• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This makes me think though, a Final Smash for BWD that has all of the Dream Friends from Star Allies help would be amazing. Especially if it picked a random friend every time and the animation was unique for each one. Not sure they'd go to that much effort though.
FP7: Bandana Dee. Boss rush is also added, and it lets you use final smashes on bosses.

Marx takes out Marx

Goombaic

Smash Ace
This makes me think though, a Final Smash for BWD that has all of the Dream Friends from Star Allies help would be amazing. Especially if it picked a random friend every time and the animation was unique for each one. Not sure they'd go to that much effort though.
If what you want are helpers and dream friends, he could do this.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Granted, but...you do understand that saying "Hayabusa deserves to be in Smash" is a lot easier to say than "The designers and directors of the Ninja Gaiden franchise and it's spinoff games deserve to have one of the characters they created in Smash", right? And, like, any reasonable person should understand, without having to be told, that the former is just shorthand for the latter.
Sure, I can understand that. But at that point, why not just say “Hayabusa would be a good pick for Smash”? It has an entirely different meaning from what constitutes as “deserving” which gives the statement itself a much more arbitrary concept of what “deserving” even is.

It’s kinda similar to my problem with the term “rep”. It hasn’t been used in a looooooong time, but the way it was used was kinda just like “give this series a rep because they should get a rep” which just seems like a pretty skin deep discussion point. Why should such a character get in? Why should I want them? What can they do? How might they be implemented? Those, to me, are the more interesting things to talk about.

But eh, could just be me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's a user on this site with that name and a Bugzzy profile, that's likely the connection. Also, "bugs me"? Was that intentional?
Yup, that was it. I could have sworn I saw it on a sticker, but lo and behold, Bugzzy didn't have a sticker.

Yeah, Xander Mobus intended on it sounding like "Bowser! Junior?" in the first place. He's done some other character announcer calls in weird ways, like "Dark Samus!" sounding ominous.
It's the only one that sounds actively bad imo. It really sounds like they mashed two voice clips together.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
If Dee gets in, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the Dream Rod in his moveset given how much HAL is showing off the Dream Friends more often now.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd rather get a Deku Baba with a Mustache over any of those characters :dab: :dab: :dab: :fortnitedefaultdance:

*please don't let there be a Deku Baba with a Mustache in the Fighter Pass

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd rather get a Deku Baba with a Mustache over any of those characters :dab: :dab: :dab: :fortnitedefaultdance:

Too late, you're getting Mustache Deku Baba and you're going to like it.

Also, there's this guy names Bazoomba... I swear I've heard than name before, but I don't know where...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To me BWD seems like the kind of character that were he a virtual one-off, as most non-generic Kirby characters are, he certainly wouldn't be among the most popular of them.

Marx and Magolor and Susie has proven to be popular despite only really showing up once in a significant way, bar DLC, and I don't think BWD would be able to claim the same were he in their situation.

He seems a beneficiary of circumstance rather than a character that would innately find themselves popular imo. But popularity is popularity.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To me BWD seems like the kind of character that were he a virtual one-off, as most non-generic Kirby characters are, he certainly wouldn't be among the most popular of them.

Marx and Magolor and Susie has proven to be popular despite only really showing up once in a significant way, bar DLC, and I don't think BWD would be able to claim the same were he in their situation.

He seems a beneficiary of circumstance rather than a character that would innately find themselves popular imo. But popularity is popularity.
I mean, you're not wrong. I've grown fond of his underdog status, but back then I just supported him because he was the most relevant and popular Kirby candidate.

But hey, we all gotta start somewhere. :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

Bandana Dee is almost just as iconic as Meta Knight now. I would say he is definitely the fourth most iconic character in the game.

In Kirby's Return to Dreamland, an amazing game you should play, you can play as Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Bandana Waddle Dee.

If we get a Kirby representative, Bandana Waddle Dee is next in line for sure.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If Dee gets in, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the Dream Rod in his moveset given how much HAL is showing off the Dream Friends more often now.
My idea for Bandana Dee kinda ties into that: He can parry attacks, which gives his spear whatever element the attack was (PK Fire would give it fire, Kacrackle Slash would give it Freeze, etc), which makes his attacks more powerful. This is both a reference to SA's ally system and a way to show Bandana Dee's strong will (he can get hit and be better off for it).

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Good news, he's not going to be in the Fighter Pass.

They're releasing Mustache Baba as an echo fighter for Piranha Plant for just $5.99, or $4.99 if you already own the Piranha Plant DLC. What a steal!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
That's cap. Where's the loads of BWD merch that MK has?
The issue specifically with BWD merch is that regular Waddle Dees exist so All Waddle Dee Merch in turn can be BWD Merch but with a different hat. So a lot of Waddle Dee merch exists they just aren't labeled as Bandanna Dee

(I get your point but how much Merchandise a character has is not really an indicator of how popular or important a character is)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Much like DK's representation has struggled in Smash because of meh period in the aughts, to a lesser extent I think Kirby did as well. There were certainly a number of games circa 2001-2010 that were very solid (with Air Ride now viewed as a cult classic), but it was the midst of an experimental phase (largely on handhelds) that meant it wasn't getting games on consoles with the same significance or frequency like other franchises often were. Return to Dreamland essentially kickstarted the modern era of Kirby which not only built on top of what Super Star (Ultra) did, but also put the pink puffball back on consoles with a mainline game for the first time in a decade (with Epic Yarn and Air Ride having been spin-offs).

Who knows how different the series is in Smash (and beyond) if Return to Dreamland comes out on the Gamecube circa 2001 and not on on the Wii in 2011?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If anyone unironically makes the claim that Bandanna Dee is just a "Goomba with a hat", then you're so wrong that you need to change your method of thinking now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKX31

Smash Master
They'll be a team, attacking in unison. Y'all aren't ready for Magolor sending bandana Dee's spears through a portal and directly into your face.
Hopefully not my face, thanks.

Unless those spears can be used as toothpicks.

:4pacman:

Honestly Bandana Dee being just a Waddle Dee with a hat is part of their charm

I mean look at this thing

It is perfect

Slap a hat onto it and now it is perfect 2x and they can stab you
They should
Okay, while we're at it, Hat Mimicutie time!

Pit vocally complains in the background.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Hat Goomba is funny because of how simple it is yet how effectively it riles up the BWD fans.
If we're speculating about any character, I may be tempted to do something now...

"Yeah, Travis Touchdown would just be awesome to see in Smash"

"Travis Touchdown? Why? He's just a goomba with a hat, you might as well throw Goku in Smash if you're going to do that!"

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee is absolutley worthy of being in Smash and would definitely be next in line as a Kirby fighter... However, he's probably not going to be DLC. He's what I like to call a Puzzle Piece Character. He's the missing piece of the Kirby puzzle and completes the central cast for that series. But he's nothing else. He's not a brand new flashy character, he's not the protagonist of a unique series or game, he's not someone who would bring something totally new to Smash. He's just a tick on the checklist. And it's not someone who would be DLC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom