• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's something for every M-Rated character that gets suggested, it's basically a trend from how I see it.:nifty: Kratos would be pretty cool though, would you prefer his original trilogy incarnation or his new GoW fatherly self?

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
It's something for every M-Rated character that gets suggested, it's basically a trend from how I see it.:nifty: Kratos would be pretty cool though, would you prefer his original trilogy incarnation or his new GoW fatherly self?
To be honest I still haven't played God of War (PS4). Both versions of the character are cool though and could be different skins.

Anyway there are other Sony characters that could be a great choice for sure!

I.D.

Smash Lord
Random Thought: I wouldn't be surprised if the reason there isn't any Xenoblade Chronicles X music in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is because its owned by a separate composer.
Xenoblade 2, a game with infinitely smaller budget than Smash Ultimate, managed to get a couple of tracks just fine. Considering Xenoblade in general got no significant content beyond a couple of mii costumes and 3 songs with bugged audio I'd say this one's on the Smash team.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That sales data only goes up to September. Steve hadn't even been announced by the cutoff point.

Turns out people will just buy Smash DLC even for first party characters. Who'd have thought?
I mean, ARMS sold over 2 million copies and Min Min is one of the most popular characters from that game, so the idea that she would sell well isn’t exactly unbelievable even if “nobody asked for her in Smash”. I mean, we are not exactly talking about Goku from Yuyuki, but a character with an already decent audience outside the context of Smash. There is legitimacy to the “Smash bubble” argument.

At the very least, this won’t discourage the idea of more first-party DLC if a third pass were to be hypothetically greenlit.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I'd go with the Greek Kratos because there's way more to pull a moveset. Kratos from God of war ps4 only use two weapons. To be fair the axe alone could make a good moveset, but the original trilogy Kratos have the blades, the sword of olympus, the Hercules weapons etc. He also have some magic like he can throw electricity, summon souls from the underworld, make earthquake using Atlas power, Icarus wings etc. and some other items like a bow, Hermes boots, Medusa's head.

You could also maybe do a duo character using New Kratos + Atreus, but I think this would be a bit complex. Maybe Atreus could be in the background just doins his thing and shooting arrow, but that might be hard to balance. You could make Kratos a bit weaker to balance it out, but it wouldn't feel like Kratos.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its hard to say how of the second fighter's pass's success has been the appeal of a Min Min vs. fans being reasonably pleased with the first pass and expecting similar results in the follow-up. At the very least, it does feel like the first one was overall strong enough that any particular weak links in it (whomever that might have been for individual taste) certainly didn't turn off that many people for this one.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Vergeben: Leaks the majority of the game with near perfect accuracy throughout smash’s development

Also Vergeben: misses the fact that Ender Dragon wasn’t a physical boss fight in the game but was still referenced as the boss fight

Smash fanbase: see guys. Vergeben was wrong about everything.

Edit: not trying to pick on anyone specifically because believe ME this has happened time and time again in this fanbase.
Pretty sure the Ender Dragon stuff was outright false information.

How could he possibly have known information about Steve's classic mode/one of his Spirits in early 2018, months before Pass 1 was worked on and at least a year before Pass 2 was even considered as something that should exist?

Just because Vergeben has an impressive track record doesn't mean everything he says is true. The problem with the Smash fanbase is that they don't realize how black and white they are about leakers, which are a very gray situation since they have no control over the information they get.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Do you guys think every dlc character should have unique gimmick or some sort? The patterns seems to be that way. Even Byleth has some distinction to offer. But this could be roadblock to characters like Crash

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Do you guys think every dlc character should have unique gimmick or some sort? The patterns seems to be that way. Even Byleth has some distinction to offer. But this could be roadblock to characters like Crash
Using the whole "everyone needs a gimmick" thing to gatekeep characters is honestly ridiculous.

If he can make entire movesets out of people who don't have any moveset potential, what's stopping Sakurai from figuring out a gimmick for any given character?

And Crash could have gimmicks, albeit more subtle ones, like being able to cancel a slide kick into a jump at any point for impressive burst movement no one else would be able to pull off, or maybe he could summon different crates with different effects, like one that spawns fruit and heals anyone who bounces on it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How could he possibly have known information about Steve's classic mode/one of his Spirits in early 2018, months before Pass 1 was worked on and at least a year before Pass 2 was even considered as something that should exist?
Shortly after Steve's release there was an interview with Sakurai where he talked about the Minecraft development. Sakurai said that he had been working with them for the last 5 years for Minecraft content. That's how Vergeben would be aware. Remember, he was aware that Smash would have something Minecraft related. It makes sense if this was 5 years in the making how he would have heard at least something about it. With things as tightly underwraps as they were, it makes sense he wouldn't have known the exact extent of Minecraft content in Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Shortly after Steve's release there was an interview with Sakurai where he talked about the Minecraft development. Sakurai said that he had been working with them for the last 5 years for Minecraft content. That's how Vergeben would be aware. Remember, he was aware that Smash would have something Minecraft related. It makes sense if this was 5 years in the making how he would have heard at least something about it. With things as tightly underwraps as they were, it makes sense he wouldn't have known the exact extent of Minecraft content in Smash.
I still don't think he could've known about it years before it actually happened because it doesn't take 5 years to make a whole damn classic mode.

At best, it might've been stuff discussed in talks that Verge's sources merely assumed to be fact.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still don't think he could've known about it years before it actually happened.

At best, it might've been stuff discussed in talks that Verge's sources merely assumed to be fact.
That's fair. Vergeben seemed only vaguely aware of the stuff. I remember the leak he mentioned the Minecraft stuff in. He seemed iffy about; 'something minecraft related' was all he said his source mentioned but could never elaborate (he never seemed too confident in it either since I don't think he had heard anything like it from other sources).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That's fair. Vergeben seemed only vaguely aware of the stuff. I remember the leak he mentioned the Minecraft stuff in. He seemed iffy about; 'something minecraft related' was all he said his source mentioned but could never elaborate (he never seemed too confident in it either since I don't think he had heard anything like it from other sources).
Yeah, the whole Minecraft stuff was always very vague, so back in the day, I just assumed it'd be a stage and not much else.

Might not be a Minecraft fan, but with how ambitious and creative Steve is as a character, I'm glad to be wrong.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So Nagoshi doesn't want Kiryu in fighting games because he doesn't want him to beat up women

Asked him about putting Kazuma Kiryu in a fighting game. might be Tekken, might be something else.
We do get this request a lot. Of course there are exceptions, but fighting games generally have female characters, and personally I don’t really want to see Kiryu beating up women.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So Nagoshi doesn't want Kiryu in fighting games because he doesn't want him to beat up women

This one sounds like a hard deconfirm to me fams

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Huh...interesting. Sad news as far as I'm concerned, but I guess that's a reason. Though if he WAS going to be in a fighting game, Smash would make the most sense then, since it's so cartoony and the object is to basically ring out people, not beat them into unconciousness.

...how does he feel about Majima beating up women?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Is this... a deconfirmation... not only for Smash... but also Tekken 7?

**** NO.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Asked him about F-Zero GX, especially if he would be up to the task if Nintendo asked him to work on a sequel. And also asked him if it would be as hard as GX.

Hmm. Putting aside the possibility of it actually happening, it is a game that I think fondly of, so if the opportunity arises, I don’t think I’d be against it. In that case, I’d personally like to make it a challenging game. If they were looking for a “fun driving” type of game, they already have Mario Kart.
Really glad he is still up for a new F-Zero game, even though this doesn't really make a new game anymore likelier. Come on Nintendo! Feed me! FEED ME!

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Funny how the Playstation is my favorite console yet I have zero conection to any Sony character. All my favorite Playstation games are 3rd parties :rotfl:

Seems like nobody told him that you have to fight women in Project X Zone 2.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

So Kiryu's been disconfirmed huh?
This hurts man.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Hm. Interesting, considering his and Majima's presence in PXZ2, as someone mentioned.

That said, the requests for Kiryu in Tekken 7 had spiked, so that's probably why it got namedropped like that lol.

Gonna assume it's a hard disconfirm, for argument's sake. The interview is recent too, unlike Arle's, so that's even worse imo.

SKX31

Smash Master

Wuh.

I get not beating up civilians - civilian women and all that, sure. I'm assuming that's the angle where he's coming from...

..But I don't get him in this context at all. The context between the two scenarios are so wildly different, including the fact that the female characters in fighting games are ready to fight. That's a severe leap in logic, and, gah.

People are inconsistent as ****, yes. But it can be infuriating at times.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm usually not keen on supposed deconfirmations and stuff, but this seem as clear cut as it gets

Smash likes to consult people closely tied to the franchises in question, and it's been shown in the past they pretty much have the final call (eg. Yabuki). And if Mr. Yakuza himself doesn't want Kiryu in fears of him having to beat up women, I'm assuming Nintendo/Sakurai would probably respect that call.

Wasn't really a supporter of Kiryu personally, but I respected him and his fans, and would've totally been down with him. Either way though, I respect Nagoshi's call.

My condolences goes out to y'all who wanted him. For real, y'all were probably among the most down to earth support bases and I was honestly sorta kinda rooting for y'all.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This is the same situation from a while ago when the Puyo Puyo Creator said the characters don't want the characters to beat each other up.
I am kinda bummed about Kiryu though :(

Kiryu falls and like a Phoenix Rising from the Ashes

Sakura Rises

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
This feels like this ends up deconfirming Kiryu for any and all fighting games in the future unless something changes or we get an All Male fighting game if we take it as face value.

I can say this would be a bit of an odder reason a character can't be in a game even if it is understandable. We'll see in the future if he still thinks of this or if it will change.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing to note is that Super Smash Bros. does have the ability to sidestep certain qualms like this due to its "all in good fun" slapstick competition shtick. Nobody actually gets hurt, and in the end, everyone claps for the winner (unless you're a sore loser like the Ice Climbers or just...what is Jigglypuff doing? lol). Heck, some characters aren't even trying to hit you, but do anyway.

Not saying it's a guarantee, and it's more likely that this means Kiryu can't get in than it doesn't, but I do still think it's a possibility, and it has happened before with Hero (though that might be an exception due to the game's prestigious nature rather than anything else).

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
One thing to note is that Super Smash Bros. does have the ability to sidestep certain qualms like this due to its "all in good fun" slapstick competition shtick. Nobody actually gets hurt, and in the end, everyone claps for the winner (unless you're a sore loser like the Ice Climbers or just...what is Jigglypuff doing? lol). Heck, some characters aren't even trying to hit you, but do anyway.

Not saying it's a guarantee, and it's more likely that this means Kiryu can't get in than it doesn't, but I do still think it's a possibility, and it has happened before with Hero (though that might be an exception due to the game's prestigious nature rather than anything else).
I think that could be one way to get around it if this mentality is still kept. See it like a fun little sportsmanship than just "Kiryu and Isabelle fight to the death" which me alleviate these concerns.

Sidenote: Now I have a mental image of a typical Yakuza final battle but with Isabelle as the final boss now. Dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom