• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel the Monster Hunter Assist, Boss and World of Light section is all that Sakurai, Nintendo and/or Capcom felt was good enough for the series. It is mainly about monster hunting. The new game and mechanic could mean they all knew about that and decided to purposely hold off but it could just as easily become a simple spirit event. If they did know so far back I think they would've held off on even prominently including Monster Hunter to such a degree. I'd add this character into the Hayabusa ultimate 50/50 limbo.
Season 2 was decided long after when they were originally planning on ending with the first pass. They might have changed their mind by now given the franchises success and how popular it has gotten choosing Monster Hunter as among those 6.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Season 2 was decided long after when they were originally planning on ending with the first pass. They might have changed their mind by now given the franchises success and how popular it has gotten choosing Monster Hunter as among those 6.
I feel like MH, along with ARMS and XC2, are franchises considered for the base game in some form of content, could be given a second chance in Vol. 2 (since it happened with ARMS).

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, but that's why I have it as a strong 50/50 shot. It has just enough going for it in terms of sales and a new game with just enough going against it in game for a fighter inclusion materializing. The thought of thinking they changed their mind is a decently big shot in the dark.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I feel like MH, along with ARMS and XC2, are franchises considered for the base game in some form of content, could be given a second chance in Vol. 2 (since it happened with ARMS).
Most likely but Arms just had one assist and a few spirits despite being a new Nintendo fighting game IP where the option of a character is clearly more fitting representation. We'll see what happens with MH and XC2, I'd be cool with them but I don't see them as obvious as a shoe in from Nintendo or Smash's perspective.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Are the Ice Climbers siblings or lovers?
Like others have already noted, there isn’t anything official as to what their relation to each other is. I think Melee’s trophy of them says as much, too. And I believe Sakurai has said something along the lines of “They’re more than friends, less than lovers.” So take that as you will.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakurai could've taken the easy way out and made the most bland Steve moveset possible and make him a Link pseudo clone but he decided to rework ever stage in the game to make him as true to the games as possible. If that doesn't show his passion for Minecraft (besides ya know, him talking about how much he loves the game in his articles) then I don't know what will.
What I really appreciate about Steve is despite his complexity, there's still a fair bit of streamlining in there, unlike Hero's randomized chaos. The tools automatically craft the highest tier available for every weapon available, the blocks automatically place the lowest tier, etc. I just wish the Crafting Table would be simplified to the entire shield special.

What would an Ice Climber game today even look like? A 60-Dollar AAA title Ice Climber, where the game is all ice and you just climb all the time?
I'd imagine a survival type game akin to Don't Starve, but also trying to get as high up the mountain as possible. Maybe add in some BotW climbing mechanics.

I don't know why we're climbing the mountain, though.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What would an Ice Climber game today even look like? A 60-Dollar AAA title Ice Climber, where the game is all ice and you just climb all the time?
Honestly given the talent in today's indie scene, you could probably get a smaller developer to put together a decent $20-$30 modern 2D (rouguelike?) platformer that expands on the central idea of Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't know why we're climbing the mountain, though.
I'd imagine that bird from the original Ice Climber game stole all of Popo and Nana's food, and they have to get it back because they're already too high up the mountain to go down. That was at least the "story" of the original game, or at least my interpretation of it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Maybe like a Mirror's Edge type deal?
Sounds like every snowy area in BotW.

NGL, I'd be curious. :drshrug:

Dark Bagel had a wonderful idea and I responded to that a month ago, so lets expand on that:

• Bill Hader as Popo
  • Samuel L. Jackson as Nana
  • Tommy Lee Jones as the (main) Polar Bear
  • Judi Dench cameos as a Polar Bear who helps the Climbers out.
  • Tom Hardy as the Condor (with a Bane mask of course)
  • A message focused around the Condor ****ing up the North Pole and the Ice Climbers being really sick of that.
  • Hardcore parkour action. You're right cashregister9 cashregister9 , we should add that. Bonus points if we also incorporate ideas from Death Stranding like Wunderwaft Wunderwaft suggested, such as building ropes to the next Icicle Mountain by doing parkour.
  • The combat should be all about getting the sickest Wobble / Chaingrab / Grab combo from Ultimate on enemies. With a system that rewards the combos.
  • Rated M for Money.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I think an interesting observation about the Monster Hunters is that the MH devs are not usually that keen on having the hunters on other games. Apparently it took a lot of discussion and negotiation to even have them as DLC for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. I wonder if that's a reason enough for them to not have as much of a shot as many would give them, though Sakurai is known to make the impossible become possible. Plus, i really doubt the devs wouldn't be convinced to lend the hunters as fighters, though MH has been in the main game since the start.

Or maybe they see the monsters as more iconic to their series and those are notoriously very hard to make playable because of their ridley. Hmmm, i actually not that sure on Monster Hunter now but we have been proven wrong before

I'd imagine that bird from the original Ice Climber game stole all of Popo and Nana's food, and they have to get it back because they're already too high up the mountain to go down. That was at least the "story" of the original game, or at least my interpretation of it.
That's... some Kirby level storytelling if I've ever seen it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
an open world/collectathon hybrid, where Popo and Nana need to scour every millimeter of a gigantic mountain to retrieve their village's crops. You can do it solo, but both players can work at the same time to get the job done in half the ime (both players can do their own thing, like in that multiplayer Mario 64 mod).

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If this leak is fake, then the guy who made it has to be the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. This guy would be more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is more likely.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
If this leak is fake, then the guy who made it has to be the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. This guy would be more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is more likely.
................did you just went Copypasta meme? Im sure i heard this one before.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Amusing to think every character in the Grinch Leak is now featured in Ultimate somehow, whether it be character, assist, spirit, or what have you.
I don't know what you're talking about.

If they aren't playable, they aren't in Smash. You absolute BUFFOON. If it's not playable it's NOTHING!!11!

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I only got into Smash at the beginning of Ultimate and actually became involved in hardcore speculation shortly before Min Min. I feel so lost right now.
Lemme tell ya, I joined like a month before grinch happened and to this very day, I'd say it was probably the most insane period of speculation I've been a part of.

Place pretty much became 4chan for a whole week

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I only got into Smash at the beginning of Ultimate and actually became involved in hardcore speculation shortly before Min Min. I feel so lost right now.
that reminds me that I need to make a FitMC-esque youtube channel discussing Smashboards history. It would be great, it would make those events seem like ancient legends and glorious wars and not the "angry people typing on their keyboard for 12 hours" that it was.

I could even inject propaganda!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Dude could you imagine if someone tried to do Grinch Leak 2?

The Uzaki Chan leak. Someone has a Uzaki Chan picture from the upcoming Season 2 and also leaks the the rest of the Figher's Pass: Sophia the 3rd, Saber, Crash Bandicoot and Bandanna Dee. and goes Super Saiyan Cacomallow with ****ty recordings of gameplay footage of the actual characters that are convincing but not really and then ANOTHER CRASH Leak appears and coincides with it and gigaleak 2 appears and **** happens. then the site goes into Civil War, this time with the insiders going in FAVOR of the leak, cementing it as "truth" this time around and beign championed by many insiders, taking the internet by storm and beign featured as the main topic of all website, crashing Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Tumblr (is that thing still Alive?) Newgrounds, Deviantart, and Smashboards

.................only for all of it to be confirmed fake when Dixie Kong is revealed as a unique character, and Saber is a spirit event, Bandanna Dee is a Mii Hat, Jason is a Mii Gunner Costume, with only Crash beign playable.

That should explain it all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You can't ****ing lie, they said this **** about SSB4 Rayman too.

SKX31

Smash Master

You're in for some sweet pre-release drama!
Maybe it's the best for my sanity that I was only vaguely aware of the leak (as "heard the name, nothing more really") and was actually coming into the November 2018 Direct with very little expectations re: characters.

I was honestly still a bit miffed over the infamous EVO 2018 Final (Edit: The Smash 4 one, The Melee one was good ^^ ) instead and looked forward to Ultimate's mechanical changes at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom