• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sidenote: Now I have a mental image of a typical Yakuza final battle but with Isabelle as the final boss now. Dammit.
Kiryu ends up in a strange town inhabited by talking animals. The only other human is the mayor, who runs an underground mafia with Isabelle as the manager. In order to escape the town he must take down this criminal organization.

Get ready for:

Yakusa X Animal Crossing

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Some people are bringing up the possibility this doesn't affect Kiryu in Smash since something like Tekken 7 is a bit realistic with its fighting so it is understandable there while Smash is over the top and crazy so there wouldn't be too much issues as well as everyone treating it like a fun game when they're defeated.

Just a small thought there.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kiryu is more wholesome than Animal Crossing
I mean, think of it this way: one is a nice dude who cares for those close to him, goes around town doing chores for people he barely knows, gets way too excited about the most menial of tasks and overall is a positive influence on people he comes across.

The other is Villager.

:4pacman:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
What about Kiryu and Majima in Project X Zone 2? I haven’t gotten that far in it, so I don’t really know what kinds of enemies are common, but at the very least the two of them are beating up a bee lady in this video. So I guess PXZ2 could count as an exception, but the question would become whether Smash could be counted as one too

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So Nagoshi doesn't want Kiryu in fighting games because he doesn't want him to beat up women

Now that's a Dame Da Ne moment if there ever was one.

As some have mentioned, they seem to be fine about it with Project X Zone. Maybe it's because it doesn't really focus on it, while in a fighting game it's very up-front about it. Sure, Smash is more on the cartoony side, but Kiryu himself isn't (Though admittedly Yakuza can get weirder than a lot of cartoons). Even if it's all fun and games in Smash, Nagoshi might feel uncomfortable regardless since it's still a realistic man punching a woman.

Anyways it seems to be Arle and Sakura now. As good a time as any for me to get into their games.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Birdo wouldn't be an echo. You'd think by now people would know what an echo fighter is, huh? Echo fighters are basically just alt costumes with a few quirks. Maybe one move is unique at the most. Ditching all that stuff for Birdo goes beyond the echo fighter standard.
If Birdo just removed the flutter, had an egg shoot instead of egg throw, and used Dedede's suck instead of Yoshi's tongue, then she would work completely fine. This would make her simpler than Ken, who is an 'echo.'

I don't understand the hostility. Echo is an incredibly loose term. We have from Daisy to Ken. Meanwhile, Pichu, Dr Mario, Young Link, and Toon Link, are not echoes, simply because they got a numbered entry long ago.

Please tell me then, based on all of this, what is an echo?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So Nagoshi doesn't want Kiryu in fighting games because he doesn't want him to beat up women

Ehh, this seems like one of those responses that can’t really be taken one way or the other. Actually it seems more like a joke response more than anything. Still, I don’t expect Kiryu but even if this did hurt his chances I don’t think we’re really getting a Sega character this pass anyways. Arle is a big deal but I’m not sure if she’s going to make it in either and she even had an interview that may or may not have disconfirmed her for this pass as well so maybe my hunch is right.

I don’t think we should read into interviews a whole lot, as I’ve said in the past, because they’re always worded in a way that is really vague. After all is said and done, Kiryu could be in the game but he said this to throw us off the sent. Arle could be in the game but they said that to throw us off. It’s just the nature of interviews.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not only do Terry and Hero break this rule but you are VASTLY underestimating the popularity and Impact of Puyo Puyo and Sakura Wars.
But it's almost entirely Japan-centric. I don't think that they would add a character that appeals only to Japan.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Seems like it is either Sakura, Arle, a Yakuza character that isn't Kiryu or a second Sonic rep after Kiryu's deconfirm for Sega rep.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wait, why did we return to pre-Erdrick speculation? Smash can and did include characters that aren't really popular in the West.
They literally added Eight for Western appeal. And Terry doesn't appeal just to Japan either, as SNK games are extremely popular in Latin America.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They literally added Eight for Western appeal. And Terry doesn't appeal just to Japan either, as SNK games are extremely popular in Latin America.
I know you are desperate to disconfirm every character but I guarantee you that Nintendo still would add Hero even if Eight wasn't a part of the set.

Also, Puyo Puyo as a series has higher overseas sales than DQVIII alone so not sure what your argument is.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I know you are desperate to disconfirm every character but I guarantee you that Nintendo still would add Hero even if Eight wasn't a part of the set.

Also, Puyo Puyo as a series has higher overseas sales than DQVIII alone so not sure what your argument is.
I remember Puyo Puyo was actually changed to something else in the West. The Puyo Puyo game on the SNES Online is in Japanese in all regions.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Wait, why did we return to pre-Erdrick speculation? Smash can and did include characters that aren't really popular in the West.
Sadly this is something we can never pull out of even when it has been confirmed many, many times. Case in point, bring up characters like Arle, Reimu, or whoever in any forum and not just this and people will keep using this as justification.

And I think even if we do get more regionally popular characters, this will still be brought up.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why should popularity matter anymore? The name “Minecraft” being slapped on the game is selling Vol. 2 like hotcakes anyways, so we can stick a couple lesser known characters in there.
It was already selling like hotcakes even before Steve. That report was apparently from September.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also don't think that a third pass is happening.
You would think Steve was the last character if Sakurai didn't announce he was the second out of six. You probably also think Sakurai is planning to cancel the rest of the pass, just because.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You would think Steve was the last character if Sakurai didn't announce he was one of six. You probably also think Sakurai is planning to cancel the rest of the pass, just because.
Besides, Sakurai already announced that this is it, and the CSS can only support 4 more characters after all FP2 characters.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you’re wanting to die on the hill that DQ was added because of western appeal then you’ve already died. They added Eight because he’s one of the very popular DQ Heroes all around. They didn’t add Eight because he was specifically known in the west. They wouldn’t add Hero and put that in to appease the less than half a million players who played VIII on the PlayStation 2 or the even lesser amount that played it on the 3DS. They added it because of how popular VIII is in Japan. Being one of the more popular ones overseas was just a perk.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If you’re wanting to die on the hill that DQ was added because of western appeal then you’ve already died. They added Eight because he’s one of the very popular DQ Heroes all around. They didn’t add Eight because he was specifically known in the west. They wouldn’t add Hero and put that in to appease the less than half a million players who played VIII on the PlayStation 2 or the even lesser amount that played it on the 3DS. They added it because of how popular VIII is in Japan. Being one of the more popular ones overseas was just a perk.
Puyo Puyo was reskinned in the West and Sakura Wars hardly if ever gets localized. All DQ games (minus X) were properly released in the West.

I.D.

Smash Lord
No, pretty sure he was chosen because of his recognizability to western players. They specifically talked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom