• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Inspired by this tweet...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them? (you don't necessarily have to explain why, but it would help to add more to the post instead of just posting a character name)

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other weapon options in Fire Emblem, or if there's some other reason.

Also, I'm surprised that 2B isn't in the image, and yet Arthur is even though (from what I've read about Ghosts 'n' Goblins) he doesn't use a sword.
Mmh, I don’t have many characters that I want as more than a loophole or nod to their respective character bases. I like Sora because he’s the closest I’ll get to Donald Duck in Smash.

As for non-loophole functions, I think I would pick Zacian, because he is a wolf which is very cool.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them? (you don't necessarily have to explain why, but it would help to add more to the post instead of just posting a character name)

I realize that there's some disdain for adding more swordfighters, though I don't know how much of it is due to the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, where it seems like every single one of them has to have a sword despite the amount of other weapon options in Fire Emblem, or if there's some other reason.

Also, I'm surprised that 2B isn't in the image, and yet Arthur is even though (from what I've read about Ghosts 'n' Goblins) he doesn't use a sword.

EDIT: to be clear, you aren't limited to the choices that are in this image.
I would love a Brian Mii. Mostly cause there's no costumes with a remotely similar Staff or even a cape and staff combo, so it'd help. I don't see him having a chance in hell anyway, so it's a great option otherwise.

I'd love more Fire Emblem characters as Swordfighters too, since there's a ton of really cool ones like Hector who probably won't become playable at any rate. Like Hector~

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Technically Miriam's a swordfighter, her Blue Rose sword's the one used for RotN artwork but the next best choice is her whipsword that you get in Iga's Backpack as her other 2 games have her use a whip. A complaint I've seen about Byleth is how they don't use the whipsword in interesting ways, there's 3 normals, two of which are identical, and their recovery. Miriam's Shards give her an alternative recovery option and you can have her follow up on every sword swing with a whip attack if you press the attack button again like Snake's forward tilt. You can even use these to have her Smash attacks use her Shards more like Riga Storæma as a side/downsmash or something

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Sora would be my choice. As far as why, well I love Kingdom Hearts (surprise surprise), and I think Sora has a lot to offer in terms of gameplay. With all of the different magic variations, moves, and abilities he's had throughout the series you could make several different characters.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick?
Well there is a certain light haired, sword wielding fighter from a mishandled Konami franchise, that's been on Nintendo consoles, with the power of potential flight, often considered the coolest character in their IP, whose most famous game from the 90s is still beloved, and would bring another very strong series of music tracks to Smash. I think we all know who I'm talking about:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The Treehouse Paper Mario livestream will obviously host the reveal of FP7: Paper Dante.
Sounds good to me.

Yuri's face in that photo is... intriguing at best.

I'd clearly choose Dante. But honestly, I don't get why Arthur's in the pic. He isn't a swordfighter lol, putting him there isn't that different from putting Bandana Waddle Dee there

Also. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see Sol as a swordfighter. Technically, his weapon isn't a sword, and it's not like him uses said weapon most of the time, and the way he uses it isn't specially similar to how someone would use a sword.

If I had to choose between swordfighter and brawler I'd define Sol as a brawler.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

Look at the Junkyard Dog MK III.

1594392210160.png

This is not your typical sword. It's a bigass lighter.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

Monster Hunter's most iconic weapon is a sword, so I'm going with that.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Old post but does Saki count?
Honestly I only want him because of how much I love Sin and Punishment. That’s my only reason.
He’s also fun in Smash Bros Crusade and has some broken ladder combos which would break Ultimate so he’s cool.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It was targeted towards an idea, not any person in particular. Like, they used they word "it." They aren't even talking about the community.
I'm sorry but, if you say "Never liked this Deluxe costume idea for Geno, it's silly." followed by "It just seems like passive-aggressive gate-keeping." you aren't talking about the idea, you are talking about the people that HAVE that idea. Because the idea is not a person, it doesn't have a motivation. It can't be passive-aggressive. It can't gatekeep.

It's just calling people who want Geno to have a deluxe costume passive-aggressive gate-keepers, with an extra step.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

My choice would be Yuri Lowell.

The Tales franchise, while not exactly everyone's cup of tea, is one of my favorite JRPG series, and Vesperia is my favorite one. While the game suffers a bit in storytelling near the end, it has what is probably (IMO, at least) one of the best cast of main party members I've ever seen, and Yuri is a big part of that: He's sassy, he's cool, he has a great character arc that deals with concepts of justice, and he's all around a fun, albeit flawed character. He's really interesting compared to what is viewed as the typical Tales protagonist, and to make things better, he wouldn't just use a sword! He's also proficient at using axes, so there's the potential to throw those into his moveset as well.

Honestly, Tales' combat has always seemed like a good fit to me for Smash, given that Vesperia's combat has some similarities to Smash gameplay, in that there's a button for normal attacks and a button for specials (Artes). The overlimit gauge also seems like something that would translate well over into Smash gameplay, so I'd be super curious to see how Sakurai would work it in. There's also the fact that Vesperia has perfect Final Smash material via Mystic Artes (there's even a spoiler one Sakurai could use, as he loves to do. :p).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don’t get it when people say Shantae would make a good Mii costume... like... have you seen what she wears?
I mean, granted, it would look awful. But that hasn't stopped them. *looks at Callie & Marie outfits*

What makes a Mii costume ”deluxe”? If they have accompanying music with them?
That's part of it. But there's also the factor of it being a full model, instead of looking like your Mii character wearing a Halloween costume.

Sans, Cuphead and Vault Boy look like they're actually those characters, and not a Mii with, say, a Sans mask on.

If you had to choose one swordfighter for Fighters Pass 2, who would you pick? Why would you pick them?
Ryu Hayabusa for all the obvious retro icon reasons.

He throws them sometimes, but Arthur doesn't actually have melee attacks in his own games. He just throws weapons. Although he does have melee attacks in the MvC games.

TFW you cant fight while Butcher Pete plays in thr bg
Big Iron!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Zacian, because a ginormous wolf who fights with a literal sword is just too epic to pass.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman

From this pic, Lloyd and Dante easily, hot blooded swordsmen clad in red is my thing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Can't choose between Elma or 2B...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Steve (does he even count?) - Got fond memories playing Minecraft, plus moveset would be cool.

Elma - Dual swords, dual guns, AND A MECH? YES PLEASE!

Sora - I played KH1 recently, I enjoyed it

Ryu Hayabusa - classic game, cool character, would come with a killer soundtrack

Sorry, can't choose just one

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Well I do see a certain white-haired sword user (that also uses guns) that wears red and black, in that post....but its not the right one!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I’m torn between Dante & 2B. I love DMC, especially DMCV. Dante would have such a cool moveset & his personality would be fun to see in Smash. Plus, DMC has a 20 year legacy to it. Buuuut I love Nier: Automata more than any DMC game & I think 2B would be a great Joker style pick.

Sora is up there too. But I think he’s iffy on if he’s a sword wielder or not. Keyblades aren’t really swords & Sora sort of uses his more like a blunt object than as a sword.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

Might be a bit of an odd choice but I'd pick Vyse from Skies of Arcadia because he's pretty cool. Plus I really like the music in that game. Though I realize he's got little to no chance.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm so torn between Ryu Hayabusa and Sora. Love both those characters so much, but I think I'd have to give it to Sora since KH would be a major inclusion for both hardcore Smash fans and casual fans alike

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Broke: Waluigi, Isaac or Spring Man as a same game AT promotion
Woke: Lyn as a same game AT Promotion
GALAXY BRAIN: Riki time!
Riki will make fine fighter after assisting Shulk in Final Smash...

Especially after Falchion man does same thing.

I don't know how Riki speaks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ok but

KNOWLEDGE SO GREAT YOU'VE ASCENDED TO ANOTHER PLANE OF EXISTENCE: Rathalos. yes he's a boss, AT AND now playable too because **** you

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Spring Man as a same game AT promotion
TBH as much as I believe there's darker intentions behind "wait until next game" I think now that is the case with Spring Man, unless he's a bonus later on with no side content and reused assets from Min Min plus a bunch of punchy fighters to replace her kicks.

That and Sylux, he too shall wait until next game.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
TBH as much as I believe there's darker intentions behind "wait until next game" I think now that is the case with Spring Man, unless he's a bonus later on with no side content and reused assets from Min Min plus a bunch of punchy fighters to replace her kicks.

That and Sylux, he too shall wait until next game.
Sylux doesn't have a spirit tho...

but... at this rate theyll make a spirit event for him so... they'll probably include Adeleine in a Spirit event too at this rate

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
on a side note, I'm surprised Decidueye and Lycanroc aren't Pokeballs and/or Spirits either

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A playable Nopon in Smash would actually be a great fit but I think Riki's ship has sailed since he's already been assigned three roles.

I'd still pop off in the unlikely scenario that the Heropon ends up being our new Xeno rep, though.
i was gonna say i don't count base game spirits against anyone because Min Min, but... Riki's a "Special" Spirit, one restricted in WoL (Dojo/Store owner) so yeah

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I cooked up a little Classic Mode for the Heropon; it’s called Rising Heropon, where he fights characters who don’t look like they’d ever amount to anything.

Round 1: :ultwario:(Overalls) on :mky: (Ruins - Wario Land: Shake It!)
Round 2: :ultpichu:x2 on Prism Tower (Gold/Silver Medley)
Round 3: :ultness::ultlucas:on Onett (Pollyanna (I Believe in You))
Round 4: :ultdoc:on Green Greens (Chill (for 3DS/Wii U))
Round 5: :ultduckhunt:on Living Room (Balloon Trip (Brawl))
Round 6: Giant :ultrob:x2 on Wrecking Crew (Mechanical Rhythm)
Final Round: Master Hand and Crazy Hand (team battle w/:ultshulk:; You Will Know Our Names)

Last edited:

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet, but my choice is going to go to the human incarnation of Winnie the Pooh:
OIP.jpg

Honorable mentions to a Bravely Default character, who could use whatever weapon they so pleased, including swords.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I’m torn between Dante & 2B. I love DMC, especially DMCV. Dante would have such a cool moveset & his personality would be fun to see in Smash. Plus, DMC has a 20 year legacy to it. Buuuut I love Nier: Automata more than any DMC game & I think 2B would be a great Joker style pick.

Sora is up there too. But I think he’s iffy on if he’s a sword wielder or not. Keyblades aren’t really swords & Sora sort of uses his more like a blunt object than as a sword.
Tell that to Sora.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Dante. Sephiroth, 2B, Sora, Sol and Travis come close, but Dante is at the very top for me. He's the one I most want to see in Smash, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom