• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Don't let Agumon distract you from the fact that this mofo is an indisputable video game character.

Oh my god this. I want this.

With how the Medabots series usually plays there are tons of possibilities for a great moveset. Also put Mr referee in the game.

D

Deleted member

Imagine: the next fighters revealed are Challenger Pack 1-4 again. Like, we never get to the number five and just advance to the next season without actually finishing the FP.
Fighters Pass 5 is literally just Wave 2 of DLC

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually get an "Echo Fighters Pass". The Echo Fighter concept was introduced as a way to squeeze in a few extra characters into the base roster, but considering how well-received it was, I could see the developers thinking they could squeeze in even more with DLC.

How an Echo Fighters Pass would be handled is anyone's guess, but here's how I think it should be handled...
  • The Pass itself and individual characters are all cheaper than a regular Fighters Pass with unique characters.
  • None of the characters in the Pass come with stages, just extra spirits and music tracks.
  • The characters all have at least some sort of noticeable gameplay difference to separate them from their base character. Basically, they're more Chrom and Ken, less Daisy and Richter.
  • No alternate versions of a character. Dry Bowser, Gooigi, OOT/TP Link and Zelda, female Hero... none of those types of characters. It would be like Mario Kart constantly adding metal and baby versions of characters. Certainly not the path I'd want Smash to go down.
As for who would be in the Pass... again, anyone's guess, but I can offer my personal picks...
Alice bringing in even more KOF music (like Follow Me) would be spectacular. Fools out here wanting Fatal Cutie Terry when the true perfect female Terry exists already.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
DLC 5 is the friends we made along the way
Wait a minute...Friends are made in Smash speculation? I thought Smash speculation was an intense battlefield where support threads call mean names in a fight for supremacy.

And then Sakurai adds none of those characters from the popular threads and everyone looks visibly confused before a shouting match about the confirmed character begins.

SKX31

Smash Master
Wait a minute...Friends are made in Smash speculation? I thought Smash speculation was an intense battlefield where support threads call mean names in a fight for supremacy.

And then Sakurai adds none of those characters from the popular threads and everyone looks visibly confused before a shouting match about the confirmed character begins.
Smash Speculation. Smash Speculation never changes.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Smash Speculation. Smash Speculation never changes.
Smash Speculation... has changed. It's no longer about characters, stages, or items. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by forum posters and leakers. Smash Speculation, and its consumption of free time, has become a well-oiled machine.

Smash Speculation has changed.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Smash Speculation... has changed. It's no longer about characters, stages, or items. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by forum posters and leakers. Smash Speculation, and its consumption of free time, has become a well-oiled machine.

Smash Speculation has changed.
Will this end in conspiracies to control the flow of information in Smashboards, Google and other companies creating Private Smash Speculation Companies to engage in Smash Speculation, and "Nanomachines, son!"?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Regardless of who is revealed to be fighter #5, someone out there in this world is still going to be upset.

You just can't please everyone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Regardless of who is revealed to be fighter #5, someone out there in this world is still going to be upset.

That's precisely why Sakurai should please the fans who actually matter, aka people who want random dead characters from their childhood.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alice bringing in even more KOF music (like Follow Me) would be spectacular. Fools out here wanting Fatal Cutie Terry when the true perfect female Terry exists already.
I always wondered why they bothered with Fatal Cutie when Alice was already meant to be a girl Terry.

However, I think Rock would be the better Terry echo because Alice is meant to copy Andy and Joe alongside Terry, and they all practice different martial arts, while Rock copies Terry and Geese who both practice Hakkyokuseiken.

D

Deleted member

Fighter 5 could literally be God descending from the heavens to end world hunger and cancer, and someone would still complain.

Night Gale

Smash Ace

For the love of god I want them to at least pacify LBV. That and I also believe that the roster could honestly add another bad b**** amongst its ranks.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That's precisely why Sakurai should please the fans who actually matter, aka people who want random dead characters from their childhood.
B-b-but I'm actively hoping for Geno, too...

For the love of god I want them to at least pacify LBV. That and I also believe that the roster could honestly add another bad b**** rn.
I may have to utilize the ignore feature for the first time if fighter #5 adds to the sausage fest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Third party characters are nice, but I just want the second pass to be a return to the Nintendo characters that aren't in. There are plenty of characters who are still needed.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Third party characters are nice, but I just want the second pass to be a return to the Nintendo characters that aren't in. There are plenty of characters who are still needed.
I think Post-Pass characters are probably gonna be a mix. First-party characters will be included, but we'll still be getting a couple third-parties with them.

D

Deleted member

I think Post-Pass characters are probably gonna be a mix. First-party characters will be included, but we'll still be getting a couple third-parties with them.
I could settle for that lol. If I were to pick only one 1st party game to get another character, it'd be Zelda. it seems such a shame that for such a big series, all it has are 3 different Links (which all play pretty similarly to one another), Princess Zelda, Ganon and Shiek (who is so forgettable that I didn't remember her till I was about to press 'post reply')

KatKit

Smash Lord
I pray they make it in and you never have to use it, but when this is all said and done, KC Comicsgives y'all permission to post this image in the event that a character you support doesn't make it in.

D

Deleted member

I pray they make it in and you never have to use it, but when this is all said and done, KC Comicsgives y'all permission to post this image in the event that a character you support doesn't make it in.

The "To Be Continued!" is a mood.

Last edited by a moderator:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The current Fighters Pass has all the characters coming with their own stages, each based on their home series.

Do you think the post-Pass characters will be the same, with 5 characters and 5 relevant stages? Or do you think it will handled differently, such as 5 characters and just one or two unrelated stages?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The current Fighters Pass has all the characters coming with their own stages, each based on their home series.

Do you think the post-Pass characters will be the same, with 5 characters and 5 relevant stages? Or do you think it will handled differently, such as 5 characters and just one or two unrelated stages?
The music (and sometimes stages) are a particular highlight, so I'd hope that would continue.

If they start repeating series, I could it going either way.
A new FF rep would still offer a lot in terms of stage and music.
A new SNK rep has much more limited options in terms of music (since they raided the vault), but still a lot of stage options.
A new Mario/Metroid/whatever rep still has a lot of potential on either front, but it wouldn't feel 'necessary' given what we do have already...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

If we get Elma, Xenoblade X stage or riot

I can see some fighters coming with just music tho, esp if they’re from already represented series

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I'd say if there are Nintendo characters from existing franchises, then just a character only. I think stages would be kept for new Nintendo IPs or third party characters so their character has a stage to represent their series.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think it's going to be same with Smash 4.

Characters from new franchises will get new stages. Others won't.

SKX31

Smash Master
Could settle for that too, but I'm getting the hunch that it'll continue to be third-party dominated.

Most of my most-wanted are third parties, so that might explain the angle, but there were probably more than 5 third party companies who were interested in a Smash spot. Maybe much more than 5. It's a very difficult prospect to sell first-party characters as DLC unless Nintendo and Sakurai are sure they will be well recieved.

I don't think the position is helped by companies related to ones already in. Tencent being a prime example: not only since the Chinese Switch launch is coming very soon, but also because Tencent's also cooperated pretty heavily with SNK. I would not be surprised if Tencent wants one of their own (LoL) into Smash Post-Pass.

(Tencent doesn't own SNK, but have published several of SNK's mobile efforts such as the SamSho mobile MMORPG)

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Probably depends on who the character is. New 3rd party characters will probably get the same treatment as before. 1st party characters it probably depends. I doubt someone like Bandanna Dee would get a stage but Edelgard or a Gen 8 Pokemon could because there would be more to use there.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think we'll either get an announcement of a Second Pass at TGA or we won't get a "Pass 2" and it will all be released separately.

Honestly, seeing two characters at TGA wouldn't surprise me. They did it for E3 and the next biggest thing that isn't E3 is, you guessed it, TGA.

D

Deleted member

I think we'll either get an announcement of a Second Pass at TGA or we won't get a "Pass 2" and it will all be released separately.

Honestly, seeing two characters at TGA wouldn't surprise me. They did it for E3 and the next biggest thing that isn't E3 is, you guessed it, TGA.
If it's two fighters revealed, I could imagine it being either of these scenarios:
A) 5th fighter revealed + first new DLC fighter for wave 2
B) 5th fighter revealed + bonus character for purchasing Fighter's Pass 2

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Dunno, having two characters at TGA would take up a lot of time. I mean, most people watch it for the announcements, but...

If we don't see anything until December 7, I think we're indeed getting CP5 at the VGAs. I really don't see them waiting for a January Direct or a February shadowdrop. In that case, we'll probably get more information on the next season when the last Pass fighter's dedicated presentation drops.

blackghost

Smash Champion
smash is not the only thing nintendo has to show for TGA.metriod prime 4 and bayonetta3will also be shown. not to mention any other reveals nintneod might have.
so no i dont think we will get two characters

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
smash is not the only thing nintendo has to show for TGA.metriod prime 4 and bayonetta3will also be shown. not to mention any other reveals nintneod might have.
so no i dont think we will get two characters
Prime 4 just restarted development this year so it's a safe prediction that we're unlikely to receive any significant updates on it until next year at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom