• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're arguing semantics, the Astral Chain protagonist isn't Akira; That's their twin. They start out fairly similar, but they start diverging very early on.
At first, you get the Sword Legion and Akira gets the Arrow Legion. However, the heroes lose control of the Legions fairly quickly, with you being the only one to regain control. You start collecting all the Legions and using them together while Akira is stuck with nothing. This is followed by them getting near-fatally stabbed by Jena and is put out of commission for a while, until they come back with dark armor and an upgraded Raven Legion. Then it turns out they were cloned to create the Raven Corps, causing them to have an existential crisis, and THEN they get absorbed into Noah, forcing them to sacrifice themselves to let you finish it off.
Long story short, I could see them as an Echo or even a semiclone, but Akira and Astral Chain protagonist are separate characters. I mostly refer to them as Legionis in the vein of Inkling or Villager, but Officer Howard works too.
TBH, I really like the idea of a playable Akira if only because I'm not a huge fan of puppet masters. I do really like the baton as a weapon, though, and would love to see it in Smash. The balancing required to implement the legion would be nuts, too, just based on being a character with disjoints puppeteering a larger character with more disjoints.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think it's that much of a stretch to call the protagonist Akira. Both the male and female character can be the twin, and the player character, while nameless, can still be called Akira if you so desire.
Yeah, but then you've got two Akira's running around. They're separate characters, and Akira never gets to wield all five Legions like the player character does. If we keep calling them Akira, newcomers to the game are going to think Akira is their official name like with Robin or Corrin or Steve, when that's now their actual name.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
TBH, I really like the idea of a playable Akira if only because I'm not a huge fan of puppet masters. I do really like the baton as a weapon, though, and would love to see it in Smash. The balancing required to implement the legion would be nuts, too, just based on being a character with disjoints puppeteering a larger character with more disjoints.
Me thinking about how they'd play: Oh boy, I can't wait to play as a character who is Rosalina & Luma, but also Bayonetta, except much more complicated and also it has a meter (but not like, a comeback meter. Its for resource management).

Yeah, but then you've got two Akira's running around. They're separate characters, and Akira never gets to wield all five Legions like the player character does. If we keep calling them Akira, newcomers to the game are going to think Akira is their official name like with Robin or Corrin or Steve, when that's now their actual name.
I mean, it technically is. They aren't any different visually regardless of their role, so you're not wrong in putting that name to their faces.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Looks like we're getting a "Super Mario 3D All Stars" but for Red & Blue, Gold & Silver, and Ruby & Sapphire. Hopefully it's not limited release like 3D All Stars again.
Knowing them it will be lmao

Now where’s my F-Zero X/GX Duology Nintendo? Idc if it’s limited time, INJECT IT INTO MY VEINSSSSS I NEED IT

Ivander

Smash Legend
So Nagoshi doesn't want Kiryu in fighting games because he doesn't want him to beat up women

Out of all the reasons....
Guess its now down to Sakura and Arle in terms of another Sega Rep.
Phantasy Star? I mean, it's recent title is still on-going in Japan, recently came to the West and is also coming out with a new game to both Japan and the West. Like I don't see why a Phantasy Star character can't be an option.

But it really shows how despite having a whole slew of titles, no one really thinks about other Sega characters. Seriously Sega, bring new titles or even remakes to some of your popular Genesis titles. Gunstar Heroes would be really appreciated cause Treasure games are underrated.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Looks like we're getting a "Super Mario 3D All Stars" but for Red & Blue, Gold & Silver, and Ruby & Sapphire. Hopefully it's not limited release like 3D All Stars again.
Hey, Nintendo, you mind revealing some brand new games rather than releasing/remastering old ones for the billionth time within the span of like a year?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I know jack about Sakura Wars, so I'd love some input on this:

Way I see it... its chances aren't as good as the frequent mentions would make it out to be. A quick search told me that only two games in the entire series came to the west (if someone could confirm this, it would be appreciated).

I'm curious if someone can bring more information about the topic. I've heard from people here why they think it would be a good choice, but not why people think it's likely.
2 games came to the West 1 anime was dubbed and the other had official subs
Sakura's presence in the west is mainly from Crossovers like Phantasy star and Project X Zone 1 & 2
If Sakura got in it would mainly appeal to the Japanese audience but it is quite big there between 1996 and 2010 it sold 4.5 million copies worldwide there are also, Light Novels, Stage Shows, CD's, Concerts etc. it is a bigger deal than expected

I think this is a 4chan troll from what I've seen

Last edited:
Me thinking about how they'd play: Oh boy, I can't wait to play as a character who is Rosalina & Luma, but also Bayonetta, except much more complicated and also it has a meter (but not like, a comeback meter. Its for resource management).
Alternatively, a character who is Rosalina & Luma, but Luma is Zelda's phantom, and Rosalina is a mix of Joker and Ike.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Pokemon collection?
fake as hell butt I still sleep
original (2).jpg

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not paying no 60 goddamn dollars for three handheld ports if that's what TPC's aim is

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, it technically is. They aren't any different visually regardless of their role, so you're not wrong in putting that name to their faces.
If the player character had a canon name, they'd use it in promotional material. They'd probably use it as the default name when you customize them too. But they don't. Both genders have four pre-determined names, and none of them are Akira.
The player character has all five Legions. Akira doesn't. Adding to that, they play different roles in the story and have different characterizations, and halfway through Akira gets the Raven upgrade, so there actually is a visual difference.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm sorry but when it comes to Birdo's recovery, any answer that's not this

is a wrong answer
When Birdo gets F-Tilt -> Up-Air -> Double Jump Up Air -> This for the sick ladder combo.

Thumbs up.

I mean, they could've released those three games for the NSO two years ago and gotten more people onto the Nintendo Subscription Service.

But nope. What looks like the Disney Nintendo Vault it is! Edit: See below.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Except it's not even both. It's just Red, Gold, and Ruby.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  • Red or Blue. Not a special both version. (Though I suppose it makes sense since Yellow's it's own thing)
  • Gold and Silver. Not Crystal.
  • Ruby & Sapphire. Not Emerald.
  • Probably a timed exclusive.
Yeah, were this real, this would be a no buy. It's the three oldest (and therefore most archaic) games, and they're not even the best versions of those games on top of the crappy business practices.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
  • Red or Blue. Not a special both version. (Though I suppose it makes sense since Yellow's it's own thing)
  • Gold and Silver. Not Crystal.
  • Ruby & Sapphire. Not Emerald.
  • Probably a timed exclusive.
Yeah, were this real, this would be a no buy. It's the three oldest (and therefore most archaic) games, and they're not even the best versions of those games on top of the crappy business practices.
Well, they are the easiest to translate over to the Switch, as the DS and 3DS games won't work properly and would have to be completely remade.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Mario 3D-All Stars I can understand. Pokemon All-Stars? Just ****ing buy the first two on 3DS VC and grab ORAS, I guarantee it'll be cheaper than whatever jank ass price TPC is gonna give us.
They have to include the first 3 gens as they are the only old games that will work properly on the Switch. Gen 4-7 can only be brought over to the Switch in the form of remakes as DS and 3DS games won't work properly on the Switch due to the DS line's unique features that the Switch doesn't have.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They have to include the first 3 gens as they are the only old games that will work properly on the Switch. Gen 4-7 can only be brought over to the Switch in the form of remakes as DS and 3DS games won't work properly on the Switch due to the DS line's unique features that the Switch doesn't have.
Ah, right. The bottom screen. Doesn't change the fact that it's still a pretty terrible deal.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Like what?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Aren't some of the Mega Man games ported to Switch from the DS?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
From my limited knowledge, Sakura Wars is HUGE in Japan and surprising popular in other East Asian countries, but that's both a blessing and a curse, since it doesn't have the same level of cultural significance in the West. Personally, I think it all hinges on whether or not Nintendo's aiming for a character that appeals to Japan specifically. If yes, she's a frontrunner. If not... Tough luck.

But hey, at the very least she's got more going for her than, say, Takamaru:mybodyisreggie:
2 games came to the West 1 anime was dubbed and the other had official subs
Sakura's presence in the west is mainly from Crossovers like Phantasy star and Project X Zone 1 & 2
If Sakura got in it would mainly appeal to the Japanese audience but it is quite big there between 1996 and 2010 it sold 4.5 million copies worldwide there are also, Light Novels, Stage Shows, CD's, Concerts etc. it is a bigger deal than expected
I see. So huge in Japan, but unlike DQ, almost none of its games came to the west. That's... harsh. The last time we got one of those characters was in Brawl with Lucas and before that, Melee with Marth and Roy.

I mean, it's not impossible, but if we're talking Sega, a PSO rep or Axel seem more likely imo (assuming both Arle and Kiryu are out).

Ooof. On one hand, I never got to own some of these, but if this is true, then it'll probably be full price AND a limited release.

Well, they are the easiest to translate over to the Switch, as the DS and 3DS games won't work properly and would have to be completely remade.
While this is true, I think a lot of people would rather have Crystal and Emerald instead of Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire. I know I had a really hard time switching to ORAS after playing Emerald several times as a kid. Emerald is just that much better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The touch screen, dual screens, etc. It would require so much work to completely revamp the games that it would be better if Gens 4-7 were completely remade.
They barely use the bottom screen and touch screen. It's nothing that can't be easily tweaked. After thousands of Wii U ports it's ridiculous to assume that they can't slap a DS game on the Switch. ****, they did The World Ends With You and that's way more reliant on touchscreen controls.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
While this is true, I think a lot of people would rather have Crystal and Emerald instead of Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire. I know I had a really hard time switching to ORAS after playing Emerald several times as a kid. Emerald is just that much better.
I don't think that GF cares. Besides, this might be a fake.
I see. So huge in Japan, but unlike DQ, almost none of its games came to the west. That's... harsh. The last time we got one of those characters was in Brawl with Lucas and before that, Melee with Marth and Roy.
And both of them were special cases. Marth and Roy were originally planned to only be in the Japanese version while Lucas would not have made it in had Sakurai known that Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Actually, I just realized something.

This supposed "leak" only mentions Red, Gold and Ruby. So... do you think they're making two versions? One with R/G/R and the other with B/S/S?

Two versions of a full-priced retro rerelease that would probably be a limited time deal. Yeah, I... dunno how I'd feel about that one. Assuming it's true in the first place.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Personally, I just don't see the value in them in a made-up scenario. If you're going to add a character to Smash, then you may as well make them at least somewhat unique. Otherwise, we could easily add Alm, Sigurd, Seliph, Eliwood, and Eirika onto Math/Roy.
In fact, some people are down with that, but I personally think it's just wasted potential for the sake of added content, and it doesn't really fit the character to begin with.

Besides, in an idealized hypothetical setting, which people are throwing out left and right, there wouldn't be echoes to begin with. No one asks for characters and says "make them exactly similar to a character they have no relation to." And at that point, cutting characters you don't like is par for the course for these personal roster changes.
After the acknowledgement of Echoes being echoes, both verbally, internally, and as far as my CSS is concerned- I love echoes. I have an entire list of echoes. For example- Octoling. I think that Splatoon, being as big as it is, should have the Octolings. But making them unique just to make them unique is silly to me, since they not only function identically in their games, but it takes away the uniqueness of Inkling just a bit, to have a non-echo who uses similar mechanics. I would never ask for Baby Mario and Luigi as a Yoshi series character, but as echoes of the Ice Climbers? That works fine for me.

I do NOT like repeated mechanics. I cannot stand when people suggest something like, 'Pokemon Trainer 2,' or 'Just like the Ice Climbers.' If they are an echo, fine, it's brand is intact. If it is a new character? To quote RPDR, "well **** my drag, right?"
Poor male avatars. They shall never see the adoration their female counterparts get because they don't have sex appeal.

Except for male Robin 'cuz he's a likable character.
...I remember being 10 and finding Roy stunning. And then when Ike came out... I mean, don't tell me the male characters don't have sex appeal.
A second Sonic character shouldn't happen because Sakurai is a coward who wouldn't add Blaze or Omega change my mind
I don't expect Blaze or Omega to happen, because that's stupid to compare to the other options, but coward?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They barely use the bottom screen and touch screen. It's nothing that can't be easily tweaked. After thousands of Wii U ports it's ridiculous to assume that they can't slap a DS game on the Switch. ****, they did The World Ends With You and that's way more reliant on touchscreen controls.
Game Freak might not want to do the effort because they might think that remaking them would be more profitable.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The touch screen, dual screens, etc. It would require so much work to completely revamp the games that it would be better if Gens 4-7 were completely remade.
Well the Switch has a touch screen so that's not really an issue, and we do know that things can get reworked even while being emulated, as Super Mario Galaxy removes the motion control requirement for the most part. With a general knowledge of what the touch screen was used for, you'd mostly need to change how the menu works, and allow it to be controlled by the controller.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ooof. On one hand, I never got to own some of these, but if this is true, then it'll probably be full price AND a limited release.
I believe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back with Nintendo's shady business practices. People were already upset before with the lackluster Mario collection, this will just be insulting to consumers.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Game Freak might not want to do the effort because they might think that remaking them would be more profitable.
Now that actually makes a ton of sense. The one thing Pokémon Fans are asking for are the Generation 4 remakes. If they plan to deliver, then why port Pokémon Platinum (or whatever) alongside it?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How is selling barely tweaked ports at a $60 pricepoint less profitable than full-on remakes for the same price? Mario 3D All-Stars sold 5 million copies in less than 2 weeks. A Pokemon collection would sell.

Plus, it's not like they can't do both. A barely-retouched collection next year for the anniversary and then actual remakes down the line.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Mario 3D-All Stars I can understand. Pokemon All-Stars? Just ****ing buy the first two on 3DS VC and grab ORAS, I guarantee it'll be cheaper than whatever jank ass price TPC is gonna give us.
I'm having strong doubts that this is even real but.
If your buying all 3 games digitally then it's actually 60 dollars cause ORAS is 40 and Red and Gold are both 10 dollars.
Of course you could buy ORAS used for cheaper but maybe some people don't like buying games used. I don't at least.
So it probably isn't cheaper but I'm not sure if there are other factors but just looking it up on Nintendo's website it would be a similar price if it's even real.
I'm sorry if there are any obvious mistakes in this.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And I absolutely believe that if Birdo jumped differently than Yoshi she would have to be completely rebalanced Dr. Mario style. How Yoshi jumps is a huge part of who Yoshi is. Birdo would play significantly different from Yoshi if she did not flutter.
A huge part of who Marth is resides in the tipper mechanic.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know the worst part? Depending on your country, you can't even do that.

The R/B/Y and G/S/C VC releases were blocked in the Brazilian Eshop after they reworked the way payments were done, for example. You literally can't buy them now, to my knowledge. The system doesn't let you - it says the games aren't available in the region.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
How is selling barely tweaked ports at a $60 pricepoint less profitable than full-on remakes for the same price? Mario 3D All-Stars sold 5 million copies in less than 2 weeks. A Pokemon collection would sell.

Plus, it's not like they can't do both. A barely-retouched collection next year for the anniversary and then actual remakes down the line.
It would decrease the sales of the remakes. Why buy the remakes if the originals are easy to get your hands on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom