• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey regarding Voice Theory. Would Fake Crash happen to share the same voice actor as Crash? If not, this could apply given Fake Crash could end up as an alt if Crash gets in the game.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
One thing that makes me sad about Steve's inclusion is that I can't use this image anymore

Even then the formatting makes it look like Banjo sacrificed himself to stop Grotesque Steve, a role that would've actually gone to the real Steve back then. Now, I think it would work best with Travis or Bomberman, since they had the most popularity and the best deal out of Steve's wave, respectively.

SKX31

Smash Master
Gordon Freeman could potentially come close to 50 songs if they include TF2 and Portal music into the mix.
Whispers frantically about Dota 2 music. :p

Even then the formatting makes it look like Banjo sacrificed himself to stop Grotesque Steve, a role that would've actually gone to the real Steve back then. Now, I think it would work best with Travis or Bomberman, since they had the most popularity and the best deal out of Steve's wave, respectively.
Hmm, wonder if something similar could be done with this template...

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/jdrhbv

D

Deleted member

All this Rex talk has been the catalyst for me to put my exact thoughts on his chances into words and why I think he’s so difficult to discuss. Everything that’s going for him is also going against him. Or maybe I’m just trying to be too witty for my own good.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Reveal trailer for new Smash fighter, and it's this guy. What would be your thoughts on this?
Or remember when Fighter 5 was "100% Dante"?
Yes, and as someone who wants Dante... Goddamn did that made me cringe.
If these were the final four. How would you guys feel?

Crash Bandicoot
Monster Hunter
Rex
Ryu Hayabusa
I'd think of it as generic, for those four are/were tossed around often here.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
For real though, I don't see what the problem is with expressing dislike over a character. As long as you acknowledge that it's just your opinion, just say what about them you don't like, something like "I don't like how they look" or "I prefer that character over this character I don't like" and people on the other side of the view can respectfully disagree with it then it's all good. People complain about characters all the time on this thread, make up some arbitrary excuse as to why they can't join Smash bros and they get ganged up on. Hell, even the retort against these types of comments are "Just say you don't like the character." So this thread should be okay with saying who you don't like, it's just they don't like it when you try gate-keeping them.
It's not so much the fact that people dislike them at all, it's the fact that so many of these people treat their opinions as fact that they wind up dunking on literally everybody who does want the characters. That's the main issue when concerning voicing dislike over certain characters, especially the frontrunners. Don't you remember the Steveposters?

SKX31

Smash Master
Well Creepy Steve still died.
Creepy Steve's fate in GIF form:

Hey regarding Voice Theory. Would Fake Crash happen to share the same voice actor as Crash? If not, this could apply given Fake Crash could end up as an alt if Crash gets in the game.
Checks

He does not currently, but he could. Jess Hartnell's done Crash's voice since 2005, and Fake Crash did have him too. Although currently Fake Crash's is voiced by Andrew Morgado it seems.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
9 years ago today, was the first Nintendo Direct. How time flies.

We all still miss you Iwata. :crying:

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Can't believe Sakurai put me in Smash without asking, that man really is full of surprises.

(Seriously though who this)
kek
Literally who
I don’t know guys, I’d classify that character as lit.

By that I mean, literally who the ****???
I'm not sure if this is ironic or unironic, but if you really want to know... It's the MC from Summertime Saga. I do not recommend looking that up, but...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if this is ironic or unironic, but if you really want to know... It's the MC from Summertime Saga. I do not recommend looking that up, but...
asks what people will think of an NSFW character getting in
is surprised when nobody knows who he is
1603326366513.png

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
All this Rex talk has been the catalyst for me to put my exact thoughts on his chances into words and why I think he’s so difficult to discuss. Everything that’s going for him is also going against him.
Yeah, people look at the ARMS similarities as purely pros in XB2's favor without considering the differences. One's a debut franchise, the other is more of a franchise that already has a solid place in Smash and Nintendo. ARMS getting in has more in common with Shulk getting in - supporting a new franchise to help cement its place. After that, timing becomes more important.

Though 6 slots this time around does make me wonder.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Thoughts on the following?

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
Reimu makes me a happy camper. The others, I'm neutral-to-positive. My first instinct is that Phoenix and Kiryu might be a bit thematically similar, being in a mostly grounded modern Japanese society, wearing suits and somehow get dragged into the most ludicrous bull**** imaginable, but I know they wouldn't play anything alike. Still, I'd personally swap out one of them for someone a bit distinct.

Alternatively, replace Crono with Sakura, just to go the whole hog and make the entire remainder of the pass based around Japanese culture.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
Phoenix is cool; I'd prefer Neku but will warm up to Crono; and the other two are cool too.

lesser talked about characters tho, that does put a smile on my face

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
8: Okay. Don't care about him.
9: DEGUAHAAAHH (don't like her)
10: Don't care for him particulary. Would prefer Arle given the choice (and i don't even want more Sega characters)
11: I want to dislike this, but i do like Crono Trigger. I feel like his moveset would be a little stale, but given how gimmicky FP 1 and 2 have been, Crono beign run of the mill is probably for the best.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
1600368793233.png

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
I haven't played Touhou, Yakuza, or Chrono Trigger, so I can't give an opinion on those three. Phoenix Wright would be funny though.
asks what people will think of an NSFW character getting in
is surprised when nobody knows who he is

View attachment 289867
Kind of? I wouldn't expect everyone to know, but considering it's f2p and other NSFW characters like Rance and Larry Laffer are thrown around (jokingly, of course), I thought at least someone would catch on.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Try this pass on:

78: Octoling
79: Elma
80: LoL rep
81: Neku
78 - I love the Octolings and if they get in as DLC I won't complain
79 - Elma is best Xenoblade protag so I's also be happy
80 - I really dislike League of Legends so I'd be disappointed but definitely not angry because it does make a good amount of sense.
81 - Twewy is my favorite DS game so I would love Neku or honestly just Twewy music

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Try this pass on:

-I'm okay, though I feel like it would still have a sizeable bit of overlap with the base game's Splatoon representation.
-Cool, I guess. I'm pretty neutral on both her AND Rex, but I wouldn't necessarily be bothered by their inclusion.
-I want this to happen for the sole sake of watching the internet burn
-Seems pretty cool. Wouldn't be very upset by it happening. Also funny story, for some reason I though he had a spear for a short while. Dunno where that idea came from.

SKX31

Smash Master

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
Hey, 9 / 10 from me.

• Phoenix has a legitimately interesting gameplan already in UMvC3 (even if he wound up a bit limited by having to search early game, like how Steve is limited early too) and Smash could certainly build on that.
  • Reimu is up there amongst most wanted simply because I want to see Bullet Hell-esque gameplay implemented in some form.
  • Kiryu would be an interesting take on the brawler character, and certainly a character I'd support. Overhead kicks are something that's rather uncommon.
  • Crono could be interesting - he's not my personal S-E pick (that'd go to either Lara Croft or JC Denton / Adam Jensen) - but hey, Techs would be cool.

Try this pass on:

• Octoling: Maybe? Inkling's already a decently fun character to fight against (if not for the Roller, but then again, I'm a Cloud main and will spam Climbhazzard out of shield and in neutral. If it works it works.), but the different weapons could be intriguing since that could produce a vastly different gameplan.
  • Elma: Gunplay is a + because hey, inner action movie kid (similar reasons why I support Dante). I have no clue how she'd fight otherwise, but I'm not going to complain at all because it'd be a welcome surprise.
  • LoL rep: I think you should know considering I'm one of those guys who mention that game most often. I really like the genre to begin with, and the rep could come with its own mechanics, so hey, highlight.
  • Neku: As with Crono, not my personal S-E pick, but I'm not going to complain at all. Especially if whatever shenaningas that game could offer follows along.

8 / 10.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
kek

It looks like I've been burned. Well played sir.

8. Phoenix Wright
9. Reimu
10. Kiryu
11. Crono
10/10 picks right here, Phoenix Wright and Crono alone are two of my favorite candidates and Kiryu and Reimu are just top-tier characters and would make some friends extremely happy.
Try this pass on:

Octoling and Neku are top-notch, Elma and LoL are kinda meh for me but I'd respect their additions. Elma in particular has tons of fans so I'd be happy for them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
-I'm okay, though I feel like it would still have a sizeable bit of overlap with the base game's Splatoon representation.
-Cool, I guess. I'm pretty neutral on both her AND Rex, but I wouldn't necessarily be bothered by their inclusion.
-I want this to happen for the sole sake of watching the internet burn
-Seems pretty cool. Wouldn't be very upset by it happening. Also funny story, for some reason I though he had a spear for a short while. Dunno where that idea came from.
the closest thing Neku would have to a spear are his icicle psychs from D+B? they look kinda spear like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom