• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Mario tourney will be before the Game Awards. I still feel like a Mario character such as Geno and Waluigi could still happen, but I think their chances have dipped slightly.

Which hurts because I did want Geno, but I have others that I want anyway.
The chances have dipped because they couldn't make a tournament? :191: Dude, we have at least another year, they don't need to be in the first half just to appeal to an online Smash tournament that only lasts a couple days.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I never really felt either Geno or Waluigi's chances hinged on coming before the Mario tournament. The latter are solid publicity events for Smash but they feel like something more to just keep the game in the public eye than relevant into its major developments.

If they did a tourney based heavily around Pokemon characters in January that certainly wouldn't discount a possible Gen 8 fighter coming later that year.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure why people are hinging a new character on a freaking tornament
The whole "November or December" thing was rather weird; you'd think that they could have picked a specific date, or even had it that weekend if it's just an online tournament.

The fact that they had no idea what month it would be in made people (myself included) think that it could possibly be saved for after a character reveal. (which it still could be; something could be happening tomorrow, given that there are at least four different types of maintenance going on in the eShop tomorrow, including PayPal and credit card maintenance, which (by my understanding) is rare and has only happened before Directs/reveals)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I remember a rumor from a while back that Sony had hired Capcom to develop a new game in the series, but rebooted as a Power Stone clone to differentiate itself from Smash.

It was probably just a fake but I'm still holding onto hope, Capcom and PlayStation exclusives seem to leak a lot.
I think I know which leak you're talking about.

At this point that feels pretty much a false rumour because that was 1 or 2 years ago? But yeah. It sounded very cool. I remember it saying Capcom being developing a new Playstation All Stars game, adding characters from their own properties like Ryu, Chris Redfield and Dante. And that Sony was going all in for bringing third parties that weren't in the previous game: Snake, Cloud, Crash, Lara Croft, and more. Plus the game would have newer Playstation characters such as Aloy or the Hunter from Bloodborne, also the Spidey version from Marvel's Spiderman.

It sounded very dope, to be honest.

Edit: I just found the post. It originated from 4chan... which is why most people didn't take this seriously. Also because this sounds too good to be true lol

Nathan drake
Kratos - plays like new GoW not old.
Sackboy
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Spider Man ( they had deal with disney) - one of the frontrunner in marketing even.
Aloy (from Horizon game)
Helghast (from Killzone)
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro the Dragon
Tomb Raider( she looks like TR Legends )
Jill Valentine
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Kat
Dante
Parappa The Rapper
Ellie ( last of us )
Delsin Rowe ( inFamous)
Cloud ( FF7 Remake)
Solid Snake ( classic look)
Ryu
Chun Li
I saw lots of talking about Ape escape, Sly Cooper, Mike Haggar , Nero , Fat princess , tekken characters and even MGS 4 Raiden . As i said game will have lots of future characters even from different IP owners. I expect Sephiroth , Raiden ,Sly , MK characters etc in future along with any new PS IP that is launching.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think I know which leak you're talking about.

At this point that feels pretty much a false rumour because that was 1 or 2 years ago? But yeah. It sounded very cool. I remember it saying Capcom being developing a new Playstation All Stars game, adding characters from their own properties like Ryu, Chris Redfield and Dante. And that Sony was going all in for bringing third parties that weren't in the previous game: Snake, Cloud, Crash, Lara Croft, and more. Plus the game would have newer Playstation characters such as Aloy or the Hunter from Bloodborne, also the Spidey version from Marvel's Spiderman.

It sounded very dope, to be honest.

Edit: I just found the post. It originated from 4chan... which is why most people didn't take this seriously. Also because this sounds too good to be true lol
Christ that's super wishful lmao. PSABR just needed a few small changes and it'd have been fine too, I'm tired of people acting like the game was absolutely godawful

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The whole "November or December" thing was rather weird; you'd think that they could have picked a specific date, or even had it that weekend if it's just an online tournament.

The fact that they had no idea what month it would be in made people (myself included) think that it could possibly be saved for after a character reveal. (which it still could be; something could be happening tomorrow, given that there are at least four different types of maintenance going on in the eShop tomorrow, including PayPal and credit card maintenance, which (by my understanding) is rare and has only happened before Directs/reveals)
Oh please.
I find believing maintenance means something is happening everytime it happens or that tournament Paints the way for a character is a bit silly but that's just me

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last time I asked who you guys wanted here, it was about characters who rarely get mentioned. But not this time. Oh, no. This time, I'll be asking the opposite:

Are there characters that you want to see in Smash that you think get too much attention?
You want to see them in Smash, but so do all of these other folks. I guess flavor-of-the-month characters also qualify as long as their this month's flavor.

As for my opinion, I think a lot of people talk about Sora, Crash Bandicoot and Dante. I also anticipate that Sol Badguy will join them in the roster speculation "echo chamber" by the end of this year. Nonetheless, they're all characters I would like to see in Smash one day.
Definitely Shantae. I like to see indie characters as sort of underdogs when it comes to Smash speculation, so it's really weird seeing her at the top of almost every most wanted list.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Christ that's super wishful lmao. PSABR just needed a few small changes and it'd have been fine too, I'm tired of people acting like the game was absolutely godawful
I get that the roster choices are largely out of the developers' control (most of the true Playstation all-stars are third party, so they're at the mercy of Capcom when it comes to which characters they include, and if Square-Enix or Activision says "no", they can't use some of the Playstation's biggest/best-known games), but the game's basic gimmick resulted in normal moves and most of the items being almost completely useless, turning it into a waiting game to see who had the better timing for using Supers. (and some Supers, like Sir Daniel's level 1, were almost impossible to hit with)

It would be like a Smash game where it was only possible to KO someone with a Final Smash.

The stages combining two franchises was a great idea, though. I wish there were some Smash Bros. stages that were like that.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Since we are talking about PSASBR:

How is this as a roster?
Not trying to get into a another The Last Of Us 2 debate, and I know he’s apparently a huge fan and defender of the franchise, so am I’m

But I fell like he‘s interrupted the ”Naughty Dog dosn’t want you to have fun” talking point not only incorrectly, but I disagree with his logic on that should be reason they can’t be in a crossover

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
To be honest, I think most of the characters left who I want fall under the, "Don't get enough attention but should be added in Smash."

Both Min Min and Steve fit that category, despite the latter being from the best-selling game of all time.
You know what? Let’s make that a new topic. For me, it’s:
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Chosen Undead
  • Frank West
  • Crazy Dave

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Last time I asked who you guys wanted here, it was about characters who rarely get mentioned. But not this time. Oh, no. This time, I'll be asking the opposite:

Are there characters that you want to see in Smash that you think get too much attention?
You want to see them in Smash, but so do all of these other folks. I guess flavor-of-the-month characters also qualify as long as their this month's flavor.

As for my opinion, I think a lot of people talk about Sora, Crash Bandicoot and Dante. I also anticipate that Sol Badguy will join them in the roster speculation "echo chamber" by the end of this year. Nonetheless, they're all characters I would like to see in Smash one day.
Geno, Crash, Sora, Dante, Ryu Hayabusa. That's why I tend to shill Eggman a lot here, since he doesn't get as much attention.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I get that the roster choices are largely out of the developers' control (most of the true Playstation all-stars are third party, so they're at the mercy of Capcom when it comes to which characters they include, and if Square-Enix or Activision says "no", they can't use some of the Playstation's biggest/best-known games), but the game's basic gimmick resulted in normal moves being almost completely useless, turning it into a waiting game to see who had the better timing for using Supers. (and some Supers, like Sir Daniel's level 1, were almost impossible to hit with)

It would be like a Smash game where it was only possible to KO someone with a Final Smash.

The stages combining two franchises was a great idea, though. I wish there were some Smash Bros. stages that were like that.
Yeah hence why I said that a few small changes would fix those issues, one of those changes being changing how only supers could kill
Then who is the King and why is the The Kid from I Wanna Be The Guy?
idk probably Quote

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then who is the King and why is the The Kid from I Wanna Be The Guy?
How are they supposed to fill out an IWBTG challenger pack without licensing from all the companies it took stuff from? At least Arc System Works is fine enough with IWBTG using Guilty Gear Isuka music to include a giant cherry emoji as something you can unlock from collecting GGI's Steam trading cards, but I can't say the same for everyone else.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How are they supposed to fill out an IWBTG challenger pack without licensing from all the companies it took stuff from? At least Arc System Works is fine enough with IWBTG using Guilty Gear Isuka music to include a giant cherry emoji as something you can unlock from collecting GGI's Steam trading cards, but I can't say the same for everyone else.
Who said they were gonna be in Smash? We're just talking indie.

The day the flash game that spawned a genre of uber-hard platformers gets in Smash is the day Goku shows up too. It's cool, but it ain't fit for Smash.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is Master Chief for me, or was before Steve really hurt his chances anyways.
Lloyd.
The Mario tourney will be before the Game Awards. I still feel like a Mario character such as Geno and Waluigi could still happen, but I think their chances have dipped slightly.

Which hurts because I did want Geno, but I have others that I want anyway.
Just to suggest other ideas:

(Captain)/Toad, (King)/Boo, Paper Mario, Kamek, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The day the flash game that spawned a genre of uber-hard platformers gets in Smash is the day Goku shows up too. It's cool, but it ain't fit for Smash.
I was simply asking a question, not actually thinking The Kid could be in Smash,

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't forget Toadette (as an alt/echo for Toad), Pauline, and Birdo.
They are all possible, sure (Though, I'd have a hard time thinking Toadette would make it in before Toad, or would be an echo and not an alt).
As for Pauline- no, I actively don't want her, because- to me- having Daisy, Peach, Rosalina, and Pauline, when there are so many other unique characters from Mario missing (visually and otherwise), is a poor representation of what Mario is. (I feel this about Zelda too, so it's clearly just an opinion).
And I standby Birdo as an echo for Yoshi.

but yes, they could be possibilities.

So could be Goomba, Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa...
I just listed the ones I wanted in my first post (especially Captain Toad and Paper Mario, who, for me, are both above Geno and Waluigi).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
They are all possible, sure (Though, I'd have a hard time thinking Toadette would make it in before Toad, or would be an echo and not an alt).
Well yes, that's why I said as an alt or echo.

As for Pauline- no, I actively don't want her, because- to me- having Daisy, Peach, Rosalina, and Pauline, when there are so many other unique characters from Mario missing (visually and otherwise), is a poor representation of what Mario is. (I feel this about Zelda too, so it's clearly just an opinion).
You listed two Marios in your list and Pauline isn't unique enough for you? (And that's not to say I'm against them, Paper Mario could be interesting).

I have a difficult time seeing how Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are more unique from Mario and Luigi visually than Pauline would be from the three princesses, but sure buddy.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well yes, that's why I said as an alt or echo.

I have a difficult time seeing how Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are more unique visually than Pauline, but sure buddy.
Well, to start, they are playable.
But more importantly, in my mind, they'd also just be echoes- of Ice Climbers, with some Mario/Luigi shenanigans thrown in.
(And since you said visually- even as original characters, they could still draw from Yoshi's Island or Mario and Luigi. Whereas Pauline, who could be unique, just isn't as interesting to me, personally).

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I've always thought Toadette could serve as a Mario Kart representative, personally. Y'know, cause she was introduced in Double Dash and all?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, to start, they are playable.
But more importantly, in my mind, they'd also just be echoes- of Ice Climbers, with some Mario/Luigi shenanigans thrown in.
(And since you said visually- even as original characters, they could still draw from Yoshi's Island or Mario and Luigi. Whereas Pauline, who could be unique, just isn't as interesting to me, personally).
Pauline could draw from Mario vs DK or Mario Odyssey, the way Rosalina drew from Mario Galaxy even though she wasn't playable in those games. Plenty of interesting things they could do with her.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I really didn't think that Mario was getting another rep anyways.
I mean, I wouldn't totally count out a Mario character for the rest of the pass, but I do agree that thinking one would come for or because of the upcoming Mario tournament is likely a no-show.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pauline could draw from Mario vs DK or Mario Odyssey, the way Rosalina drew from Mario Galaxy even though she wasn't playable in those games. Plenty of interesting things they could do with her.
You're welcome to feel that way, but I do not.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was simply asking a question, not actually thinking The Kid could be in Smash,
I just like the WBT metaseries in general, ever since I found Boshy the niche little subculture of multiple games that make references to other games with difficulty up the ass just makes it really enjoyable.

It isn't possible for The Kid to be in Smash, with the license hell and all the games take from.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For the record- I ended up buying No More Heroes.
I hope it's worth the money and doesn't just make me angry.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Call it my penchant for wizard/witch characters and the novelty of having the main villain from the Yoshi games in, but I always thought Kamek could made a decent Mario addition. The magic wand angle has possibilities, not to mention some fun things you could do with the broomstick flying mechanic.

Plus when he's selected Kamella can take over for him in the NSMBU level.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Call it my penchant for wizard/witch characters and the novelty of having the main villain from the Yoshi games in, but I always thought Kamek could made a decent Mario addition. The magic wand angle has possibilities, not to mention some fun things you could do with the broomstick flying mechanic.

Plus when he's selected Kamella can take over for him in the NSMBU level.
I fully agree with that. I wish there were more supernatural styles of Magic- we do have a few, but majority of them come from RPGs where the magic systems tend to be within more of the same vein. <-- Comment that I'm sure will attract all the reasons the magic systems are different.

...I still want a magical girl......

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Some of the stuff it pulls from is already in Super Smash Bros., so they could just use that.

Eh, I disagree. Flash games may be a bit odd for reasons that are currently intangible to me, but I do think there are a few with enough influence that would justify their inclusion as much as some non-Flash indie game series. I think I Wanna Be the Guy in particular would be a decent fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom