• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
(Enter the doctor)
Little did we know that Hero was just a taste of things to come.

The item character cometh.

Me but with Chrono Trigger. Crono couldn't be more boring compared to his party members IMO. I mean if he gets in I won't raise a fuss, but I just prefer... every other playable character in his game to him.
For me, Crono is one of those characters who's actions speaks for himself, and he's pretty engaging as a character in that regard.

As far as how engaging goes, I'd put him between Amaterasu and Link, with Amaterasu being amazing, and Link being high up there. Less engaging protagonists of this nature for me are Cross, who is pretty meh, and Elio, who's near permanent smile actively harms practically every scene's tone.

Bro if Sakurai adds Jack-o I would be over the moon
Inb4 she doesn't play Super Smash Bros. either. :p

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Its a bit shame that base game didn’t get these 4 fighters; Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kids and Elma.
Not even a little.

You get 2 very big “eternal” requests from first party IPs, complementing Ridley and King K Rool as the big quarter
Which didn't need complimenting, because that was already huge.

With that, I think base game would have feel very complete and people would be a bit more relaxed with DLC choices.
Anyone that didn't feel that way with Ridley, Rool and "Everyone is here" is never going to feel that way.

Sol is pretty rarely talked about at all.
Only every time I mention Kunio. Which is a lot.

I think you are overlooking Blazblue here.
I think the causal audience are more familiar with Blazblue than with Guilty Gear.
Lol, no.

Before Xrd, maybe. But after Xrd, no way. That game won best looking game of the year awards and paved the way for DBFZ. Everyone knows it now.

You being so slow that you basically can't play the game until a set amount of time has passed sounds pretty terrible to be honest.
Kinda sounds like Steve...

It's a rough life being a GG/BB fan but not caring about Sol/Ragna at all. There are so many more interesting characters IMO. Pick anyone that isn't Sol/Ragna/Ky/Jin and I would pop off.

Me but with Chrono Trigger. Crono couldn't be more boring compared to his party members IMO. I mean if he gets in I won't raise a fuss, but I just prefer... every other playable character in his game to him.
I take solace in the fact that his FS would be a Triple Tech. Ideally, Triple Raid, but I'd also accept Delta Force.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
A bit of a random question I wanted to throw out there: do you think Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter is better represented in Smash as his classic polygon look like he is now, or should they have gone for his modern look?

osby

Smash Obsessed
A bit of a random question I wanted to throw out there: do you think Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter is better represented in Smash as his classic polygon look like he is now, or should they have gone for his modern look?

Honestly, I like his modern look better but his polygon look is pretty damn iconic and distinct so I have no real complaints.

I just wish modern Akira had a Spirit, along with more Virtua Fighter content in general.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I think these are all worth discussing, even if they aren't characters everyone thinks are likely.

Dark Souls in particular I think gets passed over for two reasons. Its history is mainly on Playstation, with only the first game coming to Switch with the rerelease. Not necessarily the biggest deal, but it's a thing to think about.
Your first point about Dark Souls is interesting to me because Devil May Cry shares a similar history yet Dante is viewed as one of the most likely currently.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I could stop whistling and speak my mind, but I assume that most people don't want to see that.

Don't assume people are hypocrites just because they aren't constantly repeating the same thing.
By all means, if you still feel that way then that's perfectly fair.
I was actually referring to the people who thought that he wouldn't or couldn't get in at all because of how he functions.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Bro if Sakurai adds Jack-o I would be over the moon

As much as I agree I’m not really sure that Crouch Animation is really all that appropriate for the Good Boys & Girls though

Honestly, I like his modern look better but his polygon look is pretty damn iconic and distinct so I have no real complaints.

I just wish modern Akira had a Spirit, along with more Virtua Fighter content in general.

Yep, same here. Lots of good opinions in here today.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But what if... Crono's moveset was based on Double Techs, therefore including his entire party in his attacks?

You gotta admit, that would make him stand out.

I find his modern look super generic so I prefer the polygons, that said if he were playable I'd understand if they went for the modern one. Though that with the polygonal one as an alt would be ideal.

As an AT I think the polygons work best to immediately explain what game he's from, plus he sticks out more that way.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But what if... Crono's moveset was based on Double Techs, therefore including his entire party in his attacks?

You gotta admit, that would make him stand out.
Like I said, I could see that for the FS. But it would be weird to have that in his normal moveset.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
We have Bayonetta. So I'm assuming that only extreme cases like Mai are prohibited.
The ironic thing about that is the fact that Mai's series is predominantly T-rated for one reason or another here in the States, while Bayo is a hard M. It's just funny to think about for some of us.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why would it be weird? It's a key mechanic of CT's battle system. I think it'd be very fitting as Crono's gimmick.
Personally, I just think it'd be pretty hard to implement a way for a character to implement a lot of character models phasing in and out of existence and have it look "natural." Perhaps if it was restricted to special attacks, but then you'd only get 4 attacks out of that.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think there are a few Capcom characters not from Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, or Ace Attorney that might have a better chance than most realize. Amaterasu gets occasional attention here but given the potential curveball factor I don't think an Arthur from Ghosts N' Goblins, Spencer from Bionic Commando, or even someone from Onimusha can be entirely ruled out.
There's also Strider, who's less mentioned than Hayabusa, even if I'd probably prefer the latter, both are pretty sick. I don't think they'd add Regina from Dino Crisis. But Morrigan could be compared to Captain Falcon, in that they are known for their crossover fighting game appearances rather than new games of their own.

There's also Joe Musashi and the other protags from Shinobi if you need more examples of sick ninjas aside from Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

If he were playable, I would say his modern design, with his old polygon look as an alt, like Wireframe Mac, more or less.

As long as he yells, "JUNEN HIEN DAI YO!" It's fine by me. But if I had to pick one SEGA series, I think my first choice would be Streets of Rage. Axel or Blaze would be fine by me.

Personally, I just think it'd be pretty hard to implement a way for a character to implement a lot of character models phasing in and out of existence and have it look "natural." Perhaps if it was restricted to special attacks, but then you'd only get 4 attacks out of that.
Maybe, but Phoenix Wright has Maya pop in and out from the side of the screen, Though I guess he's a goofier character than Crono would be theoretically.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is the case for the other languages the original AA trilogy had, but the spanish localization of the first three games was made by Nintendo IIRC.
That's why the HD re-release doesn't have spanish localization. Capcom added multiple languages as free updates after the release of the HD trilogy, but the game is still not available in spanish, which is strange because the original games had spanish subs on the DS. Keep in mind that the HD trilogy is not only on 3DS/Switch but also Steam or PS4 so if some of the translations were paid/made by Nintendo Capcom wouldn't be able to use them. At that point I guess Capcom didn't wanted to make a new spanish localization, probably because they consider the series isn't popular enough in spanish speaking regions (the franchise stopped getting spanish translations after Apollo Justice).
It also was pretty much the case with the Italian translation of the 3ds AA games, not to mention that those games didn't get a physical release in the West.
I don't think the fact that Nintendo isn't as involved with the series as it used to be it's necessarily the reason why this happened though.

On that note, didn't Nintendo also had some kind of involvement with the development of the first AA? It was probably something like "You know, you can do this and that with the GBA hardware", nothing major or whatever, but I'd say that the saying that it was" just another series that just so happened to be Nintendo exclusive" is selling it short, at least a little bit.

Does that qualify Phoenix as an "Honorary Nintendo character"? Probably not, and even like others pointed out it doesn't really mean anything in a post-Cloud, post-Joker world. I just think that is more about giving the series credits where is due.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why would it be weird? It's a key mechanic of CT's battle system. I think it'd be very fitting as Crono's gimmick.
As much as I would love Crono, you have to think about stuff like 4 - 8 player smash and how much the cpu would fry up trying to render all the character animations if you have Crono dittos doing all those special moves. It's not like Pokemon Trainer or Morgana who don't need to be there. Crono's friends would be joining in with him in the attack and it wouldn't make sense for Crono to use a double tech on his own. I mean you could just not show them but it would look a little unprofessional.

I think Crono would be fine using only single tech moves for his specials and introduce a Triple Tech combo with each of his friends for his final smash.

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Not even a little.

Which didn't need complimenting, because that was already huge.

Anyone that didn't feel that way with Ridley, Rool and "Everyone is here" is never going to feel that way.
That's such a weird take to me. You seriously think it's so unlikely that the majority of "first-party fans" have just one or two dream characters that would've satisfied them forever?

I.D.

Smash Lord
People need to understand too that from Sakurai's perspective, it's probably hard for him to justify adding more and more characters to the (admittedly bloated by Fire Emblem) RPG side of the game without giving them something specific from their games to make them feel more distinct. Probably why Cloud uses his limit breaks instead of generic materia spells, why Hero turned out the way he did and why he said "**** it" and gave Byleth the weapons of other characters.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Crono himself but... if you could spice him up a bit with team techs, wouldn't you?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just have Dual Techs work like Captain Ginyu's summons work in DBFZ, the characters go in rotation regardless of which special moves you use. First time you use a special move, it's just Crono, after that, the next one uses Lucca, the next one uses Marle, then Frog, Robo and finally going back to Crono again. Sure, that's 4 more models to make but they only have 4 animations each

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just have Dual Techs work like Captain Ginyu's summons work in DBFZ, the characters go in rotation regardless of which special moves you use. First time you use a special move, it's just Crono, after that, the next one uses Lucca, the next one uses Marle, then Frog, Robo and finally going back to Crono again. Sure, that's 4 more models to make but they only have 4 animations each
With how ambitious some of the DLC was, creating new models for a potential Crono moveset isn't really that crazy of a thought.

We just got a character that required the team to work on every single goddamn stage just for a single B button move to work, so at this point, the only limit I think they have is their budget........and how stingy Square Enix will be.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think there are a few Capcom characters not from Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, or Ace Attorney that might have a better chance than most realize. Amaterasu gets occasional attention here but given the potential curveball factor I don't think an Arthur from Ghosts N' Goblins, Spencer from Bionic Commando, or even someone from Onimusha can be entirely ruled out.
I personally just don't see Nintendo selecting from dead series like that, unless there's mega massive fan demand for it like with Banjo. I don't think Spencer/Amaterasu/Onimusha/etc have really driven much of a crowd in the same way.

It's the same reason that, while we're on this subject, I can't see Crono happening, as much as I'd love him to be in.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's a rough life being a GG/BB fan but not caring about Sol/Ragna at all. There are so many more interesting characters IMO. Pick anyone that isn't Sol/Ragna/Ky/Jin and I would pop off.

It's one of the few times I would like to see the main character precedent broken.
Now you know how I felt the day Ryu was revealed. It was undeniable Ryu was the most iconic, but I find him as interesting as cardboard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I personally just don't see Nintendo selecting from dead series like that, unless there's mega massive fan demand for it like with Banjo. I don't think Spencer/Amaterasu/Onimusha/etc have really driven much of a crowd in the same way.

It's the same reason that, while we're on this subject, I can't see Crono happening, as much as I'd love him to be in.
Onimusha isn't dead though, it's not exactly a big Capcom name but we literally got a remaster last year, same goes for Ammy recently having a HD remaster, who's from a more beloved game to boot. They aren't A listers but they aren't dead lmao

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Onimusha isn't dead though, it's not exactly a big Capcom name but we literally got a remaster last year, same goes for Ammy recently having a HD remaster, who's from a more beloved game to boot. They aren't A listers but they aren't dead lmao
I stand corrected then.

Still, for some reason I can't imagine the Nintendo suits actually picking something like Okami, especially over more popular Capcom series like Monster Hunter or Devil May Cry. Yeah yeah, we got Banjo before Steve/MC, but again, fan demand (and even then, Banjo was probably just a by-product of the negiotations between Nintendo and Microsoft for getting Minecraft in).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I stand corrected then.

Still, for some reason I can't imagine the Nintendo suits actually picking something like Okami, especially over more popular Capcom series like Monster Hunter or Devil May Cry. Yeah yeah, we got Banjo before Steve/MC, but again, fan demand (and even then, Banjo was probably just a by-product of the negiotations between Nintendo and Microsoft for Minecraft getting in).
We've gotten Mega Man and Ryu years before Resident Evil got any content in Smash so it isn't entirely unheard of either though. While Mega Man and Ryu certainly have more merits over Ammy, I'd say the fact that Ammy pops up in Smash discussion quite regularly suggests she's a bit like Mega Man in that regard, only she's from a beloved Wii game and not a beloved NES franchise. Obviously she's not seen as the most likely Capcom character but it just goes to show how godlike Capcom's cast of characters is that you can add 20 of them and get a generally positive reception

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I never see people talk about Amaterasu's non video game origins. Obviously her depiction in Okami is pretty distinct, but she is a mythological character like Zeus or Gilgamesh. I'm obviously not Sakurai so I cannot say whether her existence in Okami is detached enough from her myth based self. I've just always thought it was interesting that she never gets the kind of talk characters like Geralt get.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I never see people talk about Amaterasu's non video game origins. Obviously her depiction in Okami is pretty distinct, but she is a mythological character like Zeus or Gilgamesh. I'm obviously not Sakurai so I cannot say whether her existence in Okami is detached enough from her myth based self. I've just always thought it was interesting that she never gets the kind of talk characters like Geralt get.
A big thing holding back non game characters seems to be liscencing. We have prescidence in content with non game origins with the likes of Dracula and stuff.

From what I can tell, Amaterasu as a mythological figure is public domain, so I think she'd be in the clear.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think it's probably because her depiction in Okami games is much more obviously different compared to Geralt's, for example.

Like, if you know that the Witcher series started as a novel, but never read it, you wouldn't be able to tell how different Geralt is. Meanwhile, even a quick google search would tell you that Amaterasu's depiction (along with a good chunk of the japanese mythos in Okami) are very different even from a visual perspective - despite being obviously influenced by the originals.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A big thing holding back non game characters seems to be liscencing.

I think it's worth noting that Amaterasu is public domain, so I think she'd be in the clear.
Eh, you see people use it on Zhao Yun from Dynasty Warriors too despite historical figures being public domain too

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was thinking about the Bomberman Mii costume and Mortal Kombat, and it got me thinking. What if they added a 'Mortal Kombat Ninja' mii costume based on the retro ninja design that, just like the Bomberman costume, can change color? Would Mortal Kombat fans be cool with that?

View attachment 290082
No- I'd rather just not have it. I think the proportions would be all off. I don't understand this thought process that anyone could just become a preMiium. Mii's have a certain height, and some characters just really would look off in that height. I think we would have gotten a real Heihachi deluxe if it made sense for human-sized characters to be Mii's.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think if Guilty Gear or BlazeBlue get a Fighter at all, it would like;ly be handled like ARMS. In which that the Fighter would likely be some random one off since ArcSys doesn't have a consistent mascot. May could be very sick not gonna lie. Milla Rage, so many others. It could be very hype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom