• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Prepare to be pissed off then
That beta title screen has everything that could pass as a bootleg, but no one's found a previously existing image on the internet showing this combination of Pokemon+stock photo.
Hate to burst y’all’s bubble buuuuuuuuttttttt

u just got PRANKED

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Hate to burst y’all’s bubble buuuuuuuuttttttt

u just got PRANKED
Wait what?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Are there any Characters you guys don't want, and Why?
Screw it. I'm going to say a gamer opinion.

I don't like either the Dragonborn or Reimu.

For real though, I don't see what the problem is with expressing dislike over a character. As long as you acknowledge that it's just your opinion, just say what about them you don't like, something like "I don't like how they look" or "I prefer that character over this character I don't like" and people on the other side of the view can respectfully disagree with it then it's all good. People complain about characters all the time on this thread, make up some arbitrary excuse as to why they can't join Smash bros and they get ganged up on. Hell, even the retort against these types of comments are "Just say you don't like the character." So this thread should be okay with saying who you don't like, it's just they don't like it when you try gate-keeping them.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Yup. It also has Mega Evolutions if it is legit.

Well the topic will change to another Pokemon discussion again, so I'm going to spill the news here.

The Sword/Shield Beta was apparently leaked and it contains every single Pokemon in it.
Better get some popcorn ready if this is true, Pokemon fansites are going to be fun reading.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, being an unexpected character does not make you inherently a great pick.

I can see why unexpected picks can be good. I really do.

But I don’t really know that the lack of one inherently decreases the quality of a character of the so highly revered “popular characters”.

Like, I don’t know. For years it’s been, “Waluigi, BWD, and Isaac will be in because they’re popular!” But the moment we get a possible pass with 4 popular characters it’s not good enough because it’s “got too many popular characters”.

I don’t know what to think of that. Is it that there’s too many popular characters, or just not the right popular characters?
There's a couple reasons. One is that it feels like it defeats the point of speculation when we're right on the money not even halfway through the pass. Then it just becomes a slog because it's the same thing until the end. This would be fine if they're popular with you specifically, but personally, I'm fairly neutral on the vast majority of the current "hot topic" characters, besides Dante and to a lesser degree, Monster Hunter. If it turns out we've got about a year of characters that make me go "Huh, they're pretty cool. Who's next?", it's gonna be real boring for me.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

But I don’t really know that the lack of one inherently decreases the quality of a character of the so highly revered “popular characters”.

Like, I don’t know. For years it’s been, “Waluigi, BWD, and Isaac will be in because they’re popular!” But the moment we get a possible pass with 4 popular characters it’s not good enough because it’s “got too many popular characters”.

I don’t know what to think of that. Is it that there’s too many popular characters, or just not the right popular characters?
What me and most people meant by popular is more like popular to speculate about. Not in terms of sales or attention to Smash, that could still fall in line with this say if we get a Dark Souls character.

Like I've said, Joker, Hero, Terry, Byleth, Min Min and even Steve to a smaller extent were either not feeling plausible or barely even whispered. Sure Hero's code name gave him away and brought him to the spotlight but even then we focused on Erdrick and the SNK copyright on the Smash website accidentally let us know about Terry coming but that was the extent.

I'm expecting at least one more fighter we really never talked about or someone I have little to to no familiarity with.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I mean, the opposite would also be true depending on who you asked. Even in this place, people don't all hold the same opinion, so these are most likely different people.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If these were the final four. How would you guys feel?

Crash Bandicoot
Monster Hunter
Rex
Ryu Hayabusa
10/10 these are all amazing, no complaints, makes total sense choices

bUt ItS tOo PrEdIcTaBlE who cares, the surprise lasts for, what, one day? Then the character's stuck in the roster for eternity. If a choice is surprising, in my experience, it's usually because it wasn't a good one.
Already got it lol

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Contrarians want to feel special in my opinion.

"oh no, it's a character i don't care about, so im gonna call it boring because a lot of people like them!"

Most of the unexpected characters have always been my least favorites. Wii Fit Trainer in 4, Joker in FP1, R.O.B in Brawl (although i warmed up to him) and so on.

The most anticipated characters for me are the most obvious, Ridley, K.Rool, Mega Man, Little Mac. Those bring the hype to me. I guess there's also a "they were inevitable anyway" deal when it comes to characters i don't like. I didn't care for Duck Hunt in Smash 4, but the ESRB leak made me entertain the idea so i wasn't mad, as opposed to see PP for the first time and to this day is still my least favorite character reveal in Smash History. Hell, one of my least favorite gaming reveals as a whole.

Im boring, and im proud of it.

You know who I like to see as an unexpected 1st party DLC fighter? Someone from the Pilotwings series, either Lark with Kiwi as an echo/alt or one of the Flight Instructors such as Tony or Shirley. (I know you control a Flight Club student and you see what he looks like in the ending but I tended to like the Instructors in the SNES game since they had more personality.)
Wasn't Nester in Pilotwings if i remember correctly?

Also wasn't Pilotwings Restort with Miis? At least Mii Costume based on the Pilotwings outfit for those games would be nice.

I'm in a weird position where all the characters I would actively want are either assist trophies or extremely unlikely to happen in the first place. Bandana Dee is the most likely one, with Yuri Lowell being the second. A lot of people's predicted passes bum me out a little because there's a very real possibility I'll have gone the entirety of DLC without getting a character that really excited me. The closest I've gotten so far are characters that are either mechanically interesting/fun or are major wants of streamers/video creators I follow.

I don't really mind that much, since I have characters I really like already, but it would be really nice to feel the same excitement I had when Cloud appeared or when Lucas came back. I feel like there are characters that aren't on my mind that could do that, even if I'm not actively wishing for them. Because of that I hope the DLC continues to shake things up. Something unexpected could give me joy in a way a lot of the usual prospects don't, even if I would agree they are good inclusions. For me it's not really about the surprise, but more that my main interests don't really line up with speculation very often.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If the Heavily Speculated Characters are in your Most Wanted List, than Predictability is good

If they are not in your Most Wanted List, or even more, no interest or outright dislike of the characters, Unpredictability is Good
Yeah. It's nice to see Sakurai bringing in characters that no one (or very few people) expected to get in Smash, like Joker or Min Min.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm in a weird position where all the characters I would actively want are either assist trophies or extremely unlikely to happen in the first place. Bandana Dee is the most likely one, with Yuri Lowell being the second. A lot of people's predicted passes bum me out a little because there's a very real possibility I'll have gone the entirety of DLC without getting a character that really excited me. The closest I've gotten so far are characters that are either mechanically interesting/fun or are major wants of streamers/video creators I follow.

I don't really mind that much, since I have characters I really like already, but it would be really nice to feel the same excitement I had when Cloud appeared or when Lucas came back. I feel like there are characters that aren't on my mind that could do that, even if I'm not actively wishing for them. Because of that I hope the DLC continues to shake things up. Something unexpected could give me joy in a way a lot of the usual prospects don't, even if I would agree they are good inclusions. For me it's not really about the surprise, but more that my main interests don't really line up with speculation very often.
Same here. My most-wanteds are Reimu, Adol, Bandana Dee, and ****ing Klonoa. I'll be fine with just about anyone, but the majority "most likely" characters won't get me much farther than mild hype. That's why I always want to bring up "unexpected" characters; Usually, the current topic just doesn't interest me. Characters that fit that definition lie elsewhere.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Speaking of inevitable. We know its hard to predict who the final four are but are there any characters you guys are feeling are inevitable?

Personally I'm feeling Rex.
Nobody. There's far too many variables floating around for me to consider anyone inevitable, which is also why I have a hard time considering anyone as impossible unless I'm explicitly told "NO" with a Mii Costume or interview. It also gives me just a bit more to cling on to when supporting some of my less likely desires.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Speaking of inevitable. We know its hard to predict who the final four are but are there any characters you guys are feeling are inevitable?

Personally, I Don't think we getting Rex. I would even say if we got a Xenoblade Character in FP2, it wouldn't be him (Not to say we can't get him, he still has good chance)

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I don't think any characters are inevitable, Remember when a lot of people thought Travis was inevitable? look how that turned out. Or remember when Fighter 5 was "100% Dante"?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Personally, I Don't think we getting Rex. I would even say if we got a Xenoblade Character in FP2, it wouldn't be him (Not to say we can't get him, he still has good chance)
1603323113483.png

Why would they pick anyone else? He, Pyra, and Mythra are the most important characters to the plot. The only way I cold see them adding anyone else is if they added just Mythra, which would be quite odd.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest folks, my point was more that it seems as though the concept of a “popular character filled pass” sounds hypothetically good, but that’s not even measurable by folks on sites such as this one.

My post describes what I mean. There are plenty of popular characters that could fill out those 4 picks (for the record, I think we’ll get one nobody expected). But folks will shoot down something that has Crash, Dante, Doomguy, Monster Hunter, etc etc because it’s “too safe”, and then praise something including other commonly discussed characters who appear to get a pass because “popular”.

Just seems like it wasn’t about popularity, but popularity and “I too enjoy that character”.

Popular is popular. If popularity works in favor of one character, it’ll work for another. However, I think purely basing an inclusion off of popularity has not had a great track record for DLC thus far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only character I’d feel is “inevitable” is Hayabusa because of the leaks, but even that could end up not panning out. For me to actually think someone is inevitable would require a leak from Nintendo themselves like what we got with the SNK copyright mistake or Hero’s super obvious codename.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It's werid in a way that we are predicting the unpredictable. Like "yeah i see Crash as likely but im expecting Sakurai to bend over backwards and announce Peppino from Pizza Tower" kind of unexpected. Almost as if it was a rule.

I think this mindset started with Smash 4. The only expected characters that actually happened were Mega Man, Palutena, Pac-Man, Miis and Little Mac, (and Bowser Jr later though by that time few saw him as likely due to Rosalina's announcement). and the rest were curveballs. Robin, Lucina, Duck Hunt, the Koopalings as alts, Corrin, Cloud, Bayonetta (i remember when she was referred as a "hobo") and so on..

Ironically Smash Ultimate's base roster was pretty much easily agreed upon and almost all of them could be seen from miles away. Ridley? Already leaked by Vergeben, Jonneh and others. K.Rool? A lot of people expected him as soon as Ridley was announced. Simon? again, leaks, and Bomberman as an AT meant he had no competition. Isabelle, Chrom and Dark Samus? everybody noticed their absence in E3 demos. Ken? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no Ken was confirmed as soon as Daisy was.

In fact, i think Daisy was the most unexpected choice for the base roster alongside Incineroar if you believed in the Grinch (Ken was so inevitable that he was going to be in even if the Grinch Leak was real) oh and Richter too. I know this may sound like revisionist history (there were a lot of Skeptics towards Ridley, plus back then people argued that Chrom and DS could suffer the same fate Isaac would ended up getting) but most of the base roster was very easy to figure out. The most unexpected were certain roster exclusions, namely a black hedgehog.

I guess that's why everybody wants unexpected characters nowadays. I mean the first 2 were Piranha Plant and Joker, and aside from Hero and Banjo and Terry (who only got talked about because of Nintendo doing an oopsie) most of them have been dark horses.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Right now, just Jonesy, tbh. I have a few others I'd rather not get, but if it happened on these cases, I'd at least be neutral, even if I don't like their moveset. Not Mr. Fortnite though.

I'm beginning to reach a similar point with my third party wants tbh. Most are either already in the game, have been disconfirmed in other ways (like Bomberman and Rayman) or are unlikely to begin with (Klonoa, Estelle).

Outside of that, there's like... about 6 third parties I'd really care for.

That said, I can't really complain, since last Pass served me really well in that regard.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, he was the bonus Mii Fighter costume for Pass 1 and I don't know if they would promote him to playable.
Yeah but I highly doubt they'd instead go for a secondary character, or say "well Mythra is also the protagonist and she's in both games" when she would probably be included with Rex anyway just because they made a costume of him earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom