• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is it realistic that Steve's codename was an intentional misspelling of "pickle" so that in case the codename got leaked, we would think Cheese Pizza #7 would have something to do with pickles? I know it's possible, but to me, it sounds like I'm going into conspiracy territory... or it could just be what other users said and it's just a pickaxe or pixel?
It's most likely a misspelling of "pixel".

SKX31

Smash Master
Pick + Pixel or Voxel, maybe?
Pickaxe would make sense

But some people are thinking it's possibly a misspelling/mistranslation of "pixel"
That makes sense - "pickel" is not a Swedish word FTR, so it seems likely that it's Pixel or Pickaxe.

Pikachu's buff is just to make a multihit connect better. That's it. Ness mostly got buffs to moves that were painfully slow or went unused. Sonic I have no excuses for. At least it wasn't a buff to his specials.

uh. what? like a weird pickaxe, or a pickle spelled wrong?
OTOH, PSI Magnet was already a kind of common combo extender (good Ness / Lucas mains like BestNess already used it as such), meaning that some of his already strong tools got even stronger.

And now we have this:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ridley's Up B got buffed with its hit detection. (pretty good for him)
This is actually a nerf, though a very small one. They changed the move so that if you hit the ground with his Up B the shockwave only hits grounded opponents whereas before it could also hit aerial opponents.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Alright, night y'all. Hope y'all enjoy playing as Steve throughout the week!

Look forward to what glitches me might see hinting towards particular upcoming characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Let me introduce you to a little known man called "Best Ness" and true to his name, does this on a regular basis.
Well ****, he's the Best Ness. But is every 12-year old child that plays Ness on Quickplay also Best Ness? :4pacman:You see my point?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, finished Steve's classic mode and Spirits.

Some quick first impressions: this character struggles quite a bit against crowds. Probably wouldn't pull Steve out with more than 4 players lol.

Steve has a lot of utility in his kit... but to counter that, his stats seem pretty poor and he's useless without mining for materials. Which makes sense, really.

My prediction for the competitive side of things is that he'll be like Hero: a threat in the right hands or circumstances, but overall very inconsistent.

PS: I'll never understand why they went with Steve's lo-res textures... but then gave some of his Spirits the updated ones.

PS2: the metal/gold powerup on them is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in Smash, lol.

PS3: a hint for the Zombie fight: just use a Health Drain and watch the fight win itself.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Steve feels like another one of those "just for fun" characters who Sakurai knew from the beginning probably wouldn't make a splash in the competitive scene. He's got a charming, fun moveset, but he lacks range and struggles to effectively deal with multiple opponents at once. His jump and rcovery also aren't the best.

We'll have to wait and see though. Two hours isn't enough time to judge a character.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My thoughts are that Steve's a cool character, but I don't think I synergize with him well. I'm used to more aggressive characters, so it's kinda awkward adjusting to Steve. Nothing against him, just not my thing.

The remixes are great, though. Quality over quantity with him. Standouts include Glide and Arch-Illager.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And a surprise to absolutely no one...

Steve is a ton of fun.

Hey Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom you think we might get an Enderman Stock Icon soon?
Possibly. I can probably easily whip them up in a manner of minutes but it takes four months to upload them into the site. I have all the Inklings, Villagers, and every possible alt made but still waiting for them to get added in.:snakefire:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They really went quality over quantity for Steve's tracks. Cool bit of trivia, Arch-Illager was remixed by Motoi Sakuraba, AKA the guy who composed for Golden Sun, Tales Of, and Dark Souls.
There is also a track done by Yoko Shimomura and another by Yuzo Koshiro

Yuzo Koshiro used to work at Falcom and composed a few tracks for the early Ys games

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm having a blast with Steve. His kit is super fun and I like every of his special. I'm still unsure on how to make good use of the blocks but I love the minecart. Also I think that in motion he blends way more than in a screenshot. His stage's pretty cool and it's crazy to see the amount of details and I enjoy a lot every of his music.

Also the announcer saying "Zombie win" is something I never thought I'd hear in Smash

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
Imagine Pac-Man had a baby with Min Min but the kid had a really fun uncle (Snake), and he later grew up to be Steve. He's got constant traps and resource management like Pac, the same move repurposed for multiple situations like Min Min, and a really good explosive like Snake.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My thoughts:
  1. Finally seeing him in action, and in-depth, I don't think Steve looks out of place in the other stages nor do I think the other characters look out of place on his stage.
  2. I feel like Steve is the first character to really have a side-goal in each match, and the fact that you get different materials on different stages pretty much stops him from ever getting boring. I don't think I'll main him, but I'll likely come back to him frequently.
    • EDIT: It's really interesting how stages with mostly dirt leave you wanting for iron, but give you a ton of materials to work with for everything else, and stages with mostly iron make using attacks more free, but leaves you wanting more of your common materials for TNT and block placing.
  3. Still a little bummed about the tracklist. Halland/Dalarna is a showstopper on the level of Gangplank Galleon, and I like Clockwork Crafter as well, but the lack of amazing tracks like Sweden and other C418 songs is a pretty big downer. I also feel like any tracklist with under 10 tracks is less than ideal since it causes less song variety.
Also I think that in motion he blends way more than in a screenshot.
That's probably accurate.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If I may; plenty of the fighters and stages skipped over one, two, or even three whole games, meaning that Sakurai's team most likely had to remake a lot of them entirely from scratch. Stages like Brinstar Depths and Saffron City, for example. It's just cathartic to have so much stuff back.
I know hun, that's why I was saying it was ludicrous that people think Ultimate is 'lazy' for not having a bunch of newcomers despite all the returning characters from Brawl & Melee taking almost as much work as any newcomers would..not even including how every stage has been remade with brand new graphics if it was from 64, Melee, Brawl, or 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom