• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That's all for now, kids... Same fat time, same fat channel.

But yeah, basically, I started reading replies about some guy named Fatman, so I responded to them like a Batman parody. I'm as cluelesas you are, but it I got a laugh out of it at least.
You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine.

Here's to Amaterasu, Elma, Kat, and Sakura.

Just hope they add in Amaterasu in the new Marvel vs Capcom game this time, it's one of the (admittedly petty) reasons I didn't get Infinite. That, and game was as barebones as a turkey on Thanksgiving.
IMO Infinite was like what KoF XII was. We then got XIII which was faaarrr more stellar than XII will ever be. Infinite is an obvious beta and I hope Capcom gets their **** together to make an actual game.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If FP5 is revealed before the VGAs, then I think there won't be any announcements at the VGAs. Rather, the 1st post-Fighter's Pass character will be revealed in the January/February Direct.
They seem to love showing their fighters off when they are much more completed. Joker was only announced in the first pass, banjo and Hero were given gameplay trailers in their first appearance, and Terry was shown up extremely soon for a character that barely looked finished in his trailer. The final fighter might be in their finishing stages and be released somewhere in the holidays.

SKX31

Smash Master
Another another update (Links to previous posts: SMB - 3 - World):

The Japanese version is used here. And no, still no NSO talk. At all.

*Looks again at my 20 dollars a year.*

*Bruh intensifies.*

God damnit Nintendo.

It's most likely a countdown. And it's counting down faster than I thought at first. *Admits that I was off on the iQue too.*

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If that is so, then Fighter5 can safely be a niche character a la Reimu, then they will reserve the hype character for Season 2. Because going by my logic, you should reserve said hype character for a major event where everyone is watching.
Well....
Arguably, the two hypest characters ever, Sonic and Cloud were revealed randomly out of nowhere.
I was an 11/12 year old kid checking the Brawl website every day before school, and sometimes the middle of the night if I couldn't sleep. And I VIVIDLY remember the Sonic reveal just being a random site update.
And Cloud was in a random Smash Direct.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Can someone good at photoshop make me those fighter pass things with all the characters. I suck at photoshop but would love one as my sig.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If that is so, then Fighter5 can safely be a niche character a la Reimu, then they will reserve the hype character for Season 2. Because going by my logic, you should reserve said hype character for a major event where everyone is watching.
It's not a matter of "reserving" a character; they can base DLC 7 on what came before, but they can't predicate who FP5 is based on what comes after, since the Pass was locked-in before further characters decided. Not unless they switched the order, but that seems unlikely from a logistical perspective.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Previously on Fatman (Now w/ Pictures!):

I wish I knew, Commissioner Jordan. But surely Fatman is a myth? There's enough trouble in our city, so I also avoid the leaker scene. Some call Fatman a hero, but I say he's a no good vigilante.

What's a kid like you reading the Brotham City Times for?! That sensational garbage. Anyway, you're a good kid, Rick Drayson, so a word of advice: that Fatman is bad news. He doesn't speak much, if he's even real at all, but his word is treated like gospel. There's a certain group that hang out over at old Geno's place downtown that formed a Fatman cult of some kind. Great, like we needed more vigilantes recklessly tearing up our city. It's all crazy I tell ya! Gone are the days of open and shut cases. When, if ever was Fatman right? Never, I say. Never. Don't listen to what the papers have to say, kid. This gal's been on the force almost as long as Commissioner Jordan himself.

Later that day...

And now for Part 3: I Am Fatman

Deuce?! Did you just refer to me as Deuce, Alfredo? In my own workout studio? The man they know as world renowned Fitness Instructor Deuce Payne is a charade. Deuce Payne ceased to exist the day his parents died in that drive-thru car crash. Survivors guilt caused that orphan boy to eat his weight in comfort food thrice over. He spent years developing an extreme workout regime to take all of it off. In doing so, that boy became a man who mastered the ultimate exercise routine. Unbeknownst to the rest of the world, when sped up, said exercise is also the deadliest martial art on the planet. That man may have shed the pounds, Alfredo, but the weight of his parent's death will never go away. That is why I don the Fatsuit and fight evil one calorie at a time. I am vengeance. I am chubby. I. Am. Fatman!

That's all for now, kids... Same fat time, same fat channel.

But yeah, basically, I started reading replies about some guy named Fatman, so I responded to them like a Batman parody. I'm as clueless you are, but it I got a laugh out of it at least.
You know he’s on Smashboards, right? And used to be a mod, right? Just look for the Popeye Sign.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Guys I think we are gonna get an announcement of sorts tomorrow or the next day, and I not that then either December 7th or TGA
TBH I'm still expecting something in early January. December 7th likely won't happen because Nintendo hasn't really lined things up like that for Ultimate so far. VGA's I could see but I'm still not completely sold on it because of the same reasoning before. I know if I was doing the reveals I'd pick one of those two dates assuming everything is ready but Nintendo seems pretty content to just do it whenever.

Plank08

Smash Lord
TBH I'm still expecting something in early January. December 7th likely won't happen because Nintendo hasn't really lined things up like that for Ultimate so far. VGA's I could see but I'm still not completely sold on it because of the same reasoning before. I know if I was doing the reveals I'd pick one of those two dates assuming everything is ready but Nintendo seems pretty content to just do it whenever.
Nintendo’s moving so fast I wouldn’t be surprised, I’m not getting my hopes up since all the most likely candidates I don’t care for

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, the hypest reveal was Sonic. Probably won't ever be beat. Assuming hype corresponds to excitement and positivity.

Snake's reveal was huge for Smash, and a lot of people loved it, but let's not forget Snake was a divisive character until Cloud, Ryu, and Bayo showed up and then people were like "eh I guess Snake isn't that ill-fitting anymore".

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, the hypest reveal was Sonic. Probably won't ever be beat. Assuming hype corresponds to excitement and positivity.

Snake's reveal was huge for Smash, and a lot of people loved it, but let's not forget Snake was a divisive character until Cloud, Ryu, and Bayo showed up and then people were like "eh I guess Snake isn't that ill-fitting anymore".
Yea. I feel like an old dude here being closer to 30 than 20 now.
But for all the younger fans, or older fans newer to Smash Bros., I can absolutely confirm that there was no internet breaking moment greater than Sonic's reveal for Brawl.
And we were getting worried, as it's tentative release date was December 3rd (it got delayed, but this was the planned release date at that time), and Sonic was revealed the last week of October.
And what did Nintendo do to hype up Sonic's reveal?
Not a goddamn thing. Guess good news spreads itself.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Gonna preface this with the obvious notes
1. FatMan is not necessarily a leaker, but he is in circles where info gets leaked so it's not 100% true or false

2. Let's not overreact to anything here. Soon isn't specific and we don't know if that's tomorrow, December 7th, the VGA, or some other arbitrary date.

3. I do not know what the 2nd line is referring too but I'm assuming it's about the MvC and MvDC rumors

View attachment 247436View attachment 247437View attachment 247438View attachment 247439
MvC4??? MvDC???

Why have I not heard about these rumours before

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's weird because, despite knowing how huge Sonic is in gaming and knowing how big the Nintendo/Sega rivarly was back in the day, I don't recall being THAT mindblown by Sonic's reveal in Brawl. It probably just boiled down to me not being a Sonic fan and the fact the Snake already broke the barrier for third parties.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yea. I feel like an old dude here being closer to 30 than 20 now.
But for all the younger fans, or older fans newer to Smash Bros., I can absolutely confirm that there was no internet breaking moment greater than Sonic's reveal for Brawl.
And we were getting worried, as it's tentative release date was December 3rd (it got delayed, but this was the planned release date at that time), and Sonic was revealed the last week of October.
And what did Nintendo do to hype up Sonic's reveal?
Not a goddamn thing. Guess good news spreads itself.
Well Nintendo didn't do Directs back then, or really announce much outside E3. And if it was outside E3, it'd usually just be a PR release. Though they did still make a trailer with copious amounts of Crush 40, and I remember that making the rounds. Like on IGN and Gametrailers and whatnot.

But people were fully anticipating most of the hidden characters to go unrevealed officially until post-launch. It wasn't like Ultimate where we knew we'd know the full (base) roster going in. I recall when people started getting their hands on Japanese copies, many were still expecting that third third-party character Sakurai had (sort of) floated. Mega Man or Bomberman or that Geno kid or whoever.

So I think people would've still been holding their breath for Sonic until the bitter end. Which in those days was after the rumours of "secret secret" characters had died down.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I got you fam. Your very own echo pass.
I added Hilda and Octoling just cause.
If I'm limited to five, then my Echo pass would be Shadow the Hedgehog, Ms. Pac-Man, Proto Man, Zack Fair, and Jeanne.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Easy Echo pass is Dixie, Shadow, Octoling, Raiden (MGS), and Black Shadow.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dixie and Raiden most certainly should not be Echoes.
Neither do half of the Echoes in-game but look where we are. We live in a society, Ben, our hopes don't match our inevitable disappointment. :nifty: I'm just being realistic. Dixie and Raiden (assuming MGS2) are easy as pie to convert into stupid baby clones, but an Echo pass makes no sense if they have literal months to create 5 characters on a yearly basis.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most likely Candidates:
Dark souls
Any other Bamco rep
Capcom reps
Idk
Sony reps
Dark souls is pretty sketchy, as they have no evidence to back it up...yet.

Bamco and Capcom are pretty much the talk of town, so yeah. My most wanteds are both from these companies, though there is quite the competition surrounding them.

Just...pray that Sony wins that private Smash tournament they held.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just...pray that Sony wins that private Smash tournament they held.
you say that like the company's are winning to have a rep in smash

oh no, what is this obscure japanese cooking company gonna bring to the tabl-

1574323842818.png

oh god oh ****

D

Deleted member

you say that like the company's are winning to have a rep in smash

oh no, what is this obscure japanese cooking company gonna bring to the tabl-

View attachment 247479

oh god oh ****
*chuckles*

Female? Check.
Interesting? Check.
Can bring something entirely new to Smash rosters? Check.
Relevant? Sometimes, but still, check.
Unexpected pick? Jitomate Kudesai.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dixie merely holds a similar skeleton that can be worked off of Diddy, even if she has radically different abilities and moves at her disposal.

Raiden, plot-wise, is VR trained to just be Snake 2.0, even though he eventually becomes the sword-wielding crazy man cyborg ninja we see today. He could obviously be his own character, but it fits the bill just enough to pass.

Dark Samus merely holds a similar skeleton that can be worked off of Samus, even if she has radically different abilities and moves at her disposal.

Lucina, plot-wise, is disguised as Marth because she doesn't even exist when she goes back in time, even though she becomes her own fleshed-out character with a unique swordplay style Chrom taught her. She could obviously be her own character, but it fits the bill just enough to pass.

Ben Holt Ben Holt I don't mean to say that these characters deserve such cruel fates of being clones, because no character deserves that end of the line. I'm just presenting a scenario that's realistic and something we shouldn't be surprised about in my eyes. Obviously, since it's the DLC stage, Echoes are unlikely. Seeing people actually wanting more Echoes is just astounding though.

Her final smash is sueing PETA and mining cryptocurrency, she'll break the meta
No one does it better than Mama.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Dixie merely holds a similar skeleton that can be worked off of Diddy, even if she has radically different abilities and moves at her disposal.

Raiden, plot-wise, is VR trained to just be Snake 2.0, even though he eventually becomes the sword-wielding crazy man cyborg ninja we see today. He could obviously be his own character, but it fits the bill just enough to pass.

Dark Samus merely holds a similar skeleton that can be worked off of Samus, even if she has radically different abilities and moves at her disposal.

Lucina, plot-wise, is disguised as Marth because she doesn't even exist when she goes back in time, even though she becomes her own fleshed-out character with a unique swordplay style Chrom taught her. She could obviously be her own character, but it fits the bill just enough to pass.

Ben Holt Ben Holt I don't mean to say that these characters deserve such cruel fates of being clones, because no character deserves that end of the line. I'm just presenting a scenario that's realistic and something we shouldn't be surprised about in my eyes. Obviously, since it's the DLC stage, Echoes are unlikely. Seeing people actually wanting more Echoes is just astounding though.

No one does it better than Mama.
I kinda expect them to make potential echos, such as Octolings, drastically different by adjusting moves and frame data. It’s like how Ken is an echo of Ryu but not really.

D

Deleted member

Ben Holt Ben Holt Ben Holt Ben Holt I don't mean to say that these characters deserve such cruel fates of being clones, because no character deserves that end of the line. I'm just presenting a scenario that's realistic and something we shouldn't be surprised about in my eyes.
Agree. They can just change some attributes to set them apart from their designated echo characters. It can range from not being too unique (Samus and DS) to completely unique (Ryu and Ken).

Ben Holt Ben Holt In other words, making echoes is easier done when making additional content. One can declone them in later games, but considering the situation we're in, that is the closest thing to do. I know you're passionate about seeing them as unique characters, but honestly that's the cheapest alternative.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just posted this in another thread, but I guess it's relevant here too:
Every clone/semi-clone is capable of being original. In almost every case, clones are made clones because they can work as a clone, not because they can't work as unique. No one is saying it's the ideal way to represent them. Idk, except maybe Ken.

With a few alterations, Dixie would work as a clone.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Only person I can't see escaping the clone realm is Richter. He and Simon share moves between each other from each of their own respective games, there's not much in ways of changing them to be radically different unless they gave him different projectiles like the knife/bible instead of the ax/cross.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I legitimately thought Dark Samus had a good chance of getting in as a cool rushdown offensive semiclone of Samus using weird animations and energy blasts and clones and stuff.

What a fool I was...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
image.gif
image.gif
image.gif

Imagine if they gave Richter this kind of ****. If you hated the Belmonts now, you have no idea how much worse it could get.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I legitimately thought Dark Samus had a good chance of getting in as a cool rushdown offensive semiclone of Samus using weird animations and energy blasts and clones and stuff.

What a fool I was...
They take one of the coolest Metroids in Metroid and they made her a reskin for a mediocre at best smash design. My god, it makes me happy that Shadow isn’t a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom