• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
View attachment 289290

I've never seen so many loose strings connected by the thinnest thread. Steve just dropped. Chill out. Play some Smash instead of theorizing around it. I get what this thread is for but maybe just one day people can just take a breather.
Geno fans: Heavy breathing due to the Mario Anniversary tourney happening around then
You're about a month too late on the tournament theory. People were convinced the Mario tournament meant a Mario rep was FP7. The theory isn't really in play anymore now that Steve has been revealed outside of some fringe beliefs over FP7 and 8 being close together E3 announcements and releases, even though we can confidently say the DLC team has been fully committed to the programming nightmare that is Steve.
Bruh, I already made a follow up to my post lmao.
Oh wait... forgot about that. Yeah... nvm... fringe stuff is dead lol.
I don't mean to be blunt, but it just amazes me how I've gotten so many "chill out" or "be patient" responses in the past for the stuff I've talked about. I only say this as, and as much as it seems contrary to what I do... I could care less about being too invested in Smash speculation.

Now key word is too invested, as I'm still invested in Smash (since, y'know, I obviously like the series.) It's just that everything I do in the smash scene... is for a reason beyond just Smash stuff. The Amiibo Theory equations I did was to help polish up my math skills bit. The hypothetical scenarios I make sometimes are to polish up my scientific method skills. Believe it or not, Smash is the perfect place to practice stuff like that.

It's just that, the one thing I've noticed about the scene is, it's easy for people to think that if you talk about something, that you are automatically hopeful for it. And I just think that stems from the history of the scene using "logic" to push their hope and POV.

However, for me... I'm not actually into the character speculation side of Smash if that sounds weird. I'm more interested in the development history of the series and the timing of things. So when I talk about stuff like this, I'm not really that hopeful about it. I'm just presenting that idea as is. And... if I'm wrong... I'm wrong lol.

I know this is long, but I just wanted to talk about this as I see a lot of this sort of thing a lot, and just wanted to address how I approach things.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think our Smash Character could get dropped out of nowhere. Like, full on Shadowdrop. Like Euden perhaps.
they won't shadowdrop a reveal, they know how much hype a reveal generates and won't miss out on the free advertizing. We'e had two fighters in the shadowdrop era, and neither of them were.

SKX31

Smash Master
Is it bad that a part of me kinda wishes they kept the codenames out in the open just to see what kind of crackpot theories the Smash fanbase would come up with them....?

I mean, pickle... 🥒 Pretend that's a pickle, there is no pickle emoji okay......
"Zoinks ScoobBoards, we just got ourselves in a Pickle! What do we do with the codename?"

ScoobBoards: ¯\(ツ)/¯ Proceeds to look around and stumble into a trap door. Hilarity Ensues.

Did anyone mention how weird it is that Zombie and Enderman don't have Fighter Spirits? Steve and Alex do. So do the Dragon Quest Heroes and even the alternate costumes of Cloud and Bayonetta. This has to be the first time characters came out with a Spirit Battle of themselves also being released at the same time.
The probable answer is that they do double as mooks and easy Alts, and Sakurai and co simply saw no need to have them as Fighter Spirits when they could easily serve as ordinary Spirits. Neither Zombie nor Enderman has a second skin unlike the DQ Heroes and Cloud's / Bayo's alts after all.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
"Zoinks ScoobBoards, we just got ourselves in a Pickle! What do we do with the codename?"

ScoobBoards: ¯\(ツ)/¯ * *Proceeds to look around and stumble into a trap door. Hilarity Ensues.

The probable answer is that they do double as mooks and easy Alts, and Sakurai and co simply saw no need to have them as Fighter Spirits when they could easily serve as ordinary Spirits. Neither Zombie nor Enderman has a second skin unlike the DQ Heroes and Cloud's / Bayo's alts after all.
At the very least, I think this reinforces that Spirits are indeed 100% back on the table and Min Min wasn't an exception because Yabuki. Evidently, Sakurai doesn't have a problem with you equipping Zombie with a Zombie Spirit and Enderman with an Enderman Spirit.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Enjoy laughing guys! The Math Guy has returned!
...Is it bad that I actually kind of like this guy's videos?

Like, obvious there's some strange choices for the way he classifies certain elements and it's unlikely his approach is actually gonna get us anywhere, but it's harmless and a fun little diversion. Plus, it doesn't seem like he's taking his own predictions too seriously, so it's hard to be angry about what's essentially a big "What if".

At the very least, it's better than regurgitating the most tired arguments in this thread regarding a highly requested character and giving them a massively inflated number.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Quick question - how would Monster Hunter work in Smash? I don't have much experience with Monster Hunter (I've played the first area of Tri and unlocked the second, but having to manage an overheating mechanic on top of my other issues with the gameplay was too much; I might give it another shot later, though), and I either didn't have access to traps or didn't figure out how to use them, so I'm not sure what would help to set them apart. (I don't know what the traps can do aside from burying or paralyzing a monster)

I know that the game has a weapon sharpness mechanic, but that seems like the sort of mechanic that would make them less fun to play in Smash, so I can't think they'd include that.

I'm just thinking that, as much as I want Dante and think that he's likely, I feel like Capcom might want to include Monster Hunter from a business standpoint since (by my limited understanding) the series has been selling very well every since Monster Hunter World.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
With Monster Hunter, they will include different arms for his/her specials, probably a stamina bar where each attacks (or run) consumes it and you need to rest a bit to fill it up. Maybe they can include some traps or items.

Just like Minecraft or Arms, the idea would be to emulate that you are playing a Monster Hunter game in smash brothers. This last thing is going to happen to every FP2 fighter.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Quick question - how would Monster Hunter work in Smash? I don't have much experience with Monster Hunter (I've played the first area of Tri and unlocked the second, but having to manage an overheating mechanic on top of my other issues with the gameplay was too much; I might give it another shot later, though), and I either didn't have access to traps or didn't figure out how to use them, so I'm not sure what would help to set them apart. (I don't know what the traps can do aside from burying or paralyzing a monster)

I know that the game has a weapon sharpness mechanic, but that seems like the sort of mechanic that would make them less fun to play in Smash, so I can't think they'd include that.

I'm just thinking that, as much as I want Dante and think that he's likely, I feel like Capcom might want to include Monster Hunter from a business standpoint since (by my limited understanding) the series has been selling very well every since Monster Hunter World.
Probably in similar ways to MVC: I. Various tilts/air attacks and specials utilizing the various weapons from the franchise, possibly a move dedicated to utilizing various items that could act as attacks, self buffs or debuffs (Dash Juice, Armor Skin, Demondrug, dung bombs, flash bombs, mega barrel bombs).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'd imagine they'd use different weapons, each with a certain function. The way I see it, their standard ground attacks would be quick swipes with the Dual Blades, their smash attacks would be slow and hard-hitting swings with the Greatsword, their aerials would use the Insect Glaive to dance around enemies and get in hits. Their specials would probably use other weapons and tools, such as the Wirebug, the Bow, and the various traps.

7NATOR

Smash Master
for a newcomer how would you guys feel about Kazuma Kiryu for a sega Rep
He seems Cool, but like with other Sega Reps, I can't let Him get that Slot, because that means My Hope for Shadow being DLC goes down the Drain (even though People will tell me that the Dream is already Over), So I'm gonna need him to go to Virtua Fighter or Tekken or Something like that, So My Prediction has more chance of Coming true, and yadda yadda

KillerCage

Smash Master
The only spirits I'd consider true deconfirmations are the post release ones that were added in after FP2 was finalized. So no Resident Evil, Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain, etc.
So what post-launch spirits could be upgraded?
for a newcomer how would you guys feel about Kazuma Kiryu for a sega Rep
My only real experience with Yakuza was this.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So what post-launch spirits could be upgraded?
None of them? What sense does it make to have a Resident Evil spirit event after finalizing the second pass only to include an actual playable RE rep later on? That's what I was getting at.

I just think it's safe to say that post-launch spirit events deconfirm for FP2, in the same way that base game spirits really did deconfirm for FP1.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
At the very least, I think this reinforces that Spirits are indeed 100% back on the table and Min Min wasn't an exception because Yabuki. Evidently, Sakurai doesn't have a problem with you equipping Zombie with a Zombie Spirit and Enderman with an Enderman Spirit.
Actually, now that we have a non-Fighter spirit for the new character (In this case an alt) releasing with the new character, does that mean franchises repped with Event Spirits are still allowed to get a playable fighter?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually, now that we have a non-Fighter spirit for the new character (In this case an alt) releasing with the new character, does that mean franchises repped with Event Spirits are still allowed to get a playable fighter?
To be fair, technically those Franchises aren't Hard deconfirmed for getting a Character

It's just a Timing issue. If Resident Evil were to Have a character, there's likely chance they would save it for their Challenger pack if they were in FP2. Of course Nintendo/Sakurai could be Playing 4D chess and we get bodied, I mean Pokemon is still speculated and they got their Spirit event Around when FP2 was Finalized or Already Finalized.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know nobody expected an Octopath or ToM playable characters before their spirit events (especially the latter) but

Would you say Square Enix won’t get another character this pass cause of that or?

if anything I kinda think Arc System Works is SOL cause their first and only content were the River City spirits

SharkLord

Smash Hero
No, because logically the Spirit would be released along with the fighter. Why would you run a Resident Evil Spirit if you were going to have a fighter later on? It's not the Spirits themselves that deconfirm so much as it's the timing of the Spirits.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I know nobody expected an Octopath or ToM playable characters before their spirit events (especially the latter) but

Would you say Square Enix won’t get another character this pass cause of that or?

if anything I kinda think Arc System Works is SOL cause their first and only content were the River City spirits
Arc System Works is More Shady because, Unlike Square, The River City Spirit event was their Introduction into Smash

In regards to the game, When a Company is introduced into smash, whether through Base Roster or DLC, if they are getting a Character, the Character Comes First. It's been this way for every Company in the game. Of course things Could change, and that's why I'm still hesitant to call Arc system works Soft Deconfirmed, since it is just an Event

Of course, Unless Sol or Ragna is FP8, They could have done the River City Spirits next Year if they wanted to coincide with the Anniversary, and potentially reveal Sol and Ragna before then.

As For Square, I don't think the Spirit Events are a point against them right now

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So, after getting certain characters into Elite Smash do you just... not play as them anymore so then you don't have to run the risk of them falling out of Elite Smash?
I used to play a lot of Elite Smash, but I don't really play it all that much anymore. The delay made it rather difficult to really put my best foot forward with my mains (Mario, Ike).

For most of the characters, indeed, I do not play them very often in Elite Smash. I'm FAR BETTER as some characters than others.

I just like to flex that I've gotten every character into Elite.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Speaking of SEGA they uploaded a full version of their 60th anniversary Artwork and I think at least one of the characters on here will get in this pass (Except for Joker and Sonic Nintendo would never add either of them...)

The hell is this crap? They have every single Sega character on here and no one from Streets of Rage!

Polan

Smash Lord
gotta say its definitely funny seeing people treating FP2 as some crazy, illogical and unpredictable mess. so far we've had an ARMS character and steve, two choices that we're speculated on quite a lot and are honestly fairly safe choices. only thing that caught us offguard was that many thought that they were deconfirmed but we haven't really had that out of left field wtf choice.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
gotta say its definitely funny seeing people treating FP2 as some crazy, illogical and unpredictable mess. so far we've had an ARMS character and steve, two choices that we're speculated on quite a lot and are honestly fairly safe choices. only thing that caught us offguard was that many thought that they were deconfirmed but we haven't really had that out of left field wtf choice.
That's been kind of a Trend Honestly Starting with Byleth, who also was Speculated kind of Heavily until FP1 turned into Mostly 3rd parties

I'm sure we'll get at least 1 More Character that also was Heavily Speculated at Some point, but Like Byleth, ARMS Character, and Steve, fell by the Wayside when Speculation took a Different Direction

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's mostly that they were speculated at the wrong time. Everyone though ARMS would be a shoo-in for the base roster, but they came too late and died in the Spirit massacre, not to mention the mascot was sent to snowglobe hell. Even with many thinking/hoping that Spirits would be allowed a second chance, ARMS' time had passed and the potential candidates weren't very popular requests, so everyone was blindsided by the guessing game.

Similarly, Steve was considered an obvious choice due to Minecraft's size and Microsoft's newfound closeness to Nintendo, plus the fact it was actually on the Switch. Everything was in their favor... Except no, we're actually getting Banjo. After that, speculation shifted to Master Chief as a character who would break the internet (Which Steve ended up doing anyways, so we definitely underestimated him in that regard). Steve kinda fell to the wayside; He was always in the back of our minds, but most of us went "Oh yeah, Steve. He could happen, I guess" and didn't actively consider him. We didn't actively think he'd happen until Sonic isekai'd Mario into Minecraft.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

The Hunters have access to a very wide variety of extremely different weapon types (Bowguns, Katanas, basic sword and shield, giant hammers, giant axes, lances, horns that can be played to provide stat boosts, switch axes, and even weapons that can be vaulted off of and that shoot insects at enemies) and a ton of different traps and little abilities. Any real combination of that stuff would work to create a character. Stamina is an option for a unique mechanic in addition to the kit they have available, as would weapon sharpening or potentially even some degree of resource management of their own. You could also incorporate a weapon that switches modes between really power, but slow and faster, less damaging swings in Smash itself. There's just lots of combinations and ideas you can make work.

I think you're also discounting the DMC series a lot considering it's also been a fairly sizable comeback thanks to DMCV and is part of Capcom's major resurgence in the past 5 years as much as Monster Hunter breaking through to the West has been in terms of renewing faith in Capcom. Obviously, DMCV has not hit the massive sales figures of World, it had sold over 3 million copies as of the end of the last year and is currently set to re-release on the PS5 and Xbox Series X as launch windows updates with new content. It's become the best and fastest selling DMC game, and even got GOTY nods as well. From a business standpoint, Capcom is fully interested in continuing to grow both of these series. But Capcom doesn't really get the final say on this, Nintendo will decide if they're happy with Monster Hunter in Smash as is and go for Dante, or go a completely different route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom