• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Digimon always struck me as a "grey area" franchise. While more well known for the anime, Digimon started out as virtual pets (a spinoff of Tamagotchi in fact). The question is do virtual pets count as video games?
My line of thinking is that if something like Game & Watches are considered video games, then virtual pets like Digimon or Tamogatchi absolutely count too

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I think I've got a little game.

List two characters you can think of that could be paired and revealed together like Hero and Banjo & Kazooie, one with mostly Japanese appeal and the other with mostly Western appeal.
No doubt Sora for Japan

West, idk, Ill go with the only one ill be indifferent to, Crash

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

List two characters you can think of that could be paired and revealed together like Hero and Banjo & Kazooie, one with mostly Japanese appeal and the other with mostly Western appeal.
I’m gonna go for a reverse Hero/Banjo. Where the Japanese character is from a smaller, but beloved series while the Western character is from a mega series. So Yuri & Master Chief. They’d also be Xbox 360 bros since Tales of Vesperia was launched as a 360 exclusive.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I’m gonna go for a reverse Hero/Banjo. Where the Japanese character is from a smaller, but beloved series while the Western character is from a mega series. So Yuri & Master Chief. They’d also be Xbox 360 bros since Tales of Vesperia was launched as a 360 exclusive.
oh true, how did I forget about my boy Yuri

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Travis

Japan: Bandana Dee
West: Scorpion

I know the former is cheating a bit given his popularity in the States but is more requested in Japan.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Reimu for Japan and Shovel Knight for the West. Double indies, old classic and modern success story, the major bases are covered and (almost) everyone is happy. We can swap out Shovel Knight for Steve? if we still consider Minecraft an indie or want to honor the time when it was.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Iirc, they changed them back in the Mega Man X Legacy collection because it produced results like Duff McWhalen. That Maverick has got to be the most unfortunate one of the bunch. His name was originally changed to something stupid, his stage theme is just a remix of Bubble Crab's theme, His weapon was ripped from one of the previous game's weapons and they called it the Goo Shaver (who thought that was OK?), and I think they even reused Bubble Crab's main set piece for his stage.
Yeah, hence why I specified ps1 X5

I'd use Chief and Adol Christin then, both are characters who revolutionized the industry by quite a bit but are rather unknown outside of their regions of origin

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, hence why I specified ps1 X5

I'd use Chief and Adol Christin then, both are characters who revolutionized the industry by quite a bit but are rather unknown outside of their regions of origin
On the topic of Adol, I once heard that he could shake up the moveset formula by having a mobile jab like Min Min and Mega Man, a chargeable slash, and a counter when hit during the charging slash. Would that be accurate?

Also, let's give him a gimmick where he deals damage just by dashing behind an enemy, because bump controls were apparently a thing back then.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Travis was the Talk of the Town last night I made a dream song list (Some of them have naughty words)

Remixes:
Kill Or Be Killed
N.M.H.
We Are Finally Cowboys
Season of the Samurai
KM 1-1

Regular music:
Nathan Is Our Boss
Shoegazer Watched The Stars
Philistine
Vioectrolysis
Mach 13 Elephant Explosion
Silver Face
Twilight
Happy WarMore
Pleather For Breakfast
Stop Hanging DJs
Twin Electromagic
Dynamite Rocket
Dose Of Innocence
Rocket Surgeon
Beam Katana Chronicles II
Subuta.1
Subuta.2

In a perfect world we would get all of the boss themes but there are a lot so I just chose my favorites
This is an awesome list. I can only hope we get this many tracks, maybe with a surprise NMH3 track as well. Great choices for remixes, too. Love that it's not all NMH1 because NMH2 has some killer, killer pieces. I also feel like we'll get both the US version of Philistine and the autotuned version of Philistine that Europe got.

I'd love to see a big swinging remix of The Virgin Child Makes Her Wish Without Feeling Anything but I'm...not sure they'd be able to get away with that.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice

I was going to pick Lara Croft and Dixie because it would be Square and Rare like before....but they're both western....in fact most of my wants appear to have more western appeal.... I'll keep it Nintendo based and go with Dixie and Rex & Pyra.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On the topic of Adol, I once heard that he could shake up the moveset formula by having a mobile jab like Min Min and Mega Man, a chargeable slash, and a counter when hit during the charging slash. Would that be accurate?

Also, let's give him a gimmick where he deals damage just by dashing behind an enemy, because bump controls were apparently a thing back then.
I only played Bump Ys games but yeah yeah a mobile jab would be accurate to that. I should play the 3 and 4 remakes so I can see what Adol can do in a game with a bigger focus on action

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I only played Bump Ys games but yeah yeah a mobile jab would be accurate to that. I should play the 3 and 4 remakes so I can see what Adol can do in a game with a bigger focus on action
Ys VIII, Origin and Oath in Felghana are my personal favorites.

when it comes to Falcom I prefer Trails over all but the gameplay of the later Ys games are very very fun

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
That Suda quote has me optimistic that we’ll get at least something No More Heroes in Smash, although I guess we’ll wait to see what (and when) that will be.

I haven’t played any of the bump system games yet, so idk much about how those could translate over. I’ve played the Ys games that use the same visual style/engine as Trails in the Sky (VI, Oath in Felghana, and Origin). In Oath, he has a more or less standard sword style with a few magic specials. VI gives him three different swords that each have their own element (wind, fire, and lightning) and a slightly different style. I’m playing Memories of Celceta now, and it introduces Flash Move and Flash Guard, which are basically perfect dodging and parrying. Flash Move temporarily slows enemies down, whereas Flash Guard temporarily increases your damage. Flash Guard would be pretty easy to bring over to Smash as-is, but Flash Move might be a little trickier to balance.

If they do include Adol, I could see them using his Ys IX design and abilities, both to promote Ys IX coming to the Switch this summer and because the design is much more visually distinct than his others. Ys IX gives Adol a teleport dash kind of like what Noctis does in FFXV, so that could be an interesting mechanic to include in some way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's time!

And not a second too soon, hopefully FP7 (and hopefully 8, please Sakurai-Sama?!) will bring the HYPE!
The impossible dream: OH BABY A TRIPLE (that’s right FP7 and FP8, and throw in FP9 ABSOLUTELY FREE!)

but yeah... unless they cut FP8’s and/or 9’s trailers short with a Now In Development disclaimer I don’t see that happening

BUT BY GOD I NEED IT

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I can't remember. This insinuates that the next character will release after the 4th correct?
Well... not really. It means they'll release soon. Sometimes a character can be revealed before a 7/11 ad is pulled. I think we saw that with either Terry or Byleth.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Questions & Predictions:
  1. Why stick up an add for just 2 weeks?
    • Because it will become obsolete after that.
  2. Why stick up an add if it's just going to become obsolete in a few days?
    • It's not, the expiration date is just when they're gonna switch adds.
What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom