• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just because something sells well doesn't mean the product was good.
And those sales are for three versions of the game combined, so consumer overlap is inevitable unlike copies of Awakening or 3H.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Except it wasn’t incredibly bad like you’re making it seem to be. There were people I know who liked it, and even if the majority didn’t take it well, then that’s the majority. That could be 51% (not saying it is, just saying it could be). It’s not like adding Corrin was such a terrible decision because literally everyone hated it. Because there were plenty of people who were happy and plenty of people who just don’t care. The people who were angry just yelled the loudest.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exactly.

Sales and reception are often linked, but they're never the same. It's why the constant stream of mediocrity that is the pokemon games always manage to sell multi-millions whereas plenty of other games with much more effort placed into them can be completely overlooked by the general public and become cult classics. It's fortunate then we live in a world where IS took its criticism to heart and deliberately tried to address them in a future installment.

Even so, regardless of the quality of Fates, Corrin wasn't chosen for his character, his story (or stories in this case), his supporting characters, or even his ginormous sales numbers, he was chosen because Sakurai's dev team really liked the idea of a character that could malform into a weird deeragon.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Regardless of the quality of Fates, Corrin wasn't chosen for his character, his story (or stories in this case), or his supporting characters, he was chosen because Sakurai's dev team really liked the idea of a character that could malform into a weird deeragon.
I think that’s a definite part of it. Even back then, there were “too many sword” complaints. I believe Robin was chosen over Chrom for the opportunity to include tomes, and that Corrin was included for the opportunity to have a “”manakete”” (I know that’s not exactly the case lol)

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
What if we got a character from a book in Smash
Like Paddington
Or Count Olaf
Or Greg Heffley
Or CaPTAIN UNDERPANTS

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
SKX31 SKX31 This is only partially related to Smash speculation, but I was wondering if you knew what all the planned 3rd party games for the Nintendo Switch in China were? you seem pretty knowledgeable of Nintendo's endeavors in China.

I was looking online and found this press image from Daniel Ahmad's twitter, but I can't read Chinese and I couldn't find any sources of to what exactly these games listed were.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Monster Hunter feels like it got two major strikes against having a playable character. Monster Hunter has the most content of any third party added to Smash, but without a playable character for one. A Boss with his own section of World of Light that also doubles as an Assist Trophy with a Spirit and two music tracks with a 2 previous Mii Costumes that have a high chance of coming back eventually? That's a ton of content for a third party franchise that doesn't have a playable fighter.

Then Byleth casually came in and took the most obvious Monster Hunter gimmicks with weapon switching, right down to the fact that Byleth's relics are also made of bone like Monster Hunter weapons could easily be.

I usually don't like to fully rule series out like that, but Monster Hunter feels like one of the more definitive franchises that Sakurai has decided on having a different role than playable fighter. Not that I would mind a Monster Hunter, but I don't expect it.
I don't believe Monster Hunter will be playable either, but the 'Byleth stole their moveset' but has always been the weakest argument against it. MH doesn't have the whip sword that makes up the majority of Byleth's moveset, Byleth doesn't have the iconic Great Sword that would make up the Hunters, and the axes and (to a lesser extent) lances are used differently in both games with MH using them armor the transforming Charge Blade and Switch Axe while MH's Lance's are more used for slow, defensive and precise strikes. The only similarity they truly have is the bow, and even then it's not like they don't have a multitude of other weapons to use such as the Dual Blades, Gunlance, and Long Sword, while also having items like the Flash Bomb and Barrel Bombs.

If you think MH is unlikely due to the Rathalos, that's completely understandable. However, Byleth would never be an obstacle as the characters have many more differences then you're giving them credit for.

Edit: To give a better idea, here's her showcase from MvCi. Note that the only real move she shares with Byleth is the Bow, otherwise her primary weapon was the Great Sword with the Dual Blades and items like the Barrel Bomb being supplements.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I really hope that one of those "platinum 4" games is Nier automata on Switch. I really think it's the only thing missing before 2B could really be a huge contender for Fighter pass 2.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So uh, Platinum still has 3 more announcements, probably all this week. So unless Platinum has 3 random new games to announce, pretty sure one of those will be Bayonetta 3 getting a proper reveal, and no way that won't be in a normal direct. Just saying.
Oh god I hope so.

That being said Platinum Games is one of my favourite gaming companies so I welcome any new games that they drop as well.

D

Deleted member

I really hope that one of those "platinum 4" games is Nier automata on Switch. I really think it's the only thing missing before 2B could really be a huge contender for Fighter pass 2.
I really don’t know if we can use Nintendo history as a rule anymore. It’s mostly a celebration of gaming

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I really don’t know if we can use Nintendo history as a rule anymore. It’s mostly a celebration of gaming
That's true, and I already think she's a pretty big contender (see my pass prediction in my signature). I just feel like a switch port would make people realize it more and having more discussion around her.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'd really like it because I don't really have much planned for new Switch games so far this year so I'd love to get something to play other than expansion passes or 3H paths I haven't done yet

Flyboy

Smash Hero
NieR Automata is my favorite game ever so obviously I want more people to play it. There are some...unusual things about it regarding online mechanics that makes me wonder how well it would translate to Switch but I think it could work.

I still don't believe that 2B is possible but I'd definitely feel more comfortable pushing her if Automata (or any NieR/Drakengard game) was on Switch.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Wow there alot of people in the thread clearly don't understand what the hell they are talking about when it comes to Fire Emblem

Jesus the "Fates was divisive and bad, so that's why Byleth is also bad" agruments, stay out of r/fireemblem you guys

Anyways, unless you guys have already talked about it, I do find this conversation instresting

Now watch as this thread tries to tie this into Smash, in 3,21...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If it isn't tied into Smash Bros or newcomer speculation it's just kind of off topic then, isn't it?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'd really like it because I don't really have much planned for new Switch games so far this year so I'd love to get something to play other than expansion passes or 3H paths I haven't done yet
Speaking of this, how is the No More Heroes series? Thinking of giving it a shot whenever is comes out. What's the gameplay and all that like?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd be down for 2B if we also get Kaine, either through official channels as an Echo/alt/whatever or through the magical world of fanmodding.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Don’t know 2B that well at all. But she looks cool so I’ll be chill if her moveset is really fun

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dont knoq her game too well but ive seen how she fights ans it would be cool.

But 2b is 2thicc for smash so they'll probably have to change her up.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Fates came before Three Houses and was not received well by fans because of the characters and story. There's always a chance that things can go sideways.
Fates may've had an iffy story and cast, but most people agree that Conquest was solid gameplay wise.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it's likely at all but 2B would be a cool way to start off fighters pass 2, just how Joker was a great surprise. While 2B has been mentioned in speculation I don't think she ever has really been a frontrunner when it comes to people's predictions.

I would be really hyped, Nier Automata is one of my favourite games too.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alternately, thoughts on Emil?
1580786625503.png

He'd be a good representative of both Nier games since he's become the mascot of sorts and would be a good LGBT representative.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Listen, I don't care how much you give a **** about your gameplay gimmicks, but cutting Ike, the BAR NONE most popular character in the entire franchise, one of the few that is universally beloved by both Smash fans and Fire Emblem fans for CORRIN, ROBIN, AND BYLETH, the 3 most divisive main characters in the franchise, is a mistake I'm pretty sure no one will agree with.
The only people that care about that is FE fans. And Smash fans don't care about FE fans. They care about those gameplay gimmicks. Other than the Marth clones, Ike is the least interesting FE character gameplay-wise.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Alternately, thoughts on Emil?
View attachment 260856
He'd be a good representative of both Nier games since he's become the mascot of sorts and would be a good LGBT representative.
2B would probably have priority for being much more popular, sort of like how we got Joker and not Jack Frost.

...That said though we definitely need Emil's song as a track if 2B ever gets in.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I am live in Iowa caucusing for Crash Bandicoot.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Speaking of this, how is the No More Heroes series? Thinking of giving it a shot whenever is comes out. What's the gameplay and all that like?
It's...unusual. In No More Heroes 1 and 2 (and presumably 3) it's mostly a hack and slash where you mow down waves of enemies with your lightsaber and wrestling moves. The boss fights are completely insane with clever ways to read their patterns and defeat them.

Outside of battle it varies from game to game, with the first one being mostly free-roaming tied together with side missions and minigames. The second one has minigames that are retro-themed.

Travis Strikes Again is totally different, a bit of an overhead hack and slash/twin stick slasher. Pretty fun co-op.

Overall it's the tone and social commentary of the games that make them so beloved and fun. They're very funny, completely wild, extremely satirical, and shockingly deep and insightful while being irreverent and wholly unique and unafraid to be super weird. Definitely one of my favorite series', and there's a reason why Travis has always hovered around my most-wanted list since Brawl.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah 2B is like Nier's Joker pretty much. More recent but also far more popular and iconic than any of the characters that came from before.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only people that care about that is FE fans. And Smash fans don't care about FE fans. They care about those gameplay gimmicks. Other than the Marth clones, Ike is the least interesting FE character gameplay-wise.
And you think Smash fans care about gimmicks more? No, they care about characters just as much as they care about how fun they are to play, regardless of whatever gimmick you want to slap on them.

You want a comparison, look at Jigglypuff. Literally the most unique character in the entire game and no one plays her because she's boring as hell to actually play and dies to a light wind. Likewise, how many Corrins do you see? How many people do you see praising the fact that he turns into a dragon? Going to go out on a limb here and say an amount not even remotely close to the people chanting "We Like Ike" and "Roy's Our Boy."

I also want to say that despite being the most bog standard swordsmen in the entire game, Lucina and Chrom are by far the most popular FE characters online, but that's anecdotal and based on my region.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think that’s a definite part of it. Even back then, there were “too many sword” complaints. I believe Robin was chosen over Chrom for the opportunity to include tomes, and that Corrin was included for the opportunity to have a “”manakete”” (I know that’s not exactly the case lol)
that and Chrom was a popular choice in Japan...still wish Chrom could’ve been in more places or only as a fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom