• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Everyone Is Here! (up to that point in their respective franchises) happened for Smash (Ultimate), MK (Trilogy), VF4Evo, SF4?
Street Fighter 4 was DEFINITELY not EiH. It was missing a handful of Alpha characters and a TON of SF3 characters. And that's not even counting those poor SF1 ******** who have never been in another SF game(Retsu, Geki, Lee, Joe). SF has never had EiH.

That said, SF4 COULD have been EiH, if not for Street Fighter X Tekken. Because SFxTK was a game made in the SF4 engine, where they had to make, like, 25 Tekken characters from scratch. If they'd spent those development resources adding more characters to SF4 instead, that would have been enough characters to finish off everyone that was missing.

And the saddest thing is that even with "Everyone is here" in Street Fighter, there'd still be no Mike Hagger.
RIGHT?!

I don't even care that he'd mostly be another Zangief. If SF can have, like, 8 Ryus, it can have a 2nd Zangief.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
It bothers me in non-crossover games when there are still characters from the series itself that haven't been added yet.

How is Street Fighter supposed to reach 'Everyone is Here!' if they're giving away roster slots to other series?!
Because the devs do what they want with their game? Not everything needs a "everyone is here!".

Btw, It's kinda funny to see people gatekeep Aloy in other forum/sites, i do not think she's likely, but we have characters like Cloud that got in with only Nintendo apareances in Spin-Offs and other series (KH:COM), yet they claim LEGO Horizon doesn't count for whatever reason. :drshrug:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a bit of discussion I wanted to spark regarding Ultimate's DLC fighters.

How likely do you think each one is to return for the base game of the next Smash game? For me:
  • :ultpiranha:: Likely to be cut, even though being a Nintendo character helps a little
  • :ultjoker:: IDK
  • :ulthero:: I think for how big Dragon Quest is in Japan, they'll at least try to get Hero back for the base game
  • :ultbanjokazooie:: May be likely due to being a popular ballot pick
  • :ult_terry:: Reasonably likely due to how easy to work with SNK is
  • :ultbyleth:: On the one hand, the backlash was massive and to insist otherwise might not be the best move. On the other hand:
    • Three Houses is the best-selling FE game
    • Byleth has had relative popularity in the competitive scene
    • Being a Nintendo character makes it easier for Byleth to come back
  • :ultminmin: A bit more likely than Piranha Plant, IMO. Entire series aren't usually cut from Smash, but we don't have a concrete idea of the next Smash game's direction, so I'm going to leave her chances at that.
  • :ultsteve:: One of the most likely 3rd party characters to make it to the base game due to Minecraft's popularity. Rebalancing, on the other hand, is a whole other can of worms.
  • :ultsephiroth:: I think his chances hinge on Cloud's, and that's all I can concretely say.
  • :ultpyra: / :ultmythra:: About as likely as Byleth due not only to their popularity but also because Xenoblade's been more or less a household Nintendo name since 2's release.
  • :ultkazuya:: Probably likely if Namco's co-developing the next Smash game. But again, balance is another story altogether.
  • :ultsora:: Similarly to Hero, I think the fact that Sora was the de-facto ballot winner should be a good reason to at least try to get him into the base roster.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Everyone is here for Street Fighter would be a funny idea cause I'd love to see what Capcom would have to do to get people to actually like Ingrid.
It would be worth it for me if they really leaned into Joe from SF1 being a powerful fighter, yet utterly generic person. Like even in the hypothetical story mode while all the other characters have detailed and complex motivations for being in the tournament, Joe's reason is basically that "Eh, it's something to do."

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It would be worth it for me if they really leaned into Joe from SF1 being a powerful fighter, yet utterly generic person. Like even in the hypothetical story mode while all the other characters have detailed and complex motivations for being in the tournament, Joe's reason is basically that "Eh, it's something to do."
Wonder how they'd handle Mike
The black boxer who is NOT supposed to be Mike Bison, AKA Balrog.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Everyone is here for Street Fighter would be a funny idea cause I'd love to see what Capcom would have to do to get people to actually like Ingrid.
What's wrong with Ingrid? I know she was originally supposed to be a Capcom Crossover OC similar to Ruby Heart and Amingo and not so much a Street Fighter character, but considering how she was almost a character in TvC and MvC3, appears as a Support character in Project X Zone 2, how often she appears in Vs. Capcom polls, especially Japanese polls, and how even Tekken's Harada really likes Ingrid, it gives me the impression that she's nowhere near as hated as you imply.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
What's wrong with Ingrid? I know she was originally supposed to be a Capcom Crossover OC similar to Ruby Heart and Amingo and not so much a Street Fighter character, but considering how she was almost a character in TvC and MvC3, appears as a Support character in Project X Zone 2, how often she appears in Vs. Capcom polls, especially Japanese polls, and how even Tekken's Harada really likes Ingrid, it gives me the impression that she's nowhere near as hated as you imply.
I've seen it said a lot she's more well received in the Japanese fandom than the Western one, which seems like an oversimplification from everything I've seen. In any case I think she's kind of controversial in the Western fandom cause her story role is so out of place and makes her seem like an overpowered OC, her design isn't that interesting, and she's not that fun to fight against. I've personally never had a strong opinion on her, I wouldn't mind if she came back, but I've seen a lot of people who really don't like her for those reasons, one of the top results when you google "Ingrid Street Fighter" is a reddit post titled "Why do people hate Ingrid so much?" lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because the devs do what they want with their game? Not everything needs a "everyone is here!".

Btw, It's kinda funny to see people gatekeep Aloy in other forum/sites, i do not think she's likely, but we have characters like Cloud that got in with only Nintendo apareances in Spin-Offs and other series (KH:COM), yet they claim LEGO Horizon doesn't count for whatever reason. :drshrug:
Well, we know that "having a Nintendo appearance" is not a requirement anyway. It's more a case of a courtesy, and obviously it helps(but not for some arbitrary reason like "it totally has to have a Nintendo connection". What's really happening is that the companies worked together before, which means working together again is legitimately easier on its own. It's not about the connection so much as the experience in itself. Even then, that wouldn't have stopped Cloud from getting in. Sakurai's actual response came out to "I'm not sure what I would've done", as it didn't come up before nor has(to our knowledge).

Moreso, cameos count. They always did. That said, costumes are slightly different from the actual character(for how fans view it), but it can depend the work; skins in Minecraft aren't that notable anyway, since any fan can make one. But in Fortnite, they actually are accurate models as much as possible. Though in reality, the whole point is the character was licensed properly to appear on a Nintendo console. That's the entire gist of it. That's the entire reason why they actually count; because they were licensed. It's not something that requires any kind of deep thought. It's super simple.

If, again, it was a requirement, that's the bare minimum needed. People can prefer whatever they want, but licensing will never work that way. "It's not good enough for me" is absolutely fine in itself. It just has no bearing on whether a character can actually appear anyway.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Literally the only way I see Byleth being cut is if we get a different Three Houses character as a newcomer.

We're not going to have a Fire Emblem character lineup without a Three Houses character. To expect otherwise seems pretty ridiculous.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Here's a bit of discussion I wanted to spark regarding Ultimate's DLC fighters.

How likely do you think each one is to return for the base game of the next Smash game?
:ultpiranha: : Cut (I don't see this character returning at all)
:ultjoker: : Cut or DLC (I think they might opt to drop Joker, he kinda seems like one of the most low priority 3rdparties to bring back in the base game, but i could see him back as DLC if there's enough fan demand)
:ulthero3: : Base (I can't imagine them cuting DQ tbh, specially bc Nintendo promotes the series in the west heavily and it's extremely influential and iconic in Japan, to boot)
:ultbanjokazooie: : Base (There's no reason to cut him tbh since he's a fan favourite, unless Microsoft is really uncoperative this time around for some reason).
:ult_terry: : Cut, Base or DLC (I think Terry is equally as likely to be any of the tree options tbh, with base begin a bit more likely, Terry is cool and probably cheap to license, but he might be a low priority 3rd party to bring back in the base game like Joker).
:ultbyleth: : Base (No way they're cuting him)

:ultminmin : Cut or Base: (It can go either way, i'm sure she's unlikely to make it as DLC if she's cut trough)
:ultsteve: : Base (It's Steve from Minecraft, the best selling game in the world....)
:ultsephiroth: : Cut or DLC: (I think he's one of the most likely to return as DLC, i think he'll most likely miss out the base game, through)
:ultpyra: : Base (Yeah....)
:ultkazuya:: Cut or Base (I think he's got a decent chance to return in the base roster if Namco is back, but i can't imagine him as DLC again tbh)
:ultsora:: Base or DLC (I think Sora getting cut is unlikely, he's the ballot winner, i think he's more likely to be DLC than base, but you never know, Disney does seem to be ok with Smash Bros. ):drshrug:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think the question is if X character comes back will they be base or dlc, not if they're coming back or not. They're two different questions.... But anyway... Percentage likelihood we see them next game

• :ultpiranha:: 25%
  • :ultjoker:: 75%
  • :ulthero:: 75%
  • :ultbanjokazooie:: 100%
  • :ult_terry:: 100% (as the new SF rep obv :p)
  • :ultbyleth:: 100%
  • :ultminmin: 100%
  • :ultsteve:: 75%
  • :ultsephiroth:: 75%
  • :ultpyra: / :ultmythra:: 75%
  • :ultkazuya:: 75%
  • :ultsora:: 25%

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I've seen it said a lot she's more well received in the Japanese fandom than the Western one, which seems like an oversimplification from everything I've seen. In any case I think she's kind of controversial in the Western fandom cause her story role is so out of place and makes her seem like an overpowered OC, her design isn't that interesting, and she's not that fun to fight against. I've personally never had a strong opinion on her, I wouldn't mind if she came back, but I've seen a lot of people who really don't like her for those reasons, one of the top results when you google "Ingrid Street Fighter" is a reddit post titled "Why do people hate Ingrid so much?" lol.
This basically sums it up.

I find her to be as out of place in a Street Fighter game as Sailor Moon would be if she was in Fist of the North Star.

It's a shame they added Ingrid to one of the updated versions of Street Fighter Alpha 3 when a character that I think SHOULD have been added but never was, was Kyosuke from Rival Schools. He had a full 2D sprite from Capcom vs SNK 2 and he had an unfinished story from Project Justice, all which they could have worked on in the Street Fighter series.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Because the devs do what they want with their game?
They better do what I want! I'm the one with the money!

Make me a Street Fighter Tag Tournament, with a cel-shaded anime art style, and EiH!

1717898821228.png

Ingrid isn't needed for EiH, because she's not actually a SF character. She's a guest character from CFE.

Wonder how they'd handle Mike
I refuse to entertain the notion that Mike, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, and Mike Bison, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, are two separate characters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's play a game, pick a character in Ultimate that you want changed.

Your job is to redesign the character, but you can only change three moves. That's it. Nothing else.

What do you do?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They better do what I want! I'm the one with the money!

Make me a Street Fighter Tag Tournament, with a cel-shaded anime art style, and EiH!

View attachment 390837

Ingrid isn't needed for EiH, because she's not actually a SF character. She's a guest character from CFE.

I refuse to entertain the notion that Mike, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, and Mike Bison, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, are two separate characters.
Maybe I'm must missing him but is there a reason Skullomania isn't here?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Your job is to redesign the character, but you can only change three moves. That's it. Nothing else.

What do you do?
I pick Chrom because of course I do.

Side Special becomes a Javelin Toss. Here, Chrom throws a javelin forward in an arc. If used in the air, he moves forward more, aiding in horizontal recovery, similar to Smash 4 Mewtwo's aerial Confusion. However, if he uses the move a certain amount of times in a specific stock, the javelin will break. At this point, his side special reverts to Double Edged Dance until the next stock. This is meant to retain Chrom's identity as a close quarters rushdown character while also giving him an occasional burst projectile or recovery aid when needed.

Down Special changes to Aegis. While replacing Counter, it's activated in much the same way. Chrom takes a counter stance and anticipates an incoming strike. If it successfully overlaps an enemy's attack, they'll be pushed back as Chrom gains a blue aura, indicating that Aegis is active. While in this state, Chrom can run through most incoming enemy projectiles, all but the strongest projectiles. He will take reduced damage and no knockback. Particularly strong projectiles will still do knockback, but will have the knockback reduced. This state lasts for a limited amount of time, which further reduces based on how many projectiles Chrom negates. This helps facilitate his rushdown playstyle against zoners.

Down Smash changes from the standard sword down smash to, instead, the move Chrom uses against the Risen in an early Awakening cutscene. Chrom leaps up into the air before stabbing Falchion into the stage, doing rapid slash damage upon descent before launching the foe upon making landfall. If this move is used at the ledge, it can also stab through the furthest point of the ledge to catch foes trying to recover.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

What do you do?
I’ll go with Ganondorf:

Up Special - Spear toss: Ganondorf tosses his spear in one of eight directions and teleports to its location. The move has about the same properties as Fox’s up special regarding Start-up, range, and damage.

Neutral Special - Dead Man’s Volley: This one is a lot like Sephiroth’s special on the ground. Pressing quickly is basically the same as Sephiroth’s weak special. Charging the move causes Ganondorf to levitate higher in the air as it charges and he fires the projectile diagonally down from the air with increasing power and blast range based on the charge. From the air, he always fires it diagonally downward.

Down Special - Fire Bats: This is essentially a flamethrower like Bowser’s or Charizard’s that he emits from his hand. The animation summons a wave of fire bats engulfed in flames. If you’ve ever played Diablo 3, it’s one of the variants of the Witch Doctor’s special (the game had Ganondorf’s Twilight Princess armor) but also based on classic Gannon.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This gave me an idea.

Everyone Is Here! (up to that point in their respective franchises) happened for Smash (Ultimate), MK (Trilogy), VF4Evo, SF4? Maybe?, onna the mvc?
Everyone Is Here would be wild for MvC considering there's over 100 of them, and one of them is an actual Japanese comedian.

What do you do?
OK we'll go with Sonic, and for my first change I'll make Spin Dash and Spin Charge the same move, and then I-...Wait is that one or two changes?

More seriously, I'm not entirely sure how I'd change Sonic, but I would make sure Spin Dash/Charge can get blocked by shields and/or parries, hopefully stopping the gimmick of relentlessly feinting the move(s), and uh yeah, make them both down special. It feels so bad that two moves that could easily just be one are separate in this day and age.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For a full set of changes, here's Ganondorf:
  1. Up tilt is now a slightly weaker version of his up smash from previous games. If you still wanna do da funny Volcano Kick, you can hold the button down.
  2. If you press the special move button while using Warlock Punch, Ganondorf will toss out that Dead Man's Volley projectile, which can be knocked back and forth like you'd expect.
  3. Ganondorf now has a float mechanic. He can't float while on the ground because float cancel Ganondorf aerials would be broken, but he can use it to mixup his position and stuff like in most mods.
    1. Side note, why do the mods always make it his neutral special? That just sounds so awkward.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

What do you do?
Ganondorf:

Up Tilt: This is just an awful move that only seems cool in terms of "this deals powerful damage", but that's it. Making it a quick version of his Melee Up Smash would make it a lot more usable(but also still have a reasonable amount of strength, not being too comb-y).

Up Special: Make this Teleport, but like Sheik's, it would deal damage. If not that, Dark Fists is a nice option that fits more of his character than Dark Dive's oddity.

Neutral A: It stays partially the same, but you can hold it down to charge up an energy ball and throw it. This isn't actually Dead Man's Volley either, but closer to his other electric ball attack. It's a unique attack that has a stunning property, but is harder to reflect; any move that Reflects would deactivate after it(they won't go into a dizzy state, though). Ganondorf can knock it away by deflecting it(where it won't deal damage). This would make it a strong projectile that ties into his game, but not be overpowering.

(I want a way for him to reflect stuff with attacks, but that's impossible outside of changing more moves. XD)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
(I want a way for him to reflect stuff with attacks, but that's impossible outside of changing more moves. XD)
If he's only allowed the one projectile onscreen, his neutral special could be the reflect move while it's on the field.

EDIT: Also I kinda like the teleport idea, though strangely I don't remember the character being able to do that. "Dark Fists" sounds intriguing too. Either way, Ganondorf would 100% benefit from not having Dark Dive.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion

What do you do?
I choose Peach

1. Replace Toad with Heart Counter, a move that acts sorta like Palutena's down special mixed with that of Rosalina.

2. Forward throw's animation is reverted to Smash 4's

3. Down throw's animation is reverted to Smash 4's

My motivation is very clear

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If he's only allowed the one projectile onscreen, his neutral special could be the reflect move while it's on the field.
Can't be; I already have three moves. Unless you meant Neutral A only. But that comes out too fast to be the only one that works. So I went with an alternate way(and an alternate move I'd rather see). Plus, it's very rare for a projectile to knock out a Reflector, so more of those becoming interesting to me over a normal projectile.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can't be; I already have three moves. Unless you meant Neutral A only. But that comes out too fast to be the only one that works. So I went with an alternate way(and an alternate move I'd rather see). Plus, it's very rare for a projectile to knock out a Reflector, so more of those becoming interesting to me over a normal projectile.
I suppose that would technically make it a fourth move if things like Heel Slide and Afterburner Kick are counted as two moves, but my idea was that after you use neutral special to fire the initial projectile, the move would change to that backhand swat from Ocarina of Time, which would act as a reflector (and would probably have a special property of being able to withstand the projectile enough to reflect it back 1 time without it being broken).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

What do you do?
Little Mac
1. Slip Counter becomes cancelable
2. When KO Meter Full adds enhanced side B and up b moves like Cloud so stronger and further haymaker and recovery
3. Taunt brings out Doc who pats his back and he heals a percent

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I suppose that would technically make it a fourth move if things like Heel Slide and Afterburner Kick are counted as two moves, but my idea was that after you use neutral special to fire the initial projectile, the move would change to that backhand swat from Ocarina of Time, which would act as a reflector (and would probably have a special property of being able to withstand the projectile enough to reflect it back 1 time without it being broken).
Right. But my point was that I'm using it as Neutral A, and that doesn't work really well as a better Reflector. As a Neutral B, your idea does fit better for the Reflector thing. Not what I'm going for either way. Hope that clears up what I mean.

There's no issue with a Move overall having more than one Move in a property(Samus has two Missile forms, for instance). That's not even counting stuff like Judgment, heh. I mean, unless it counts as cheating per Swamp's question, which is fair.

Top Bottom