• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What about the possibility he could get a Spirit Event or Mii costume?
Oh it's definitely possible. I've just decided to hedge my bets on him being playable. I have nothing to lose outside of just...possibly being wrong? So like, nothing to lose. :V

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
You've got to consider how Suda normally responds to questions like this, where he is always keen to appeal to fans as far as asking for Travis. Or at least saying Travis isn't included. He's even brought up Travis in Smash when it had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I agree for another dev it wouldn't mean all that much, but given Suda's candidness, this is a definite departure from his normal response, and therefore it is a little suspicious.
I don't usually come into this thread, I've more or less disavowed myself of it, but I'd just like to say that you're all focusing on the contents of this comment as opposed to its reason for existing.

Do you really think that, if Travis was truly in FP2, this question would be allowed to be asked? In any given interview, there's always ground rules laid with what questions are permissible and what aren't. Given how Smash is on suda's mind a lot, it's virtually impossible to think that he just would allow questions of this nature to be asked in the interview if he knows he can't answer them. A lot of Q&As and interviews will in general stipulate "Please refrain from asking questions about other properties or future projects", so Suda not stipulating that heavily implies that if he even is under NDA, it's of similar nature to Wayforward's NDA or Pete Hines, in that he's able to talk about it to an extent, but not disclose what's going on.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh it's definitely possible. I've just decided to hedge my bets on him being playable. I have nothing to lose outside of just...possibly being wrong? So like, nothing to lose. :V
If Travis isn't I will personally find out where you live, come to your house, and smack you across the face.

Now there are stakes involved. You're welcome.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's going to be so hard to temper my expectations but I simply must. Yes, my current most-wanted and my biggest Brawl want may make it finally and yes his chances look better than ever and yes this is the most suspicious comment that could have been uttered but that doesn't mean it's not for a costume or spirits...

Until I see Travis slice the screen at the end of the direct into the Smash logo and say "Oh, you thought it was over, huh?" I'm refusing to believe in anything. But as a fan and longtime supporter of Travis, this is absolutely the first time Suda has ever been anything approaching coy about Travis in Smash.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah gonna say it's too early to deem anyone as a "lock" and the no comment response could still be related to a NMH Spirit Board or a Travis Mii Costume. I'd imagine there would still be an NDA in place for something like that as well.

That being said, I already considered Travis to be likely for this Pass so this only helps his chances. Maybe in the Fighter 11 spot closer to NMH3's release.

D

Deleted member

Travis is in for sure. His chances as being a playable character increased more.
if travis is gonna be in smash, how is he gonna charge his sword if he cant jack it off?
"Jack if off?"

Is it what I think it is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Regarding Travis's more M-rated aspects:

He never truly jacked off his sword, it was more he shook it with both hands - somewhat suggestively, true, but hardly as explicitly as the phrase would have you believe. Shaking it like a soda can still gets across his lackadaisical attitude and still works for the lore/character, so that's probably what I'd do if they had to change it.

Blood isn't completely necessary for him, as international versions of the game have replaced the blood with black spray or just coins, and being in Smash it could even just be hit sparks as seen with Joker.

He doesn't have to swear, either - he has plenty of exclamations he can make such as "What a joke!" that he often makes in the games after a kill.

I hope we get plenty of content from all three (or even four depending on if Sakurai could play some NMH3) games, with some chip attacks from TSA, and the Tiger transformation from NMH2. And of course, tons of music, even if they have to cut some words or verses from Philistine.

Heck, I could even see his toilet saving as a victory pose with some clever shadows and name bar censorship. It's mostly a comical thing and plenty of games use minor toilet humor without going M.

The fact that this may really be his time is just nuts. Again, I'm trying not to get too excited because the looking Mii Swordfighter costume makes perfect sense...but man...I want him so much.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Regarding Travis's more M-rated aspects:

He never truly jacked off his sword, it was more he shook it with both hands - somewhat suggestively, true, but hardly as explicitly as the phrase would have you believe. Shaking it like a soda can still gets across his lackadaisical attitude and still works for the lore/character, so that's probably what I'd do if they had to change it.

Blood isn't completely necessary for him, as international versions of the game have replaced the blood with black spray or just coins, and being in Smash it could even just be hit sparks as seen with Joker.

He doesn't have to swear, either - he has plenty of exclamations he can make such as "What a joke!" that he often makes in the games after a kill.

I hope we get plenty of content from all three (or even four depending on if Sakurai could play some NMH3) games, with some chip attacks from TSA, and the Tiger transformation from NMH2. And of course, tons of music, even if they have to cut some words or verses from Philistine.

Heck, I could even see his toilet saving as a victory pose with some clever shadows and name bar censorship. It's mostly a comical thing and plenty of games use minor toilet humor without going M.

The fact that this may really be his time is just nuts. Again, I'm trying not to get too excited because the looking Mii Swordfighter costume makes perfect sense...but man...I want him so much.
The biggest M-Rated aspect that could immediately be effected by Smash is song lyrics. As much as I don't want it to happen for some songs namely Philistine might have to either be the instrumental versions or heavily censored, it makes sense but I won't like it .

I really enjoy the No More Heroes games If Travis gets in I just hope we get good songs.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yo someone catch me up to speed here, why are we all freaking out about Travis?
Suda51 always tries to drum up support for Travis any time he's asked about Travis in Smash. He has never once dodged the question, and always says something along the lines of "it'd be cool but no he's not in smash, but make sure to voice your support for him!"

Recently, he was asked the question again, and gave the standard corporate answer of "no comment". Because of Suda's past behavior, this is seen as an interesting comment for him to make.

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet
Always willing to help out a comrade.
View attachment 286189
Suda51 always tries to drum up support for Travis any time he's asked about Travis in Smash. He has never once dodged the question, and always says something along the lines of "it'd be cool but no he's not in smash, but make sure to voice your support for him!"

Recently, he was asked the question again, and gave the standard corporate answer of "no comment". Because of Suda's past behavior, this is seen as an interesting comment for him to make.
Oh ****, I see
I always considered No More Heroes content to be likely but I guess this almost confirms it. Personally, I'm placing my bets on a Travis mii costume or NMH spirit event but I would not be surprised in the slightest if we got Travis as a fighter.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Here's the post, now please call off the alien death dragon.

As the above post says, it happened at Gamescom 2019, so in late August. That's after we suspect the pass was finalized, so this is definitely pretty suspicious.
:waluigirose:Ridley, stand down.

Thank you. This does rise Travis' chances.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If I had to pick a stage for Travis it'd probably be the Santa Destroy Stadium, but the KOF Arena kinda stole the sports stadium vibe. That said, it'd be neat if it transitioned mid-match to Bad Girl's boss area.

My other ideas are the rooftop you fight Helter Skelter/Skelter Helter, or the No More Heroes Motel itself - a crappy apartment would a fun stage.

Look at this man, and say that with a straight face.
okay fine I'll amend it to "he doesn't do the traditional jack-off motion on-camera."

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wait... Wasn't there a more recent interview with Suda51 where he was asked about Smash and he said something more in character? I vaguely remember that happening this year.
I can't imagine there is, considering this interview is from the most recent issue of Switch Player magazine, which came out 3 days ago.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't usually come into this thread, I've more or less disavowed myself of it, but I'd just like to say that you're all focusing on the contents of this comment as opposed to its reason for existing.

Do you really think that, if Travis was truly in FP2, this question would be allowed to be asked?

In any given interview, there's always ground rules laid with what questions are permissible and what aren't. Given how Smash is on suda's mind a lot, it's virtually impossible to think that he just wouldn't allow questions of this nature to be asked in the interview if he knows he can't answer them. A lot of Q&As and interviews will in general stipulate "Please refrain from asking questions about other properties or future projects", so Suda not stipulating that heavily implies that if he even is under NDA, it's of similar nature to Wayforward's NDA or Pete Hines, in that he's able to talk about it to an extent, but not disclose what's going on.
Well it was asked and if Travis isn't the game in some context I have no reason to believe Suda wouldn't have given his normal candid answer. Because every other instance reinforces that precedent. He was doing it as recently as last year.

I don't think sudden onset professionalism apropos of nothing is the likelier culprit here, I gotta be honest.

I think you're making quite a few presumptions over what Suda's interview stipulations are, especially given people within companies with unrevealed Smash content have been allowed to be asked about Smash, even if they're not allowed to give a straight answer. Which Suda didn't.

Reading too much into an answer is something we're probably all familiar with, but reading too much into a question might be a new one for me.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If I had to pick a stage for Travis it'd probably be the Santa Destroy Stadium, but the KOF Arena kinda stole the sports stadium vibe. That said, it'd be neat if it transitioned mid-match to Bad Girl's boss area.

My other ideas are the rooftop you fight Helter Skelter/Skelter Helter, or the No More Heroes Motel itself - a crappy apartment would a fun stage."
I think The stage would either be the No More Heroes Motel or the Entirety of Santa Destroy as like a travelling stage or something and it would go to various boss arenas

I can't imagine there is, considering this interview is from the most recent issue of Switch Player magazine, which came out 3 days ago.
Yeah I must have confused it with another non Suda51 interview

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom