• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Yakuza is more successful than any of them. If Puyo Puyo is not in Nintendo would likely go for Yakuza.
This is Sakura Wars erasure and I Won't stand for it.

What if that ****s up because of CERO being manchildren and not wanting to promote a game with a Japanese mafia in a game for actual children?
You lost me here, They theoretically never have to mention the Yakuza outside of the American title which I don't see preventing a character getting in, even then I'm reasonably certain that a character being vaguely associated with fictionalized versions of real life organized crime would not stop a character if they really wanted one.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It still deals with the Japanese mafia though. It's the entire premise of the game. I don't think it'd be an issue, but it's still a thing.
I don't think it would be a deal breaker. Persona 5 also make you deal with Japanese mafia, along with far worse people. Appearently, depictions of organized crime is not a problem.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think it would be a deal breaker. Persona 5 also make you deal with Japanese mafia, along with far worse people. Appearently, depictions of organized crime is not a problem.
And Bayonetta's even worse when it comes to questionable content.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And Bayonetta's even worse when it comes to questionable content.
This is why I said "I don't think it'd be an issue...". The idea that I was disputing was the idea that the Japanese mafia didn't exist in the American version of Yakusa, not the idea that it probably wouldn't cause any issues with the ratings boards.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even then the gun issue seems to have been lessened because of Joker, Like they probably won't add an AK-47 to the game anytime soon but more generic firearms are possible as it seems.
There are also a ton of Metal Gear Spirits with guns:
  • Meryl Silverburgh
  • Naked Snake
  • Big Boss (who has a rifle)
  • Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid 3)
  • Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid V)
  • EVA
  • Snake (The non-Smash render Fighter Spirit, who also has a rifle)
It could very well be that guns have become a non-issue.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not to mention Yakuza is extremely stylized and very obviously fictionalized. I don't think there are Japanese mafia out there punching tigers in the face, lol.

Yakuza doesn't really have anything standing in it's way for Smash, TBH. With Puyo Puyo seemingly taking some hits with likelihood in my eyes, I'm honestly feeling Yakuza's our best bet for another Sega rep right now. Yakuza's violence is incredibly easy to tone down (especially with Kiryu) by just not having the more intense heat actions, and obviously, the lack of blood. TBH, outside of a few cutscenes and heat actions, Yakuza isn't even all that different from the stuff you already see happen in Smash Bros. :drshrug:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Even then the gun issue seems to have been lessened because of Joker, Like they probably won't add an AK-47 to the game anytime soon but more generic firearms are possible as it seems.
There are also a ton of Metal Gear Spirits with guns:
  • Meryl Silverburgh
  • Naked Snake
  • Big Boss (who has a rifle)
  • Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid 3)
  • Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid V)
  • EVA
  • Snake (The non-Smash render Fighter Spirit, who also has a rifle)
It could very well be that guns have become a non-issue.

Honestly, that's how I see the gun issue. As long as it's not explicitedly real (as in the AK-47, a gun that still sees regular use in real wars etc.) a gun can be rather realistic-looking and not face that much scrutiny from CERO / other rating orgs for the age rating. For a casual Smash player who has not played P5, Joker's gun is for all intents and purposes a real one.

As for the AK-47 (and other real guns) point, I'd honestly think that it's Nintendo who would object to that being in the game due to it conflicting heavily with the family-friendly image (and having troubling links to again, those real conflicts). If for example a CoD character comes along with that I'll admit that I misjudged, but we're also dealing with a 10+ game, so that makes an explicitedly real gun much less likely.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 290236
I know next to nothing about both the Yakuza series and the real life yakuza but I'm pretty sure the latter doesn't involve any of this
Not to mention Yakuza is extremely stylized and very obviously fictionalized. I don't think there are Japanese mafia out there punching tigers in the face, lol.
that's what the yakuza wants you to think

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, that's how I see the gun issue. As long as it's not explicitedly real (as in the AK-47, a gun that still sees regular use in real wars etc.)...
1603644013123.png
Looks to me like an AK-47 with a wonky butt and an attachment on the end. If it does have to look different, it looks like you can get really close...

Or I'm just ignorant and that's a completely different gun. Still though.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know next to nothing about both the Yakuza series and the real life yakuza but I'm pretty sure the latter doesn't involve any of this
Someone has clearly never been to Japan. Of course they punch tigers, who do you think they get money from? People? :4pacman:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sega's one of those magical companies with so many great potential Smash cannidates that you can probably make a whole smash-esque game with just their characters alone. It's crazy
Yeah, with all of the IPs I've been learning about, it's kind of a shame how quickly you dive into obscurity. It's like, Sonic for the Nintendo focused crowd, Yakusa for the Playstation crowd, Puyo Puyo for the more casual crowd, and then it's all niche, retro, and failed stuff from there.

Hopefully Virtua Fighter isn't the only IP they're planning on bringing back.

EDIT: Also Bayonetta, Shin Megami Tensei, and Persona. I keep forgetting those are Sega IPs whenever I'm trying to think of Sega IPs for some reason. It's weird, because I have no trouble noting this if I think of the franchise first.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, with all of the IPs I've been learning about, it's kind of a shame how quickly you dive into obscurity. It's like, Sonic for the Nintendo focused crowd, Yakusa for the Playstation crowd, Puyo Puyo for the more casual crowd, and then it's all niche, retro, and failed stuff from there.

Hopefully Virtua Fighter isn't the only IP they're planning on bringing back.
Phantasy Star, which has a MMO that’s gaining popularity in the west: “Am I a joke to you?”

SKX31

Smash Master
Looks to me like an AK-47 with a wonky butt and an attachment on the end. If it does have to look different, it looks like you can get really close...

Or I'm just ignorant and that's a completely different gun. Still though.
Well...

Ummmm....

Shoot.

It is in MGS 3. A game that takes place when the gun was still in production (alternate history and all, it's the Kalashnikov). And the wonky butt might be due to the MGS 3 one being Type 3 (issued 1954 / 55). EDIT: TBF its name is not mentioned, albeit it really looks like it.

Phantasy Star, which has a MMO that’s gaining popularity in the west: “Am I a joke to you?”
Ah, so that's the SEGA game for the Xbox crowd! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If we're making changes to the tracklist in-game, I'd like to propose a change to how My Music works. Instead of giving each stage an entire series's tracklist and calling it a day (plz don't make me go through 118 tracks 18 times again. I can't take it), give each stage their own tracklist like in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and allow us to add or remove whatever tracks we want from these stage tracklists. That way, you can have even more control over what plays where without pain and suffering.
You know how we have the feature to create our own custom playlists in Ultimate? Maybe we could have the option to use our playlists for stages in the My Music selection. Like you click on Pokémon Stadium in My Music, and they give you the usual list of songs, but there's a tab on the top of the page that says "Use Playlist" that gives you the option to select one of your playlists instead. This would be amazing!

But I don't think this is even possible because of copyright reasons. I heard that the Smash team had to get the okay for certain songs to play on certain stages. So I figure that would be an obstacle.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like, there's no way they'd look at their two main characters that they've been using for marketing purposes for years and go "nah, I want bed guy. That sounds like a better edition."
Maybe Sakurai wants Bedman though.

"Oh, I can just reskin Porky's Brawl model! So much less work!"

Yakuza is only it's international title. It's called Like A Dragon in Japan.
Kiryu is still a yakuza though.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No, it's just something I don't hear about much. It was only a few months ago when the games weren't in the mainstream right?

Well...

Ummmm....

Shoot.

It is in MGS 3. A game that takes place when the gun was still in production (alternate history and all, it's the Kalashnikov). And the wonky butt might be due to the MGS 3 one being Type 3 (issued 1954 / 55).
Huh, so unless deceptions of such weapons being fired raises more stipulations than just having someone holding one for some reason, gun-toting characters are probably fair game then. Even without the gun censorship that Snake received.

Too bad there aren't really any likely characters that this would effect though. At least Elma wouldn't have to use one of the weird alien Dual Guns on her normal costume if she were to get in.

You know how we have the feature to create our own custom playlists in Ultimate? Maybe we could have the option to use our playlists for stages in the My Music selection. Like you click on Pokémon Stadium in My Music, and they give you the usual list of songs, but there's a tab on the top of the page that says "Use Playlist" that gives you the option to select one of your playlists instead. This would be amazing!
That'd probably be the best way to get it running in Ultimate. You wouldn't have to do any restructuring of code, at least, in theory.

But I don't think this is even possible because of copyright reasons. I heard that the Smash team had to get the okay for certain songs to play on certain stages. So I figure that would be an obstacle.
I'm not sure it'd be too big of an issue since they were able to get all of the songs to play on Battlefield, Small Battlefield, and Final Destination as a free update. I'd imagine if it upped any royalties it would simply not have been done.

I also don't see why anyone would take issue with allowing players to play a Pokémon song on Shadow Moses Island or what have you, but then again I'm not a rights holder so eh.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
This comparison probably doesn’t actually work, but, isn’t Team Rocket technically organized crime (that happened to be present in two regions based on Japan?) They’re represented with a Mii costume in Ultimate.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
You want a random ass rep in Smash? A Sega One?

HEAR ME OUT.

Book from Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

The gimmick? He would wield a specific sword from the game, the Tasmanian Sword, which allows him to transform into other creatures on a whim. (as opposed to beign stuck in that form as he usually is in the actual game)

Not a Transformation character like PT, but rather similar to Corrin or Pac-Man's Side Special and Dash Attack. In certain moves he transforms to attack,. Smash Attacks have him turn into LION-MAN, the strongest form of all perfect for dealing damage. For his Recovery and Aerials, he turns into HAWK-MAN, allowing him to fly freely. For his Dash, he turns into MOUSE-MAN, a quick and small but powerful rodent that can climb walls. For his Up, Side and Down Specials he turns into LIZARD-MAN, allowing him to breath Fire.

For PIRANHA-MAN......................i got no clue. Swimming animation i guess? HU-MAN takes one the tilts, Jab, Grab, get up attacks with his trusty sword and gadgets plus all other animations.

In Wonder Boy TDT, all forms except Lizard used the Sword and Shield combo, but for Smash we could take some liberty. The Lion-Man instead would mawl you or let out a big roar that acts similar to Shovel Knight's Horn. The Hawk-Man would instead use his legs and wings to attack, etc.

Sega's one of those companies with so many great potential Smash cannidates that you can probably make a whole smash-esque game with just their
characters alone. It's crazy
VECTORMAN FOR SEGA ALL STARS SMASH!

I actually did a roster for a hypothetical SEGA Crossover game, i still think i have it in my computer (No pictures unfortunately, only text)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

HEAR ME OUT.

The gimmick? He would wield a specific sword from the game, the Tasmanian Sword, which allows him to transform into other creatures on a whim. (as opposed to beign stuck in that form as he usually is in the actual game)

Not a Transformation character like PT, but rather similar to Corrin or Pac-Man's Side Special and Dash Attack. In certain moves he transforms to attack,. Smash Attacks have him turn into LION-MAN, the strongest form of all perfect for dealing damage. For his Recovery and Aerials, he turns into HAWK-MAN, allowing him to fly freely. For his Dash, he turns into MOUSE-MAN, a quick and small but powerful rodent that can climb walls. For his Up, Side and Down Specials he turns into LIZARD-MAN, allowing him to breath Fire.

For PIRANHA-MAN......................i got no clue. Swimming animation i guess? HU-MAN takes one the tilts, Jab, Grab, get up attacks with his trusty sword and gadgets plus all other animations.

In Wonder Boy TDT, all forms except Lizard used the Sword and Shield combo, but for Smash we could take some liberty. The Lion-Man instead would mawl you or let out a big roar that acts similar to Shovel Knight's Horn. The Hawk-Man would instead use his legs and wings to attack, etc.
A Dragon's Trap or Monster Boy rep would be probably one of the most pleasant surprises to have in Smash. Getting the soundtracks of either would be a blessing too:

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
First two weeks of December.

If not that, the back half of December will be dedicated to pushing their new releases. So I wouldn't expect a new character if not in the first two weeks until January next year at best, if not February. No later than March at worst.

This is in regards to reveal only. We are not getting a release before February.

November is guaranteed dead air bc of both COVID and Steve would still be recent at that time, drawing the hype away from him would be bad for business.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I kinda do have a feeling we will see a TGA reveal this year. There’s a lot of evidence that Byleth was originally meant to be shown at TGA but something went wrong along the way (for starters, the fact Byleth’s trailer doesn’t begin with the cross fade intro of other trailers)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

HEAR ME OUT.

His name wasn't Wonder Boy? Huh. The more you know.

I like this idea, but I think that since Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a remake of Wonder Boy III, and the transformation mechanics seem to be exclusive to that game, I'm not sure it would be fitting.

I would instead give it to Jin from Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and give Book some of the more general mechanics found throughout his series.

EDIT: And of course, I support them both thoroughly.

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Yeah so trailer in December perhaps during the VGA

VECTORMAN FOR SEGA ALL STARS SMASH!

I actually did a roster for a hypothetical SEGA Crossover game, i still think i have it in my computer (No pictures unfortunately, only text)
You should do a thread on how you see an hypothetical SEGA Crossover game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know I kinda do have a feeling we will see a TGA reveal this year. There’s a lot of evidence that Byleth was originally meant to be shown at TGA but something went wrong along the way (for starters, the fact Byleth’s trailer doesn’t begin with the cross fade intro of other trailers)
I mean, I HAVE seen people claim that November and December are usually good months for Smash-related news, so I guess we could get SOMETHING soon. Though, do you have evidence Byleth was supposed to be a TGA reveal, or is that just speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom