• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Biggest difference is Nintendo's involvement with NMH3 and Sakurai's relationship with Suda. I personally don't see Nintendo reaching out to him and asking for just some Spirits or a costume when they could get another Bayonetta moment and give a project they've invested heavily in huge promotion.

As I've said before, time will tell, but I think Travis looks good IMHO. I'd personally be shocked if he wasn't playable at this point.
I'm not saying they won't ask for a character, I'm saying if they don't ask for a character, I really doubt Suda would turn his nose up at the "consolation prize".

Only petulant fans adhere to the "better nothing than something". From what we've seen, people are just happy to get their content into Smash in whatever form it takes. And let's be real, Suda does not have the bargaining power of some companies that have been relegated to non-playable content. I imagine he'd take whatever sort of inclusion is offered to him.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, about Travis being the Bayo of Smash Ultimate, keep in Mind Bayonetta 2 released about a year before she was revealed

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm not saying they won't ask for a character, I'm saying if they don't ask for a character, I really doubt Suda would turn his nose up at the "consolation prize".

Only petulant fans adhere to the "better nothing than something". From what we've seen, people are just happy to get their content into Smash in whatever form it takes. And let's be real, Suda does not have the bargaining power of some companies that have been relegated to non-playable content. I imagine he'd take whatever sort of inclusion is offered to him.
I won't argue that. Push comes to shove, I'm sure he'd take anything, even a Spirit.

I guess for me, it's more that I just see the similarities between Travis and Bayo that I just can't help but feel confidant, personally.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I mean, why would they bother with building a low effort stage that anyone can make when... anyone can make them?
Because it’d be official? Random individual custom stages only rarely gain much of a following, but official ones would be ones that many people would have shared experiences with.

They could get various big names in gaming to make each “official” custom stage, which would make them similar to the Big Name Games in Warioware D.I.Y. Those microgames weren’t anything that the player couldn’t make on their own (aside from the unique golden star shaped cartridge icon that they use on the menus,) but they were still more significant in a way, weren’t they?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
My prediction is Travis Touchdown CP7 and Monster Hunter CP8.

Thoughts?
I've always thought both had very good chances. They make sense as characters Nintendo would pick, and Sakurai wouldn't say no to either.
A dev-created custom Stage Builder stage, since they could do that relatively easily but haven’t ever done any of those yet for some reason.
Why would the devs use Stage Builder when they can just use the assets they'd have in the dev kit? Stage Builder is far more limited and has some issues that wouldn't be present in a dev kit, such as a limited variety of textures and janky platforms and ledges

D

Deleted member

His boyfriend does

3 out of 4 is still pretty good for me
Do you include Travis when you came up with the number four?
I've always thought both had very good chances. They make sense as characters Nintendo would pick, and Sakurai wouldn't say no to either.
Even if Sakurai said no, he probably wouldn't be able to stop the character.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Why would the devs use Stage Builder when they can just use the assets they'd have in the dev kit? Stage Builder is far more limited and has some issues that wouldn't be present in a dev kit, such as a limited variety of textures and janky platforms and ledges
It’d be much faster to make, wouldn’t require particularly extensive testing since testing new features takes ages, and would be able to leverage the already existing stage builder sharing feature.

My idea is that it’d be intended to be just a little tiny extra to keep us busy when there isn’t any more significant news to share.

D

Deleted member

FP7: Travis Touchdown
FP8: Monster Hunter

Honestly, I cannot predict the rest of this Fighter's Pass, but these are my two bets.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
So you think it's likelier that Suda changed his entire disposition for no real reason rather than being under an NDA where "no comment" was an acceptable answer?
My point is if he's under NDA, like y'all are suggesting, it's not as closely guarded a secret as a fighter has been. It's more in line with how Shantae or Rodin or Shovel Knight was treated by companies outside nintendo, where Nintendo doesn't regulate as much because it's not so much of a "cornerstone" to their marketing scheme.

So basically if you want Travis you better hope this isn't an NDA affected statement

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My point is if he's under NDA, like y'all are suggesting, it's not as closely guarded a secret as a fighter has been. It's more in line with how Shantae or Rodin or Shovel Knight was treated by companies outside nintendo, where Nintendo doesn't regulate as much because it's not so much of a "cornerstone" to their marketing scheme.

So basically if you want Travis you better hope this isn't an NDA affected statement
Why, because the interviewer was permitted to ask Suda about Smash?

What about this?

A Dualshockers interview where KoF director and main SNK software project manager Yasuyuki Oda was asked point blank about Smash inclusion after Terry had already been decided. Not an AT, not a spirit, a fighter.

I think your idea of what's permissible to ask in an interview might be a bit officious.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Oh boy I can't wait for my 2 Ff14 songs.
I know you meant 15 but I want to gush about how great 14's soundtrack is

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With this new development, I'm thinking Travis is in. Could be a Mii Costume, he certainly can wield a sword, but given No More Heroes III, I think the game either gets a fighter or just the old Spirit Event.

However, I'd like to ask my favorite Smash sleuths if Suda's spoken about Travis in Smash after this interview - it's from August 2019, Suda's bound to have given interviews since then and what he answered to them is key. For all we know negotiations were in place but fell through.

On the subject of whether the question itself means that there isn't actually an NDA, I honestly doubt it. Sure, interviews usually have ground rules, but I don't think Nintendo would actually require that devs refuse to answer questions about Smash, or require that they aren't asked. That would be a dead giveaway, any news outlet, when told they can't ask about Smash, would leak the **** out of that. It's too much of a risk.
If Travis gets in, I'll be convinced that wearing glasses makes characters from M-rated games more likely for Smash.
Paging Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium , I think it's time to split
Wait who is Snake's boyfriend???
I thought this was referring to Kaz, but then I figured it also applies to Otacon, funny how it works multiple ways.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Why, because the interviewer was permitted to ask Suda about Smash?

What about this?

A Dualshockers interview where KoF director and main SNK software project manager Yasuyuki Oda was asked point blank about Smash inclusion after Terry had already been decided. Not an AT, not a spirit, a fighter.

I think your idea of what's permissible to ask in an interview might be a bit officious.
Wait...
Poppy's a guy?!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Stuff like this is too ambiguous for me. "This isn't like Suda," isn't the best argument by itself because the guy seems pretty spontaneous as is. There's really no telling what was going through his head when he said that.

Plus, even if it does mean something, it doesn't necessarily translate to playable character. I could just as easily see us getting a Mii Costume and a music track or some Spirits.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Alright, good ole fashion question time!

What is your “most” most wanted character in Smash Bros? Like... the one character, that above all else, you want in the game more than any other.

For me personally, While Young Wizard from Wizard101 is high up there in terms of my wants list(well really it’s the only reasonable one outta the bunch) I would be estactic if literally anything Bushiroad got in(I imagine a Bushiroad character would be Blaster Blade or Chronojet Dragon)

Like, a card game character has always been pretty high on my wants, but I really feel that a Bushi character would be way more interesting than just simply slapping an MtG planeswalker or Dark Magician into the game and calling it a day. Like... you have your generic sword boys... but with lazer swords(The Blasters) Fiery apoloyptic dragons(Overlord and all his various evolutions and possible future forms) but then you have some out there concepts... like bug mafia(Megacolony) Football but there’s no rules(Spike Brothers) and nom nom canabalistic cyborgs dinos(Tachikaze)
There’s a lot of content you could add with just a single Bushiroad character, although reality slaps me in the face and says it’s not happening because no anime.

:terryhat: But that’s all I gots to say about that.
It’s Magnus. I like Magnus a lot

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Paging Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium , I think it's time to split
Do goggles or whatever the hell Cortez wears over his eyes count as glasses? Let me answer my own question. You wear them over your eyes and they allow you to see better in water, driving without a window or getting sand kicked in your eyes which is what I assume his... things do so yeah.

It's...

Time to Split compressed.gif

But only TimeSplitters Future Perfect has been M rated, The other two games before it are only teen. However that makes his chances even better.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Irregardless of whether Suda's words meant anything, can we just point to the fact that the gulf between NMH and bayo is pretty big?

Bayonetta - Broke a million sales, received a lot of critical acclaim, the sequel was wholly backed and published by Nintendo
NMH - I think this says a lot about how Japan views NMH, reviews were good but nothing great, none of the series were backed by nintendo or anything

The comparison isn't great to begin with. Of course nintendo could change their mind, NMH3 is fully backed by them etc, but i don't think using bayo was that good of an idea.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Irregardless of whether Suda's words meant anything, can we just point to the fact that the gulf between NMH and bayo is pretty big?

Bayonetta - Broke a million sales, received a lot of critical acclaim, the sequel was wholly backed and published by Nintendo
NMH - I think this says a lot about how Japan views NMH, reviews were good but nothing great, none of the series were backed by nintendo or anything

The comparison isn't great to begin with. Of course nintendo could change their mind, NMH3 is fully backed by them etc, but i don't think using bayo was that good of an idea.
Killer7 is one of greatest games ever made so by association anything suda is allowed in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom