.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm trailer music ideas? Do excuse me if I don’t link the music. Can’t be bothered

Toad - Toad’s Theme (Luigi’s mansion)
Toadette - Toadette’s Theme (ttyd)
Captain Toad - Captain Toad Theme
Chibi-Robo - Title Theme (original game)
Tails - Believe in Myself (adventure 2)
Eggman - E.G.G.M.A.N.
Layton - Professor Layton’s Theme
Octoling - Splattack
Bandana Dee - Apple Juice Song
Phoenix Wright - Objection

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
One of the reasons I want an Undertale character is because the music would be perfect in Smash
Even if we don't get a UT/DR character I'm hoping we at least get some more music. Maybe it can get the full series treatment and get a stage and AT too even if there's no associated fighter.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Bad Apple for Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
I know Bad Apple is like the most popular thing to come out of the series, but it's not really related to Reimu at all in terms of its place in the series, since it's the Stage 3 theme of Touhou 4 in the PC-98 era, belonging to Elly.

I'd much rather something like The Ground's Color is Yellow, since it's used in two of the fighting games (Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Antinomy of Common Flowers) as the theme of Hakurei Shrine itself, which I figure would be Reimu's stage, and then Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle as her gameplay track, since it's Reimu's theme in a bunch of games (Imperishable Night, Sunken Fossil World, one of her themes in Immaterial and Missing Power, and Lotus Land Story, where Bad Apple is from).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure who my most wanted is at the moment (it cycles between three or four characters), so I'll post a list of a few different characters.

• Doomguy: At Doom's Gate at the start, Rip and Tear in the second half (when showing off specials, the Final Smash, etc.)
  • Dante: Public Enemy at the start, Devil Trigger (likely instrumental) in the second half
  • Geno: Beware the Forest's Mushrooms at the start, Fight Against an Armed Boss in the second half (went with the remake soundtrack for both)
  • Jeanne (probably my most wanted echo): QTJ (I'm assuming an echo fighter's trailer would be really short, if they'd even get one at all)
  • Impa (seriously, how have we not gotten a new/unique Zelda character in Smash in 20+ years?): Kakariko Village from Hyrule Warriors and Push Forward (I'd prefer Impa from Hyrule Warriors or HW: Age of Calamity, though I'm not sure if they'd have to clear that with Koei-Tecmo first. And speaking of which...)
  • Ryu Hayabusa: Unbreakable Determination and Hunter's Moon (not sure which Dead or Alive music to include, but I feel like some version of Unbreakable Determination NEEDS to be in there)

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Imagine the salt if Dry Bowser is the only Mario newcomer and it's an Echo over Waluigi, Geno, and Toad

Man we're never gonna see the end of that one

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So do you think Xenoblade Chronicles X will ever get a sequel?

Will we ever get past the cliffhanger?

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
So do you think Xenoblade Chronicles X will ever get a sequel?

Will we ever get past the cliffhanger?
Well X was referenced in FR so it seems like Monolith hasn't totally forgotten about it :p I think what's more likely though is a port with a story expansion like future connected. Would make for a good switch 2 launch title to show off those hawt gramfix 🤔

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Imagine the salt if Dry Bowser is the only Mario newcomer and it's an Echo over Waluigi, Geno, and Toad

Man we're never gonna see the end of that one
Honestly, Mario and Pokémon are quite set in my humble opinion. I expect a newcomer purely cause they sorta always happen, being the biggest namesakes in gaming and all, but a break in newcomers is also something I can quite get behind. I just support a few cool characters from these series cause if they happen, I want my choices, but I think series as DKC, Zelda and Kirby take priority over them. By a landslide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom