• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ooh, can I see?
The video I saw:

EDIT: According to the comments, the move set comes from a mod for a previous game in the series, and there Falcon Punch was a chargeable special move, which I'd imagine effectively gives him Giant Punch, which is also quite interesting.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
FF7 looks worse than most N64 games I gotta say. Especially compared to the likes of say, Zelda, DK64 and Banjo.
Probably because those are only N64 games that look decent and DK is pushing it. FF7 ain't the only game. Metal Gear, Mega Man Legends, Crash 1, Tekken 1 etc.

Ngl, N64 graphics aged horribly in comparison despite being more "capable" than PS1. Guess it goes to show power ain't everything

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
30 yo graphics looking 30 years old is not really surprising. 3 year old graphics mimicking 30 year old graphics surprises the heck outta me until I remember why. Because 30 years ago games managed to be good AND impressive looking (you can't tell 17 yo me that Mortal Kombat wasn't amazing to behold compared to Space Invaders.) So now those kids are adults and making today's games with those memories fondly in place and a steam liner instead of a row boat in terms of game making hardware/software.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Probably because those are only N64 games that look decent
And Perfect Dark...and Star Wars Rogue Squadron...and World Driver Championship.

That said FFVII is probably the worst of the popular PS1 games to use to compare another system's graphics with, since the models were A. extremely amateur compared to 8 and 9's models and B. meant for the N64 as well

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Gotta bring up Wave Race 64. Even though it was going for a more realistic look at the time, you can still see how it uses color to carve out a visual identity. Plus, you know, water physics and all still being very impressive for the time.

Anyway with most of these older games, you really have to play them even if you're just judging the graphics. Once you get a feel for the game and the way the graphics work in conjunction with that gameplay, how they work in their intended contexts, they tend to look better even if you later go back to judge the graphics separately.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s crazy how fast we moved past Final Fantasy VII’s models, even within the same console generation with VIII and especially IX. You could argue that Final Fantasy X’s in game models looked better than Final Fantasy VII’s cutscene models. I do still miss the anime artstyle the original VII had though. I never cared for Advent Children’s or Remake’s style as much. Still cool to see the characters in a realistic style but they aren’t my favorite versions of them.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Probably because those are only N64 games that look decent and DK is pushing it. FF7 ain't the only game. Metal Gear, Mega Man Legends, Crash 1, Tekken 1 etc.

Ngl, N64 graphics aged horribly in comparison despite being more "capable" than PS1. Guess it goes to show power ain't everything
The N64 didn't use its power just for graphics. A game like Mario 64 would have been unthinkable on the PS1, let alone Ocarina of Time.

A game like Crash could afford to have some more detail since the levels are short and linear and the camera is fixed. N64 platformers on the other hand had you move freely in open, sprawling environments with complex physics. That requires a lot more out of the console, and even then Banjo and DK look better than Crash anyways.
Even F-Zero X would have been impossible on the PS1. That game is 60 FPS.

The N64 was definitely more capable than the PS1.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The N64 didn't use its power just for graphics. A game like Mario 64 would have been unthinkable on the PS1, let alone Ocarina of Time.

A game like Crash could afford to have some more detail since the levels are short and linear and the camera is fixed. N64 platformers on the other hand had you move freely in open, sprawling environments with complex physics. That requires a lot more out of the console, and even then Banjo and DK look better than Crash anyways.
Even F-Zero X would have been impossible on the PS1. That game is 60 FPS.

There were some games that were a lot more open and traversable on the PS1 like Soul Reaver and Tomb Raider but those are typically the ones that had the moving wall texture issues. They also still weren’t on the same level as Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Banjo-Kazooie in terms of openness.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I had both systems but a much bigger Sony library and only had GoldenEye lol
I had both as well but I was a bigger Nintendo fan.

For PlayStation, I mostly had WWF games (Attitude, Warzone, and Smackdown) Soul Reaver, and Need For Speed until towards the end when I just started getting into JRPGS when I bought Chrono Cross. I got into the PS1 FF games and RPG Maker after playing FFX on the PS2. I actually first played FFVI, FFIV, and Chrono Trigger via their PS1 ports after playing FFVII-IX when I was really starting to get into the genre.

For N64, I had Super Mario 64, Yoshi’s Story, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, StarFox 64, F-Zero X, No Mercy, WCW vs NWO Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000, Ocarina of Time, Smash Bros., and Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Turok 2, Shadows of the Empire, Duke Nukem 64 and probably something else I’m forgetting right now.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I've been a Nintendo/PC player for MOST of my life. Though I dipped out of Nintendo consoles during the motion control era. Though I stuck with Nintendo handhelds the entire time.

So I was like, Atari>NES>SNES>N64>GC>XB360>Switch

And also, GBC>GBA>DS>3DS>Switch

And during most of that time, I also had a modern PC.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've been a Nintendo/PC player for MOST of my life. Though I dipped out of Nintendo consoles during the motion control era. Though I stuck with Nintendo handhelds the entire time.

So I was like, Atari>NES>SNES>N64>GC>XB360>Switch

And also, GBC>GBA>DS>3DS>Switch

And during most of that time, I also had a modern PC.
Yeah, I’ve been a primary Nintendo fan since the NES and had PlayStation as a secondary console up until this generation. I think at this point, I’m likely to skip out on buying either PS5 or X-Box and just stick with the Switch. I own a pretty decent gaming PC but I’ve never been much of a PC gamer mostly because I prefer to play on a comfortable reclining chair on my TV than a desk chair. That and my brother is always using the computer so I never really get much a chance to play games on it. Almost all of my posts here are from my phone.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
There were some games that were a lot more open and traversable on the PS1 like Soul Reaver and Tomb Raider but those are typically the ones that had the moving wall texture issues. They also still weren’t on the same level as Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Banjo-Kazooie in terms of openness.
Spyro and Medievil were also pretty open, but yeah none of those games had the scope of the stuff you'd play on N64.
To be fair it's also true that the PS1 could do some things the N64 couldn't: the console had more memory, so they got to use CGI cutscenes, voice acting and pre-rendered backgrounds a lot more. OoT could never exist on the PS1, but FF7 also couldn't have existed on the N64. They were two consoles with very different philosophies that offered very different experiences... Nowadays that's not really a thing anymore. Consoles have more or less the same capabilities. Maybe that's why console wars don't seem as felt as they did back then?

Anyways, I liked the PS1. I played the Crash games, FF7 and 8, the Medievils, Dragon Valor, Oddworld (my favorite on the console in terms of graphics), Legend of Dragoon, Pac-man World and a bunch of crappy and less crappy licensed games. I also have a lot of nostalgia for it because I always played PS1 games with my three cousins or with friends. Legend of Dragoon was a formative experience! We never finished it though.
But yeah I liked the Nintendo 64 better, by far. Mario, Zelda and Banjo felt so much smoother and grander than anything on Playstation. 4 people multiplayer as kids with Mario Kart and Mario Party was hysterical. Then of course, there was Smash.
PS1 games were maybe stronger in presentation most of the times but even as a kid I felt like Nintendo had way crazier and more ambitious gameplay ideas. How do you come up with something like Smash?

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I just got a thought! I wonder how many of the poeple who want/ Dont want Him are familiar with Sans!
Because i played undertale and i only include him in rosters for others sake!

I mean Come on The Humans Spare/ fight Mechnaic would be so friggin cool!
And 90% of what people want from sans is either Genocide exclusive or straight up fanon! Like his eye being
a. Just Blue
and b. being used for anything that isnt telekinisis!

Also Its canonical that sans wouldnt fight in smash and that he gave his costume to a mii to dodge the fight for me Mii Gunner sans is 100% the Best representation for Sans in a fighter role!
Leave the fighting to the fun gang, the human, flowey or heck papyrus!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just thought of a way Divine Pulse could be unique if Byleth had it in Smash: as Byleth's take on Roman canceling.

Pressing B + down at any point would set a marker around Byleth. Pressing B + down again would cancel directly back into the action that was canceled before.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sorry why are we having a debate over which 90s console had the better graphics? I can’t remember how this got started
I think it started with everyone sharing their first video game experience and I brought up how it’s harder for me to go back to playing NES games these days and SNES still holds up in my opinion. Then I said I feel SNES aged better than N64 graphically and it kind of spun off from there. My bad lol.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
That said FFVII is probably the worst of the popular PS1 games to use to compare another system's graphics with, since the models were A. extremely amateur compared to 8 and 9's models and B. meant for the N64 as well
Even FF7 still look easier on the eyes than most N64 games especially like Mario 64

And games like FF7 and Metal Gear Solid would crash on N64 due to horrid storage space and memory. Again, Power wasn't everything.

True, didn't mean jack in the end.

Look, i don't want to sound harsh but N64 in hindsight was lacking in so many areas. If you weren't a Nintendo/Rare Die-hard, there was absolutely nothing. Isn't a stretch to say it was easily the worst 5th Generation system even compared to the Saturn.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, I think both N64 and PSX were very hit and miss graphically unless the game was 2D. Games in that category on both systems have aged tremendous well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Look, i don't want to sound harsh but N64 in hindsight was lacking in so many areas. If you weren't a Nintendo/Rare Die-hard, there was absolutely nothing. Isn't a stretch to say it was easily the worst 5th Generation system even compared to the Saturn.
actually it is. cause bests and worsts come down to subjective view points. after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what's better in your eyes may not be so in others

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just thought of a way Divine Pulse could be unique if Byleth had it in Smash: as Byleth's take on Roman canceling.

Pressing B + down at any point would set a marker around Byleth. Pressing B + down again would cancel directly back into the action that was canceled before.
Or we do it the simple way, just make Divine Pulse another Counter.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I can see why people tend to gravitate to picking a more cartoony character, but I feel like Smash has gone far enough that a more human character wouldn't be less fitting at this point. I would say if you were to judge based on "which character fits the vibe the best", Aloy is the best pick. She gels very well with Link and a lot of the fantasy cast, she's from a T-rated game and uses interesting weapons that fit into Smash, she's already been in other crossovers with similar eccentric casts, and she's a fairly iconic character who's very important to Sony and fits the style of a lot of modern SIE games. I would say in terms of likeliness if a Sony rep were to ever happen, which is obviously a small chance, it would probably be Kratos first and then her.

Just anecdotally speaking, I see a weird amount of requests for Aloy from less super hardcore fans. Just like "yeah Smash still has a lot of good characters they could add, Aloy would be cool". It sorta makes sense anyways
Aloy on Nintendo console REAL. It's over.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Fitting Horizon's previous history of strong releases being overshadowed by other fantasy-oriented games, Aloy's reveal trailer will be eclipsed in the news by the Baldur's Gate 3 avatar character being announced for Smash 6.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Both N64 and PlayStation have their graphical problems, I never had issues with graphics compared to most people. I mean, I can still watch black and white movies compared to most people too.
But the reason I come back to N64 more than Playstation is that I found N64 to have more replayable games compared to PlayStation. There are games on PlayStation I like to replay, but a lot of others, not so much due to some very notable issues(which can be from Levels becoming worse in the later half, alot of content that can be permanently missed, very difficult games to 100% complete or trouble with games with multiple discs) whereas with the N64, I found alot more I was willing and ready to replay because they had fewer issues and next to no notable issues.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I think a Sony character eventually getting in would be cool, though I’d prefer a cartoonier character get in after Kratos, if only for the contrast/differentiation. Not saying Aloy is like Kratos, mind you, and this is just personal preference. Parappa is probably my most wanted PlayStation character, but he is (relatively) obscure at this point.

Ivander

Smash Legend
When your most wanted Sony character is a character most, including the Japanese, would be a-okay with next to no issues.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I actually wonder if Sony might begin porting some of their back catalogue to the Switch 2. Based on how they operate I think it would make sense if they chose to give like, Horizon Zero Dawn and God Of War 2018 Switch ports, in the same way they handled PC ports.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My problem with the idea of a Sony character in Smash is I would want a Sony Japan character and it would never be a Sony Japan character
I really want Zegram from Rogue Galaxy, who’s owned by Sony and created by Level 5. I did really enjoy the first Horizon on PS4 so Aloy would be cool too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FFVII honestly was not a very good game graphical-wise. It was very early on, and it shows. And honestly, I can barely stand looking at it compared to some N64 games(except those which are actually really bad graphical-wise). That said, FFVII shined in areas other than that. It has great gameplay(bar a few mini-games), a great story, etc.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be able to see the direct live instead of watching it later. XD

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With all the drama surrounding Sony's PC ports I don't know if Nintendo would want to have any of their games on their systems.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
With all the drama surrounding Sony's PC ports I don't know if Nintendo would want to have any of their games on their systems.
Nintendo just bought the studio responsible for the Switch port of Mortal Kombat 1.

Top Bottom