• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Remember when Sakurai said he wanted the next fighter to be reveal sooner than usual?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think we can all agree that we're getting something from No More Heroes in Smash. Whether that content is a playable fighter, a mii costume, or a spirit event is unknown to us. I always jokingly (yet seriously at the same time) said we will know if Travis is in Smash or not if someone asked Suda about it in an interview. Suda's change in his standard reply is a big "hmmm" moment and it possibly implies Travis is in Smash in some form.

D

Deleted member

Oh, wow. Those both read like white parents from the US picked those spellings to make them more unique while giving a pretty standard name.
Nah; that kind of spelling to be more unique is more common coming from US black families rather than white. But we don’t want to head down that rabbit hole because it can quickly stray from polite discussion to something less savory

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, wow. Those both read like white parents from the US picked those spellings to make them more unique while giving a pretty standard name.
Tbf all the Mavericks in PS1 X5 were named after Guns and Roses members due to the localizer's husband being a huge fan. Pretty funny too considering an X3 song sounds like a Guns and Roses song

Freduardo

Smash Champion
While Suda’s no comment certainly makes me think Travis is in smash... this is the same guy who trolled no more heroes 3 information by shoving his head in the way of the video (and it was funny as hell).

he could just be messing with people.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know this won’t happen because “no anime rule” is a thing but am I the only one that would love to see Yugi/Dark Magician in the game?
View attachment 286207
I guess it would depend on how they were incorporated. I don't know much about Yu-Gi-Oh (I've been curious, but looking at those rules made my head hurt), so I can't say for certain how they would play.

For what it's worth, though, I did catch glimpses of the anime on 4Kids. Though I'm pretty sure I watched it out of order...

D

Deleted member

I guess it would depend on how they were incorporated. I don't know much about Yu-Gi-Oh (I've been curious, but looking at those rules made my head hurt), so I can't say for certain how they would play.

For what it's worth, though, I did catch glimpses of the anime on 4Kids. Though I'm pretty sure I watched it out of order...
I imagine a Dark Magician character would lean less on the actual card game and more how Yugi is protrayed in Jump Force: just as a normal character with his monster cards being a side attraction rather than the main thing.

Going by lore, Dark Magician would be a very speedy magician like character, probably with Dark Magician Girl occasionally showing in the final smash, which would no doubt be Dark Burning Magic
539EF1E3-DD08-4762-992F-8965D51C6D29.png

He’d definitely be the first magic focused character we have who uses a staff instead of a sword, and if you add Yugi to the mix you could add a bunch of stuff like the Magnet Warriors, Slifer the Sky Dragon, and the numerous jank **** he used in the anime like Berserker Soul. Of course no anime rule is a thing so ):

As a side note, the anime order is OG, GX, 5DS, Zexal, Arc-5, and then Vrains. Sevens is just a spin off so it really doesn’t matter when you watch it.

Also a couple seasons are only in sub(GX season 4 never got dubbed, presumably because of how ****ing dark it is) so I would just go with sub if you’re gonna marathon it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
While Suda’s no comment certainly makes me think Travis is in smash... this is the same guy who trolled no more heroes 3 information by shoving his head in the way of the video (and it was funny as hell).

he could just be messing with people.
I don't know. He made sure that we knew Travis wasn't coming to Fighter Pass 1 at all. I don't think he'd troll people without pay off, especially since he's been asking Sakurai since Brawl to add Travis Touchdown. Whether this means he's a Fighter or a Mii costume, we don't know.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else thought about "Grey area" characters? Not as legitimate inclusions but for as for what could still be included without going too far?

Stuck like "Could a Virtual Novel Character be in" or "A browser Flash game/NewGrounds character" maybe even "A card or board game character count?" or maybe "Game exclusive characters from 4th party licensed games"

I often wonder where the line is drawn. The obvious would be full on 4th party characters but but are there other limitations out in or not? Sounds like a fun place to debate!

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Has anyone else thought about "Grey area" characters? Not as legitimate inclusions but for as for what could still be included without going too far?

Stuck like "Could a Virtual Novel Character be in" or "A browser Flash game/NewGrounds character" maybe even "A card or board game character count?" or maybe "Game exclusive characters from 4th party licensed games"

I often wonder where the line is drawn. The obvious would be full on 4th party characters but but are there other limitations out in or not? Sounds like a fun place to debate!
The closest one I can think of is Geralt. Mainly because while he did originate from books, the games are a far departure from the original source material and the company that owns his video game IP, CD Projekt Red, went into court with the original author and reached a settlement that gives them the rights of the Witcher IP in video games. This is why Geralt's crossover in stuff like Soul Calibur and Monster Hunter World uses the video game version instead of the book version, and also because the game version is generally more well known than the book version but don't tell Sapkowski that lol.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Going back in the conversation: if there were to be.a Nintendo vs Capcom game done in that style that would mean approx 15 vs 15 playable characters evenly split between the two companies. What 30 players you got?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Kirby
Marth
Samus
Fox
Inkling

Ryu
Chun-Li
Mega Man
Zero
Leon Kennedy
Dante
Morrigan
Arthur
Monster Hunter (Or a Palico)
Phoenix Wright
Frank West
Haggar
Strider Hiryu
Amateratsu
Viewtiful Joe
I've been considering Frank West from the Dead Rising series as a fighter...but here's the thing; I've been considering him as a bonus fighter, with a pack that comes with:

-His theme from UMvC3
-A Spirit based on Chuck Greene
-A Spirit based on Nick Ramos
-A Servbot Mii Costume
Oh, a beat 'em up character?

Mike Haggar or bust. :bowsette:

.....wait.... he's Capcom.... Jesus Christ can we just have Nintendo vs Capcom, Capcom has too many good choices.
Frank & Haggar are two of my favorite game characters ever. I’d die of excitement if they got in.

I think visual novels would be fine. There’s been lots of discussion about Ace Attorney & Danganronpa. They’re still video games.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

One of the most "grey area" character for me is Hatsune Miku. I don't think she have that much chance, but I feel that if we get a non video game character it would be her and her alone. She starts as a "mascot" for a Vocaloid software, but she have a lot of games and I feel like "program character" are close enough to video game to make a exception to the "non video games characters can't get in" rule. Of course, I'm not Sakurai so maybe he would never consider Miku for the same reason he never consider Goku, but I personally think that Miku cases is different than Goku or Geralt because she's way more associated to video games than those two.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
One of the most "grey area" character for me is Hatsune Miku. I don't think she have that much chance, but I feel that if we get a non video game character it would be her and her alone. She starts as a "mascot" for a Vocaloid software, but she have a lot of games and I feel like "program character" are close enough to video game to make a exception to the "non video games characters can't get in" rule. Of course, I'm not Sakurai so maybe he would never consider Miku for the same reason he never consider Goku, but I personally think that Miku cases is different than Goku or Geralt because she's way more associated to video games than those two.
I definitely don't see Hatsune Miku happening, tho she would be cool

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Hopping onto the Hatsune Miku train there are some more specific things, There are 9 Project DIVA video games some of which have released on 3DS and Switch and SEGA has the full rights to put her in Video games be that unique games or crossovers.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Sakurai has said in the past when talking about Goku and Iron Man that he said "Only video game characters will appear in Smash." so you can forget about Rich Uncle Pennybags from Monopoly bribing his way into your nearest fighters pass but since Visual Novels like Ace Attorney are sold like video games, Characters from that Genre like Phoenix Wright are fair game.

As for Flash games, since Flash is closing down at the end of this year and Newgrounds is a western centric website, You'll probably never see any Flash game characters appear in Smash. I think the line is drawn at Video game Consoles and PCs

Also I think game exclusive characters from licensed games are barred by the same problem as non-video game characters.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

Logging in for the first time in what feels like forever to say Matt from Epic Battle Fantasy would make me genuinely happy. I love those games to death,

SNEKeater

Smash Master

This strikes me as interesting as this is a very different answer than what Suda usually gives when asked about Smash. He's usually honest with saying that Travis isn't in the game. I wonder what changed.
Very interesting, that's for sure. I don't think this guarantees nothing but to me, Travis was already incredibly likely to be in Pass 2 in some form: fighter, spirit, or Mii Costume. After this I'm like 100% sure he will show up. The question is: as a fighter? I'm not that sure, but I could totally see him happening.

I mean, I always felt he made a lot of sense as one of the potential challenger packs. Completely new series, strong ties with Nintendo, there's fan demand for Travis in Smash, new mainline game coming that as far as we know is exclusive of Switch, Suda would be delighted to putting his character in, Travis would probably be very cheap to license.

Even if he doesn't get anything in Ultimate I always thought Travis in Smash is just a matter of time. I'm like 100% sure he will end being a playable character in the future as long as Suda manages to keep making No More Heroes games.

Personally I haven't played the series yet. Waiting for remasters of 1 and 2, but I guess I could try find and buy the Wii original versions. What about the music? I know it's great, but I'd like to see some suggestions about which songs you hope they would include in the scenario where Travis makes it.
I love this song, if I'm not mistaken it's supposed to be featured in No More Heroes 3.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf all the Mavericks in PS1 X5 were named after Guns and Roses members due to the localizer's husband being a huge fan. Pretty funny too considering an X3 song sounds like a Guns and Roses song
Iirc, they changed them back in the Mega Man X Legacy collection because it produced results like Duff McWhalen. That Maverick has got to be the most unfortunate one of the bunch. His name was originally changed to something stupid, his stage theme is just a remix of Bubble Crab's theme, His weapon was ripped from one of the previous game's weapons and they called it the Goo Shaver (who thought that was OK?), and I think they even reused Bubble Crab's main set piece for his stage.

As for Flash games, since Flash is closing down at the end of this year and Newgrounds is a western centric website, You'll probably never see any Flash game characters appear in Smash. I think the line is drawn at Video game Consoles and PCs
I wouldn't say it's because the line is drawn there, but moreso because most of the Flash games that made their mark are no longer just Flash games anymore. Stuff like The Binding of Isaac, and Super Meat Boy. Even then though, they aren't really that big in the grand scheme of things, so while they are eligible, we probably won't be seeing them as you say (unless the Super Meat Boy series starts picking up steam or something).

Last edited:

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet

I don't see why a character from a Flash or Newgrounds game would be a grey area, they're still from a video game. Obviously we most likely wouldn't get a character originating from a Flash game although I would love to see Alien Hominid or Meat Boy get representation even if it is incredibly unlikely.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Digimon always struck me as a "grey area" franchise. While more well known for the anime, Digimon started out as virtual pets (a spinoff of Tamagotchi in fact). The question is do virtual pets count as video games?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
hot take, but a non-video game character getting in is a matter of when, not if. It won't be in Smash Ultimate, probably won't be when Sakurai's the director, but eventually someone's gonna decide to cave into the Goku support, or give Geralt/Spiderman/James Bond/etc. a pass due to their high quality games, or someone will just deside to play into their biases and add someone they want (i'm not immune to this, if I somehow became the director of Smash Spinel would definitely be in).

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think I've got a little game.

List two characters you can think of that could be paired and revealed together like Hero and Banjo & Kazooie, one with mostly Japanese appeal and the other with mostly Western appeal.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think I've got a little game.

List two characters you can think of that could be paired and revealed together like Hero and Banjo & Kazooie, one with mostly Japanese appeal and the other with mostly Western appeal.
Reimu and Master Chief feels like a pretty good combination tbh

osby

Smash Obsessed
Digimon always struck me as a "grey area" franchise. While more well known for the anime, Digimon started out as virtual pets (a spinoff of Tamagotchi in fact). The question is do virtual pets count as video games?
I don't see why they wouldn't. They are electronic games that involves interaction with a user interface. There is no grey area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom