• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Posted this before, but may as well do it again given the current discussion. It's a 4-way venn diagram I made trying to sort everyone in Smash into 4 categories: physical brawlers, melee weapon users, other weapon/item users and "energy" users.
Honestly we have way more physical fighters than those using swords, and even among the ones with swords we have a pretty equal amount of those using other forms of melee weapons.
character types_v2.jpg

toonito

Smash Ace
Inspired by this tweet...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them? (you don't necessarily have to explain why, but it would help to add more to the post instead of just posting a character name)

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other weapon options in Fire Emblem, or if there's some other reason.

Also, I'm surprised that 2B isn't in the image, and yet Arthur is even though (from what I've read about Ghosts 'n' Goblins) he doesn't use a sword.

EDIT: to be clear, you aren't limited to the choices that are in this image.
Most Wanted: Sol Badguy

grew up with fighting games
Guilty Gear has a great OST
Explosive character with personality representing anime fighting games
Ryu/Ken, Terry, and Sol would be playable in the same game; three of the biggest 2D fighting game protags in Smash

based on the pic there's no character I don't want. I'm not opposed to adding more swordfighters I'd just rather them not be from FE.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well the revealed Way Forward game is neither a 2D platformer or Metroidvania, so expect some salt in that department at least.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Inb4 someone makes a Bakugan support thread.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's been some time since I've seen this many people just straight up leave a Nintendo stream like that. That was like... a 30-40k drop in viewers in less than 2 minutes.
thank goodness E3 was cancelled. this is so NOT E3 material.

hopefully the direct that would have served E3's purpose and has ACTUALLY GOOD STUFF is soon

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's been some time since I've seen this many people just straight up leave a Nintendo stream like that. That was like... a 30-40k drop in viewers in less than 2 minutes.
I suspect the overlap of those that remember/care about Bakugan and were watching this stream was remarkably low.

I.D.

Smash Lord
"If we were really getting a Direct this month why would they announce a new game in a Treehouse stream?"

looooooooooooooooooool

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I can't blame them. I did too. Ignoring the IP that is used, that trailer was SO boring.
This is something you would announce on the side at a regular direct.
Good thing that they told us from the start that the new game wouldn't use a nintendo IP

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
The moment i heard a treehouse was happening i predicted this thread qould be underwhelmed.

My predictions were correct

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When you try to hook people in with the developer instead of the game, and the developer you try to hook people in with is WayForward, you're probably not revealing a Castlevania or a Mega Man or whatever else I saw suggested.

You're probably revealing Bakugan. Which to my knowledge is just a glorified version of marbles.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Bakugan which is like 12 years too late to catch on to when it was big and the game itself is bland as hell.
Even the game's graphics are 12 years too late. Even more so if we're talking 360/PS3/PC and not the Wii.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm probably gonna look stupid, but does Bakugon even qualify for Smash? I've always been confused about that one...
It probably wouldn't, I was just poking fun at how people will make support threads over every little thing.

See: Pokemon the split second a new 'Mon gets revealed.

SKX31

Smash Master
So what DID this game end up being to cause this much salt?
WayForward being the dev did get people hoping, and the game's not standard WayForward fare. WB Games is the publisher it seems (and I'm not surprised that they're probably outsourcing considering they might be sold soon).

Then again, the trailer didn't catch many eyes either.

I'm probably gonna look stupid, but does Bakugon even qualify for Smash? I've always been confused about that one...
*Checks Wiki* Aaaand, nope. Probably not. Anime / toyline that started in 2007. TBF it's had a decent run, but it's telling that it needed a reboot.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You're probably revealing Bakugan. Which to my knowledge is just a glorified version of marbles.
TBH, a virtual simulation of the IRL sphere-rolling game would probably interest me more than the game they’re actually making.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Welp, that was disappointing. Oh well, at least I still have some video games in my backlog to play.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I was too busy playing Yakuza 0 to watch the Treehouse. I'll catch it later to see if Origami King is still worth purchasing in my eyes; I'm not completely against it now, but the initial previews were worrying. The puzzle elements, level design, bosses, and writing may save it, though, so we'll see.

Also lol Bakugan game.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I didn't even know there was a treehouse thing going on today, but yeah the bakugan game looks pretty awful. Between the lack of animations and the bizarre combat(?), most mobile games have more interactivity.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have to admit I do feel a bit for Way Forward having the poor timing of their game announcement coming when there's a (perceived or not) drought of Nintendo announcements and it will be ignored and disliked simply for what its not rather than what it is.

Though given its a Bakugan game, I'm not feeling completely bad for it.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Well when I started working as a cashier at Target this past November, I was surprise that Bakugan's are still being made and even have sold plenty of them to kids. So at least those kind of kids will be happy about this.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Bakugan is quite a blast from the past lol

Those things were all the rage in 5th grade

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm sure the only reason it appeared during the Tree House was because WB Games probably payed for some shill promotion. Probably hoping Wayforward's name would be enough to get people excited when from what I'm hearing the game looks dreadfully dull and like your average licensed game.

Oh well. At least Nintendo's social media people saw that we were hyping it up WAY too much and let us down easy by saying it wouldn't be a first party project. :p

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I'm sure the only reason it appeared during the Tree House was because WB Games probably payed for some shill promotion. Probably hoping Wayforward's name would be enough to get people excited when from what I'm hearing the game looks dreadfully dull and like your average licensed game.

Oh well. At least Nintendo's social media people saw that we were hyping it up WAY too much and let us down easy by saying it wouldn't be a first party project. :p
Yeah this was likely the reason, Nintendo was planning on a direct to air soon and WB/Wayforward had this game to reveal, which was possibly planned to be reveal at WB now cancelled E3 conference and Nintendo rejected to be in the upcoming direct, but WB and/or Wayforward paid to include it in this treehouse stream.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them? (you don't necessarily have to explain why, but it would help to add more to the post instead of just posting a character name)

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other weapon options in Fire Emblem, or if there's some other reason.

Also, I'm surprised that 2B isn't in the image, and yet Arthur is even though (from what I've read about Ghosts 'n' Goblins) he doesn't use a sword.

If the Knight is considered a swordfighter, I choose him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Bakugan WISHES it was as interesting as marbles. It's just tops.
But that's Beyblade

TBH, a virtual simulation of the IRL sphere-rolling game would probably interest me more than the game they’re actually making.
I literally know nothing about Bakugan. I was far too not-a-ten-year-old-boy to have caught its popularity when it was a thing.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Not sure why people were still expecting Metroid 5 or Wario Land 5 in a Treehouse stream of all things, especially after Nintendo said the announcement wasn't going to be a first-party. Still sucks that it wasn't a new IP by WayForward, though.
It probably wouldn't, I was just poking fun at how people will make support threads over every little thing.

See: Pokemon the split second a new 'Mon gets revealed.
Smashboards whenever Game Freak announces a Pokemon

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm pretty sure that guy got his car stolen. It was more hype than the game being Bakugan.

To be honest, I was in tears from laughing when the car alarm went off.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

At the moment, my most wanted unambiguous swordfighter is Isaac. His Adept powers could lend him a unique moveset based around stage control, and Golden Sun is something I think deserves a revival.
For when the lines are blurred a bit, Klonoa and Miriam use swords to some degree but they'd probably use other weapons/abilities as well, and Sol Badguy is technically a swordfighter, but his weapon is more like a club than anything.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
thank goodness E3 was cancelled. this is so NOT E3 material.

hopefully the direct that would have served E3's purpose and has ACTUALLY GOOD STUFF is soon
I can't blame them. I did too. Ignoring the IP that is used, that trailer was SO boring.
This is something you would announce on the side at a regular direct.
Good thing that they told us from the start that the new game wouldn't use a nintendo IP
Yeah, that literally felt like one of those side games that have the purpose of inflating a Direct's time.

I suspect the overlap of those that remember/care about Bakugan and were watching this stream was remarkably low.
Even so, there were still a good 130-140k people who kept waiting for the WayForward announcement. As soon as the trailer started, the counter started dropping. After about 3 to 5 minutes, the counter was in around 99k.

I was too busy playing Yakuza 0 to watch the Treehouse. I'll catch it later to see if Origami King is still worth purchasing in my eyes; I'm not completely against it now, but the initial previews were worrying. The puzzle elements, level design, bosses, and writing may save it, though, so we'll see.

Also lol Bakugan game.
If you want a summary, but also in case you want to see the presentation first.

...Yeah, not looking good. You can basically get Confetti and Coins really easily just by exploring and the Toads actively help in battle depending on how many you've found in the map, so... I think past the first 20 minutes or so, you should be able to finish the game with just the items and coins you find in the world, meaning there's really no incentive for battle. Considering the whole thing with the five streamers you have to break, it's looking to be relatively short, too.

Also, love how they mention that there's no area map like in SS, meaning you just explore the world freely... as if there weren't two games in the series that did this way before OK.

Shame, because the game looks great. The papercraft aesthetic looks amazing, but paired with these mechanics... that's gonna be a pass from me.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
But that's Beyblade

I literally know nothing about Bakugan. I was far too not-a-ten-year-old-boy to have caught its popularity when it was a thing.
I don’t know much about it either. I never tried it myself, so about as much as I remember from the ads is that there were spheres that would fold out into monsters Transformers style if you rolled them out onto cards (which I assume had a layer of metal on the inside so that magnets inside the sphere would make the spheres stick to them, but IDK.) Looks kind of satisfying to see the sphere transform when you aim your shot right, I guess?

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It's not just that it's Bakugan which hardly anyone cares for anymore. It's also that the game looks so bad. The worst graphics I've seen on the switch by a mile. And the environments and battle system just has this complete blandness to it. Even with low expectations, this is disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom