• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I believe @StrangeKitten mentioned this earlier in the day, but I think Dr. Eggman could be plausible for FP2.

Sonic and Eggman were the two that started it all (as in, they were the only ones in the original Sonic game), and I feel like Sonic is one of those 3rd parties begging for a second rep.

Eggman has appeared in so many different types of machinery that I think a DLC gimmick could work for him (especially if his mechs can break and he has to run on foot like he does sometimes).

I'm not sure if he'd be stuck in the same boat as Dr. Wily, but I really think people are sleeping on Eggman. In fact, the man himself is faster than Sonic!

I doubt another Sonic rep is getting in because how strict Sega can be with other companies handling Sonic. The fact that Sonic played a part in delaying Brawl's development and the development hell Sonic Boom went through makes me believe Sega is very particular with how Sonic is represented in games they don't make.

That's how I see it anyway.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I keep saying this over and over, but I'm fairly certain we won't be seeing secondary third party characters as DLC. I just think it'd be rather disappointing to go up to SEGA with the potential of bringing in an entirely new series from them like Puyo Puyo or Yakuza, only to just get...another Sonic character.

I think maybe they could start adding in characters like Chun-Li and Eggman in the next Smash, but right now I think the rest of the DLC should be focused on first party characters and all new third party franchises, preferably more of the latter.
Why not have a Mix.

Some First Party, All New 3rd party Franchises, and Secondary Characters from 3rd parties. It Appeals to Everyone then.

I believe @StrangeKitten mentioned this earlier in the day, but I think Dr. Eggman could be plausible for FP2.

Sonic and Eggman were the two that started it all (as in, they were the only ones in the original Sonic game), and I feel like Sonic is one of those 3rd parties begging for a second rep.

Eggman has appeared in so many different types of machinery that I think a DLC gimmick could work for him (especially if his mechs can break and he has to run on foot like he does sometimes).

I'm not sure if he'd be stuck in the same boat as Dr. Wily, but I really think people are sleeping on Eggman. In fact, the man himself is faster than Sonic!

Even as Someone that Wants Shadow More than all the other characters, even I Have to acknowledge that Eggman honestly has more merit to get in. He's present in 99% of Sonic Media, including the Sonic Movie.

I guess the only thing is how they'd be able to Implement him. Would he just have one mech, Multiple Mechs, Is he gonna Show off his Fighting skills and his Faster than Sound Speed

7NATOR

Smash Master
I doubt another Sonic rep is getting in because how strict Sega can be with other companies handling Sonic. The fact that Sonic played a part in delaying Brawl's development and the development hell Sonic Boom went through makes me believe Sega is very particular with how Sonic is represented in games they don't make.

That's how I see it anyway.
I thought Sonic Boom's Problem was that they tried to Make Rise of Lyric a Wii U Exclusive when it was being developed for Xbox One and PS4, and they made the Sonic 06 Mistake and tried to Rush the Development team

As for Brawl, they intailly didn't want Sonic in the game, but they changed their mind and they delayed the game for him. Sonic has been making Smash Appearances ever Since

In any case, if You look a Lego Dimensions , OK KO, Ninjala, Fall Guys, Sonic goes Places and it seems Sega isn't as strict as one might think. I Do think they have Mandates even concerning games (I Know about the one for the Comics), Which explains why Sonic doesn't show as much emotion in Smash 4 and Ultimate as he does in Brawl perhaps, but I don't think it's very Strict. Alot of Sonic Characters are already Present as Spirits, Shadow and Knuckles are Assist Trophies, and Tails and Knuckles are Mii Costumes.

What I Could see an issue was that there was Speculation that Sega doesn't want Sonic Overshadowed, so perhaps a 2nd Character might be an issue there because there's a Fear that Sonic would get Overshadowed. I think alot of that comes from Shadow not getting into Base roster as an echo (because people are still perplexed to this day why he wasn't added), and perhaps how Sega is treating the Franchise. I don't think this is the Case though, and Shadow not getting in as an Echo was for Different Reasons, Like him being an echo not fitting. It's a Possibility though

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Even as Someone that Wants Shadow More than all the other characters, even I Have to acknowledge that Eggman honestly has more merit to get in. He's present in 99% of Sonic Media, including the Sonic Movie.

I guess the only thing is how they'd be able to Implement him. Would he just have one mech, Multiple Mechs, Is he gonna Show off his Fighting skills and his Faster than Sound Speed
This is the beauty of having DLC gimmicks, I'm sure Sakurai could figure out a neat mechanic that would make Eggman work while representing his expansive arsenal.

What if someone thought the opposite? "Why go to Sega for a standard street brawler when we could have had another take on a mecha fighter?" Characters aren't just about adding new series symbols.

I don't think Eggman is likely myself, but I see the appeal of his moveset.
Personally, I prefer including characters that could bring something new, unique, and creative to the roster rather than solely adding new franchises for the sake of it. I love expanding the crossover, but working with what we already have is something I like to see as well.

SKX31

Smash Master
For the matters related to Crash Bandicoot, specifically if he'd bring his sister to the fight as a costume, things are little grey in that area.

I will say that their proportions are exaugurated in Crash 4 and they're much closer in scale in N-Sane Trilogy which is most likely where Smash would be drawing from (given that they use pre-Pillage update assets in Smash from Minecraft) but the question is would that be what Activision and Nintendo want?

Activision have basically given Coco parity with Crash in the N-Sane Trilogy and Crash 4 but they could also want to keep the focus on the main Bandicoot for the sake of crossovers. She was entirely absent from the Skylanders outing after all.
I don't think Activision would mind Coco being playable when Crash's hypotheoretical Challenger Pack would include her 10 times / 10 anyhow and as you said, Coco's been effectively given parity with Crash. While it's effectively an alternate skin it's worth pointing out that Alex, Zombie and ENDAMAN (best pronounciation of Enderman ever) got their own splash arts. And sure, :ulthero3::ulthero4: :ulthero2: didn't get their own splash arts... but they got the next best thing, a focused close up and a major part of the trailer to signal "The classic Heroes are here too!". Arisu / Erdrick got most of that focus, because his game in particular (and he by extension) is massively important in the general Japanese pop culture.

Those alternates are practically a major bonus in their own right. And Coco would also be a major bonus.

Watch him have a mech with lots of armor, but takes double damage when you hit the windshield.
* :4bowserjr: mains get flashbacks to when Bowser Jr / the Koopaling in question "took priority"* (If a character hit both Jr. and the Clown Car in 4 it counted as a hit on Jr. Pretty bad when the damage multipliers were - and still are - 0,88 % on the Clown Car and 1,15 % on Jr. Ultimate switched priorities so now the Clown Car takes priority - a change I fully agree with both in more casual and competitive settings.)

Seriously, Eggman could work with something like that - he could have some versatility to go along with that at the cost of speed primarily (Eggman's mechs aren't known for being consistently speedy unless we're talking the Boost games) and a rather predictable recovery. He'd have to be carefully balanced - not just for competitive, but also for more casual FFA settings.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I thought Sonic Boom's Problem was that they tried to Make Rise of Lyric a Wii U Exclusive when it was being developed for Xbox One and PS4, and they made the Sonic 06 Mistake and tried to Rush the Development team

As for Brawl, they intailly didn't want Sonic in the game, but they changed their mind and they delayed the game for him. Sonic has been making Smash Appearances ever Since

In any case, if You look a Lego Dimensions , OK KO, Ninjala, Fall Guys, Sonic goes Places and it seems Sega isn't as strict as one might think. I Do think they have Mandates even concerning games (I Know about the one for the Comics), Which explains why Sonic doesn't show as much emotion in Smash 4 and Ultimate as he does in Brawl perhaps, but I don't think it's very Strict. Alot of Sonic Characters are already Present as Spirits, Shadow and Knuckles are Assist Trophies, and Tails and Knuckles are Mii Costumes.

What I Could see an issue was that there was Speculation that Sega doesn't want Sonic Overshadowed, so perhaps a 2nd Character might be an issue there because there's a Fear that Sonic would get Overshadowed. I think alot of that comes from Shadow not getting into Base roster as an echo (because people are still perplexed to this day why he wasn't added), and perhaps how Sega is treating the Franchise. I don't think this is the Case though, and Shadow not getting in as an Echo was for Different Reasons, Like him being an echo not fitting. It's a Possibility though
Apparently during development of Rise of lyric, there were lots of changes Big Red Button made to Sonic like allowing Sonic to swim and lore related stuff that Sega did not like and had them change them all.

Even with Sonic in Smash Bros, Sonic's fur stays strictly blue for most of his alternate costumes much like Pac-Man staying strictly Yellow for all of his alts so there has to be a higher level of restrictions Sega sets for Sonic over most characters. There's also the fact that Mario was not included in Sega all-stars racing to avoid conflict with Mario & Sonic at the olympic games so Sega can definitely make stupid reasons for stopping things from happening.

I don't think Sega is strict with where Sonic goes. They're strict with how the character himself is handled.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If what I’m getting out of this is correct, I think some folks may be approaching it wrong. I’m not ready to 100% buy into anything because my brain is fried after another day of teaching.

So let me get this straight, there are 5 empty spots for sound test, and we have four characters left. This implies one of two different scenarios: one being that one fighter has an alternate costume requiring a second voice slot, or there will simply be an empty slot in the voice sound test.

Some folks have said that, “they didn’t plan the characters to have a perfect square”. I agree with that, however I don’t think that’s the point. If there was no need for the fifth blank square this line of thinking would be correct- there wouldn’t be a blank square.

I’ve seen that it was true for Fighter Pass 1. However, I’m curious...were there empty slots available to provide space for each Hero alt leading up to their reveal? Were there two spots there prior to Byleth? If so, I would say that this could easily point toward something, but what that something is I simply couldn’t say.

Frankly the easiest one to fit that, in my humble opinion, is Monster Hunter. Even if I want Dante, I can’t deny that would be a point potentially in their favor.

EDIT: It’s not just the game UI, but the files too. Good to know. That definitely works in favor of it meaning something.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Apparently during development of Rise of lyric, there were lots of changes Big Red Button made to Sonic like allowing Sonic to swim and lore related stuff that Sega did not like and had them change them all.

Even with Sonic in Smash Bros, Sonic's fur stays strictly blue for most of his alternate costumes much like Pac-Man staying strictly Yellow for all of his alts so there has to be a higher level of restrictions Sega sets for Sonic over most characters. There's also the fact that Mario was not included in Sega all-stars racing to avoid conflict with Mario & Sonic at the olympic games.

I don't think Sega is strict with where Sonic goes. They're strict with how the character himself is handled.
I see

You're right. In any case though, I do think that while Sega is strict with how Sonic is handle in Some Aspects, I Don't think they are so Strict to a Fault that it would kill the chances of Another Sonic Character. I Will say it's something to keep in mind, and if that Speculation about Sega not wanting Sonic to be overshadowed with a 2nd Character is true and that's the main reason we don't have 2nd Sonic character, I'm going to go Kick their Behind. In any case Sakurai does Work with all the creators and IP holders of 3rd party characters while developing the Character, making sure everything is right, So yes

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pretty sure the reason :ulthero3: was the one that got the most focus in trailer is because he’s the most well known DQ Hero in the West. DQIII was the best selling DQ over here all the way until 8 if I’m not mistaken.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Seeing the Bomberman costume having so many alternate colors makes wish every mii costume had different colors too. It helps to make our mii fighters look like their own thing rather than someone dressing as another character.

Also, seeing so much work being put on the last two characters makes me think that a tag team like Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be as hard to make as we initially thought. Would creating two simple characters with different fighting styles that can swap places mid battle be more troublesome than one character that needs tweaking on over 100 stages to make it work?

Not saying it's gonna happen but whatever, doesn't sound as time consuming to me.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Seeing the Bomberman costume having so many alternate colors makes wish every mii costume had different colors too. It helps to make our mii fighters look like their own thing rather than someone dressing as another character.

Also, seeing so much work being put on the last two characters makes me think that a tag team like Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be as hard to make as we initially thought. Would creating two simple characters with different fighting styles that can swap places mid battle be more troublesome than one character that needs tweaking on over 100 stages to make it work?

Not saying it's gonna happen but whatever, doesn't sound as time consuming to me.
It just makes me feel like he’s a shoo-in for next time.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pretty sure the reason :ulthero3: was the one that got the most focus in trailer is because he’s the most well known DQ Hero in the West. DQIII was the best selling DQ over here all the way until 8 if I’m not mistaken.
I mean, DQIII was a mega hit in Japan and one of the most influential game of all times in there.

I don't think Erdrick needed that Western recognition.

SKX31

Smash Master
We were all talking about Erdrick before the Hero quartet was revealed
True, I can see it as another reason. Just not the sole one when DQ III was so stupidly popular in Japan back in 1988 that the Day 1 sales (1 million copies) was featured in American video game magazines like this one (the one who wrote that called console games arcade games... that's not aged well.) and ABC briefly highlighted its Japanese popularity in its "Nuts for Nintendo" 20 / 20 special (6:03 in the video).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If what I’m getting out of this is correct, I think some folks may be approaching it wrong. I’m not ready to 100% buy into anything because my brain is fried after another day of teaching.

So let me get this straight, there are 5 empty spots for sound test, and we have four characters left. This implies one of two different scenarios: one being that one fighter has an alternate costume requiring a second voice slot, or there will simply be an empty slot in the voice sound test.

Some folks have said that, “they didn’t plan the characters to have a perfect square”. I agree with that, however I don’t think that’s the point. If there was no need for the fifth blank square this line of thinking would be correct- there wouldn’t be a blank square.

I’ve seen that it was true for Fighter Pass 1. However, I’m curious...were there empty slots available to provide space for each Hero alt leading up to their reveal? Were there two spots there prior to Byleth? If so, I would say that this could easily point toward something, but what that something is I simply couldn’t say.

Frankly the easiest one to fit that, in my humble opinion, is Monster Hunter. Even if I want Dante, I can’t deny that would be a point potentially in their favor.

EDIT: It’s not just the game UI, but the files too. Good to know. That definitely works in favor of it meaning something.
The files were there before Terry and Byleth were revealed, and there were 3 left (matching up perfectly with Terry, M!Byleth and F!Byleth). I haven't read anything about people knowing about them before Banjo and Hero though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Personally, I prefer including characters that could bring something new, unique, and creative to the roster rather than solely adding new franchises for the sake of it. I love expanding the crossover, but working with what we already have is something I like to see as well
Yeah, we basically need to find the compromise between "characters are just icons" and "characters are just functions". There's a game to play too you know, not just OMG MARIO CAN FIGHT CRASH???!??!? pictures to make.
That magazine also says Dragon's Quest.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
This voice file theory does not sound like it bodes well for characters that are completely mute or just generally quiet. My two most wanted characters arguably fall under that group and them not being in probably is more likely than us getting another character that needs 4 distinct voices. BWD makes the occasional "Wanya" but if Isabelle can't make the noises she makes in AC and is a mute character in Smash, I won't have a lot of faith in Dee having voice clips.

Vol 2 is already set in stone so it ultimately won't make much of a difference but this does make me think slightly more pessimistic about my favorites.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Well given that :ulthero2: was in the trailer too...

DQ3 didn't have much competition for bestselling DQ game in the west during that timeframe TBH; we didn't get 5 or 6 'till the DS remakes after 8 (and 9, which I don't have the numbers for but am pretty confident also outsold 3). 7 also was doomed to die b/c it's a PS1 game that didn't get localized until well after the PS2 had come out.
The reason :ulthero3: got special attention is that he's overall very iconic, but the reason he's iconic comes down to a couple factors: 1. 3 was the first big success in the series, and is what really solidified it as a big deal. It's not a perfect analogy, but I like to think of DQ3 as the Super Mario Bros of the series, if that helps.
2. The character himself is important to DQ1 and 2 as well, so he gets referenced a lot throughout the series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This voice file theory does not sound like it bodes well for characters that are completely mute or just generally quiet. My two most wanted characters arguably fall under that group and them not being in probably is more likely than us getting another character that needs 4 distinct voices. BWD makes the occasional "Wanya" but if Isabelle can't make the noises she makes in AC and is a mute character in Smash, I won't have a lot of faith in Dee having voice clips.

Vol 2 is already set in stone so it ultimately won't make much of a difference but this does make me think slightly more pessimistic about my favorites.
Or it could imply that multiple characters have separate versions, to make up for the other mute character(s).

ZelDan

Smash Master
So from what I'm gathering from this voice theory, if it is true, is that we can expect ATLEAST one more character with an alt, whether it be a younger/older situation, a male/female situation, or an "alph" situation.

interesting, but considering how many characters this could apply to, it doesn't really narrow things down at all. Could maybe be useful down the line though once we're closer to the end of FP2 I guess.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So from what I'm gathering from this voice theory, if it is true, is that we can expect ATLEAST one more character with an alt, whether it be a younger/older situation, a male/female situation, or an "alph" situation.

interesting, but considering how many characters this could apply to, it doesn't really narrow things down at all. Could maybe be useful down the line though once we're closer to the end of FP2 I guess.
Yeah, this seems like something we should keep in mind for later, but we don't have enough to go off of right now. So if we get another mute character, we'd know we'll probably get another multiple-alts character, and vice versa. But again, not enough to go off of right now.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So From what I'm saw the Og Poster of the Voice theory say, it is just based of the CSS of the Voice Selection menu for the Theory, not in game data

So I guess it's not as Concrete as I thought it was. Could still be correct if the Smash team actually wants Composed CSS

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So From what I'm saw the Og Poster of the Voice theory say, it is just based of the CSS of the Voice Selection menu for the Theory, not in game data

So I guess it's not as Concrete as I thought it was. Could still be correct if the Smash team actually wants Composed CSS
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is it part of the files or not?!

MAKE UP YOUR MIND ALREADY

7NATOR

Smash Master
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is it part of the files or not?!

MAKE UP YOUR MIND ALREADY

There's the OG Poster of the Voice Theory confirminf it, So yeah...

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
... Am I missing something here?
Again, neither the original poster nor the PG videos mentioned anything about the game files, to me that just seemed like the results of a game of telephone between users who were discussing it.

Forgive for being suspicious of the fanbase that still keeps Glitch theory on life support... with this kind of thing I prefer to be safe rather than be sorry.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Or a duo character like Rex & Pyra.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Would someone in a characters moveset and victory animations also be in the same folder?

For example Maya with Phoenix Wright.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Duo characters like :ulticeclimbers: and :ultbanjokazooie: have the same slots.

But hey, it might not even matter, because apparently this never actually involved the files, OR MAYBE THEY DID, I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
In truth, there are no voice files or empty squares in Smash Ultimate

.....Because there isn't even a Smash Ultimate...

None of this actually has happened.

Please wake up Sharklord...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would someone in a characters moveset and victory animations also be in the same folder?

For example Maya with Phoenix Wright.
I imagine so. You got the FS/Victory screen Chrom model in Robin’s which is separate from Playable Chrom, same with Mario having a model of him in PP’s folder for that one victory screen

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Quick topic change: We should get an event-announcement tonight, right? (its in the middle of the night if you live in germany that is, aren't time-zones fun?).
Any ideas/ hopes/ wishes/ predictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom