• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So have dataminers found anything else yet aside from Steve’s codename being pickel?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I have a fun little template thing

So most of us know that Hero's Codename leaked what if all the codenames leaked before we knew who the character was.
What characters would you think would be in just based off of the codename? for example

Pakkun-Either plant or some Pac-man reference
Jack- Someone who is a "jack of all trades"
Brave- Hero
Buddy- Someone who has a partner or is friendly
Dolly- Geno
Master- Master hand or a character who is royalty
Tantan- someone with a t in their name
Pickel- Someone from a game that has pixel art

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I've seen people acting like the involvement of ACE, Yoko Shimomura, Motoi Sakuraba, etc. doing the Minecraft remixes is clearly a sign that a character from whatever series/games they've worked on previously is going to be included further down the line as DLC, but that seems premature. Those composers did plenty of work on the base game, as far as I can tell, so it doesn't really seem to mean anything.

I somehow doubt that the involvement of Mitsuhiro Kitadani or Hiroki Hashimoto, for example, means that we're getting a playable Daemon X Machina character in Fighters Pass 2, or that Yuzo Koshiro covering some Minecraft music is a hint towards a Streets of Rage character being added. The same thing goes for the other composers who are involved in this.
In my view, the oddity is that Motoi Sakuraba did not actually do any music in Pass 1, and yet is now back. The underlying reason why he would not have been asked to do stuff in pass 1 is because he's a very, very busy man. He takes on many projects all at once, so I can't help but feel that his reinclusion here is meaningful. All of the other composers that worked on Minecraft songs did do songs in pass 1, so he's the only one that did not.

That's not to say that this could not just be meaningless, but in a case where Tales of or Golden Sun or Dark Souls or what have you is chosen, Sakurai would explicitly desire him to come back.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So have dataminers found anything else yet aside from Steve’s codename being pickel?
Well, does Steve's stats and other stuff count as that?

Quoting The_Bookworm:

That makes him the:
  • 75th-76th fastest walk speed (tied with Terry).
  • 76th fastest run speed.
  • The absolute slowest initial dash in the game.
  • 78th fastest air speed.
  • 62nd fastest fall speed.
  • 51st-55th heaviest character (tied with ICs, Lucario, Wolf, and Villager)
If there's one thing that's Steve's weakness it's his lack of mobility outside of his moves.

Based on the track record of them not giving us anything after the Brave codename leak, probably not.
I'm not surprised - that was talk of the town for months. Ergo, some Nintendo employees would 100 % have snapped up on the leak and messaged higher ups ASAP, leading to tighter security on that front.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not surprised - that was talk of the town for months. Ergo, some Nintendo employees would 100 % have snapped up on the leak and messaged higher ups ASAP, leading to tighter security on that front.
And we never saw codename leaks for the rest of Smash Ultimate history.

Except for when Nintendo just kinda leaked Terry for some reason.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually there is ONE thing. Steve's blocks have a ****ton of unused textures, suggesting Steve was going to have a larger variety of blocks and contraptions at one point
You know you're flexing when you put down the diamond block on the ledge. To save players from emotional trauma, it had to be scrapped.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually there is ONE thing. Steve's blocks have a ****ton of unused textures, suggesting Steve was going to have a larger variety of blocks and contraptions at one point
AFAIK all the Minecraft blocks are on one single texture sheet. Is that still the case, and did they port it over to Smash like Steve's model?

SKX31

Smash Master
And we never saw codename leaks for the rest of Smash Ultimate history.

Except for when Nintendo just kinda leaked Terry for some reason.
"So hey um Nintendo of Europe, why did you guys just upload the page early and screw up with the SNK trademark?"

"¯\(ツ)/¯"

So if that's true: Sakurai initially wanted to have Steve play exactly like a pro StarCraft player plays with tons of Actions per Minute and building a turtle strat in the middle of the stage?

#StarCraftConfirmedForSmash :4pacman:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've seen people acting like the involvement of ACE, Yoko Shimomura, Motoi Sakuraba, etc. doing the Minecraft remixes is clearly a sign that a character from whatever series/games they've worked on previously is going to be included further down the line as DLC, but that seems premature. Those composers did plenty of work on the base game, as far as I can tell, so it doesn't really seem to mean anything.

I somehow doubt that the involvement of Mitsuhiro Kitadani or Hiroki Hashimoto, for example, means that we're getting a playable Daemon X Machina character in Fighters Pass 2, or that Yuzo Koshiro covering some Minecraft music is a hint towards a Streets of Rage character being added. The same thing goes for the other composers who are involved in this.
I didn't mean that Motoi doing the Arch-Illager remix meant Isaac was a lock, just thought it was a neat detail for posters in the Isaac thread.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Enjoy laughing guys! The Math Guy has returned!
Ah Veemo, here we go again

I’m on lunch break so I’m half tempted to skim thru it tho
I'm sure Pickel is from German word Eispickel. I think Eis means ice, so we just removed that portion and used it to specifically describe pickaxe. I don't know if that works the same in real German. I'm actually surprised English speakers not getting it.
You also got this:
Piikeru

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
In my view, the oddity is that Motoi Sakuraba did not actually do any music in Pass 1, and yet is now back. The underlying reason why he would not have been asked to do stuff in pass 1 is because he's a very, very busy man. He takes on many projects all at once, so I can't help but feel that his reinclusion here is meaningful. All of the other composers that worked on Minecraft songs did do songs in pass 1, so he's the only one that did not.

That's not to say that this could not just be meaningless, but in a case where Tales of or Golden Sun or Dark Souls or what have you is chosen, Sakurai would explicitly desire him to come back.
I really don't think there's any meaning to this. The guy work at Namco, who developed the game, so it was probably super easy to get him back. And a lot of the times, it's not the original composer who remixes their music, so even if Dark souls, Tales of or Golden sun would have a fighter pack he might not be too involved.

Edit: actually I'm not sure if he works at Namco, but he's very closely affiliated with them so my point stand.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean we did get Starcraft on N64...

Lets just hope Sakurai and co. construct additional Pylons. It's exactly the kind of series that'd be unexpected for many reasons, but hold a lot of interesting ideas within it that could potentially fit.

I'm sure Pickel is from German word Eispickel. I think Eis means ice, so we just removed that portion and used it to specifically describe pickaxe. I don't know if that works the same in real German. I'm actually surprised English speakers not getting it.
IIRC pickel's also the German word for pimple, so I'd kinda doubt that. (If they had not chosen a Japanese word they would've likely gone for a Swedish word - "spetshacka" in this case - since that's where Mojang's from. Although given that Sakurai's team developed Steve's Smash iteration they'd almost always go for a Japanese-related codename.)

I see he's well-practionined in the subtle art of #MarketingYoutubeVideosToYourTargetAudience. The Youtube Algorithm is gonna love that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
and I OOP-

Remember when Terry’s FS against the ICs would freeze the game

while not freeze causing this is def an issue and I see that day 1 patch comin

To be fair, a lot of people have been guessing pickaxe, just not from a cropped German word. Also, the English equivalent to eispickel would be icepick, which is actually a different, but related, tool. Apparently the German word for pickaxe is spitzhacke. Good thought, though.

All of the codenames up until now have been an English word translated from Japanese, so people have been assuming this one was also supposed to be English, but misspelled. A lot of native English speakers don't know any German and most don't recognize English as a Germanic language (even though it is).

The best description of the English language I've ever heard was that it is three languages in a trench coat trying to pass as one.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I really don't think there's any meaning to this. The guy work at Namco, who developed the game, so it was probably super easy to get him back. And a lot of the times, it's not the original composer who remixes their music, so even if Dark souls, Tales of or Golden sun would have a fighter pack he might not be too involved.

Edit: actually I'm not sure if he works at Namco, but he's very closely affiliated with them so my point stand.
Motoi does NOT work at Namco. He's entirely freelance. If it was so easy to get him, why didn't they get him for Banjo or Terry's music selections? ESPECIALLY Terry, given just how many songs were there.

The idea isn't that "he'd be a major fixation of the fighter pack", it's that Sakurai's in a position where he feels he kinda needs to get him involved. I never once said he'd do every song in a Tales pack or Golden Sun or whatever, that's ridiculous. He doesn't own music rights to those franchises, so they don't HAVE to, but at the same time, Sakurai went balls to the wall getting Grant Kirkhope to do a Banjo track. If there's a series in here that he personally worked on, Sakurai 100% got him for that and asked him to do other songs as well.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Watch someone decode the names Ninja and Crate that would refer to both Ryu Hayabusa and Crash Bandicoot.
Wouldn’t that be too obvious? Granted Brave WAS obvious, and Master was a literal translation of sensei which can also mean teacher and Tantan is a type of noodle

but everything else required a bit of thinking outside the box - Buddy for Banjo could be a reference to the Buddy System, Dolly for Terry is most likely a reference to his fatal fury home stage (train dolly car), Pickel is either a Japanese or German transliteration of pickaxe, and Jack... I actually forgot the connotation that connected that word to Joker

if I had to make more creative roundabout code names for those two, Hayabusa would be Moon (Ninjas often work at night? Idk I ain’t familiar with Ninja Gaiden) and Crash would be Tiki (Aku Aku reference ig)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wouldn’t that be too obvious? Granted Brave WAS obvious, and Master was a literal translation of sensei which can also mean teacher and Tantan is a type of noodle

but everything else required a bit of thinking outside the box - Buddy for Banjo could be a reference to the Buddy System, Dolly for Terry is most likely a reference to his fatal fury home stage (train dolly car), Pickel is either a Japanese or German transliteration of pickaxe, and Jack... I actually forgot the connotation that connected that word to Joker
It refers to Jack Frost, the mascot of Atlus, who makes the Persona games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom