• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The earliest we'll see an announcement for the presentation is Sunday night(which I think is Monday afternoon in Japan). That's usuallly when a DLC character presentation is announced.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I haven't heard those stories but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they happened.

Shout-out to Koopaul Koopaul for making these wonderful illustrations.
Ok so the Yakuza story's not entirely proven so it's an urban legend but that Jalter one?
tumblr_inline_p6ourhPhOl1u9v6mf_400.jpg

Fate fans are wild. Their stupid franchise has made more money than Zelda and is actually possible to get in Smash

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've seen it, and I like it for what it is (the artist is P-Fritz, make sure you give credit). However, I do agree to wishing it made use of his other two starting ARMS.

Which is why I wanted to ask this: how's my moveset in comparison?
Intro: Spring Man falls down and lands on his arms, bouncing into his fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from ARMS.

Idle 2: Spring Man briefly looks towards the camera and smiles.

Idle 3: Spring Man flexes, mimicking one of his renders from ARMS.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Default (Blue)
-Left input colors (Brown)
-Right input colors (Red)
-Down inputs colors (Cyan)
-Springtron (Black)
-Dr. Coyle (Green)
-Max Brass (Gold)
-Hedlok (White)

Walk: His walk from ARMS.

Jog: His jog from ARMS.

Dash: His dash from ARMS.

Damage: His damage animation from ARMS.

Jump: His jump from ARMS.

Crouch: Spring Man ducks behind his Toasters.

Weapon of Choice: ARMS, a special type of melee weapon designed for ARMS fights.

Jab: Spring Man uppercuts twice (8%, OK knockback), flurries attacks with his Toaster ARMS (1-3% each, small knockback), and then finishes with a punch with a fire effect (7%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Spring Man reaches out one of his ARMS at a moderate distance (8%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man punches with one of his ARMS.
Up+A: Spring Man uppercuts above himself in an arc with his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)

Air+A: Spring Man spins around, letting his ARMS flail (11%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Spring Man extends his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Spring Man extends his right ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Spring Man arc uppercuts with his right ARM (12%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Spring Man punches diagonally downward (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); this mimics one of his renders from ARMS.

Dash Attack: Spring Man punches with a brief shockwave around one of his ARMS (9%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Spring Man semi-propels himself back onto the stage (8%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Spring Man spins around with his ARMS (13%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Spring Man punches with a multi-hit Boomerang, similarly to his Assist Trophy counterpart (17%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Spring Man punches both his Toasters together, created a burst of flames (18%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man takes his Tribolts and creates a huge shockwave of electricity that slightly shocks himself (21%, medium knockback)

Grab: A shortened version of the normal ARMS grab.
Pummel: Spring Man uses the Toaster ARMS to squeeze his target (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Byte & Barq’s throw (14%, medium knockback)
Down+Throw: Spring Man throws the target on the ground like he’s shooting a basketball into the hoop, burying the target (13%)
Back+Throw: An altered version of Ribbon Girl’s throw (14%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Spring Man’s throw (17%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Tribolt
; Spring Man fires three orange tip missiles out of one of his Tribolt ARMS (9%, small knockback). Hold B to fire the missiles out of both ARMS, which can stun a target (19%, OK knockback)
B + Forwards : Boomerang; Spring Man lets out one of his Boomerang ARMS. It goes an okay distance, and then returns to him (4%-7% per hit, small knockback). The angle can be adjusted as it goes out and returns.
B + Up : Slingshot Grab; Spring Man fully extends his ARMS towards the sky. When he grabs a ledge, he propels himself straight upwards. When he grabs a target, he propels himself towards them and bounces them away (15%, OK knockback), stopping him midair (1.3% recoil)
B + Down : Shockwave; Spring Man briefly summons a shockwave around himself that pushes back fighters (6%, small knockback) and nullifies any attack that gets close to him.

Final Smash: Rush Flurry; Spring Man flurries targets in a HUGE horizontal area (39%) and then deals a finishing blow that can hit multiple targets (20% each hit, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: When Spring Man hits 100% damage (or the last ¼ of his HP in Stamina Battles), he will glow red, which not only boosts his attack power by x1.3, but also slightly alters his specials:

-Tribolt can now Fire an endless amount of missiles, albeit only 4 at a time (6% each, OK knockback)
-Boomerang now envelops itself in winds, but with slightly less range and no ability to change its angle (24%, medium knockback)
-Slingshot Grab now goes the furthest Spring Man’s ARMS can go, as well as reduces the recoil taken when grabbing a target (.6% recoil; 19%, medium knockback)
-Shockwave now has a bigger radius (14%, OK knockback) and reflects projectiles, but needs a 3-second cool down.

Taunts
1: “Spring-a-Ling!” “Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing!" Spring Man’s selection animation from ARMS.
2: Spring Man mimics one of his renders from ARMS, where he punches towards the camera with his left ARM.
1+2: “Alright!” Spring Man flexes his right ARM.

Winposes
1: Spring Man’s victory animation where he handstands and jumps back onto the ground, raising his left ARM in victory.
2: Spring Man’s victory animation where he propels himself with his right ARM, and then raises his left one again.
3: Spring Man’s Grand Prix victory animation from ARMS, belt and everything.

Icon: The ARMS symbol.

Boxing Ring Title: The Springy Bouncer

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/R3ocoaGhKFw

Kirby Hat: Spring Man’s hair, mask and irises.
Not bad. Wouldn't mind at all if this was his moveset.

The only thing I'd change is the up-special. It's a little similar to Byleth's, minus the slingshot part. I was thinking we could use this arm instead.

35045.png

Spring Man launches his parasol as far as it can go before opening it and pulling himself up. Glides for a short amount of time.

I know this is also similar to an existing character, but I think it would be nice to reference as many different arms as possible, similarly to Inklings and their weapons.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ok so the Yakuza story's not entirely proven so it's an urban legend but that Jalter one?
View attachment 273877

Fate fans are wild. Their stupid franchise has made more money than Zelda and is actually possible to get in Smash
For the Final Smash, Altera comes in and proclaims Gacha to be Bad Civilisation before razing the stage to the ground

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Here's my take on the Spring Man's Special Moveset, with a focus on ARMS's mechanics:

• Neutral Special: Stretch Grab (feel free to insert a better name)
    • Spring Man launches both ARMS in order to try and grab an opponent from afar. It is a slow attack that is canceled out by any other attack, but allows him to recover by grabbing the ledge, or another opponent (grabbing an opponent in the air brings Spring Man to his opponent).
  • Side Special: Dash
    • Spring Man dashes in the direction pressed (in the air, it can be angled up or down). Holding the attack button while on the ground will cause Spring Man to manually charge his ARMS. If you let go while he is charging he will send out a deflect ring that clashes with attacks and nullifies projectiles.
  • Up Special: Air Grab
    • Stretch Grab, but angled at a 45 degrees. It allows Spring Man to grab ledges and opponents from underneath.
  • Down Special: ARM Switch
    • Brings up the ARM selection window around Spring Man. Spring Man has the choice of assigning the Toaster, Tri-Bolt, or Boomerang ARM to his left or right hand. This is done by letting go of the special button with the tumbstick in the following positions
      • For Left hand: :GCUL:(Toaster):GCL:(Tri-Bolt):GCDL:(Boomerang)
      • For Right hand::GCUR:(Toaster):GCR:(Tri-Bolt):GCDR:(Boomerang)

I think this could be fun, but it may make him more of a grappler than he should be, and I suspect a lot of people will tell me it's boring. If you'd like, you can make his Neutral Special his grab, and swap it and his Up Special for whatever you'd want.
Your post and Koopaul Koopaul 's image made me realize something that for some reason had eluded me.

No matter who we get for an ARMS rep... we're being treated to the sight of Kirby with ARMS.

I sense memes.

...Now, just so I actually say something interesting here: I think there's a chance we might see Sky Arena as a stage regardless of who the fighter is. I know, it is technically Max Brass' stage, but it's also set high up, meaning it could be prioritized for the blast zone (something I believe also happened with Great Plateau Tower) and it is also the one stage where you would always fight in ARMS' arcade mode, regardless of who you're playing.

Lastly, we know that stages don't have to be specifically associated with the character that comes with it - a recent example being Terry, as he came with KoF Stadium rather than one of his stages from Fatal Fury or KoF.

osby

Smash Obsessed
For the Final Smash, Altera comes in and proclaims Gacha to be Bad Civilisation before razing the stage to the ground
Astolfo as the main fighter or I'm throwing my copy of Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch to thrash.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
When being playable is considered a consolation prize, I think the term has lost all meaning in a Smash context.
Being an echo fighter is not exactly always ideal.

Like Dark Samus could of had a far more unique moveset than what she currently has, as demonstrated by her former assist trophy. But they're obviously not going to put full investment into a character that has long disappeared from her series and also doesn't really have the same overwhelming fan demand that K. Rool had. It was either bringing back the AT from Smash 4 or just making her a glorified alt costume of Samus with some different cosmetic animations. Thus, a consolation prize.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Being an echo fighter is not exactly always ideal.

Like Dark Samus could of had a far more unique moveset than what she currently has, as demonstrated by her former assist trophy. But they're obviously not going to put full investment into a character that has long disappeared from her series and also doesn't really have the same overwhelming fan demand that K. Rool had. It was either bringing back the AT from Smash 4 or just making her a glorified alt costume of Samus with some different cosmetic animations. Thus, a consolation prize.
How does this example work for Chrom, who now fights exactly as Sakurai envisioned he would play like some hybrid of Marth and Ike, with the powerful rushdown of Roy fitting Chrom more than it did Roy

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
View attachment 273877

Word of advice: Jalter fans opinions don't tend to count.

Seriously, in a fanbase filled with people simping over waifufied historical figures, they are simps amongst simps for their almost fully generic big tiddy goth gf who is fictional even inside her own fictional universe.

Seriously, even Astolfo, Raikou and Scathach fans are more chill even if the latter had someone use all their life savings to roll her.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It looks like Nintendo screwed up...again, if this is to be believed. My friend sent me this link and I'm suprised no one is talking about it

https://screenrant.com/smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-character-leak-amiibo/

Nintendo screwed up on the amiibo listing and there was at one point a blank space between Sonic and Toon Link. Since the amiibo are listed in alphabetical order, that means that the Fighter would be either Spring Man or Springtron

Can anybody give me some evidence of this occuring?
Old and debunked. It’s now Squirtle in that place

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It looks like Nintendo screwed up...again, if this is to be believed. My friend sent me this link and I'm suprised no one is talking about it

https://screenrant.com/smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-character-leak-amiibo/

Nintendo screwed up on the amiibo listing and there was at one point a blank space between Sonic and Toon Link. Since the amiibo are listed in alphabetical order, that means that the Fighter would be either Spring Man or Springtron

Can anybody give me some evidence of this occuring?
It's Squirtle, this is old news

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I believe that Byleth was always planned but I also believe that the pass had a designated 1st party slot because the when the whole pass is bought it's at a one pack discount. They needed one without royalties to make economic sense.
This is part of the reason why, I see FP2 having more first parties and why we are getting 6 as a oppose to the 5 we got with FP1. I have a sneaking suspicion with the deadline being the end of 2021, they are working with a smaller and maybe a reduce budget, but they don't have to worry about royalties as much for first party characters and the 6th character came from saving a bit of money this time due to having not to pay royalties for third parties.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Looking back at my old picture I think I would do the moveset a little differently. However I definitely think an ARMS fighter needs a command grab. Being able to reach out and grab your opponents while in the air is vital to an ARMS fighter.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Delzethin just posted his Third Party discussion for FP2:
TL:DR version:

Geno, Steve, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, Rayman, Sora, and Quote.

Honorable mentions: Activision Blizzard Characters, Bethesda characters, Level-5 characters, Arc Sys characters, additional Sega characters, Echo Fighters, many others

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If a character not getting in Smash means that Sakurai hates them, then hoo-boy, Sakurai must hate a lot of characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

kindpng_166624.png

God I forget how much money gambling gacha makes just because of how hellbent people are on those pulls.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If a character not getting in Smash means that Sakurai hates them, then hoo-boy, Sakurai must hate a lot of characters.
Sakurai clearly hates every single character who doesn't make it into Smash Bros., and he clearly doesn't care about what the real fans want.

Until they make it into Smash in a later game - then he changed his mind and doesn't hate them any more, because he clearly cares about what the fans want.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sakurai clearly hates every single character who doesn't make it into Smash Bros., and he clearly doesn't care about what the real fans want.

Until they make it into Smash in a later game - then he changed his mind and doesn't hate them any more, because he clearly cares about what the fans want.
PFFFT...that right there sums up everything about Smash speculation.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sakurai hates the beloved gaming icon Lana from Pokemon, and her exclusion from Smash is a deliberate attempt from Sakurai to rewrite history where he doesn't matter and only FE and third parties do.

/s, but unfortunately I copied this almost verbatim from someone who genuinely believes this over on gamefaqs.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakurai hates the beloved gaming icon Lana from Pokemon, and his exclusion from Smash is a deliberate attempt from Sakurai to rewrite history where he doesn't matter and only FE and third parties do.

/s, but unfortunately I copied this almost verbatim from someone who genuinely believes this over on gamefaqs.
What makes this even worse is that Lana is a girl.

EDIT: I can see why they'd think she's a boy, but if you're gonna make a silly claim like that, you should at least fact check yourself on what facts you do have.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You may be a fan, but are you a real Smash fan like me? I want a true iconic video game character like Dart from the Legend of Dragoon, and the fact that Sakurai hasn't included such a pivotal icon for gaming means he hates that I, a real Smash fan, wants a real gaming character instead of someone as stupid, dead, and insignificant as Simon Belmont. Like, hello? Castlevania has been dead for decades! Clearly he doesn't care about the real industry stars.

But hey, you wouldn't understand, you aren't a real Smash fan like me. :secretkpop:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I may say that sakurai secretly hates geno.
Masahiro Sakurai: "I love you, Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus Aran, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox McCloud, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Princess Peach Toadstool, Bowser Koopa, Popo & Nana the Ice Climbers, Sheik, Princess Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco Lombardi, Marth, Young Link, Ganondorf Dragmire, Mewtwo, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Solid Snake, Ike, Pokémon Trainers Red and Leaf with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic the Hedgehog, King Dedede, Pikmin & Olimar of each species except Rock oh and also Alph, Lucario, Robotic Operating Buddy AKA R.O.B., Toon Link, Wolf O'Donnell, Villager from Animal Crossing, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Greninja, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner, Palutena, Dark Pit, Pac-Man, Lucina, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr. and Koopalings, Duck Hunt dog and duck, Ryu, Cloud Strife, Corrin, Cereza AKA Bayonetta, Inkling, Princess Daisy, Ridley Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Ken Masters, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Ren Amamiya AKA Joker, Heroes from Dragon Quest in general, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry Bogard, Byleth Eisner, a character from ARMS and five others~" -gives each one a good night kiss-

-Then he turned to the side and saw every other single fictional character in existence staring at him-

"...Ew, stay away from my sight, you dumb trash!"

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What makes this even worse is that Lana is a girl.

EDIT: I can see why they'd think she's a boy, but if you're gonna make a silly claim like that, you should at least fact check yourself on what facts you do have.
I was gonna change the character's name to someone else, then I decided this guy doesn't deserve to be anonymous and changed it back to Lana. Forgot to change the pronoun with the name.

Sakurai hates the beloved gaming icon Lana from Pokemon, and her exclusion from Smash is a deliberate attempt from Sakurai to rewrite history where he doesn't matter and only FE and third parties do.

Worst part is I think I know exactly who you're talking about. What a... fascinating individual, that's all I'll say.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
If Smash were a fan-fiction, who would be the leader of the “unchosen?” Geno or Waluigi?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I love how Sakurai recently admitted that he doesn't tell us which games he's currently playing because we always interpret it as a clue or hint for an upcoming character.

Sad thing is, it probably won't stop there. "Sakurai said he went shopping for some new clothes!! Style Savvy in Smash?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom