• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Hat Goomba is funny because of how simple it is yet how effectively it riles up the BWD fans.
I mean, drastically underselling any character is gonna piss off their fans.

EDIT: Like, if I unironically said Mario is just a fat guy who jumps a lot, it'd start a huge argument once people discovered I was serious.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Its the bog standard inflammatory term alongside anime swordsman and cereal box mascot.
Yep and it's funny when people get all worked up about those terms too.

If we're speculating about any character, I may be tempted to do something now...

"Yeah, Travis Touchdown would just be awesome to see in Smash"

"Travis Touchdown? Why? He's just a goomba with a hat, you might as well throw Goku in Smash if you're going to do that!"
I think if you start calling Travis Touchdown a goomba with a hat you may confuse more people than you upset.

I mean, drastically underselling any character is gonna piss off their fans.

EDIT: Like, if I unironically said Mario is just a fat guy who jumps a lot, it'd start a huge argument once people discovered I was serious.
Yeahhhh but there are people more worth your energy than those who will just talk out of their ass.

Like how can you really get mad at a character being called a cereal box mascot, even if the person is serious. It's too ridiculous to be mad about.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But at that point, why not just say “Hayabusa would be a good pick for Smash”? It has an entirely different meaning from what constitutes as “deserving” which gives the statement itself a much more arbitrary concept of what “deserving” even is.
I don't see how "deserving" is any less arbitrary than "good". They're both qualitative statements with no concrete measurement based entirely on personal opinion.

It's just one or those terms like "4th party" where everyone in the community knows what it means, but some people want to be pedantic and have a bug up their *** about that specific term, for no practical reason.

Why should such a character get in? Why should I want them? What can they do? How might they be implemented? Those, to me, are the more interesting things to talk about.

But eh, could just be me.
It's not just you, but it's also not everyone.

Personally, what they can do and how they might be implemented matters very little to me compared to how iconic a character or their franchise is, and how appropriately represented they are.

At the end of the day, I'll play the characters I enjoy playing, but that has no effect on who I think should be added.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Really? When Geno and Rex exist?
I suppose you're right, the worst Bandana Waddle Dee gets is aggressive disinterest.

I wouldn't say Rex is decisive though. There are like, 2 people who hate Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with every fiber of their being for whatever reason, and there are a few who think he looks dumb, but I don't think he'd be considered decisive...Or maybe we just don't talk about him much. lol

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
To me BWD seems like the kind of character that were he a virtual one-off, as most non-generic Kirby characters are, he certainly wouldn't be among the most popular of them.

Marx and Magolor and Susie has proven to be popular despite only really showing up once in a significant way, bar DLC, and I don't think BWD would be able to claim the same were he in their situation.

He seems a beneficiary of circumstance rather than a character that would innately find themselves popular imo. But popularity is popularity.
I feel that the same thing would apply to Meta Knight and Possibly King Dedede as well. A lot of their moves simply involve them swinging their weapons around, and it's not like they'll be conjuring up black holes, Ultra Swords, or Robobot Armor in a snap anytime soon. If they were virtual one-offs at this point, they'd probably only have their designs to back them up but they probably still wouldn't be as "cool" as Marx, Magolor, or Susie.
Then again, they probably wouldn't have been part of a generic species, so who knows?

Either way, they've instead played numerous and important roles in the Kirby franchise even since their debuts which eventually got them into Smash, due to their prominent appearance in the series.

Now, it definitely feels like Bandana Dee is going to follow in their footsteps.

I think Hat Goomba is funny because of how simple it is yet how effectively it riles up the BWD fans.
Well, it's a great term to weed out the people who don't actually know what they're talking about (unless they're just being ironic).
But, perhaps it's hardly worth being bothered by since it really doesn't do anything to affect Bandana Dee as a whole at this point.

Even then, it would probably be worth lightening up a little since it's practically just a playful jab.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Really? When Geno and Rex exist?
I guess... But there's something weirdly different about bandana dee... I don't know how to describe it. Feels a lot more agressive.

Though that might just be my personal bias for the character talking haha

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking. Would Kirby Fighters 2 lower the chances for BWD? Look at his obviously Ultimate-inspired render. It just feels like a "sorry he didn't get in, you can still play as him in a fighting game here though" pat on the back.

He's 95% there, he only needs two things

1. A Smash slot
2. A side mode, like Meta Knighmare or the one Dedede one in Triple Deluxe
Kumazaki said a BWD mode was planned before the idea of Dream Friends in Star Allies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Geno is usually the one with the biggest split. You have people who would die to get him in Smash, and then you have people who believe they'd die if they put him in Smash.

Most people aren't aggressively against BWD. A majority of the people who don't want him usually display a strong disinterest in the character and nothing else. They'll toss a few insults like "Hat Goomba" or maybe claim he'd be boring, but there's rarely anyone who has the motivation to get into a long heated debate over BWD.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I've been thinking. Would Kirby Fighters 2 lower the chances for BWD? Look at his obviously Ultimate-inspired render. It just feels like a "sorry he didn't get in, you can still play as him in a fighting game here though" pat on the back.
I mean it's not like being in another fighting game prior to Smash has stopped other characters before.

I don't think Bandana Dee is super likely, but I don't see this as something to really consider.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Kumazaki said a BWD mode was planned before the idea of Dream Friends in Star Allies.
I dont see any Kumazaki kirby related thing ever getting in smash unless it reaches Banjo/K Rool levels of request.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah. I highly doubt any the logic behind any Nintendo game existing would be that a dev saw something they wanted in another Nintendo game and went "fine, I'll do it myself!".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, but what is the joke in "Bandana Edelgard"? Do you mean Dimitri? Huh???

Koopaul

Smash Champion
When it comes to speculation we should be bipartisan on characters. This is the Newcomer Speculation right? Whether you love them or hate them is irrelevant to whether or not they'll be in the game. I remove my personal tastes and try to be objective. I see so many people attack or defend a characters chances based on whether or not they want them in Smash.

The people who want that fighter will cling on to the silliest of things and use that as evidence that their character will be likely. They'll say things like "deserves" or "important" to make their case. On the flip side we have the haters who will say a character is unlikely because they just plain old don't like/aren't interested in the character. They'll often throw out "not relevant" or "not important".

These are all poor arguments.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
It's not the tangerine itself, but people dissing the tangerine.
It definitely goes both ways, though.
Not every Kirby fan is a Bandana Dee fan, in fact I would think that Kirby fans would be the most vocal about their distaste towards Bandana Dee since they're the first to know of other characters like Magolor, Adeleine, Susie, and even Dark Matter.

Yep, I think we gone to the point where we are in the desperation phase on SmashBoards, if people are genuinely believing we are going to get Travis and Bandana Waddle Dee as the next character because "new game and the creator said something basic"

Also guys, not everything looks like a Smash render
I don't even want Bandana Dee to be in the Fighter's Pass at this point.
Just save those slots for the same five characters that are always brought up in speculation, so then people can re-kiss Sakurai's ass before he leaves for his well-needed vacation.

If Bandana Dee got in, people would be too busy spreading unneeded discourse over such a harmless addition to the roster.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I've been a bit less active recently because not a lot is hapenning in term of speculation, but I was watching TGS today and I wanted to talk a bit more about 2B. First, Nier automata is now at 4,5 million sales, which is quite a lot for a Japanese game like that. The franchise will also have a mobile game titles Nier Reincarnation. At the TGS, Square confirmed that the game will release in the West, and they opened a English twitter for the game. Nier replicant ver. 1224... will also have a collector edition in the West. This big push for Nier isn't that surprising considering that in 2017 Square said that they wanted Nier to become one of their major franchise after Automata's success.

I feel that right now, Nier is in a spot very similar to Dragon quest was last year. Dragon quest was already a big franchise, but it was never really huge outside of Japan (not small, just could have been better). At november 2018, DQ 11 was at 4 million sales (including 3ds and ps4 version), and in september 2020 the game had more than 6 million sales, adding the new switch version. We don't know officially how the Switch version did exactly, but it's safe to assume that most of those new sales was from that version. I think that if Square would want to promote another of their franchise, it's going to be Nier. Bravely also have a game coming soon, but Square never treat Bravely as one of their big franchise. Just look on Square sites the Nier marchandise you can buy. Smash could be the push that Nier needs to be officially one of Square biggest franchise in the same category as Kingdom hearts.

I know we talked a lot about 2B before, but I wanted to talk about her a bit more because of how Square is pushing Nier at the TGS.

Shroob

Sup?
I've been a bit less active recently because not a lot is hapenning in term of speculation, but I was watching TGS today and I wanted to talk a bit more about 2B. First, Nier automata is now at 4,5 million sales, which is quite a lot for a Japanese game like that. The franchise will also have a mobile game titles Nier Reincarnation. At the TGS, Square confirmed that the game will release in the West, and they opened a English twitter for the game. Nier replicant ver. 1224... will also have a collector edition in the West. This big push for Nier isn't that surprising considering that in 2017 Square said that they wanted Nier to become one of their major franchise after Automata's success.

I feel that right now, Nier is in a spot very similar to Dragon quest was last year. Dragon quest was already a big franchise, but it was never really huge outside of Japan (not small, just could have been better). At november 2018, DQ 11 was at 4 million sales (including 3ds and ps4 version), and in september 2020 the game had more than 6 million sales, adding the new switch version. We don't know officially how the Switch version did exactly, but it's safe to assume that most of those new sales was from that version. I think that if Square would want to promote another of their franchise, it's going to be Nier. Bravely also have a game coming soon, but Square never treat Bravely as one of their big franchise. Just look on Square sites the Nier marchandise you can buy. Smash could be the push that Nier needs to be officially one of Square biggest franchise in the same category as Kingdom hearts.

I know we talked a lot about 2B before, but I wanted to talk about her a bit more because of how Square is pushing Nier at the TGS.
I'd love 2B to be in.

I feel like certain others would loathe seeing her in due to the implications of her being our Square rep.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
We interrupt your BWD discussion to give you the POTD of tonight:
I thought the text referred to Pokémon at first...

Turns out it relates to Dragon Warrior Monsters releasing in Japan on this date (Sept 25) in 1998.

My dreams of being the very best like no one ever was just went down dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom