• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I feel like Takamaru would be a great addition if it goes in conjunction with Nintendo deciding to more meaningfully utilize the character outside Smash again. And he really could fill a niche in the action genre that Nintendo doesn't have much of currently. As it stands, he's just one in a pile of potential NES-based reps and not a clear favorite even in that category, although perhaps one of his primary advantages is that he is much easier to translate into a Smash moveset than those contemporaries.

And no, it's not really surprising that Smash fans know about him, given his AT appearance in Smash itself and accompanying Sakurai acknowledgment, the 3DS re-release, other minor appearances in SW3 and Nintendo Land, and Smash fans' constant scrounging for potential "NES retro" Ice Climber successors.
I have an idea for a reboot if Sakurai wants him to the next Smash. Get FromSoftware to develop the game. Boom. Done.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Re: Takamaru and more obscure character discourse

I like Takamaru, still want him to be playable someday.

I do also agree that it's unfortunate that people are less willing to entertain more obscure/lower profile first party picks (or first parties in general in some extreme cases.) When I played Smash for the first time I didn't/barely even knew who Mario was, and Smash overall was one of the video games that got me into, well, video games.

By nature of being a crossover it's understandable that people look forward to seeing their favorite characters make it in, but for me, a big part of getting into any game with a large cast of characters is actually learning who those characters are.
Story of my life. Literally the only video game characters I knew of PRIOR to playing Smash 64 (which, btw, was the first video game I'd EVER played) were the Gen. 1 Pokémon, as well as Kirby and (most of) his supporting cast, and even THAT was because I watched their respective animes first.

For the record, I only had the VAGUEST knowledge of Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and D.K. (and Princess Peach and Bowser). Everyone else in Smash 64 was a literal 'who???' to me.

Is there any "lesser requested" characters that you think would make a great addition to Smash?
Well...

Lark (or any Pilotwings character for that matter)
A Wave Race character (preferably Ryota Hayami)
A 1080° character (preferably Akari Hayami, Kensuke Kimachi, or Ricky Winterborn)
A Nintendo LABO character
A character from Nintendo's pre-Game & Watch days
Solar Striker
Monita
A Rhythm Heaven character (preferably Yuka)
Dr. Lobe
Dr. Kawashima
Dr. Wright
Vince
Kyle Hyde
Ashley Mizuki Robbins
Raymond Bryce
Tethu
Qbby
Eddy (Fluidity)
Nikki
Tamagon
Barbara the Bat
Mallo
Prince Sable
Dillon
Mach Rider
F-Type
Kageshina Kurabe
Excitebiker
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Bubbles
Ayumi Tachibana
DeMille
Kururin
Chibi-Robo
Hakkun
The Marvelous trio (Dion, Max, and Jack)
Sheriff
Starfy
Muddy Mole
A sports character (the Volleyball Girl, the Ice Hockey team, or even the Sportsmates)
Ouendan and/or Elite Beat Agents (w/ their female counterparts)
Mr. Stevenson
Isaac
Alexandra Roivas
Jasmine Callsign (from Jet Impulse)
Hiro and/or Satoru (from Card Hero)
Sato Amatsubo (from Project H.A.C.K.E.R.)
Goku and Chao
Donbe and Hikari
Lip
A Style Savvy character
A Hanafuda character
Mini-Kangaroo (w/ various Nintendo toys from back in the day)
Ando Kensaku
Arcade Bunny
Grace and Savannah (from Tokyo Crash Mobs)
Looksley
Takamaru
Spotto
A Cubivore character
Doshin/Jashin
Cupid
Aisya
Diskun
Parabo and Satebo
Sakura Samurai
Trax
Monita
Harry (Teleroboxer)
Icarus (Glory of Heracles)
Frey and Freya
A Nintendo Wars character (preferably Andy)
Sukapon
Wonder-Red
A Magical Vacation/Starsign character
Zael
Aeron
A Baiten Kaitos character
An Odama character
A Fossil Fighters character
A Kurikin character
Mike Jones
Michael Anderson
Fighter Hayabusa
Takamaru
Ray (Custom Robo)
Jonathan Raimi
Captain Rainbow
Saki Amamiya
Orville (Takt of Magic)
Jill
Tempo
Welt
Warrior Mech Gauss
Pockle
Henry Fleming
Professor Hector (w/ Professor Vector as an 'Alph-type' alt. skin)
A Yakuman character

I'm still reminded of when someone asked Kamiya what game he wanted to make like a decade ago and he said he wanted to make a new Mysterious Murasame Castle game. Maybe if Nintendo wants their own version of Sekiro or Nioh lol.

Interestingly, Murasame Castle has kind of an honour in gaming history in that it has probably the first live action adaptation of a videogame ever. This is incredibly obscure but it's really interesting, it's an hour long special that aired on Japanese TV only once in 1986.

Takamaru is played by Masaki Kyomoto, who's starred in a fair few toku series as well. He looks pretty sick in the outfit. The entire special was found and archived recently, you can watch it here.
Really hoping someone subs this one day. I watched this and... I kind of enjoyed what I saw.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Is there any "lesser requested" characters that you think would make a great addition to Smash? Regardless how likeley or unlikely they are, they can be either Nintendo or 3rdparty.
For me it would be:

Beat from Jet Set Radio: A niche game, but i think this character would have such a unique moveset, since Beat is always rolling with his roller skates, he could also use paint sprays as weapons as well.

Sakuna from Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin: Not sure if it counts as niche, but Sakuna would make a very interesting moveset and also bring decent music and stages along.

Demille from Tomato Adventure: Is very obscure, but his moveset could be very unique, he has a lot of gadgets called gimmicks including a yo-yo one, he would also bring very unique stages as well.
In terms of less-requested... Yuka from Rhythm Heaven comes to mind

Ivander

Smash Legend
Is there any "lesser requested" characters that you think would make a great addition to Smash?
The Ray series from Custom Robo. Easily one of my favorite games on the Gamecube and great designs for the Robos, weapons and Stages all-around. Man, I really hope Custom Robo gets the revival treatment soon at the rate we've been getting Nintendo franchise revivals lately.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Is there any "lesser requested" characters that you think would make a great addition to Smash? Regardless how likeley or unlikely they are, they can be either Nintendo or 3rdparty.
If we're just talking lesser requested characters that we'd like to see, that's probably most of mine since I'm firmly in longshot territory that would require a lot to even be feasible I think, but in the back of my mind and deep in my heart I think I'll always hope for a Rhythm Heaven character, a Fossil Fighters character, and Starfy lol

Considering Rhythm Heaven Megamix came out 9 years ago, Fossil Fighters Frontiers came out 10 years ago, and The Legendary Starfy came out 15 years ago, there's not much hope for them, but man, I had a lot of fun with those games (though Fossil Fighters Champions is obviously waaaay better than Frontiers).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Crackpot Smash Ideas: Pink Gold Peach is added as an Echo Fighter for Peach. She's a little bit heavier, is a fast faller, can't float, and Turnip is replaced with a move called Item Box. Item Box throws an Item Box straight forward. This is an item projectile that deals a bit of damage on hit, and grants the user a random item when picked up by a player. Potential items include:
  • Banana
  • Bullet Bill
  • Lightning
  • Star
  • Chain Chomp (summoned when you pick up the Item Box)
  • Blue Shell
  • Green Shell
  • Red Shell (Green Shell, but it turns at the ledge)
  • Fake Item Box (An Item Box that explodes on impact, dealing a bit more damage. Careful not to mistake it for a real one!)
  • Heart (Two hearts rotate around you. They block one projectile each, and if the projectile was an item and you're not holding one, you get the item)
  • Bowser Shell (A bowser sized shell that moves slowly, but has a multi-hit hitbox)
  • Super Leaf
  • Super Horn (Can be thrown with the grab button, or used with the attack button, dealing decent damage to all opponents right next to you)
  • Bob-omb
  • Boo (Turns you invisible)
  • Boomerang
  • Golden Mushroom (Makes you ridiculously fast to the point of barely being controllable)
  • POW Block
  • Fire Flower
  • Storm Cloud (A Sticky Bomb that's placed on you. Before the lightning strikes, your speed increases)
  • Lucky 7 (A bunch of items circle around you, causing chaos)
  • Blooper (A Blooper appears right next to your opponents, and sprays them with ink, acting like Inkling's ink mechanic)
Just like in Mario Kart, the items you get from an Item Box vary depending on whether or not you're in the lead, and how far you are in the lead, or how badly you're losing. For example, the player in first place often gets the super broken Banana item, while players in last place can get the Storm Cloud so they fall behind even more! But watch out! Because you throw your Item Boxes at your opponents, they can catch them right out of the air, stealing them from you before you even get a chance to open them.

You can tell metal Pink Gold Peach and metal Peach apart because Pink Gold Peach has her hair in a stylish ponytail! As for her alternate costumes, we've introduced 7 new characters:
  1. Pink Gold Peach (Default)
  2. Blue Gold Peach
  3. Yellow Gold Peach
  4. Green Gold Peach
  5. Purple Gold Peach
  6. White Gold Peach
  7. Black Gold Peach
  8. Fool's Gold Peach

OK I'll go to bed now...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For me it would be:

Beat from Jet Set Radio: A niche game, but i think this character would have such a unique moveset, since Beat is always rolling with his roller skates, he could also use paint sprays as weapons as well.

Sakuna from Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin: Not sure if it counts as niche, but Sakuna would make a very interesting moveset and also bring decent music and stages along.

Demille from Tomato Adventure: Is very obscure, but his moveset could be very unique, he has a lot of gadgets called gimmicks including a yo-yo one, he would also bring very unique stages as well.
Chai from Hi-Fi Rush isn't exactly niche, but he's not someone you see requested for Smash much especially since Microsoft shot the series down before it could get a sequel. Running around with his guitar and magnetic powers would be extremely fun. Don't think every fighter needs a gimmick, but he easily could have a rhythm mechanic (Though that might get a bit tricky online). And he'd most likely be able to call in his friends, too.

Kril from Another Crab's Treasure is certainly more on the niche side. His game sold hundreds or thousands of copies, but it didn't hit, like, Undertale or Hades levels of smash success. Wouldn't say he's at all likely. Still, it's an extremely fun game, and Kril has a lot to potentially work with. He's got his little fork as his sword analogue, and his game's main crux is that instead of a single set of armor, you have to run around and put on different shells lying around. Each shell has a Shell Spell, and he can also stab his fork into the makeshift shells to make it into a hammer. He picks up a couple of inherent spells throighout the game too, like summoning a tentacle to attack with him or shooting bubbles like a pistol shrimp. Oh yeah, and also a grappling hook, because of course.

Another Crab's Treasure is also a soulslike, mind you. With crabs. Because yes

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Story of my life. Literally the only video game characters I knew of PRIOR to playing Smash 64 (which, btw, was the first video game I'd EVER played) were the Gen. 1 Pokémon, as well as Kirby and (most of) his supporting cast, and even THAT was because I watched their respective animes first.

For the record, I only had the VAGUEST knowledge of Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and D.K. (and Princess Peach and Bowser). Everyone else in Smash 64 was a literal 'who???' to me.
Very similar boat for me actually. First game I ever "played" was :ultpacman: on a proper cabinet at a laundromat with my dad. As in I actually watched him play as he guided my hand on the stick.

Melee was the first game I actually played but only for a few minutes as I was content to just watch since I didn't really know how to play. I was familiar with Pokémon due to the anime, and I'd seen Mario 64 being played at a friend's house.

Brawl was my actual, proper first Smash game and the first* (aside from Wii Sports) game I had for the Wii, which was also my first console. (Played a lot of my sister's PS2 prior to that though.)

So aside from the very brief moment with Melee, Brawl was my first introduction to the vast majority of Nintendo's library. Learning who all the characters were and then actually getting into their series later down the line was one of my favorite parts of the experience, not just for Smash Bros. but for video games as my hobby in general.

While I'm sure there are plenty of others who went on to have similar experiences with Smash 4 and now Ultimate, I do think it's pretty unfortunate that so many people (at least a lot of the really vocal ones who participate in Smash discourse online) seem to be averse to actually discovering/learning about characters/series that are unfamiliar to them. I know it's likely a vocal minority too, but the focus seems to be almost solely on the biggest names possible now with smaller series having been all but abandoned outside of a few diehard supporters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The first game I ever remember playing was at my neighbor’s house on their old Atari system. It was a tank game where the tanks were basically just squares with a little rectangle coming out for the cannons. I think one tank was white and one was black and you maneuvered around a top down looking maze to shoot at the other tanks. Kind of like a primitive Super Mario Kart battle mode. I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that game but I loved it as a little kid. Maybe DarthEnderX can help me out with that one lol. They also had a Popeye game I remember playing.

The first game I ever owned was a three pack of Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Track. That was a lot of fun too and it started me getting into gaming. I think we got Top Gun on the NES at the same time but I could never figure out how to fuel the plane or land. I had a few other NES games early on too like Adventure Island, Contra, Super C, Sesame Street, Dragon Power, and more. Since I got into Nintendo since the NES, I was familiar with almost all the characters in Smash but the few I haven’t been were fun surprises and got me into other games.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I'm still playing through Red Dead Redemption and yeah I kinda want to see John Marston in Smash.
There's a lot you could do with him. He's o e of the few realistic characters with a workable up B thanks to his lasso, and he could have 360° aiming with his revolver. Maybe add a mechanic that changes damage, knockback and hitstun depending on which body part you shoot: legs have the most hitstun, head the most knockback, chest the mlst damags. Dead Eye could just be a counter with the exception that even if you slow down a projectile, you slow down time and shoot the attacker, making it the only counter that can hit people from afar. Give throwable dynamite that raises dust it it explodes on the ground, creating situations where your opponent doesn't know what you're gonna do or viceversa if you're not careful.
Maybe you could also go crazy and make him use his carbine for side and up smash? You could press A again to make him shoot again, kinda like Link, but by tilting the stick you could alter the direction of each shot. But maybe you'd need to recharge once every X hits, forcing you to keep in mind how many shots you have left in your barrel.
Hand to hand combat would be awesome, this dude brawls like a drunk cowboy. He pushes you, punches and kicks, grabs you by your collar and throws you to the ground. Plus his voice is so funny and he has a ton of funny one liners and insults to use in battle.
Stage and music would be awesome as well.

I know this isn't the kind of character that usually appears in Smash, but what can you do.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm still playing through Red Dead Redemption and yeah I kinda want to see John Marston in Smash.
There's a lot you could do with him. He's o e of the few realistic characters with a workable up B thanks to his lasso, and he could have 360° aiming with his revolver. Maybe add a mechanic that changes damage, knockback and hitstun depending on which body part you shoot: legs have the most hitstun, head the most knockback, chest the mlst damags. Dead Eye could just be a counter with the exception that even if you slow down a projectile, you slow down time and shoot the attacker, making it the only counter that can hit people from afar. Give throwable dynamite that raises dust it it explodes on the ground, creating situations where your opponent doesn't know what you're gonna do or viceversa if you're not careful.
Maybe you could also go crazy and make him use his carbine for side and up smash? You could press A again to make him shoot again, kinda like Link, but by tilting the stick you could alter the direction of each shot. But maybe you'd need to recharge once every X hits, forcing you to keep in mind how many shots you have left in your barrel.
Hand to hand combat would be awesome, this dude brawls like a drunk cowboy. He pushes you, punches and kicks, grabs you by your collar and throws you to the ground. Plus his voice is so funny and he has a ton of funny one liners and insults to use in battle.
Stage and music would be awesome as well.

I know this isn't the kind of character that usually appears in Smash, but what can you do.
I tend to prefer games with more stylized character designs and art styles but John Marston could be a really unique Smash character so I’d be down. We don’t have a cowboy character in Smash yet and he seems to have a lot of moveset potential from what you described, which is always a plus. The only other cowboy I can think of that could have a realistic chance is Dillon from Dillon’s Rolling Western.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The first game I ever remember playing was at my neighbor’s house on their old Atari system. It was a tank game where the tanks were basically just squares with a little rectangle coming out for the cannons. I think one tank was white and one was black and you maneuvered around a top downs looking maze to shoot at the other tanks. Kind of like a primitive Super Mario Kart battle mode. I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that game but I loved it as a little kid. Maybe DarthEnderX can help me out with that one lol. They also had a Popeye game I remember playing.

The first game I ever owned was a three pack of Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Track. That was a lot of fun too and it started me getting into gaming. I think we got Top Gun on the NES at the same time but I could never figure out how to fuel the plane or land. I had a few other NES games early on too like Adventure Island, Contra, Super C, Sesame Street, Dragon Power, and more. Since I got into Nintendo since the NES, I was familiar with almost all the characters in Smash but the few I haven’t been were fun surprises and got me into other games.
My first gaming experience as well! Summer of 82 at my best friends playing Combat

download (7).png

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I can think of a few:

Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Nobunaga Oda (Samurai Warriors)
Scorpion and/or Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Mike Haggar (Final Fight)
Strider Hiryu
Axel Stone and/or Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
NiGHTS (w/ Reala Echo)
A Phantasy Star rep
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia), but anyone else from that series can work tho.
And possibly Senran Kagura, but that's way more risque for Smash lol

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can think of a few:

Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Strider Hiryu
NiGHTS (w/ Reala Echo)
A Phantasy Star rep
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
Those are some good picks. I’d love to see Lu Bu, Nobunaga, Scorpion, or Sub-Zero. Others like Blaze and Strider aren’t on my personal lists but would still make for awesome Smash characters.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For me it would be:

Phantasy Star Online characters
Temjin (Virtual-ON)
Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone)
Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
Magician (House of the Dead)
Selvaria (Valkyria Chronicles)
Valkyrie (Legend of Valkyrie)
Don-chan (Taiko no Tatsujin)
Shiori Fujisaki (Tokimeki Memorial)
Mimi/Nyami (pop 'n music)
A lot of second-tier Square Enix stuff, think SaGa, Mana, Xenogears, Tactics Ogre, stuff like that
Manjimaru (Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden)
Reco (Mushihime-sama)
Marion (Gunbird)
Shiren the Wanderer

These are some of the more niche pulls I'd be interested in seeing

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
I'm still reminded of when someone asked Kamiya what game he wanted to make like a decade ago and he said he wanted to make a new Mysterious Murasame Castle game. Maybe if Nintendo wants their own version of Sekiro or Nioh lol.
Instead of Kamiya, I would like Suda51 to revive The Mysterious Murasame Castle because he worked on the original game and also showed interest in making a new installment.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

My first Smash Bros. game was Brawl, i was a Playstation 2 kid so i didn't have a GameCube growing up, my first nintenedo console was the DS around like early 2006 when i was nearly 9.
The only games i played prior Brawl from the roster where Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and some Pokemon spin-offs, Mario Kart DS, Phantom Hourglass (but i didn't finish it), and Sonic Heroes.
So most of the cast where basically "who?" for me i legit neverd heard of series like Kirby, Metroid, StarFox, Pikmin or EarthBound before botting up the Brawl disc lol, Brawl was basically how i learned about Nintendo.

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
For me it would be:

-Tingle with a rupee counter mechanic

-Mametchi with a pet care mechanic

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk: Room 215)
Beatrice (Umineko: When They Cry)
Ruby Heart (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
Bulborb (Pikmin Series)
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
Malenia, Blade of Miquella (Elden Ring)
Djeeta (Granblue Fantasy)

These are not necessarily characters within my most wanted list but characters I think would be really, really cool regardless. There's a few like Kyle Hyde and Beatrice who are within my most wanteds because I'd love to see how Sakurai utilizes them but they have unique downsides within their own right. I'm surprised that Ruby Heart isn't very requested because she's incredibly cool and comes from one of the most beloved fighting games of all time and Bulborb is just cute. I think they could make a really silly and fun moveset out of a Bulborb and it's arguably the second or third most piece of Pikmin iconography behind Olimar and the Pikmin species themselves

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I could see her joining if begin in a Nintendo console is not a requiriment tbh.
I think a Dark Souls rep is more likely than a Elden Ring rep, but i guess the later could be a Joker-like pick to hype up people to buy the Fighter Pass, since Elden Ring is probably the biggest game of the 2020s (so far), i think it's not completely impossible it gets picked over Dark Souls.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk: Room 215)
Beatrice (Umineko: When They Cry)
Ruby Heart (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
Bulborb (Pikmin Series)
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
Djeeta (Granblue Fantasy)

These are not necessarily characters within my most wanted list but characters I think would be really, really cool regardless. There's a few like Kyle Hyde and Beatrice who are within my most wanteds because I'd love to see how Sakurai utilizes them but they have unique downsides within their own right. I'm surprised that Ruby Heart isn't very requested because she's incredibly cool and comes from one of the most beloved fighting games of all time and Bulborb is just cute. I think they could make a really silly and fun moveset out of a Bulborb and it's arguably the second or third most piece of Pikmin iconography behind Olimar and the Pikmin species themselves
Awesome to see another Velvet Crowe supporter. I thought she was an awesome character and would make for a really fun and unique Smash fighter. She was actually at the top of my list for a Tales rep and in my top 10 overall until Arise came out and I like Shionne even more. Both characters are great and I’d gladly take either one of them (although Shionne is likely a tag duo with Alphen given the lore and mechanics of Arise).

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I can think of a few:

Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Strider Hiryu
NiGHTS (w/ Reala Echo)
A Phantasy Star rep
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
Oh, I forgot.

Jago and/or Fulgore (Killer Instinct)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sure grandma, let's get you to bed
Nah, I don't have Children(for them to have Children), so I can't be a Grandma. An Aunt, however~

But yeah, it was fun playing some games from such an early age. To see how bad they could get from the start, but still appreciate the gameplay for what it was. And still feel how it didn't age well.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
For me it would be:

Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark. The series may not be as big Rare's other series such as Banjo-Kazooie or Killer Instinct but the N64 game was big success, considered one the best games on the system, and was major improvement over Goldeneye 007 in every way. Plus, as she comes the N64-era of Rare's days, she's pretty much an honorary-Nintendo character.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nah, I don't have Children(for them to have Children), so I can't be a Grandma. An Aunt, however~

But yeah, it was fun playing some games from such an early age. To see how bad they could get from the start, but still appreciate the gameplay for what it was. And still feel how it didn't age well.
For some reason, I find it hard to go back to a lot of NES games these days but I feel like a lot of SNES games still hold up really well today both in graphics and in gameplay. N64 graphics aged worse than SNES in my opinion but some of those still look great for what they had to work with at the time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
For some reason, I find it hard to go back to a lot of NES games these days but I feel like a lot of SNES games still hold up really well today both in graphics and in gameplay. N64 graphics aged worse than SNES in my opinion but some of those still look great for what they had to work with at the time.
There's a tendency for even numbered gen games to generally age better than odd numbered ones because the latter is often the experimental/foundational period to setup the refinement of the former.

-Atari 2600 titles seem more like actual games than Odyssey and Channel F ones.
-SNES and Genesis releases feel fairer than their NES & Master System counterparts
-The efforts of Gamecube/PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox fix a lot of the early 3D problems of N64/PSX/Saturn
-8th gen got away from the excess focus on aesthetic realism and limited genre push of the 7th gen

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think my first video game was either Stuart Little and his Adventures in Number Land or a Veggietales game called Minnesota Cuke and the Coconut Apes lmao

If we're talking like ACTUAL games, I think Melee was my first at like 5 or 6 years old, and I vaguely knew the Pokemon from the anime plus like a vague concept of Mario and gravitated towards Kirby, so I may have vaguely known him too I think, but I didn't know much else. I believe that was soon followed up by Pac-Man World 2 (which I wouldn't complete until many a year later because Clyde in the Caldera was impossible as a child) and Pokemon Sapphire.

Looking at years, I may have played Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on Game Boy Color pre-Melee, but I have no idea if that would've been before or after.

Last edited:

Cheese&Chips

Smash Cadet
Premium
The first video game I can remember watching my older brother playing was Operation Wolf for the SEGA Master System. The first video game that was bought for me specifically was Spyro 2: Season of Flame for the Game Boy Advanced.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The first video game I ever played was Mickey Mania for the SNES. The first game I played that I owned was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Genesis. For the latter, I had good times with that game.

Top Bottom