• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He was, wasn't he?

Or is this using a super unpopular version of the character that I'm not aware of? (I'm still getting caught up on Sony games - despite having a PS3, I haven't gotten around to playing the God of War or Uncharted games yet, let alone Ape Escape)
Dear GOD what did they do to my son!!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I certainly do hope that Sony one day attempts at PSASBR again or start off from scratch starting over again only better this time.

The potential was there, it just wasnt delivered as hoped.
That's because they didn't have Sakurai's secret ingredient to the Krabby Patty Smash Bros. formula; love and care.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I wonder why Western gaming companies don’t have, like, a third person multiplayer shooter crossover game. A lot of ultra relevant Western properties would fit into it better than they would in a fighting game, and it’d stand out as a completely different thing from games like Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah, so it's a super-unpopular version. Got it.

Though that seems kind of weird - I get that, for Dante, Capcom had the final say, but isn't Ape Escape a first party franchise for Sony?
SCE Japan Studio, so yeah, Sony original IP

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like......sure, in a few games of their games, they play mostly the same gameplay-wise, but......Ebisumaru uses alot of different weaponry and abilities compared to Goemon. Like Goemon mainly uses his pipes and Ryo/Money for his weapons while Ebisumaru uses flutes, fans, hammers, party blowers, paddles, frying pans, spatulas, hula hoops, bombs, ninja stars...like could he even be considered Echo Fighter material?
Considering that, in many games, his "different weapons" are purely cosmetic, and he plays exactly the same? Yes.

Like his shuriken are the same as Goemon's coins. His flute, Goemon's pipe. His party blower, Goemon's yo-yo. etc.

They have enough differences that it would be a disservice to both of them.
The alternative is one of them doesn't get in. Which seems like a hell of a lot bigger disservice to whichever one that is than being included with a couple ill fitting moves.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The alternative is one of them doesn't get in. Which seems like a hell of a lot bigger disservice to whichever one that is than being included with a couple ill fitting moves.
Or they reference Siegfried being the host in most SC games with this.

1605412975643.png

It's already an alt for Nightmare in SC2 and breaking Nightmare's armor in SC6 shows you the Siegfried underneath, so it'd be neither new nor outdated.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Are there any videogame crossover characters in Fortnite, out of curiosity?
Hmmm. No actually, Unless I missed something that seems a bit strange, I can think of Several game characters that could have been added by now. Like Cal Kestis or PS4 Spiderman but even then those are not Video Game characters in origin

I WAS WRONG Borderlands has had a crossover with Fortnite!

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Are there any videogame crossover characters in Fortnite, out of curiosity?
A poster of the Jazz Jackrabbit video game can be found on Fortnite since Epic did indeed made that game series. The only one in recent memory is from the Borderlands game.

In my opinion, I think the battle royale PUBG Mobile did a better job in the video game crossover as they did a collaboration with Angry Bird, Resident Evil 2 Remake 2018, and Metro Exodus.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Or they reference Siegfried being the host in most SC games with this.

It's already an alt for Nightmare in SC2 and breaking Nightmare's armor in SC6 shows you the Siegfried underneath, so it'd be neither new nor outdated.
I'd still prefer to get SC2 Nightmare with SC4 Siegfried as an Echo so both the titular Soul Edge and SoulCalibur are represented.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This is a bit off topic but since other users where talking about Playstation all stars, I made my own take on a roster for the sequel (I did it yesterday because of the release of the ps5) and I figure I might as well share it here. The roster have 38 characters. The first 2 row are veterans, the row 3 and 4 are newcomers and the final row is third party. I would have put more third party, but I wanted to make something with more first party so I think it's pretty realistic. Also I didn't put Spider-Man because I wanted to focus on video game character. The last two characters, Vibri from Vib-ribbon and Locoroco are "joke" character. You could delete them and still have 36 characters, but I like those surprising characters like Fat princess in the first one or Game & Watch back in Melee.

Attachments

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Actually this sounds like a fun forum game

Try and push the most out there and ridiculous of characters as so called "Sakurai picks"

For example, "Sakurai will choose Gex cuz he's a pop culture nut and he might appreciate the dated references Gex spews out"
The "Sakurai pick" for this pass will be the Scaredy-Shroom from Plants Vs. Zombies because it represents the team's work ethic during COVID. Working from a distance and staying indoors.
download.png

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Considering that, in many games, his "different weapons" are purely cosmetic, and he plays exactly the same? Yes.

Like his shuriken are the same as Goemon's coins. His flute, Goemon's pipe. His party blower, Goemon's yo-yo. etc.
Not really? Like how the heck is the hula hoop "purely cosmetic"? The Ninja stars definitely also have different sound effects from Goemon's coins when they hit an enemy. And if Goemon's Chain pipe is used as a grapple/hookshot recovery, what does Ebisumaru use? The only object he has that was even remotely used for platforming was his hula hoop and it was used to hold onto "grab-able" platforms above him.

He may have played very similar to Goemon in the early games, but it feels like a stretch to make him an alternate when looking at the more adventure-like games, like Ganbare Goemon 3 & 4 and Mystical Ninja.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Last time I asked who you guys wanted here, it was about characters who rarely get mentioned. But not this time. Oh, no. This time, I'll be asking the opposite:

Are there characters that you want to see in Smash that you think get too much attention?
You want to see them in Smash, but so do all of these other folks. I guess flavor-of-the-month characters also qualify as long as their this month's flavor.

As for my opinion, I think a lot of people talk about Sora, Crash Bandicoot and Dante. I also anticipate that Sol Badguy will join them in the roster speculation "echo chamber" by the end of this year. Nonetheless, they're all characters I would like to see in Smash one day.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Last time I asked who you guys wanted here, it was about characters who rarely get mentioned. But not this time. Oh, no. This time, I'll be asking the opposite:

Are there characters that you want to see in Smash that you think get too much attention?
You want to see them in Smash, but so do all of these other folks. I guess flavor-of-the-month characters also qualify as long as their this month's flavor.

As for my opinion, I think a lot of people talk about Sora, Crash Bandicoot and Dante. I also anticipate that Sol Badguy will join them in the roster speculation "echo chamber" by the end of this year. Nonetheless, they're all characters I would like to see in Smash one day.
This is Master Chief for me, or was before Steve really hurt his chances anyways.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Dante Isn't my Most wanted, but Dante would be very cool to see, but he really does get alot of Attention. I don't mind, but I'm personally more apprehensive of his Chances because Dante's moveset might be too Sexy to Develop (he has So Much Stuff), and it would be hard to balance and animate all that jazz, especially if they have to Model him from Scratch

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No such thing as too much attention for one of my most wanted. But my current #1, Hayabusa is also a current frontrunner.

And if Goemon's Chain pipe is used as a grapple/hookshot recovery, what does Ebisumaru use?
The party blower.

He may have played very similar to Goemon in the early games, but it feels like a stretch to make him an alternate when looking at the more adventure-like games
Then don't.

Bowser Jr's alts ignore the abilities of most of the Koopalings.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest, I think most of the characters left who I want fall under the, "Don't get enough attention but should be added in Smash."

Both Min Min and Steve fit that category, despite the latter being from the best-selling game of all time.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I certainly do hope that Sony one day attempts at PSASBR again or start off from scratch starting over again only better this time.

The potential was there, it just wasn't delivered as hoped.
I remember a rumor from a while back that Sony had hired Capcom to develop a new game in the series, but rebooted as a Power Stone clone to differentiate itself from Smash.

It was probably just a fake but I'm still holding onto hope, Capcom and PlayStation exclusives seem to leak a lot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, Nintendo of America uses Impa as their avatar on Twitter.

She's in Smash guys!

No seriously, without jokes, this could be a hint , or maybe nothing..but I still love it regardless.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Not really, actually. The bulk of my desires are either fairly under the radar at the moment or always have been. For context:
  • Bandana Dee fell out of favor after the Mass Spiriting and hasn't fully rebounded because DLC hasn't favored non-protagonists.
  • Reimu is divisive due to her indie status, lack of Nintendo connections (Unless we count fangames, which is another can of worms), and Japan-centric series, and will probably remain that way until Nintendo advertises a Touhou game on Twitter or in a Direct, official or otherwise.
  • Adol is from a smaller series that's been pretty under-the-radar, and only gained traction recently after the Falcom "leak" gained more credence. Y'know, I kinda wonder if it would make any difference around here if I were a Trails nut instead of an Ys nut and did a big writeup on Estelle instead...
  • Klonoa... Hahaha...
    pain and suffering

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Really, I think a lot of the "Smash echochamber" picks would be neat to see, though they can certainly skew too western for my tastes. That said, the only ones I really actively want are Dante and Lloyd (or any Tales protagonist really). I guess Reimu if she counts, but I don't think she's reached that point in the speculation world just yet. All my other most wanteds are pseudo-niche in speculation. I guess with Falcom potentially entering the ring, that could change, but while I think Adol or Rean would be cool, there are other characters I would prioritize.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

This isn't a problem now, but I hated how Marx was the go to "**** Bandana Dee, here's who's better" character during the base game. I've wanted Marx since Smash 4, I was thrilled to see him actually become a reasonable request, but with how he was mostly just used to insult another character I like, I almost wished he never came back.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Damn, looking at this really makes me wish that other companies also made crossovers like Smash. I get that PlayStation All-Stars is a very deterring cautionary tale of how hard it is to properly make one, but still, I think with Ultimate's success, other companies would be mad not to try and replicate it - especially the other console makers, with their huge budgets. Plus it'd be great for fans, because then there are more chances for your character to get in a crossover. You're a Lara Croft fan and she didn't get in Smash? Well, she can still get into the Xbox fighter, or the Sony fighter, or the Square Enix fighter.

Excuse you sir, this isn't just any random sitcom. You're talking about Drake & Josh, the undisputed kings of television humor.
Like Brawlhalla.

I won't stand for the fact that the Mastahpiece Shrek Super Slam (which also has a competitive scene) is ignored.

That looks truly fun. I miss when I saw all my gamer friends and they'd introduce me to all sorts of fun mods and multiplayer games.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You know as a hypothetical something, like Sony vs Capcom could probably be fairly successful if done right. While potential sales would be a bit limited to being only on Playstation, Capcom fighting games still have enough reputation with the general audience to make it less risky overall and with a decent enough art direction you could probably make the various styles work.

Certainly the possibility of a game where you can do Mega Man with Rush vs. Ratchet and Clank or Nathan Drake vs. Dante can make money somehow.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sora, I'd lose my mind if another one of my top ten games showed up in Smash but all the support for him that just popped up out of literally nowhere feels so bandwagony.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The Mario tourney will be before the Game Awards. I still feel like a Mario character such as Geno and Waluigi could still happen, but I think their chances have dipped slightly.

Which hurts because I did want Geno, but I have others that I want anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom