• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Marvel vs. DC would be amazing, but I do not think Disney and WB would ever play nice, so that's dubious as ****...

As far as 'Surprising Reveals' that would blow open discussions without being something as extreme as Goku?
Miku. "Not a game character", but "Entertainment Software", so I'll allow it. >_>

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Marvel vs Capcom 4? Great, just put my baes Morrigan and Felicia and it's an okay deal for me. Marvel VS DC?
Morrigan's a lock for this hypothetical game. The rest of the Darkstalkers will appear based upon what the developers are feeling at the moment.

(Personally I hope they don't add Felicia because nudity makes me uncomfortable.)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Marvel vs. DC would be amazing, but I do not think Disney and WB would ever play nice, so that's dubious as ****...
We did get Who Framed Roger Rabbit all those years ago.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yes but that was during a different time. Doubt anything like that could be achieved today.
You gotta believe.

There's at least people from DC/WB up for it, wanting to make a JLA vs Avengers animated movie.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Smash DLC Speculation in 2018 - Spring Man, Rex/Pyra... deconfirmations hit, then we have Eight Gen Pokemon, Three Houses, Sylux, Porky, and Adeleine...

Smash DLC Speculation in 2019 - Seriously considering Master Chief and Gordon Freeman in an unironic way.

Look at how far we've come lol.
I find it very funny that we went from the fighters pass characters being promotional picks that serve as promotion and shilling ala :ultcorrin:, to suddenly talking about Gordon Freeman, Master Chief, Ezio, and Sony reps in general. Chances are speculation could be even more absurd in 2020.

D

Deleted member

Morrigan's a lock for this hypothetical game. The rest of the Darkstalkers will appear based upon what the developers are feeling at the moment.

(Personally I hope they don't add Felicia because nudity makes me uncomfortable.)
Well, at least you got MvC1 and MvCI that didn't have Felicia.

I'm hoping that this new game could fix the ****ty gender ratio that MvCI had. Is the Fox ban still in effect? Disney bought the company anyway, so I think the X-Men can finally get their ****ing stage back.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You're more likely to see sharks beginning to evolve flying then you'll ever see an DC vs. Marvel game.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Now if that leak is true, then the fighter pass contains a wild card, a legend, the iconic duo from N64 that now belong to a rival console company, a fighter that innovated the fighting genre, and a pc icon.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

Felicia is just the poor man's Cham Cham anyway, so get some SNK guests in there.
Lord knows they'd be up for it. >_>

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gonna preface this with the obvious notes
1. FatMan is not necessarily a leaker, but he is in circles where info gets leaked so it's not 100% true or false

2. Let's not overreact to anything here. Soon isn't specific and we don't know if that's tomorrow, December 7th, the VGA, or some other arbitrary date.

3. I do not know what the 2nd line is referring too but I'm assuming it's about the MvC and MvDC rumors

View attachment 247436View attachment 247437View attachment 247438View attachment 247439
>MvC4
Oh **** fighter 5 I want to hear more about this
Inject the Mahvel straight into my veins Fatman

D

Deleted member

Now if that leak is true, then the fighter pass contains a wild card, a legend, the iconic duo from N64 that now belong to a rival console company, a fighter that innovated the fighting genre, and a pc icon.
We don't even know if he's the final pass character for God's sake. He could be post-pass for all we know.

Felicia is just the poor man's Cham Cham anyway, so get some SNK guests in there.
Lord knows they'd be up for it. >_>
SNK likes sticking their stuff into everything nowadays lol

Kyo, or Athena would be reasonable picks. They have yet to appear in a crossover game anyway. Who would want to do Kyo's Rekka combos in the air? Or relive the ol' days of 2002 and watch as your opponent's ears grate over constant "PSYCHO BALL".

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Gonna preface this with the obvious notes
1. FatMan is not necessarily a leaker, but he is in circles where info gets leaked so it's not 100% true or false

2. Let's not overreact to anything here. Soon isn't specific and we don't know if that's tomorrow, December 7th, the VGA, or some other arbitrary date.

3. I do not know what the 2nd line is referring too but I'm assuming it's about the MvC and MvDC rumors

View attachment 247436View attachment 247437View attachment 247438View attachment 247439
Yeah, I have too much doubts on this. This sounds too much like a piggyback to what Vergeben said a few months ago regarding MvC,

Also, Marvel vs DC? That's a MUGEN dream (one that can't be accomplished due to the questionable quality of many Marvel and DC characters, but that's beneath the point), I can't see becoming a reality.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I have too much doubts on this. This sounds too much like a piggyback to what Vergeben said a few months ago regarding MvC,

Also, Marvel vs DC? That's a MUGEN dream (one that can't be accomplished due to the questionable quality of many Marvel and DC characters, but that's beneath the point), I can't see becoming a reality.
Can you reiterate what Verge said about MvC for me?

MUGEN DC characters have never been at the best crisp quality affordable. You could use Injustice resources, but I don';t know if they can translate to the game engine's 2d framework.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
We don't even know if he's the final pass character for God's sake. He could be post-pass for all we know.

SNK likes sticking their stuff into everything nowadays lol

Kyo, or Athena would be reasonable picks. They have yet to appear in a crossover game anyway. Who would want to do Kyo's Rekka combos in the air? Or relive the ol' days of 2002 and watch as your opponent's ears grate over constant "PSYCHO BALL".
Technically Athena got a skin in Mobile Legends (and several variations of her outfit in PSO2), so she has been making the rounds, just not in the capacity I'd obviously prefer.
Cham Cham is a fever dream, sure, but hopefully Mina starts to be seen as a realistic crossover choice since she did win 1st in the DLC vote for the new SamSho game (and is coming next year).

D

Deleted member

Let's keep Vs. series discussion to the general Gaming board or Social thread please and thank you.

https://smashboards.com/forums/gaming.17/
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-social-thread.484266/
Ok, with that out of the way, next!

Technically Athena got a skin in Mobile Legends (and several variations of her outfit in PSO2), so she has been making the rounds, just not in the capacity I'd obviously prefer.
Cham Cham is a fever dream, sure, but hopefully Mina starts to be seen as a realistic crossover choice since she did win 1st in the DLC vote for the new SamSho game (and is coming next year).
IKR because I actually play ML (the very fact that my avatar is a character in that game). But ever since Smash, I believe teh stigma of "SNK does not reuse guests" is pretty much a 50-50.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I liked the direction the thread was going only because Fatman was brought up yet again, and I'm lowkey ready to post part 3 of that parody. But no... it has to happen organically. I gotta be patient. Timing is everything. Carry on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Could someone explain to me the significance of Jon Here from Gamexplain's otter posting? I don't really understand if it's some sort of tease for something Nintendo related or just him actually wanting to post otters for fun.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Could someone explain to me the significance of Jon Here from Gamexplain's otter posting? I don't really understand if it's some sort of tease for something Nintendo related or just him actually wanting to post otters for fun.
Everytime something is about to be revealed or something hype is coming, he tweets an otter.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
He does it one-to-two days before a major Nintendo announcement.

Something is probably happening soon.

D

Deleted member

Something usually gets revealed when he tweets about otters. Might take a week or two.

I liked the direction the thread was going only because Fatman was brought up yet again, and I'm lowkey ready to post part 3 of that parody. But no... it has to happen organically. I gotta be patient. Timing is everything. Carry on.
I don't know what's going on, but I like the anime foreshadowing in this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Everytime something is about to be revealed or something hype is coming, he tweets an otter.

Something usually gets revealed when he tweets about otters. Might take a week or two.
Got any examples before I head to bed? I'm curious to the timeframe from then to the reveals (but if a Nintendo related reveal does happen by the time I'm sleeping, then I guess that's 1).

D

Deleted member

One to two days?

Hmm...since time flies differently in my place...what could that mean for me? Will I get the announcement earlier, or what?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Jon always posts an otter gif like a week or so before major Nintendo news like a general direct.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If this is true, I shall scream, "hallelujah" in Metallica.
"HELL YEA!! OOH OOH YEA!!"

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I guess people are saying the timeframe for Jon's teases are longer - My bad, didn't mean to spread misinfo.

But yeah, regardless, interesting development for sure. Guess we'll see what happens.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I guess people are saying the timeframe for Jon's teases are longer - My bad, didn't mean to spread misinfo.

But yeah, regardless, interesting development for sure. Guess we'll see what happens.
My gut was telling me that we'd get a Nintendo Direct before TGA.
Now let's see if:
1. It's true.
2. We get Fighter 5.

My guess is yes and yes, as I think TGA will officially announce Fighter's Pass 2.

D

Deleted member

Jon always posts an otter gif like a week or so before major Nintendo news like a general direct.
The one time I remember was when he posted an otter like a week or two before the February direct. Don't have the link on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

My gut was telling me that we'd get a Nintendo Direct before TGA.
Now let's see if:
1. It's true.
2. We get Fighter 5.

My guess is yes and yes, as I think TGA will officially announce Fighter's Pass 2.
If that is so, then Fighter5 can safely be a niche character a la Reimu, then they will reserve the hype character for Season 2. Because going by my logic, you should reserve said hype character for a major event where everyone is watching.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Most people who aren't Fire Emblem fans don't seem to realize that we'd swap out Corrin for a Three Houses rep if we could. We'd swap out Corrin for a lot of other options, really.

(Okay, maybe not "we", but I know I certainly would.)
Same, except I'm not a huge Fire Emblem fan except for character design and music. And I know most of the voice actors. (One of my good friends loves FE so I'm not naive with the franchise)

The only good thing Corrin brought was dragon fun stuff. Otherwise, Corrin is the main catalyst for any Fire Emblem salt in the community, and Sakurai didnt even like the idea initially. And it's extra painful because there are so many fighter classes in the series and there's not even something like an axe user.

Within the lore of the series this is technically true, but outside of it and from the perspective of Smash and just the series as a whole Link can be seen as a singular entity...and really this could easily be reflected in Smash if they wanted...as it's not like the majority of Link's moveset is true to just whatever incarnation it happens to be as the downward thrust and upward thrust were inspired by Zelda 2 despite debuting with OOT Link...and while boomerangs exist in BOTW I wouldn't say they're prominent enough to really feel like they fit into the moveset if the incarnation they're using is BOTW...and it never made sense that Adult OOT Link had a boomerang and child OOT Link had the fairy bow and OOT hookshot. Basically I think they could get away with just one Link...make his moveset and amalgamation of all incarnations and give him different incarnations as alts.

Also get rid of Sheik or base her solely on OOT...she's not relevant to Zelda anymore but if they're gonna keep her around at least try to stay true to the character as opposed to continuing to make her this weird anomaly.
Really, even if you dont want Young Link, there should at least be Adult and Toon Link. The body proportions are way too different and there are enough Zelda games that solely use the toon style, namely handhelds after WW and any multiplayer game. There certainly could be some added way to change Toon a bit more, but it is warranted enough. Plus, if they're all reincarnations, than theres bound to be things you pick up on from your last life.

With Pit asking if there's a new timeline, I feel like Sheik is going to get reinvented soon somehow. Maybe Sakurai heard some juicy gossip.

I find it funny that Sheik is "based off of the Sheikah in BoTW" but has no reference to anything from the games. Nothing from the Yiga clan or the monks that would've been pretty cool and unique at the time.
Sheik is currently based off of the Sheikah gear that Link gets to wear, not the Sheikah tribe as a whole. There would be more traditional ninja Sheikah elements then and grays. Adult BotW Link is used to rep all the newly found tech and borrow Zelda's old light- I mean use ancient arrows. Sheik would have been relevant if they didnt cut Sheik out from TP. They planned on including the alter ego, which is why the Brawl/Sm4sh designs included the cut TP Sheik design. Really though, it's a symptom of the massive pedestal OoT has on the series. So across all the included Zelda stuff from fighters and costumes and items, and just about every game is represented somewhere, OoT should and does have a bit heavier representation.

Though if you were going to get a non-Triforce user rep, Impa and Skull kid. Impa moreso. But it's funny because the reincarnation lore thing means most of the time Impa is an old lady. Everyone loves her one warrior incarnation from SS (and non-canon HW) best, with OoT Impa the only other time she isnt an old hag or a large adopted mom.

And even though I want Hilda as an echo, what would excite me more would have a new rep in Vaati as a semi-echo for Zelda (magic user, handheld games, he can keep the cloak to mimic the skirt). Hes been in each of the Four Sword games, so he's been in the same number of games as Skull Kid. Elongate his Minish Cap form to match Zelda's proportions, if you dont want to keep him toon style, and then enjoy a dark sorceror. Just modify the goddess spells slightly, figure out a different ability for the phantom (or use MC darknuts), and make a new ultimate that allows him to transform into his normal eye thing form. Alt costumes reference other villains. Might even be useful for advertising since BotW2 has a chance of including the scrapped Minish stuff. Realistic Vaati could maybe be thing with zombie Ganon.

Or a character that is major to an extent that Nintendo are trying to keep it secret like they did with Cloud and Everyone returning in ultimate to some extent? Dunno really. Only one I can think that no one would expect and that no one would think is related to Smash until they saw the splash screen is a Sony rep.
Honestly, while I expect a Resident Evil rep in general, the biggest hype character sans a FPS would be Sora. However, I strongly believe the hype characters should be saved for post-pass DLC because you will want players to buy the next pass. So FP5 should be a low hype character. But still a 3rd party one because it makes better sense for royalties and demand tracking to have the fighter in DLC.

>tfw going by color theory logic the next character's color would be orange, the same color that Gordon primarily wears
You shouldn't look at only what the character wears but also game titles. Terry may wear blue Jean's the the SNK logo matches the blue more and Joker wears black and has red. Plus, Joker's is a deeper red than a red-red while B-K has a more orange gold than bright yellow. So really I think we should look at characters who go with an orange that skews towards red to balance it out (because I really doubt we're getting a pink character), so an orange/red-orange.

And I know these are from a bit back and I forget what I wanted to touch on from the current 2 pages. Sorry ^_^'

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If FP5 is revealed before the VGAs, then I think there won't be any announcements at the VGAs. Rather, the 1st post-Fighter's Pass character will be revealed in the January/February Direct.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't know what's going on, but I like the anime foreshadowing in this post.
Previously on Fatman (Now w/ Pictures!):

I’m not that familiar with the players within the leaker scene, I’ve seen Fatmans user name here before, but who exactly is Fatman and what did he do?

I wish I knew, Commissioner Jordan. But surely Fatman is a myth? There's enough trouble in our city, so I also avoid the leaker scene. Some call Fatman a hero, but I say he's a no good vigilante.

Who the hell is this Fatman I've seen talked about on the last couple of pages?
What's a kid like you reading the Brotham City Times for?! That sensational garbage. Anyway, you're a good kid, Rick Drayson, so a word of advice: that Fatman is bad news. He doesn't speak much, if he's even real at all, but his word is treated like gospel. There's a certain group that hang out over at old Geno's place downtown that formed a Fatman cult of some kind. Great, like we needed more vigilantes recklessly tearing up our city. It's all crazy I tell ya! Gone are the days of open and shut cases. When, if ever was Fatman right? Never, I say. Never. Don't listen to what the papers have to say, kid. This gal's been on the force almost as long as Commissioner Jordan himself.

Later that day...

And now for Part 3: I Am Fatman

Deuce?! Did you just refer to me as Deuce, Alfredo? In my own workout studio? The man they know as world renowned Fitness Instructor Deuce Payne is a charade. Deuce Payne ceased to exist the day his parents died in that drive-thru car crash. Survivors guilt caused that orphan boy to eat his weight in comfort food thrice over. He spent years developing an extreme workout regime to take all of it off. In doing so, that boy became a man who mastered the ultimate exercise routine. Unbeknownst to the rest of the world, when sped up, said exercise is also the deadliest martial art on the planet. That man may have shed the pounds, Alfredo, but the weight of his parent's death will never go away. That is why I don the Fatsuit and fight evil one calorie at a time. I am vengeance. I am chubby. I. Am. Fatman!

That's all for now, kids... Same fat time, same fat channel.

But yeah, basically, I started reading replies about some guy named Fatman, so I responded to them like a Batman parody. I'm as clueless you are, but it I got a laugh out of it at least. Part 2 was almost all actual quotes y'all said about Fatman; I can't make that stuff up.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Marvel vs Capcom 4? Great, just put my baes Morrigan and Felicia and it's an okay deal for me. Marvel VS DC? Eh...

Other than that, we're probably gonna get FP5 before we get our Game Awards reveal, so most likely it'll be more of a niche character as opposed to the "hype to end all hype" characters. Here's to KOS-MOS, Reimu.
Here's to Amaterasu, Elma, Kat, and Sakura.

Just hope they add in Amaterasu in the new Marvel vs Capcom game this time, it's one of the (admittedly petty) reasons I didn't get Infinite. That, and game was as barebones as a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom