• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, who do you think has a 100% chance of getting in
Katalina. The leaks said she was coming so I must believe she is coming. Hitagi is more creditable than vergerben and she said she was coming so she is coming.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
My main beeth with Byleth is just the fact that our first ever Switch exclusive character in Smash is just an 8th FE rep.

They told Xenoblade 2, ARMS and Astral Chain to get lost while 3H took the glory, that's where most of my bitterness comes from.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hey so... Fighter's Pass Vol. 2 doesn't seem to have an official section on the DLC page yet...

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
My main beeth with Byleth is just the fact that our first ever Switch exclusive character in Smash is just an 8th FE rep.

They told Xenoblade 2, ARMS and Astral Chain to get lost while 3H took the glory, that's where most of my bitterness comes from.

On the topic of underrepresented franchises what about Wii Fit, Duck Hunt, Ice Climber and ROB? They are criminally under represented

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Depends.

Byleth was purely an advertisement since they were chosen before the game even came out.

Only thing to say about this is nothing can be ruled out.
I don’t agree that that’s the motive.

I believe that, like Pokémon, they’re in a position where they can’t possibly add every “main character” that makes sense for Smash Bros.

Other series are easy. Yes, there’s great potential extras to add, but...if a kid picks up a Mario game, you’ll play as Mario, and then you can play as that character in Smash. Same goes for Link, DK, Kirby, Samus, etc.

Fire Emblem doesn’t work that way. Marth isn’t an interesting or recognizable character for someone who has just gotten into Fire Emblem: Three Houses, because he’s not there and isn’t related in any fashion.

I think they accounted for that from the get-go, and had a “reserved spot” for a Fire Emblem newcomer, like Incineroar was for Pokémon. But instead of “using” it right away, they saved it for when the “soon to be” game was happening.

It’s not really an “advertisement” when the game has already sold well. It was just easy to predict it would do well given Awakening, Fates, and Heroes success.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

on the plus side, maybe Splatoon 2 - particularly a certain race from Octo Expansion - has a chance. I still think Rex/Spring Man/Officer Howard had more a mechanics being translated to Smash issue, not a recency issue

D

Deleted member

I'm placing my money again that there will be a Direct within the month. You've got Animal Crossing to hype up. I find it vague that one of Nintendo's big IPs wouldn't get advertised in a big Direct to keep people hyped...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sgt. Cortez! Time to split!

It's time to split fast.gif

I really don’t understand the problem with byleth. I get that there are like 8 characters, but no ones mad about the number of mario or Pokémon characters, and no one was mad when Roy was added as dlc for smash 4, and Lucas and mewtwo for that matter
There are plenty of reasons why smash fans are tired of Fire Emblem.

One of the main problems is variety. Fire Emblem has tons of classes to choose from as well as many weapons to use but the main protagonists are a lord class that always use a sword and they are always the characters chosen to represent the series in Smash Bros. These characters are chosen because they're the most versatile but this leads to characters blending in with each other due to most of them having blue hair and they wield a sword. While Byleth is an attempt to remedy this complaint, the damage was already done when Corrin showed up who at the time was unproven in the west (Which is where all the anime swordfighter complaints come from) and pretty much came at the worst time possible which was when people were hopeful for the Smash ballot (Place where you suggest your favourite characters to be in Smash Bros). Roy was missed because people liked him in Melee. No one expected Fire Emblem to get many more reps after him though.

So yeah, samey designs and Lord protagonists wielding a sword always being chosen first leads to Fire Emblem getting a lot of flack from non-fans.

Then you have characters that play similarly or identical to each other like with Marth. He basically has three characters that are based off of him and they take up half of the cast of Fire Emblem in Smash. These include Roy, Lucina and Chrom. While Roy has been decloned, he still does share similarities to him like his Up aerial, back aerial, dancing blade, counter, etc. but I'd say he's the least offensive of the bunch. Lucina and Chrom are just straight up clones and act as easier versions of Marth and Roy respectively. The only reason they exist in the first place is to increase the roster size so it just fueled the argument that Fire Emblem is full of anime swordfighters.

Well that's what I think anyway. I don't like Fire Emblem myself and it's popularity makes me wish one day it would die again but I think Byleth is okay. Kind of boring but at least the stage is nice to look at.

On the topic of underrepresented franchises what about Wii Fit, Duck Hunt, Ice Climber and ROB? They are criminally under represented
My man R.O.B doesn't even have a stage!

I would love to see a stage based in a living room where fighters fight on a Coffee table and walk on a NES contoller where the NES is playing something like Gyromite or something. Maybe when you stand on the left part of the D-Pad that Gyromite doctor walks left and does other actions when you press other buttons. That's be cool.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm placing my money again that there will be a Direct within the month. You've got Animal Crossing to hype up. I find it vague that one of Nintendo's big IPs wouldn't get advertised in a big Direct to keep people hyped...
we also dunno Xenoblade Definitive's release date, or any new content in detail. the last trailer just teased the previously cut Bionis Shoulder area but needs to show what all is really there, plus any other bonus additions

D

Deleted member

Katalina. The leaks said she was coming so I must believe she is coming. Hitagi is more creditable than vergerben and she said she was coming so she is coming.
Ah yes I sure am enjoying Steve right now
:ultbanjokazooie:
Don’t get me wrong while lots will disagree i think it’s the Chief

but I must remain carful I don’t want my hopes crushed

Last edited by a moderator:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think another interview happened and Suda shot down Travis shortly before more DLC was announced as well
Oh well that sucks

EDIT: Are you talking about the announcement in the September Direct or the one in the January presentation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

we also dunno Xenoblade Definitive's release date, or any new content in detail. the last trailer just teased the previously cut Bionis Shoulder area but needs to show what all is really there, plus any other bonus additions
Been watching chuggaconroy's Xeno1 playthrough and it almost made me wished I finished Xeno2 before I returned my copy.

Here's hoping for XenoX teaser or anything...heard nothing but good **** about it. Killer song, killer game, etc

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is what I'm talking about. I 100% agree with you, but I've had no less than 7 people call me an awful person full of white privilege (I don't think I'd even be considered white by the primary hate groups out there these days) for saying Edelgard is a villain. 3 of them genuinely told me to reexamine my life and morals when I compared her to Walhart.
She basically IS Walhart, and Walhart failed cause we have the number one archetype for Fire Emblem as the "morally 100% white, can't do no wrong" Chrom as the lead character. Chrom's morality wins over Walhart's in the end, as Chrom is able to win a lot of warriors over from the continent of Valm. Edelgard gets her way ONLY because Byleth, who is Sothis incarnate, fully supports them. And then again! This is more because of the human nature of Byleth themselves, not Sothis, and potentially feelings of love and affection towards Edelgard.

Ashnard also felt the best way for a complete social reform was to "simply" kill everyone. Walhart is the same. They first felt that they alone where worthy of the power to decide the fate of the continent. Edelgard is much the same in this regard. Fight established order, which is quite corrupt anyway, by conquering all and becoming a bloodstained monater yourself.

Compare that to Dimitri and Claude if you will. Dimitri, even before becoming a ruler, evnd before becoming an adult, already had sympathy for the people of Duscur. The ones allegedly responsible for the murders of everyone he loved. Dedue's loyalty isn't for no reason, yet the loss also twists him. Understandable. He only becomes a savage once literally everything is taken from him, his country in complete ruins, and able to live on by his strength alone. It's a pretty damn drastic situation.

Claude never fully intended to take responsibility for the Alliance anyway. He didn't have much trust in them, but for the sake of it, he does his very best to establish good will amongst the people for his actual home country. Even willing to sacrifice his life for this (I never could kill him anyway).

They are much closer to the typical Fire Emblem Lords. Especially Dimitri. Edelgard is 100% a villain, you even fight her on HER OWN ROUTE...

Weird they'd mix white privilege with this honestly. Ardestia is the one country in Fodlan which is mostly white, Faerghus at least had "black people" with the lands of Duscur, and the inhabitants of the Sreng region, and the Alliance has Claude as it's leader.

?????????????

Smash Master
I love Xenoblade X. It’s my favorite of the series. It sold the worst, but I am CONVINCED that it was because of the platform. Look out how good that Kickstarter for Wonderful 101 is going now; some say the Kickstarter alone will probably surpass the game’s actual Wii U sales!

D

Deleted member

I think another interview happened and Suda shot down Travis shortly before more DLC was announced as well
If we're even getting a Marvelous rep, I think it'll be along the lines of Valkyrie Drive or Sen-ack!

Smash is for good boys and girls.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I don’t agree that that’s the motive.

I believe that, like Pokémon, they’re in a position where they can’t possibly add every “main character” that makes sense for Smash Bros.

Other series are easy. Yes, there’s great potential extras to add, but...if a kid picks up a Mario game, you’ll play as Mario, and then you can play as that character in Smash. Same goes for Link, DK, Kirby, Samus, etc.

Fire Emblem doesn’t work that way. Marth isn’t an interesting or recognizable character for someone who has just gotten into Fire Emblem: Three Houses, because he’s not there and isn’t related in any fashion.

I think they accounted for that from the get-go, and had a “reserved spot” for a Fire Emblem newcomer, like Incineroar was for Pokémon. But instead of “using” it right away, they saved it for when the “soon to be” game was happening.

It’s not really an “advertisement” when the game has already sold well. It was just easy to predict it would do well given Awakening, Fates, and Heroes success.
I'd say it's both special treatment and an ad.

Getting a reserve spot before your game even come out makes that undeniable.

Being in smash is kind of like a permanent ad in a way. Many people have only started to become aware of certain series due to their representation in smash.

I first heard of Mother, FE and metroid thanks to smash. I'm sure Byleth's inclusion pushed some to try TH, or FE, for the first time too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

To be fair, isn't Fire Emblem a way better established franchise than all those combined? Yeah sure Xenoblade is doing hot, and Rex or Elma should've made it in, but Three Houses is a great quality game and very critically acclaimed.

Byleth might just pave the way for whatever is next to come from Nintendo. Probably a new Pokémon at first, but who knows what's next?

My big question right now is, which Pokémon from Sword and Shield would make the most sense?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love Xenoblade X. It’s my favorite of the series. It sold the worst, but I am CONVINCED that it was because of the platform. Look out how good that Kickstarter for Wonderful 101 is going now; some say the Kickstarter alone will probably surpass the game’s actual Wii U sales!
Wow, we do live in an age wherein the Wii U sales set a new low point for sales of anything really.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really don’t understand the problem with byleth. I get that there are like 8 characters, but no ones mad about the number of mario or Pokémon characters, and no one was mad when Roy was added as dlc for smash 4, and Lucas and mewtwo for that matter
Keep in mind that the past five FE games that aren't remakes have gotten a character in Smash.

It's not the number of characters so much as it is how quickly they're being added. It took years of begging to get a third Metroid and DK character. In the past two Smash games, FE has gotten five more characters seemingly effortlessly, and that comes across as favouritism. Many fans have specifically said they think we have too many FE characters, yet Nintendo added another one anyway.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
To be fair, isn't Fire Emblem a way better established franchise than all those combined? Yeah sure Xenoblade is doing hot, and Rex or Elma should've made it in, but Three Houses is a great quality game and very critically acclaimed.

Byleth might just pave the way for whatever is next to come from Nintendo. Probably a new Pokémon at first, but who knows what's next?

My big question right now is, which Pokémon from Sword and Shield would make the most sense?
Absolutely. “New series” have never become playable in Smash in the same generation. Splatoon had to wait until Ultimate, so this is the same as it ever were.

Fire Emblem was the safest bet since Fates sold really well and Xenoblade X did not. Which is very unfortunate.

Anyways, while I REALLY WANT to say Rillaboom, I think they’re already playing up Cinderace to be the “big thing.”

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
There's going to be a Remake of a Fire Emblem game that's going to release in 2021 and that character will get in Vol 2. Or it will be Alfonse from Fire Emblem Heroes.

There's no certainty with characters getting in unless it's Fire Emblem.
Though Dante might have a better shot than most.

D

Deleted member

There's going to be a Remake of a Fire Emblem game that's going to release in 2021 and that character will get in Vol 2. Or it will be Alfonse from Fire Emblem Heroes.

There's no certainty with characters getting in unless it's Fire Emblem.
Though Dante might have a better shot than most.
I highly doubt that.

I feel like byleth is the only exception for 1st parties as dlc

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Normally it would be a starter final evolution, Rillaboom, Inteleon or Cinderace. (Personally hope it's Inteleon)

Urshifu looks like he has a solid chance if Nintendo/Pokemon Company aim to promote the Expansion DLC this Summer and Fall, I hope it's the Single Strike variation because I like the headband look and is badass.

Either way I personally hope we do get a Gen 8 Pokemon Sword and Shield Rep, But hopeing more for one that caters to my style and taste of Pokemon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why is that?
  • Spring Man - ARMS involves super long distance punches. It's balanced in ARMS, not so much in Smash. Spring Man would have CRAZY grab range or recovery, most likely. (haven't actually played ARMS so don't take this too much to heart)
  • Rex - perhaps Sakurai couldn't decide to have the Blade be in the background like PT or closeby like Nana, and if the latter, what would happen if the Blade gets KOd or even just Rex KOd leaving the Blade behind? Would Rex even switch Blades and if so, which would he use? And also, same model but different movesets is something I'm pretty sure hasn't been done yet. The three PT Pokemon have different movesets AND different models. (Not counting 4’s Custom moves obviously)
  • Officer Howard - this I can talk with certainty as I've played Astral Chain enough to be acquainted with its battle system. Howard would be another duo character like Rex and (whatever Blade here) but they operate a little more... complex. While the Blade passes their weapon to Rex, and occasionally receives it back for special attacks, Howard and their Legion operate in unison. You control both Howard AND their Legion, one such feature being the chain ability, where Howard and the Legion loop around an enemy, binding it in their chains. They can even extend their chain to trip up large enemies. That... much as I love Astral Chain, if I were Sakurai I wouldn't know where to begin when it came to translating that to Smash
this is all just my opinion of course, but I feel like it's all a lot more complex than it looks.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm...quite divided.

To speak for those memetic Rillaboom supporters, Charmander got in as a Spirit despite us already having Charizard.
But Charizard has been an veteran since Brawl. Rillaboom nor any Gen 8 has yet to have been in Smash besides an Spirit Event since currently.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
:ultbanjokazooie:

Don’t get me wrong while lots will disagree i think it’s the Chief

but I must remain carful I don’t want my hopes crushed
Ah yes I sure am enjoying the sarcasm right now

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Looking at the last three Pokemon that were added, I think Sakurai is looking for Pokemon that would are easy to picture in a fast-paced fighting game. We have a martial artist, a ninja, and a wrestler. He also seems to favor Pokemon who are promoted frequently by Game Freak.

Gen 8 is still hazy. Inteleon is the only starter with a clear fighting theme, but Cinderace seems to be the favorite. Rillaboom doesn't seem to have either, but of course fans support him for being a grass type. Zacian and Zamazenta also have a fighting theme, but a lot of people don't think they're likely because of that Spirit. There's also Urshifu, but it's so new that it's hard to say if Sakurai would go for it; plus, we don't know to what extent it'll be promoted.

Gen 8 Pokemon are deconfirmed. Same reason as Resident Evil and Astral Chain.
Please don't. We don't need another debate.

D

Deleted member

But Charizard has been an veteran since Brawl. Rillaboom nor any Gen 8 has yet to have been in Smash besides an Spirit Event since currently.
Hmm...that's quite a point you have there. So umm...yeah. Gen 8 deconfirmed for now at least.

I don't exactly wanna place my bets on Steve since even if Vergeben didn't get it right that we will get Minecraft content like...so far...

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Here's the thing, DLC was finalized before Three Houses released. There was no telling that Three Houses would've been received well, Sakurai had to play an early copy just to get an idea of what to do with that character. Byleth's inclusion had nothing to do with the quality of Three Houses, all that matter was it was a Fire Emblem game.

Plus Sakurai said relevancy doesn't matter, only if the character is fun. But it's not like that matters anymore, Byleth ain't paving the way for any other character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom