• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It's fake? Whew.

I wouldn't have bought it regardless but it's nice to know that Game Freak isn't ****ty enough to dump three handheld ROMS on a cartridge and charge what I assume would be full price for it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So huge in Japan, but unlike DQ, almost none of its games came to the west.
It's also unlike DQ in that its titles sell far less. The treatment it gets is a prime example of Japan not believing in go-biiiiiig-or-go-home the same way the West does.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I couldn't find any typos in the tweet other than 'team magma' not being capitalized.

I could see this as being real. Primarily, because it is the retailers job to create the posting, not Nintendo, and that means a typo isn't reflecting a lack of care from anyone other than the marketing team, and that happens.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I couldn't find any typos in the tweet other than 'team magma' not being capitalized.

I could see this as being real. Primarily, because it is the retailers job to create the posting, not Nintendo, and that means a typo isn't reflecting a lack of care from anyone other than the marketing team, and that happens.
Pokemon isn't capitalized and is occasionally missing the accent mark, and other words are mispelled.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It would decrease the sales of the remakes. Why buy the remakes if the originals are easy to get your hands on?
No it wouldn't lol. There's no comparison between the appeals, one is the original experience and the other is a new one, adapted for modern day expectations, in 3D.

Gen 1 had 2 different remakes, and LGP/E still sold 12 million copies even with Red/Blue/Yellow readily available on the 3DS VC.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There would be nothing more lackluster than a Pokemon collection. Unless they add a bunch of stuff to the thing that would be a pretty boring collection
You wouldn't even be able to 100% the pokedex in any of those goddamn games, what would be the point? You can't even catch 'em all.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No it wouldn't lol. There's no comparison between the appeals, one is the original experience and the other is a new one, adapted for modern day expectations, in 3D.

Gen 1 had 2 different remakes, and LGP/E still sold 12 million copies even with Red/Blue/Yellow readily available on the 3DS VC.
LGPE isn't a traditional remake. It's a highly simplified game with GO elements.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The other issue with this deal is that you're locked to specific versions. If you wanted Pokémon Red, Silver, and Sapphire, well it sucks to be you 'cuz the best you can get is Blue, Silver, and Sapphire.

I wouldn't have bought it regardless but it's nice to know that Game Freak isn't ****ty enough to dump three handheld ROMS on a cartridge and charge what I assume would be full price for it.
I dunno, they still could be. I wouldn't put it past them given recent trends.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Phantasy Star? I mean, it's recent title is still on-going in Japan, recently came to the West and is also coming out with a new game to both Japan and the West. Like I don't see why a Phantasy Star character can't be an option.

But it really shows how despite having a whole slew of titles, no one really thinks about other Sega characters. Seriously Sega, bring new titles or even remakes to some of your popular Genesis titles. Gunstar Heroes would be really appreciated cause Treasure games are underrated.
Sega failed to get sonic fans interested in their other stuff. I assume it has to do with the fact that alot of their stuff is just has very niche audiences for them.

Like i cant see the average sonic fan spending hours learning how to do gear shifts on daytona or learning how to do sandwiches in puyo puyo or comitting to million hour MMORPG with deep mechnics the require months to understand.

Nintendo atleast gaslighted the average nintendo fans into playing fire emblem with simplifying things i guess.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Obviously the reason they don't want Kiryu in Smash is because of the fact that knocking someone offstage and deleting their stock implies that they died and respawned, and as well all know, Kazuma Kiryu has never killed a man in his life.
A game-accurate Kiryu would have to be able to use Heat Actions where he slams Mario's head with a car door, makes Yoshi swallow thumbtacks and dropkicks Pikachu off a building. :roll:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I've never played Puyo Puyo and barely have researched Sakura Wars. (Actually, I have played Puyo, but not enough to have even seen Arle in it). That said- both characters appeal to me. I want to get some kind of character that feels, even just the slightest bit, like a 'magical girl' type. While neither are exactly this, and I don't see Lip happening, Puyo or Sakura would be quite fine by me. Puyo's sales, presence on the switch, and the lack of the puzzle genre, also make this a notch up for me.
They unironically both fit the archetype.

Sakura wars is basically just Sailor Moon but the girls are in their early 20s and pilot mechs instead of using wands.

Arle is self explanatory. Stuff like Rayearth, Doremi, or Precure are obvious inspirations.
I know jack about Sakura Wars, so I'd love some input on this:

Way I see it... its chances aren't as good as the frequent mentions would make it out to be. A quick search told me that only two games in the entire series came to the west (if someone could confirm this, it would be appreciated).

I'm curious if someone can bring more information about the topic. I've heard from people here why they think it would be a good choice, but not why people think it's likely.
The series pioneered the "kayo show", basically stage plays for video games and anime series which became a big thing in japan.

stageplay.png

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I don't think Sakura wars have really any chances to be in Smash. The franchise revival/reboot is way too recent and it probably wouldn't be consider before that. I know it's big in Japan, but Puyo puyo is also big, have more worldwide appeal and was still very active at the moment fighter pass 2 character was choose (which I assume was around 2019).

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Personally I don't think Sakura wars have really any chances to be in Smash. The franchise revival/reboot is way too recent and it probably wouldn't be consider before that. I know it's big in Japan, but Puyo puyo is also big, have more worldwide appeal and was still very active at the moment fighter pass 2 character was choose (which I assume was around 2019).
You do know that Three Houses did not release till like halfway through 2019 right?

I don't think that would stop it, Puyo Puyo is massive but you never know what Nintendo might pick.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
You do know that Three Houses did not release till like halfway through 2019 right?
Also consider FE is a first party and it seems likely Nintendo is the one doing initiations on who they want in smash. Not that it eliminates Sakura's chance, but I feel like that argument doesn't quite work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom