• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aw man...Oh well, I guess. Still pulling for my favorite attorney though.

In this case characters with alts that could come to mind.

Crash + Coco
Monster Hunter; Male + Female
Nightmare + Siegfried

Anyone else I could be missing?

And also may I remind you for the first one in case anyone points it out that characters needs to only have the same hitbox which Crash and Coco does. Fem Byleth is shorter then Male Byleth and also Jr. and the Koopalings have different body proportions.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Crash + Coco
Nightmare + Siegfried

And also may I remind you for the first one in case anyone points it out that characters needs to only have the same hitbox which Crash and Coco does. Fem Byleth is shorter then Male Byleth and also Jr. and the Koopalings have different body proportions.
Male and Female Octoling?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I Could see an issue was that there was Speculation that Sega doesn't want Sonic Overshadowed, so perhaps a 2nd Character might be an issue there because there's a Fear that Sonic would get Overshadowed.
Sounds like the perfect excuse to redo his moveset alongside a newcomer. lol

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
With the context of Rex, I thought you were poking fun at his voice direction for the first fight scene with Malos.

What gets me about that scene is not only did the scream sound bad the first time, but they even reused it within the same cutscene. lol

Also that little "Ya!" at the end of the scream.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I believe @StrangeKitten mentioned this earlier in the day, but I think Dr. Eggman could be plausible for FP2.

Sonic and Eggman were the two that started it all (as in, they were the only ones in the original Sonic game), and I feel like Sonic is one of those 3rd parties begging for a second rep.

Eggman has appeared in so many different types of machinery that I think a DLC gimmick could work for him (especially if his mechs can break and he has to run on foot like he does sometimes).

I'm not sure if he'd be stuck in the same boat as Dr. Wily, but I really think people are sleeping on Eggman. In fact, the man himself is faster than Sonic!

I'd love a second Sonic rep, but I don't think it's happening. I think that everything that's been DLC in Ultimate disconfirms, and that includes the Sonic costumes that were added with Joker

SKX31

Smash Master
That magazine also says Dragon's Quest.
Yeeaaah... that speaks to how the Dragon Quest / Dragon Warrior translations lead to misunderstandings etc. After some digging I found the original Japanese footage ABC used as well as a 30 minute special that national Japanese TV ran on DQ III (complete with who I believe is Horii making a guest appearance 6 minutes in). No seriously, the special does confirm how big DQ III was, and gives credence to the reports that the queues at release were insanely huge.

The historian in me is honestly glad that the reports from that time can still be accesssed.

Ayumi Tachibana, Venus of the Desert Bloom this might be of interest to you two.

Quick topic change: We should get an event-announcement tonight, right? (its in the middle of the night if you live in germany that is, aren't time-zones fun?).
Any ideas/ hopes/ wishes/ predictions?
Same timezone here, no worries. Think that EU is generally ahead of US by 6 (Eastern US) to 9 hours (Western US).

As for predictons, Steve's tournament. But hoping for another - or even return of - crazy ruleset tournament (Nintendo's kinda missed the ball here - there was a really interesting one with Spirits, although that was unbalanced as hell, and another one where it was Player + Amiibo. Nintendo could certainly do more with online tournaments. Pipedream is double elimination tournament mode, although that's never been included in Nintendo's tournament mode. Which is a shame.).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know next to nothing about Crash so can y’all tell me the chances of him getting a Coco alt?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I know next to nothing about Crash so can y’all tell me the chances of him getting a Coco alt?
In N-Sane Trilogy and in Crash 4, Coco plays completely identically to Crash and is thus effectively a costume.

However, her proportions are a little bit different (I think her shoulders are narrower? I’d have to double check) and basically all of her animations are completely different, so they wouldn’t save much work via making her a costume, depending on how accurately they want to portray her.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Coco and Crash have very different frames, but Sakurai has gotten creative with that before. Definitely don't want an Endercoco situation, though.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Crash + Coco
Nightmare + Siegfried

Sakura and Sakura
Arle and Amitie
Joe Musashi and Hotsuma

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Is Composite Bandicoot going to be the new composite ARMS rep? At least that had an end date.
huh? are people saying its gonna be japanese crash or something? i got no clue what a composite bandicoot is

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
It can happen that Activision “forces” Nintendo to put Crash with Coco as an alt. They like to paired them together. As I said before, they changed Enderman proportions to fit as Steve’s alt. Everything can happen in Sakurai’s hands.

But voice theory is a bit ambiguous, almost all avatar type characters have male/female variants (lasts Fire Emblem protagonists like Robin, Corrin or Byleth, Pokemon Trainer, Monster Hunter, Chosen Undead, Dovakhiin, Astral Chain twins, etc). Its a very common feature in modern games that you can design the protagonist.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Regardless, if Crash happens, Sakurai can make it work, even with the addition of Coco. What doesn't make sense for us will be methodically put together in Sakurai's head.

I think my main takeaway is that if a Coco alt happens, the models won't be based on Crash 4. If there is no Coco alt, any design is fair game.

From what I've seen (I haven't played any Crash games besides the racing one) I like Crash 4's character designs better, but that's just me. That said, Crash in that game is a giant upside-down triangle while Coco is very much not. It would be very difficult to get those skeletons to line up well. Even if you managed to program the hurtboxes to be identical, the devs would still need to program separate animations for everything, since the proportions don't match and the limbs couldn't do the same things and get the same result.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Crash/Coco could be a Byleth situation where they're in the same slot but could have slightly different animations in things like taunts.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash/Coco could be a Byleth situation where they're in the same slot but could have slightly different animations in things like taunts.
Plus Fem Byleth is shorter than Male Byleth.

Also, don't forget.

Enderman

Koopalings.

Totally different heights and proportions. Don't understand how this is even an argument, just as long as you have the same hitbox which Crash and Coco would.

Do people keep forgetting about that?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Plus Fem Byleth is shorter than Male Byleth.

Also, don't forget.

Enderman

Koopalings.

Totally different heights and proportions. Don't understand how this is even an argument, just as long as you have the same hitbox which Crash and Coco would.
Dude was just talking about taunts though, :ultbyleth::ultbylethf: get different poses depending on the genitals equipped.

SKX31

Smash Master

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Oh I remember. I was there with Xeno VII/you (I think you were Tord for a while too?) and a few others before Verge blew open the floodgates.
Yeah, Tord the Red Leader.
I wanted Simon and Megaman the moment Snake was revealed. Because I wanted my Captain N reunion.
I wanted him since E3's reveal of Smash 4. Guess that Mega Man trailer activated my instinct.

Smash needs a giant robot (and more heavies), Panzer Paladin for smash.
How about a TANK?

And since someone already mentioned Metal Slug:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Live footage of Sakurai figuring out how to design the next character:

:4pacman:
Speaking of...

This made me think of how Sakurai wouldn't force his team to make a character if he can't think of a good moveset for them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of...

This made me think of how Sakurai wouldn't force his team to make a character if he can't think of a good moveset for them.
Reminds me of how people hate on Steve because Sakurai was "forced" to work on him.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
If this theory actually does mean anything, I assume it's going to be for Monster Hunter.
I feel the Monster Hunter Assist, Boss and World of Light section is all that Sakurai, Nintendo and/or Capcom felt was good enough for the series. It is mainly about monster hunting. The new game and mechanic could mean they all knew about that and decided to purposely hold off but it could just as easily become a simple spirit event. If they did know so far back I think they would've held off on even prominently including Monster Hunter to such a degree. I'd add this character into the Hayabusa ultimate 50/50 limbo.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Reminds me of how people hate on Steve because Sakurai was "forced" to work on him.
Sakurai could've taken the easy way out and made the most bland Steve moveset possible and make him a Link pseudo clone but he decided to rework ever stage in the game to make him as true to the games as possible. If that doesn't show his passion for Minecraft (besides ya know, him talking about how much he loves the game in his articles) then I don't know what will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom