• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I mean thanks to them, it's now canon Rosalina is hiding the ****ing cosmos under her dress. :secretkpop:
That's not even the most bizarre thing about her. She's basically the closest thing the Mario Universe has to a God.

They literally covered up the cleavage of characters like Pyra, Mythra and Camilla though.
Pyra wasn't changed as far as I know. And the other two were changed across the board so I can only assume they were playing it safe when the censors singled them out as unclean.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It's funny how boobs are a no-go but a whole patch this year ****ing revived Thicc Zelda memes just cause an update made a hitbox looks like she was packing hella junk in the trunk.
I'm still waiting for the day Captain Falcon's legendary Nipple Spike from Melee (the strongest spike in the game) returns:

(Damnit, images seem to have crashed. Link to image here)

(And yes, Melee Ganondorf also had this.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Being God is one thing, having the universe as your underwear is another.
That's like the base level for strange as far as Gods go. Look up any mythology and be stunned. And I'm not talking the edited for Schools versions which cut out the ********** and the swan *******.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
That's not even the most bizarre thing about her. She's basically the closest thing the Mario Universe has to a God.

Pyra wasn't changed as far as I know. And the other two were changed across the board so I can only assume they were playing it safe when the censors singled them out as unclean.
My mistake, but for Camilla only the chest was altered. Also with Tharja they didn’t us her key art like every other Awakening character, she uses her portrait art where she covers her chest with a tome.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's like the base level for strange as far as Gods go. Look up any mythology and be stunned. And I'm not talking the edited for Schools versions which cut out the ********** and the swan *******.
Nah, I'll just stick with Mario games being absurd.

Mario Party 6, objectively the best one, probably has a premise weirder than Rosalina's space goods. "Play a board game to dictate which one of us is better or you all ****ing perish" like ok yeah sure. Then they made it like Bowser was a vampire who could only come out at night or something.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'll say it again. Breast are not the problem. It's panties. The Japanese ratings boards have come down hard on panty shots in games, presumably because they were sick of the jokes.

Shantae's spirit got in no bother so why should a model of her be any different?
Just don't give the characters panties then :seuss:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's either the best or second best, but I appreciate your good taste.
I'm assuming the second-best is 2. But 6 will always hold up as the GOAT.

Speaking of Mario Party, where the **** is the Mario Party stage in Smash?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My personal favorite was Mario Party 5 but that might just be my Paper Mario Bias talking. Lord, I spent an embarrassing amount of time on that vehicle battle game.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Deluxe Mii costumes only seem to be coming every other fighter. So we only have 3 left (maybe 5 if we get the extra 4 characters). Vault Boy wasn’t a premium costume, he just happened to work well as a normal one. I think, I don’t remember anyone officially saying he was one.

So I’d like to see:
The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Madeline (Celeste)
Quote (Cave Story)

Hat Kid (A Hat in Time)
Shovel Knight

Geno would work well as one too. But I’d prefer if the Deluxe costumes kept giving some love to Indie games unless we get an Indie playable character.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
What makes a Mii costume ”deluxe”? If they have accompanying music with them? They’re all still the same price, no?

But yeah, I guess some are clearly given more love (Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy), not only with potential music but by modifying the whole model instead of just being a hat etc. They also all have had a special ”intro” when they’ve been revealed, and I see them keeping that going forward - the last costume of each round being a ”special case”.

I’m surprised Shovel Knight isn’t one yet as he’d be perfect for Swordfighter. As long as it ain’t all Mii Gunner’s, I’m good.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Does anyone have any out of the blue picks?
axel from streets of rage doesn't get brought up a whole lot
What characters do you think will get the deluxe Mii costume treatment next? I'm really enjoying how well the vault boy costume works with the gunner moveset. I would love to see a shovel knight costume or maybe a klonoa costume
if he can't be playable, then gimme a quote mii

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They also all have had a special ”intro” when they’ve been revealed, and I see them keeping that going forward - the last costume of each round being a ”special case”.
Sakurai also talks a bit about the "deluxe" costume specifically after the Mii Costumes trailer in the Banjo/Byleth/Min Min presentations.

Heoj

Smash Ace
The best mario party game is obviously Mario Party DS!

Dont listen to me its the only one ive played

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Super random fact: now that the Octopath spirits have been added, this is only the third time that the Spirit Inventory has been a perfect grid - after May 2019 between the Labo and Peachette events, and August 2019 between Hero and Banjo & Kazooie's additions.

By Smash fan theorist logic, this is clear undeniable proof that Lip from Panel de Pon will be the next character.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
...You mean Super Puyo Puyo 2, right? That's the one with Arle.

Tetris Attack was the western version of Panel de Pon, and it wasn't released on the Switch Online thing (Panel de Pon was, though).

I personally still think it's odd that Super Puyo Puyo 2 was picked over Kirby's Avalanche. Legal issues are probably what kept Nintendo from releasing Tetris Attack on the service (which is why we got Panel de Pon instead), but as far as I know, there are no such issues with Kirby's Avalanche.

It seems that Nintendo purposely chose to release an untranslated version of Puyo Puyo 2 instead, but the reason as to why is anyone's guess. I'd like to believe it's related to Smash, but I don't wanna be that guy who thinks everything has something to do with Smash.
Sorry, I just can never remember what it’s called. Tetris Attack is way easier to remember. But yeah, I mean Puyo Puyo (2).
Yeah, and you’re right. Basically what we know is-
>Shin Megami Tensei has an official translated version, but it was only added into Japan’s online version. The reason why, I have no idea.
>Puyo Puyo 2 was also added prior to this with no translation whatsoever, when they could’ve used the ‘translated’ (and also yoshi’d) version instead. Like you said it could be legal issues, but that wouldn’t make sense because
>Kirby’s Avalanche could’ve pretty easily been used, (because of how you phrased it I’m assuming it’s another american puyo puyo game, this time it got kirby’d) but they chose to go for Puyo Puyo 2 instead.
This means that they could’ve added it to introduce us to the character of Arle. Like you said, it doesn’t mean Smash. We could be getting a new game (unlikely since we got a game last year but still) or something. Or it could mean absolutely nothing. That’s why we speculate.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
My personal favorite was Mario Party 5 but that might just be my Paper Mario Bias talking. Lord, I spent an embarrassing amount of time on that vehicle battle game.
Oh yes! People don't realize how fun that was. It was actually MP5 that I consider to be one of the two best along with MP6. (I liked the GC ones more than the N64 ones in general.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What makes a Mii costume ”deluxe”? If they have accompanying music with them? They’re all still the same price, no?

But yeah, I guess some are clearly given more love (Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy), not only with potential music but by modifying the whole model instead of just being a hat etc. They also all have had a special ”intro” when they’ve been revealed, and I see them keeping that going forward - the last costume of each round being a ”special case”.

I’m surprised Shovel Knight isn’t one yet as he’d be perfect for Swordfighter. As long as it ain’t all Mii Gunner’s, I’m good.
I think the music came with Cuphead and Sans because the same people who own the characters also have full rights over the music. Heck, Toby went the extra mile and remixed it.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
YES! The Super Duel Mode from Mario Party 5 was very addicting. I also remember DK being beyond freaking busted when the AI uses him. The car he uses should be in a Mario Kart game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai also talks a bit about the "deluxe" costume specifically after the Mii Costumes trailer in the Banjo/Byleth/Min Min presentations.
Does anybody remember what he actually said about them?

Like trying to define them as a whole, instead of just noting the specific ones as is?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Does anybody remember what he actually said about them?

Like trying to define them as a whole, instead of just noting the specific ones as is?
On the Sans costume he said that Sans was a popualr request and that Toby Fox came at his home to play Smash and that's how Sans is in Smash.
For the Cuphead one he just said that there's a music coming with the Mii and he hopes we enjoy it. On Vault boy he just said "this looks like a giant mascot". It seems that he's aware that Cuphead and Vault boy where kind of a huge deal, but he didn't really have a lot to say about them.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty sure the reason Vault Boy didn’t come with a song unlike Cuphead and Sans is copyright. fallout’s osts are mostly either licensed songs or ambient tracks which hardly fit intense battles

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On the Sans costume he said that Sans was a popualr request and that Toby Fox came at his home to play Smash and that's how Sans is in Smash.
For the Cuphead one he just said that there's a music coming with the Mii and he hopes we enjoy it. On Vault boy he just said "this looks like a giant mascot". It seems that he's aware that Cuphead and Vault boy where kind of a huge deal, but he didn't really have a lot to say about them.
Ah, then it's like I thought, it's not something that was made with some "special" rules in mind. Besides being a fan term more or less, it's just that they all are covered head to toe with a high quality variation on previous costumes.

Being Indie, having Music, these are all bonuses/changes. Though as the other user said above, Fallout didn't really have easy music to license, so that one is just more of an outlier than much anything else. And even then, it's not like the costume needs to have music. That's just a pattern that a few people put too much stock into(myself included, though only at first). Hell, the fact it wasn't "Indie" threw people off. Since when did Sakurai even say it was an Indie thing to begin with? All he did was note some cool bits about them. That's why I can see costumes outside of Indies go this route. If Microsoft starts getting actual costumes, Master Chief, Steve, and a Battletoad(I'd say Fulgore, but I doubt it) could all be plausible options for a Deluxe costume.

...Hell, did he even call it Deluxe or Premium, the current fan names for the costume type? I don't think he did even that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Inspired by this tweet...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them? (you don't necessarily have to explain why, but it would help to add more to the post instead of just posting a character name)

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other weapon options in Fire Emblem, or if there's some other reason.

Also, I'm surprised that 2B isn't in the image, and yet Arthur is even though (from what I've read about Ghosts 'n' Goblins) he doesn't use a sword.

EDIT: to be clear, you aren't limited to the choices that are in this image.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I guess. I don't want anyone to get Mii costume'd. If say Rayman or Shantae got Mii costume'd, I'd be super annoyed. It's a consolation prize, instead of them actually being playable. It feels like an excuse to not make them playable.

You have great moveset potential to pull from, but then you limit them to a generic Mii brawler moveset. It's a bit disrespectful, to be honest.
If Im not going to get Layton or Sora as a fighter, why the **** wouldnt I settle for a mii costume

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them? (you don't necessarily have to explain why, but it would help to add more to the post instead of just posting a character name)
Travis Touchdown because I am appalled the tweet didn't include him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other options, or if there's some other reason.
No Elma in the pic? Anyway, Elma. She’s a dual sword wielder, and also has dual guns and a mech

if it has to be someone in the pic then Yuri Lowell (I’m assuming the purple haired dude is him)

SKX31

Smash Master
Pretty sure the reason Vault Boy didn’t come with a song unlike Cuphead and Sans is copyright. fallout’s osts are mostly either licensed songs or ambient tracks which hardly fit intense battles
Environmental Noises is and will always be my kind of jam. :4pacman:

Nah but seriously that's true on the whole. It's a shame too - if Ultimate had say Mortal Kombat's budget* I could definetely see them including a licensed song with the Vault Boy costume. Especially since the 50s songs that Fallout generally goes with are old enough (we're 60-70 years removed from that decade) that they wouldn't incur huge royalties. The only artist from that era I could see having huge royalties is Elvis.

*(Maximillian Dood mentioned that Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game franchise that has a AAA budget, and I can really see where he's coming from with that.)

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other options, or if there's some other reason.
Dante. 100 % Dante. With Sephiroth, Strider and Sora as close second, third and fourth.

My reasoning is entirely on the Smoking Sick Style (heh) Dante would have - I'm 100 % someone who loves combos and ways to extend them to new heights. Dante having Style cancelling is a major bonus for me personally.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Also, I'm surprised that 2B isn't in the image, and yet Arthur is even though (from what I've read about Ghosts 'n' Goblins) he doesn't use a sword.
i'd say travis, sol, strider or crono but that tweet includes hayato who i hadn't even thought of before and now i want hayato in smash

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Don’t wanna relegate myself to one, so…

-Sora (wanted him since 2017, even though I became a fan in 2015)
-Euden (I genuinely enjoyed Dragalia Lost)
-Sakura Shinguji (mainly for another pure SEGA rep; meaning not like :ultbayonetta::ultjoker:)

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
if it has to be someone in the pic then Yuri Lowell (I’m assuming the purple haired dude is him)
It is. But that render of him is freaking weird. It hardly resembles him.

I would choose Sora, as KH is one of my favorites series in video games.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick?
*sees Yuri and Sora*
*starts sweating*
The Japanese ratings boards have come down hard on panty shots in games, presumably because they were sick of the jokes.
god bless because panty shot jokes arent funny at all anyway

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Crono because I love Chrono Trigger. I don't think he would be the most interesting sword fighter but he would bring an amazing soundtrack with him and I think he would play pretty nicely.

Although I would be just as happy if he at least got a Mii costume. No music to go with him would be a bummer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom