• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
My idea is free Echoes for Switch Online Subscribers.
Which is like $3 if you buy one month JUST for the Echoes.
So if you buy a subscription you get 'free' easy-addition characters?

Works for Fire Emblem Heroes, and we all know how much Sakurai loves Fire Emblem.
(Resplendent Heroes are basically skins of existing characters with +2 to each stat, for reference.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Free Echoes is as ridiculous as the idea that a Nintendo character was guaranteed for the first pass because the bundle was cheaper than buying them seperately, that's still a model, a voice actor and unique animations that have to be made, they're not gonna give you something that cost them man hours and salaries for free no matter how little the resources spent are in comparison to a regular newcomer

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Free Echoes is as ridiculous as the idea that a Nintendo character was guaranteed for the first pass because the bundle was cheaper than buying them seperately, that's still a model, a voice actor and unique animations that have to be made, they're not gonna give you something that cost them man hours and salaries for free no matter how little the resources spent are in comparison to a regular newcomer
If anything, they'd just be half price.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Multiple freebies, yeah, that's a bit much. But doing one or two seems reasonable. Especially if they can have them act as cross-promotion for other Switch titles.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Multiple freebies, yeah, that's a bit much. But doing one or two seems reasonable. Especially if they can have them act as cross-promotion for other Switch titles.
I thought you said cross-platform, which I interpreted as crossover content, and thought "what, are they going to add a Smash game to Animal Crossing, but the only two playable characters are the new Echo Fighters?"

Yeah I need sllep. Now.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Dang I haven't posted here in a while...

I've been out of the loop for a long time when it comes to Smash news/rumors: so do we have any idea on when the ARMS reveal/Nintendo summer showcase could possibly happen?

I tried looking some pages back but all I could find was echo talk and the usual Fire Emblem arguing

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I've been out of the loop for a long time when it comes to Smash news/rumors: so do we have any idea on when the ARMS reveal/Nintendo summer showcase could possibly happen?

I tried looking some pages back but all I could find was echo talk and the usual Fire Emblem arguing
Nope.

But people are postulating the 16th as it is a Tuesday, which is historically when these come out, smack dab in the middle of the month, and the ARMS anniversary.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Indeed. They don't even give you Mii costumes for free. They aren't going to give away Echoes.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I expected us to get a single echo-fighter freebie as an early adopter bonus, and to help create good will around Ultimate's DLC practice. Sometimes games give free little bonuses at the start of their DLC cycle to help bring attention to the paid options, so it just made sense to me.

Instead we got fully fledged character in :ultpiranha:. While the internet was exploding with salt I was just like "wow, that's a much better freebie then I had initially hoped for".

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know much about how other fighting games handle clones but irrc Smash ones are either returning veterans or are produced by idle staff during the final portion of the development.

It's entirely possible that the DLC crew simply doesn't have extra time to work on echoes due to a smaller amount of manpower.

Staarih

Smash Master
Echoes as DLC kinda defeat the purpose imo. There is no dead set schedule or rush to get the game out on release day or anything, so no "last minute" clones would technically be needed, as they'd have the time to make them unique and sell with full price as DLC. Unless they just want a quick buck after Fighter Pass 2, I don't think DLC Echoes will happen.

But if they do, I think Octoling and Dixie Kong would probably benefit the most of an Echo-treatment now. Ideally I'd like to see both of them be made separate, unique characters, but if this is their last resort for Ultimate, then why not - they can be reworked more in the hypothetical next game.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well the popular dates are the 9th, when Nintendo's E3 presentation would have been and the 16th.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Say, if we'd get more Echo Fighters, who would you suspect would be added? Say we get a 3rd Fighter Pass, only Echo Fighters, 6 characters max. Which characters would you want / suspect ?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Also, since it's DLC, the characters can become more unique, like Ken or Chrom.
-OOOH-kay... I don't like echo fighters very much but if they can have the properties of their normals and specials changed like the Melee clones then that's good. It's the reason why I don't hate Ken as an echo fighter. I'd give each echo fighter some different knockback angles and have their attacks deal more or less damage than their base counterparts. Too lazy to list them though so I'll just go over their specials and whatever else.

:ultlink:: :linkmelee:; Exactly the same as he was in Melee so he'd be exactly the same as... Link... He's an exception since he arrived in Smash first.
:ultbowser:: Dry Bowser; Essentially a smaller Giga Bowser with nerfs given to stop them being boss tier attacks.
:ultgreninja:: Sceptile; Replace the water swords with it's Leaf Blades. Up Special would be Leaf Tornado which would be cloned from Hero instead, Neutral Special would be Energy Ball which is cloned from Mewtwo's Shadow Ball (Kind of silly how you cannot store Greninja's water shuriken), Side Special would be Pursuit where instead of controlling where Sceptile will go, Sceptile will automatically try to attack the opponent and deals more damage if they are facing away from it. Finally Down special would still be Substitute.
:ultluigi:: Dr. Luigi; Ran out of characters I wanted at this point. Contrary to Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi would be a faster but weaker version of Luigi. He would have his slippery traction and a higher jump than Luigi. His Up special is strongest at the height of the move, Down special being Dr. Cyclone with it back to being a recovery move, Side Special (Which I call the Air Ambulance) travelling faster than Green Missile and Neutral Special being Fast Capsule taken from Dr. Mario's custom special from Smash 4 (I would change Dr. Mario's neutral special to the Mega Capsule just to match it)
:ultdiddy:: Dixie Kong; Up special would be changed to the hair copter, Neutral special would be a Bubble gum pop gun, Monkey Flip grab would have Dixie jump and kick off from her opponent and Down Special would be bubble gum toss which Dixie would toss away like Diddy Kong's Banana Peel but the gum has a gooey effect instead of slip effect.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Yooka & Laylee; Instead of a third jump, Holding jump while in the air will allow Yooka and Laylee to glide, Neutral B would be Sonar shot which has a subtle wind hit box. Holding down the button does not give them their own version of the breegull blaster, Up Special would be Lizard Leap, Side Special would be Reptile Rush. While it doesn't grant them super armour like wonder wing, Yooka and Laylee's attack is non committal allowing for follow up attacks. Finally their down special is unique being Sonars splosion. Charge up the attack to release a sonic wave that stuns nearby opponents and grants them super armour, this move can only be used 5 times per stock.
:ultlink:: :linkmelee: but with a more modern moveset.
You had me with Melee Link but then you had to say modern moveset.

My idea is free Echoes for Switch Online Subscribers.
Which is like $3 if you buy one month JUST for the Echoes.
So it's basically a fighters pass?

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Just got back into Smash yesterday. Can’t believe I’m still having to wait for a good female dlc character that is actually, y’know, her own complete character. What gives?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Say, if we'd get more Echo Fighters, who would you suspect would be added? Say we get a 3rd Fighter Pass, only Echo Fighters, 6 characters max. Which characters would you want / suspect ?

Also, since it's DLC, the characters can become more unique, like Ken or Chrom.
Octoling - :ultinkling:. A more aggressive take on the moveset. The big change is that Octoling's ink increases knockback, not damage. Splattershot is replaced by Splat Dualies, a weaker attack that you can dodge while using. Splat Roller is replaced by the dynamo roller, a much slower attack that kills directly. Splat Bomb is replaced by curling bomb, a more linear attack, but more powerful. The new final smash is taken from the end of Octo Expansion.

Tom Nook - :ultvillager:. Turnips are replaced by bags of bells, otherwise the same.

Proto Man - :ultmegaman:. Generally a frailer but stronger Mega Man. He has a shield, which works like Link's. He takes a few of Merga Man's old custom moves from Smash 4, namely Shadow Blade, Danger Wrap, Tornado Hold, and Plant Barrier. In his Final Smash, he is allied by all of the "secondary" characters in the Mega Man series (such as Zero), along with Mega Man & Bass.

Blaziken - :ultfalcon:. From a statistical perspective, identical. it's up-B is Sky Uppercut, whixh is pretty much identical to Ken's Up B. Neutral and Side B have their animation altered to be a kick. Final Smash is identical functionally, but it now features Mega Blaziken using Brave Bird.

Shadow - :ultsonic:. He's a bit slower, but also a bit stronger. His up B is Teleport and his Down B is Chaos Control, ripped from Mewtwo and Bayonetta respectively.

Mettaton - :ultzss:. I couldn't think of anything else for the sixth slot.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Say, what do you think about the possibility of a Smash Ultimate Special Edition with:

-All the DLC
-A few new fighters
-A few more new stages (both for veterans and newcomers)
-A few more WoL cutscenes
-Grima and Porky as bosses
-3 more rounds in Classic Mode with a Brawl-style Target Test as the first Bonus Round
-Way more music (both for current reps and newcomer series, as well as music for the Other section)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I know a lot of people think this Pass will primarily be First Party. But I don’t think that’ll be the case.

I think Sakurai’s statement about adding “new worlds” is still a focus of the characters we’ll see. With Astral Chain & Ring Fit getting spirited away, there’s not really anything I can see Nintendo picking that’s a new world to Smash from their own library. I don’t think they’ll dig in their IP graveyard for the likes of Golden Sun, Advance Wars or Chibi-Robo. Unless we’re lucky enough to see revivals of some of those series lol

Now I do think we’ll see a character that’s not from a “new world”, much like Byleth. Probably a Xenoblade or Pokemon character. But I don’t think that’ll be the majority of the pass.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Say, what do you think about the possibility of a Smash Ultimate Special Edition with:

-A few new fighters
-3 more rounds in Classic Mode with a Brawl-style Target Test as the first Bonus Round
With these extremely specific additions? Pretty much zero.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

-A few new fighters
eh, sure, why not

tho i do think we could have a full-blown wol expansion instead of just a few cutscenes added

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

-A few new fighters
I wouldn’t really think that’s enough for me to spend $60 on a full new game. Not unless it comes with all of Ultimate’s DLC already packaged in and I can sell my current game for the same price I paid for it. I’d love to see target smash back, and more fighters/stages are always great, but it sounds more like DLC than a new game to me.

Plus I’d rather have Porky as a fighter. Though if they brought him back at all I’d enjoy it.
I know a lot of people think this Pass will primarily be First Party. But I don’t think that’ll be the case.

I think Sakurai’s statement about adding “new worlds” is still a focus of the characters we’ll see. With Astral Chain & Ring Fit getting spirited away, there’s not really anything I can see Nintendo picking that’s a new world to Smash from their own library. I don’t think they’ll dig in their IP graveyard for the likes of Golden Sun, Advance Wars or Chibi-Robo. Unless we’re lucky enough to see revivals of some of those series lol

Now I do think we’ll see a character that’s not from a “new world”, much like Byleth. Probably a Xenoblade or Pokemon character. But I don’t think that’ll be the majority of the pass.
Ya, I think this pass is going to be more of a mixed bag than the last one. Probably more like 3 first party, 3 third party. I could even see a 4 first party, 2 third party scenario or vice versa. But I definitely don’t think it’s gonna be 5-1 favored one way or the other.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Sakurai's "New Worlds" comment was a mistranslation. He was originally talking about expanding the world of Smash, which is much more vague about that world will expand.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai's "New Worlds" comment was a mistranslation. He was originally talking about expanding the world of Smash, which is much more vague about that world will expand.
That will be conveniently ignored because it wouldn't be "hype" enough.

See also: "Smash is a video game crossover" not actually meaning "Go, my son. Gatekeep the first-parties, and you shall be rewarded with Crash."

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just wanted to mention, I reread that Sakurai column that PushDustin tweeted yesterday, the one from back in March. He does mention traveling to “Nintendo” and then “other companies” in two different phrases/statements.

Here’s a pic:
E8F9B1C6-3331-42EC-BFA6-81869344D347.jpeg

This, to me, essentially says that we aren’t getting an entirely first party pass, though I don’t think anybody expected that 100%. I can’t remember if that was talked about when this article first came out or not, but I do think it’s worth pointing this out.

As he refers to “other companies” I would say that means at least two (2) non-Nintendo characters.

Just something interesting in my humble opinion.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just wanted to mention, I reread that Sakurai column that PushDustin tweeted yesterday, the one from back in March. He does mention traveling to “Nintendo” and then “other companies” in two different phrases/statements.

Here’s a pic:
View attachment 274091
This, to me, essentially says that we aren’t getting an entirely first party pass, though I don’t think anybody expected that 100%. I can’t remember if that was talked about when this article first came out or not, but I do think it’s worth pointing this out.

As he refers to “other companies” I would say that means at least two (2) non-Nintendo characters.

I'm not sure if that truly implies whether we're getting first or third parties. Sakurai could be talking for example about companies with IPs that Nintendo own like Monolith Software or HAL Laboratory, who are not situated in Nintendo's HQ. I also don't think we're getting a full first party pass but I don't think this interview implies how many first or third party characters we're getting.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm not sure if that truly implies whether we're getting first or third parties. Sakurai could be talking for example about companies with IPs that Nintendo own like Monolith Software or HAL Laboratory, who are not situated in Nintendo's HQ. I also don't think we're getting a full first party pass but I don't think this interview implies how many first or third party characters we're getting.
While that is a possibility, I think it’s fair to make an inference that he is talking about non-Nintendo affiliated companies.

Could the company he referred to be Inteligent Systems? Maybe, but that assumes either FE or Advance Wars, or Paper Mario. Could it be Monolith Soft? Perhaps, but that essentially points to Rex or a pick for XCDE.

So in some capacity, it gives us answers. That said, I feel it’s a sound inference to think he’s referring to non-Nintendo affiliated companies, even if we don’t have a solid number of them.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
While that is a possibility, I think it’s fair to make an inference that he is talking about non-Nintendo affiliated companies.

Could the company he referred to be Inteligent Systems? Maybe, but that assumes either FE or Advance Wars, or Paper Mario. Could it be Monolith Soft? Perhaps, but that essentially points to Rex or a pick for XCDE.

So in some capacity, it gives us answers. That said, I feel it’s a sound inference to think he’s referring to non-Nintendo affiliated companies, even if we don’t have a solid number of them.
I also think in context he probably meant third parties, I'm just presenting the possibility that he could've also meant companies with first party ties to Nintendo. It's hard to guess or present an estimate on how many first or third party characters we could get since stuff is still unclear about this pass.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

Here’s a pic:
View attachment 274091

The "other companies" part (referring the fact there are multiple and not only one) could honestly be a mistranslation due to the lack of context. Keep in mind that the Japanese language lacks plurals. Plurals are mostly made understood through context, or a number preceding it. So he could be referring to only one 3rd Party Company or multiple. The amount is still in the air.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Best not to infer anything specific from Sakurai's quotes. We did that with the "new worlds" comment, and that ended up being completely wrong.

For now, let's just look at what he said and take it at face value. Meeting up with other companies outside his own has been difficult.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Best not to infer anything specific from Sakurai's quotes. We did that with the "new worlds" comment, and that ended up being completely wrong.

For now, let's just look at what he said and take it at face value. Meeting up with other companies outside his own has been difficult.
I don't really think it's "completely wrong", when every fighter, Challenger Pack 1-6 has come from a series/game that wasn't previously in Smash whatsoever (save for the Spring Man Assist Trophy).

Every single character in the first Fighter Pass was from something that wasn't previously in Smash. We didn't have anything from Persona 5, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, Dragon Quest, or Fire Emblem Three Houses. Now we have ARMS, which is just like the others in which we can get entirely new music, a new stage, and a full playable character.

There's nothing wrong with making inferences when there's plenty of space to consider what he could mean by it. Just kinda boring in my opinion to say, "We can't guess anything, we can only take the guy for what he says, etc". That's super boring.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't really think it's "completely wrong", when every fighter, Challenger Pack 1-6 has come from a series/game that wasn't previously in Smash whatsoever (save for the Spring Man Assist Trophy).

Every single character in the first Fighter Pass was from something that wasn't previously in Smash. We didn't have anything from Persona 5, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, Dragon Quest, or Fire Emblem Three Houses. Now we have ARMS, which is just like the others in which we can get entirely new music, a new stage, and a full playable character.

There's nothing wrong with making inferences when there's plenty of space to consider what he could mean by it. Just kinda boring in my opinion to say, "We can't guess anything, we can only take the guy for what he says, etc". That's super boring.
Besides that, "only from new worlds" is the actual mistranslation. "Expanding Smash by adding new characters" is more accurate, which explains things like ARMS quite well. It fits that, as it gives us more ARMS content, directly expanding Smash alone. 3H is no different.

That's why it's much easier to see an already represented franchise through AT's/Spirits plausibly get in beyond ARMS. They do fit his more correct statement. Doesn't mean they're in a special position either, since Nintendo wanted to promote ARMS. Will they for other franchises? Maybe?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Besides that, "only from new worlds" is the actual mistranslation. "Expanding Smash by adding new characters" is more accurate, which explains things like ARMS quite well. It fits that, as it gives us more ARMS content, directly expanding Smash alone. 3H is no different.

That's why it's much easier to see an already represented franchise through AT's/Spirits plausibly get in beyond ARMS. They do fit his more correct statement. Doesn't mean they're in a special position either, since Nintendo wanted to promote ARMS. Will they for other franchises? Maybe?
I'd say no. "Expand the world of Smash" just sounds like another way to say "add more content". To me, it's like Reggie's statement: It sounds nice, but when you realize what they mean you're just like "well duh!".

EDIT: I misread your post a bit and thought you were posing a question. What I said still makes sense, just think of it as more of an addition to what you said than an answer to it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
On the topic of Echo Fighters, one thing has always made me wonder

Going into Ultimate, Donkey Kong and Metroid were in similiar situations when it came to content and characters. Coming out of it, Both got their Really big Fan demands (K.Rool and Ridley), however one franchise got an extra character in the form of Dark Samus. Dixie was absent

It's weird because i would think Dixie would be a bigger Priority than Dark Samus. She's more popular and relevant than Dark Samus, and was more requested as well, on top of being planned for Brawl (as duo with Diddy). One thing i see mentioned with Echoes is that they are a way to get Fan requested characters by making them clones of others, who otherwise might not make the roster.

Does Dixie's absense, along with other Popular Echo Requests like Shadow imply that Sakurai sees them as eligible to be Playable as their own someday, maybe even in this DLC?
Sakurai likely wouldn't make Dixie a Echo because of this all. Dark Samus is just more Echo material than Dixie. Dixie just has way too many defining abilities for her to be a Echo. Sure Dark Samus could've been more more unique, but like Pit and Dark Pit, Dark Samus is a literal clone of Samus, and thus has acces to the same basic abilities as Samus. Dixie doesn't share this with Diddy, not in the slightest. This is also why I didn't list Dixie as one of my chosen Echoes.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

-OOOH-kay... I don't like echo fighters very much but if they can have the properties of their normals and specials changed like the Melee clones then that's good. It's the reason why I don't hate Ken as an echo fighter. I'd give each echo fighter some different knockback angles and have their attacks deal more or less damage than their base counterparts. Too lazy to list them though so I'll just go over their specials and whatever else.

:ultlink:: :linkmelee:; Exactly the same as he was in Melee so he'd be exactly the same as... Link... He's an exception since he arrived in Smash first.
:ultbowser:: Dry Bowser; Essentially a smaller Giga Bowser with nerfs given to stop them being boss tier attacks.
:ultgreninja:: Sceptile; Replace the water swords with it's Leaf Blades. Up Special would be Leaf Tornado which would be cloned from Hero instead, Neutral Special would be Energy Ball which is cloned from Mewtwo's Shadow Ball (Kind of silly how you cannot store Greninja's water shuriken), Side Special would be Pursuit where instead of controlling where Sceptile will go, Sceptile will automatically try to attack the opponent and deals more damage if they are facing away from it. Finally Down special would still be Substitute.
:ultluigi:: Dr. Luigi; Ran out of characters I wanted at this point. Contrary to Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi would be a faster but weaker version of Luigi. He would have his slippery traction and a higher jump than Luigi. His Up special is strongest at the height of the move, Down special being Dr. Cyclone with it back to being a recovery move, Side Special (Which I call the Air Ambulance) travelling faster than Green Missile and Neutral Special being Fast Capsule taken from Dr. Mario's custom special from Smash 4 (I would change Dr. Mario's neutral special to the Mega Capsule just to match it)
:ultdiddy:: Dixie Kong; Up special would be changed to the hair copter, Neutral special would be a Bubble gum pop gun, Monkey Flip grab would have Dixie jump and kick off from her opponent and Down Special would be bubble gum toss which Dixie would toss away like Diddy Kong's Banana Peel but the gum has a gooey effect instead of slip effect.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Yooka & Laylee; Instead of a third jump, Holding jump while in the air will allow Yooka and Laylee to glide, Neutral B would be Sonar shot which has a subtle wind hit box. Holding down the button does not give them their own version of the breegull blaster, Up Special would be Lizard Leap, Side Special would be Reptile Rush. While it doesn't grant them super armour like wonder wing, Yooka and Laylee's attack is non committal allowing for follow up attacks. Finally their down special is unique being Sonars splosion. Charge up the attack to release a sonic wave that stuns nearby opponents and grants them super armour, this move can only be used 5 times per stock.

You had me with Melee Link but then you had to say modern moveset.

So it's basically a fighters pass?
Just use young link

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Regardless, I don't think that particular comment should be used to narrow anything down like people had been doing earlier this year. Whatever point Sakurai was trying to get across to us was misinterpreted.

Any new character would technically succeed in "expanding the world of Smash". Even characters like Waluigi or Dixie who are representing neither a new franchise or a new game will bring with them new stages, new music, and new Spirits.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Even then, each character/series has their own reasons for being added, in other words, even if we get Spring Man, it ultimately means nothing in a unique situation for say, Waluigi or Isaac.

That's why, in my humble opinion, it's hard to say much else on "upgrades" until we not only see who we get from ARMS. I would argue, even if we do get Rex, for example, after Spring Man, it would still be difficult to say whether or not "most of the pass" would be upgrades. Rex is similar to ARMS in that they "would have" been in the game if the timing worked out better. But besides that, XC2 is quite different from ARMS.

There's also the fact that, up until now, we've strictly gotten protagonists from new series/new entries from already included series, especially for DLC. If that observation holds true, that doesn't bode well for particular characters who don't fit that mold.

There's a first time for everything, but think there's just this kinda weird nihilistic mentality that, "because we aren't always right, we shouldn't talk about anything!" If that's the case what are we even here for?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
And the thing with Dark Samus is that she's quite literally dead and buried in her franchise. Metroid Prime 3 was the definitive end to the Phazon saga and literally ends with her and all Phazon in the universe being destroyed.

Going back on all of that would be hilarious levels of backtracking. Tanabe himself agreeds with that, hence why he officially declared Dark Samus to be a retired character in an interview some time ago.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Regardless, Tanabe continued, two particular storylines wrapped up in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption would not be revisited.

"The stories of Dark Samus and Phazon are done now," he confirmed, before adding that the series would still focus on other Prime-series elements.
This is what I mean when I say that Dark Samus getting in as an echo fighter is, essentially, her consolation prize.

Dixie on the other hand still has the chance of appearing in future DK games, the bottle hasn't been sealed for her like it has with Dark Samus. So that's why people are far less accepting of her being an echo than they were with DS.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Regardless, I don't think that particular comment should be used to narrow anything down like people had been doing earlier this year. Whatever point Sakurai was trying to get across to us was misinterpreted.

Any new character would technically succeed in "expanding the world of Smash". Even characters like Waluigi or Dixie who are representing neither a new franchise or a new game will bring with them new stages, new music, and new Spirits.
You know, this doesn't prove how that statement is wrong, just that you don't like what it could imply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom